What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Sony Michel (1 Viewer)

I am viewing Michel as a better Dion Lewis. And that is really good. Not best RB in the league ever but still very good RB1/2 on any given week.

This draft disappoints when compared to last year where you had 5 FF players go in the first 10 picks to solid destinations. Or the average draft for that matter. When you're mulling over a quarterback or a 2nd or 3rd round running back at the 1.05, it's not a solid draft for FF.

Last edited by a moderator:
This draft disappoints when compared to last year where you had 5 FF players go in the first 10 picks to solid destinations. Or the average draft for that matter. When you're mulling over a quarterback or a 2nd or 3rd round running back at the 1.05, it's not a solid draft for FF.
I would suggest that maybe you wait until after tonight to post your "doom and gloom" scenarios about rookie drafts.

Its a good fit for the Pats, obviously Bill doesn't give a rat's ### about our fantasy football concerns, but to invest in Michel at that point in the draft tells me Bill has a vision, as he usually does, that will provide some RB1 weeks, and that this guy will be an asset you'll be happy to have as depth when the time is right.

Its a good fit for the Pats, obviously Bill doesn't give a rat's ### about our fantasy football concerns, but to invest in Michel at that point in the draft tells me Bill has a vision, as he usually does, that will provide some RB1 weeks, and that this guy will be an asset you'll be happy to have as depth when the time is right.
He invested that same first in Brandon Cooks last year. 

I would suggest that maybe you wait until after tonight to post your "doom and gloom" scenarios about rookie drafts.
I'll stop the doom and gloom for now. But with respect to Michel, I know a lot of people really like him. This selection may have deflated them a little bit.

I'll take the contrarian view here:  I think picking Wynn and Michel in the first round and trading away Cooks possibly signals a shift towards a more I formation, run/play-action approach to take the pressure off of the Pats shaky defense. My guess is that BB will give Michel an awful lot of run as a rookie. He could end up being undervalued in drafts.

This selection may have deflated them a little bit.
just tuck him away and hope he pays off

if he is really good putting him in your lineup could be like cheating

he may be so busy learning the o that using a butler could come in handy

he could lead you to an undefeated season, just don't lose the championship

also, spygate

I'll take the contrarian view here:  I think picking Wynn and Michel in the first round and trading away Cooks possibly signals a shift towards a more I formation, run/play-action approach to take the pressure off of the Pats shaky defense. My guess is that BB will give Michel an awful lot of run as a rookie. He could end up being undervalued in drafts.
I think that is exactly what is going on. So guess we are both contrarian. Haha

Patriots seem to mostly whiff when they swing hard for RB and WR in the draft. 
What does "swing hard" mean?

They've drafted exactly three running backs in the past 10 years.  White, Ridley and Vereen. All have been relatively productive players but none of them have Michel's upside or explosiveness.

I also agree that this is not a bad landing spot.  NE picking him in the first eliminates (for me at least) any concern about the "bone on bone" rumor.  The "don't draft a Belichick RB" rule has probably evolved because he hasn't recently had any backs with talent like Michel.  When you've got a stable of re-treads, you tend to play situationally or go with the hot hand.  Michel could certainly be the clear #1 back here... unless he fumbles too much.

What does "swing hard" mean?

They've drafted exactly three running backs in the past 10 years.  White, Ridley and Vereen. All have been relatively productive players but none of them have Michel's upside or explosiveness.
You are right, I thought they had taken more WRs earlier than they had but It's really just Dobson Rd2, Maroney Rd1, Chad Jackson Rd2, 

Guice and Chubb to Indy and TB this evening is almost too obvious. Would make for a pretty clean top 5 depends on landing spots I guess of a few othe players. 

Guice and Chubb to Indy and TB this evening is almost too obvious. Would make for a pretty clean top 5 depends on landing spots I guess of a few othe players. 
Who are the sneaky teams that could take Chubb and Guice that would be worst case for fantasy? 

Cleveland has 2 of the first 3 picks.  Considering reports that Cleveland was looking at Penny, I think it's very possible one of them is going to the Browns.

Who are the sneaky teams that could take Chubb and Guice that would be worst case for fantasy? 
Cleveland, Miami, San Diego, Carolina.

Cleveland and Carolina probably the most likely "bad" spots.

Regardless, seems a lot more likely that they'll end up in a good spot with Indy, Tampa, Denver, Detroit, Washington all coming up on the clock soon (some of them multiple times).

Denver is a good situation imo, despite owning Booker in two leagues. If Denver takes one in Round 2, I think he's in a bell-cowish role.
I hope so. I'd love to break my "don't own Denver RB" rule. Just when I think I have it figured out it's all messy. But yes, I think long term it's a great scenario. Maybe short term one of them would take the reins and never look back. But I think it's "less good" than WAS/IND/TB

Cleveland, Miami, San Diego, Carolina.

Cleveland and Carolina probably the most likely "bad" spots.

Regardless, seems a lot more likely that they'll end up in a good spot with Indy, Tampa, Denver, Detroit, Washington all coming up on the clock soon (some of them multiple times).
Good calls. I really think Cleveland takes Guice with their next pick. Carolina has to get a bigger back in the draft. 

Michel and Wynn to NE. Wowza

Jon Gruden emphasizing offense so far. An RB pick is almost definitely in the cards, perhaps as soon as tonight. Maybe Guice to play with and eventually supplant his idol Beastmode.

Detroit could/should be taking a RB as well. 
I feel like they aren't going to. I would be inclined to think that if Ragnow is as good as they think and if the OL is healthy next year, the improved blocking will allow Ameer, Theo and Blount to be an effective trio. 

I feel like they aren't going to. I would be inclined to think that if Ragnow is as good as they think and if the OL is healthy next year, the improved blocking will allow Ameer, Theo and Blount to be an effective trio. 
Possibly true. Thought perhaps Kerryon Johnson in 3rd. More pressing needs, I suppose. 

Mike Mayock's 2018 NFL Draft Day 1 takeaways

Excerpt:

Staying Pats: New England hung out at No. 23 and 31. They didn't move up or down. They got their left tackle in Isaiah Wynn, who's a perfect fit their scheme. He fits what Pats offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia looks for. Plus, the Patriots got, maybe after Saquon Barkley, the most explosive back in the draft in Georgia's Sony Michel. I don't think Michel's quite as advanced in the passing game, but he's got an opportunity with Tom Brady in that offense to be special early.

gianmarco said:
Cleveland has 2 of the first 3 picks.  Considering reports that Cleveland was looking at Penny, I think it's very possible one of them is going to the Browns.
Not sure why they go there that early with them having Duke and investing in Hyde.  They need to reinvest in their line and in their defense before they need an early round RB.  They could use some depth RB's but this draft has some guys that will be available later that would be excellent for them to take a shot at.

ffweasel said:
Possibly true. Thought perhaps Kerryon Johnson in 3rd. More pressing needs, I suppose. 
If Guice or Chubb aren’t available at 52 I can definitely see Johnson or Freeman in the 3rd. I can guarantee you they are taking a RB with one of these two picks...unless there is nothing left in the third rd. 

Not sure why they go there that early with them having Duke and investing in Hyde.  They need to reinvest in their line and in their defense before they need an early round RB.  They could use some depth RB's but this draft has some guys that will be available later that would be excellent for them to take a shot at.
:coffee:

Users who are viewing this thread