What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Sony Michel (1 Viewer)

Michel continues to be a stand out in camp . . . catching the football. He said today that he is much more comfortable this time around understanding his role in the passing game and where they want him to be. He also commented that he's in much better health than in previous camps, and he feels like he's in a good place mentally and physically. Of course, I am sure that just jinxed him and he'll be on IR in a matter of hours.

I know there's still talk of him getting traded or released, but I just don't see it. He continues to see extensive work with the starters in practice and has been catching everything thrown his way. Yeah, I know. If I saw that statement out of the blue, I wouldn't believe it either. If Harris is getting a lot of work as a pass catcher in camp, either I missed it or reporters haven't been mentioning it.

My best guess for Michel is that they are trying to mold him into a Rex Burkhead type role. Harris will likely get 2 out of 3 series and Michel the other. But Michel most likely would be used situationally on top of that. I would expect White to continue to be used as the 3rd down back and on passing downs.

It's really hard to figure out how things will work with and without Cam, but I would tend to guess Harris will see 12-14 carries (sometimes a couple more) while Michel will see 8-10 carries (sometimes a couple more) but a more active role as a pass catcher (maybe 2-3 targets a game). I still think Harris and Michel end up a lot closer in fantasy scoring than some sites have them projected (most sited have Harris scoring twice as many fantasy points as Michel).

That being said, Cam kills the value of both Harris and Michel and Newton will vulture a lot of goal line looks. IMO, both Harris and Michel might have to score from outside the 5 or 6 yard line if they are going to get in the end zone. I also think that NE ends up passing a lot more this season (maybe an extra 75-100 passing attempts with an extra game factored in), but that likely means more Mac and less Cam.

NE may not have the roster space to initially keep all their backs, and the thoughts on JJ Taylor vary but they may try to get him on the practice squad (and hope no team swipes him). I still feel that Stevenson will get the mostly freshman redshirt season unless injuries pile up.

Assuming that Jones plays sooner than later (although that may not happen) . . . and each guy plays 15 games:

Harris 200-950-6 | 10-80-0 = 149 in PPR
Michel 125-550-3 | 30-270-2 = 142 in PPR
White 40-160-2 | 50-400-1 = 124 in PPR

That would probably get Harris and Michel into the mid 30's in rankings and White in the 40's.

Last season, Harris, Michel, Burkhead, and White combined had 318 carries and 86 receptions. If there were 17 games last year, that would have projected to 338 and 91. What I projected above adds up to 365 and 90 . . . which seems reasonable if Jones takes over at midseason (and therefore there are fewer QB rushing attempts), which would also allow for more passing attempts.

Michel with 4 receptions on 4 targets (plus another reception called back on a penalty) in the early going vs. the Eagles tonight. 

Michel with 4 receptions on 4 targets (plus another reception called back on a penalty) in the early going vs. the Eagles tonight. 
Best he has looked since his rookie year...moving very well...between Harris, Michel and Stevenson the Pats are very deep at RB right now.

Best he has looked since his rookie year...moving very well...between Harris, Michel and Stevenson the Pats are very deep at RB right now.
Not to mention James White (and Cam at the GL). So basically want no part of any of them like most years. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the Rams were a trade option when Akers got hurt. But that didn’t seem to get much traction since then. Michel wasn’t going to get cut. Wonder what the picks are.

Obviously this bumps up Harris, Stevenson, White, and Taylor. 

I was always hoping ATL for new digs with Michel.  I suppose there’s as much opportunity with LAR as there was in NE, guy in front isn’t the most durable (at least in perception)

Seems like a great win-win trade all around. The Pats can wash their hands and the Rams get a veteran option in a position of need. 

Oh and the Rams slam just a little further than balls-deep in their win-now window 

The potential for this was there the second Akers went down...the Rams are a very aggressive organization that are in a win-now mode and have zero issues dealing picks...once Akers got hurt the probability of dealing for a veteran RB was very high and looking at the landscape the two that made the most sense to me were Michel and David Johnson...for the Pats many had predicted this...Michel has had an up and down stay with him and once they renounced his 5th year option the clock was ticking on his Patriots career...with Stevenson and Taylor playing well in camp they had a logjam at RB and something had to give...good deal for both teams...if Michel can stay healthy (a big if) he will be a nice addition to the Rams this year and the Pats get picks as they continue their rebuild/transition from Brady to the Mac Jones era.

NE gets conditional 5th and 6th round picks. Not sure what the conditions are. 
Per Rapsheet on Twitter, Rams are projected to receive a compensatory fourth rounder in 2022. If they indeed receive that pick, the 5 & 6 convert to the 4th. 

Sent to everyone on the Footballguys list. Hopefully everyone here is on the list but just in case.

Big news this morning. And bad news for Darrell Henderson fans.

ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting: "Patriots are trading RB Sony Michel to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for two late-round conditional draft picks, per sources. New England gets back two picks, the Rams get needed talent and depth at running back."

Our Sigmund Bloom has this:

"Sony Michel played some of the best football of his career at the end of 2020 and according to camp reports he picked up where he had left off. The Patriots fourth round pick Rhamondre Stevenson had been doing too many good things in the preseason for Bill Belichick to basically redshirt him as he typically does with rookie backs other than Michel, who was a first round pick.

"Stevenson moves into the 1A role with Damien Harris. Whether this hurts Harris because Stevenson takes over goal line work with his straight ahead style, or helps Harris because he'll get more work as the most experienced early down back in New England is yet to be seen, but Harris is cheap enough to take the plunge either way, especially with Cam Newton's status as the starter a little shakier after he had to stay away from the team this week due to covid regulations that only apply to him because he is unvaccinated.

"On the Rams side of things, Darrell Henderson was getting the bubble wrap treatment this summer and still hurt his thumb, which might have made Sean McVay anxious. Michel should at least take the edge off of Henderson's upside, if not force a committee. Henderson is not worth taking at his ADP now and the air has gone out of the Xavier Jones/Jake Funk injury upside balloon, but both Michel and Stevenson become late round targets in deeper drafts."

For deeper breakdowns, we just released Sigmund's feature here: "Reacting To The Michel And Etienne RB Developments".

Let us help you all season long with information like this. Our Footballguys Premium Subscriptions are the edge you need. We have a 30 Day Money-back Guarantee so there is Zero Risk. We'll give you everything we can to help you win at fantasy football.

I hope you'll join us.

Peace,

I never bought the Henderson hype or that he would be their star RB this year...but I bet Henderson was going a few rounds higher for the last many weeks. 

I never bought the Henderson hype or that he would be their star RB this year...but I bet Henderson was going a few rounds higher for the last many weeks. 
Went middle third last night in a Terminator draft.  

I'm not sure the castoff of a mediocre running game is really much to worry about.  IMO, DH is still the starter, but the Rams having concerns about his ability to be a Gurley man is likely warranted.  DH has never carried the full load of a backfield.  Sony is there to spell him and keep the legs fresh in a 17 game season.

I also find this to be GREAT news for those of us who have already been targeting Damien Harris in the 6th or later as a depth pick.

I'm not sure the castoff of a mediocre running game is really much to worry about.  IMO, DH is still the starter, but the Rams having concerns about his ability to be a Gurley man is likely warranted.  DH has never carried the full load of a backfield.  Sony is there to spell him and keep the legs fresh in a 17 game season.

I also find this to be GREAT news for those of us who have already been targeting Damien Harris in the 6th or later as a depth pick.

Agree on both points. 

I might drop Henderson one round in redraft, but I still like him in that offense. 

And this should be excellent news for Harris, as we know how Bill treats his rookie RBs. Might bump him a round up. 

Agreed...Henderson isn't going to be a super high volume guy IMO.  Still has a lot of value after this.

Definitely makes me more apt to possibly trust an NE RB in Harris where I was hesitant with Michel around.

Good news for Michel, Harris, AND Rhamondre. 
On further reflection, I am not really sure this helps Harris. IMO, this just reassigns the touches Harris wasn't going to get anyway. But it likely gets Stevenson more consideration for goal line touches. Harris potentially losing short TD opportunities to both Newton and Stevenson can't be viewed as a good thing.

On further reflection, I am not really sure this helps Harris. IMO, this just reassigns the touches Harris wasn't going to get anyway. But it likely gets Stevenson more consideration for goal line touches. Harris potentially losing short TD opportunities to both Newton and Stevenson can't be viewed as a good thing.

Agreed. One of those RBs - probably Michel - was going to get clipped anyway, so probably an overall nothing burger here.

Michel will probably eat into Henderson's carries in LA as the season wears on.

Agreed. Talk to me on what you expect for the year from Harris and Rhamondre. 

I would probably expect Harris to lead a committee, like most people project.

But one less guy in front of Rhamondre is a good thing. To my mind, we know Michel and Harris aren't special. Special backs show it right away. Harris' best quality is that he wasn't Michel, who was a bust for owners. Rhamondre just might be a special ball carrier. Most likely not, but as a mid round rookie pick, his value just went up a decent amount.

Someone mentioned JJ Taylor, he looked really nice in that game last week, but I know little else about him.  

This is a very valid thought.

On further reflection, I still think it is because I felt like Michel could have taken over the 1A job. Now Harris' main comp for that job is a rookie, who is probably not a great pass catcher, and probably not as fast as Harris. 

Agreed. One of those RBs - probably Michel - was going to get clipped anyway, so probably an overall nothing burger here.

Michel will probably eat into Henderson's carries in LA as the season wears on.
Michel looked very good last year and looked even better in camp. He could easily take on a much bigger role than people expect in L.A. He was slated to have a decent sized role in NE. Not sure how up to speed people were on Michel, but he's been working this offseason as a pass catcher. He has a well rounded game, he's been healthier and hasn't shown limitations from his knee, and has looked pretty crisp. He's always a candidate to get dinged, but it would not shock me if he carved out a decent sized role with the Rams this year.

I saw probably three carries by Michel this preseason. What I saw was a much better player than I saw the last two years. For whatever that's worth...

This was so easy to see coming. Both NE trading Michel and Rams trading for a RB and figured odds were high they'd be a match.

Michel will be a plus version of Malcom Brown. Immediately the best pass protector and interior runner  and primary backup and that's his floor role.

Rhamondre obviously big winner in this as that's one less guy and his Eddie Lacy type skill set offers as high upside as I've seen from a RB on this team in quite some time, but he's still the backup to Damian Harris.

I saw probably three carries by Michel this preseason. What I saw was a much better player than I saw the last two years. For whatever that's worth...
If you want a more fleshed out analysis of this, Michel has done a much better job running with conviction, hitting the hole, making sharper cuts, and having his body squared up when attacking the LOS. In prior years, he hesitated hitting the hole, didn't always run the play as called, danced in the backfield some, and many times his body was angled more East to West than North to South at the point of contact. That makes a huge difference, as he was susceptible to arm tackles before and would often get stuck in the backfield for losses when he could have lowered his shoulder and picked up 2, 3, 4 yards.

He also has been much more active as a receiver this offseason and IMO was likely going to fill the role that Rex Burkhead filled. I projected him for 30 receptions this year had he stuck with the Pats. He could be a 150-175 carry, 30+ reception back this year. Of course, with the caveat "if healthy."

This was so easy to see coming. Both NE trading Michel and Rams trading for a RB and figured odds were high they'd be a match.
It's one of those things that made so much sense that you expect it not to happen. Nice to see it happen though.

Even if my Jake Funk shares just became Fake Junk shares. 

I agree with this and it was enough to make me question where I had Harris ranked.  I guess that is why I think this is a good thing for Harris.

I can see Michel being used quite a bit as well, but that should be a really good offense, so I like them both (DH and SM) to have value.

Surprised Atlanta didn't make a run at him, but maybe they did.  Do we know what was on the other side of the deal, yet?

Michel will be a plus version of Malcom Brown. Immediately the best pass protector and interior runner  and primary backup and that's his floor role.

Rhamondre obviously big winner in this as that's one less guy and his Eddie Lacy type skill set offers as high upside as I've seen from a RB on this team in quite some time, but he's still the backup to Damian Harris.
I am pretty sure they have reservations about RS in the passing game. I doubt he has a grasp on blitz pickup and am doubtful he will have the pass protection chops that NE wants to protect their QBs. Stevenson probably will get short yardage carries and garbage time use late in games if the score is lopsided one way or the other. But that's still more than he was looking to get a couple of weeks ago.

Here's my hot-take: I think Michel is a better RB than Henderson, and is a more similar player to Akers than Henderson is. 

I agree with this and it was enough to make me question where I had Harris ranked.  I guess that is why I think this is a good thing for Harris.

I can see Michel being used quite a bit as well, but that should be a really good offense, so I like them both (DH and SM) to have value.

Surprised Atlanta didn't make a run at him, but maybe they did.  Do we know what was on the other side of the deal, yet?
As posted by someone else earlier, NE gets a 5th and a 6th, but the Rams are anticipating getting a 4th round compensatory pick. If that happens, NE would get that pick instead.

On @SiriusXMFantasy  just now —

@AdamSchefter

on the Rams trade •Darrell Henderson’s “talent not in question”, durability is

•when Henderson hurt his thumb, Rams were “rattled” about their RB depth

•Sony Michel now has a new “chance to thrive” away from New England

On a normal team I would agree.  On the Patriots one less semi-trustworthy guy to magically get 25 touches on some random week when Harris is in your starting lineup is a very good thing, especially given that the next man up is a rookie.

On a normal team I would agree.  On the Patriots one less semi-trustworthy guy to magically get 25 touches on some random week when Harris is in your starting lineup is a very good thing, especially given that the next man up is a rookie.

Absolutely...I am very high on Stevenson but a couple of rookie fumbles and he could be in BB's doghouse real fast and without Michel around the path for Harris (and Stevenson) is much clearer as we know exactly what White is and while JJT is still a little bit of a mystery at his size you can guess what his role will be.

Users who are viewing this thread