What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you define "workplace culture"? (1 Viewer)

moleculo

Footballguy
I have a meeting with our companies new president in a few hours to discuss transforming our "workplace culture".  I don't really know what that means.  I'm not the kind of guy who buys into " mission statements" and all that jazz.

I suppose I could describe a toxic culture where people stab each other in the back constantly.  That's not us.  

How would you guys describe your workplace culture and what should I be discussing?

One way to avoid 'workplace culture' discussions being vague and pointless is to just go through a series of hypothetical scenarios with difficult choices and attempt to answer the question of "what would we do if faced with this choice?"

Once you go through a bunch of those, it's easier to tease out the consistent threads or themes into something resembling a description of the culture you want the company to have.

How would you guys describe your workplace culture and what should I be discussing?

A few questions to help prompt your thinking:

• How comfortable are people trying a new or innovative process or idea?
  • Is information freely shared across teams or is it siloed?
  • Do people typically have opportunities to advance and grow within the firm or do they frequently have to leave to do so?
  • Are there significant obstacles to doing what people  know is right for the customer and/or the shareholders?
  • Not sure how to phrase as a question, but something about diversity and inclusion. How comfortable someone of a different culture, race, gender, or sexual orientation may feel in the company.

You could take an even broader version of the 'diversity and inclusion' question above...if the company is mostly young, single people who go out drinking after work...how comfortable would someone be who has a family and wants to head straight home?  Or if the company is mostly people in their 40s and 50s who have been working together for decades, how would a newcomer in their 20s feel?

I have a meeting with our companies new president in a few hours to discuss transforming our "workplace culture".  I don't really know what that means.  I'm not the kind of guy who buys into " mission statements" and all that jazz.

I suppose I could describe a toxic culture where people stab each other in the back constantly.  That's not us.  

As someone that does a branding for a living, IMO this is an issue. IDK What type of work you do, but "culture" is a by-product of having clear mission, vision and value statements.

Culture is not pizza parties or a foosball table in the break room. It is best cultivated by everyone in the organization being aligned on the company's goals and removing those who don't share it. Not be draconian and fire 1/2 the staff, but everyone needs to feel their job is contributing to the larger goal and w/o mission and vision statements, its hard for them to know where their role is contributing. 

that said, some of the better ways to promote good culture is
• open transparency policy from management
• opportunity for employees to give suggestions and feedback w/o repercussion 
• flexible working hours
• more then just annual reviews, gauging progress in shorter time spans
• opportunity for employees to work on projects/tasks that may be out of their norm
• management that leads from behind

....and pizza parties

You could take an even broader version of the 'diversity and inclusion' question above...if the company is mostly young, single people who go out drinking after work...how comfortable would someone be who has a family and wants to head straight home?  Or if the company is mostly people in their 40s and 50s who have been working together for decades, how would a newcomer in their 20s feel?
Absolutely, well put. I've seen groups that were extreme both ways here.

As someone that does a branding for a living, IMO this is an issue. IDK What type of work you do, but "culture" is a by-product of having clear mission, vision and value statements.

Culture is not pizza parties or a foosball table in the break room. It is best cultivated by everyone in the organization being aligned on the company's goals and removing those who don't share it. Not be draconian and fire 1/2 the staff, but everyone needs to feel their job is contributing to the larger goal and w/o mission and vision statements, its hard for them to know where their role is contributing. 

that said, some of the better ways to promote good culture is
• open transparency policy from management
• opportunity for employees to give suggestions and feedback w/o repercussion 
• flexible working hours
• more then just annual reviews, gauging progress in shorter time spans
• opportunity for employees to work on projects/tasks that may be out of their norm
• management that leads from behind

....and pizza parties
I'm an engineer.  I've seen mission statements come and go for 20 years...nothing changes.  Believe me, my work output is aligned with the company goals.  I don't need someone standing up and saying we are going to "increase synergy by actively promoting diversity" or whatever.  If I get my job done, we make money.  If I don't we don't.  It's crystal clear.

Kinda both?  I think we have a pretty good mix of ages/demographics.

TBH, we really don't do a whole lot of social stuff, especially since COVID.  previous management was extremely toxic and no one wanted to do anything with anyone afterwards.  After they left the business (along with laying off most of my team), it's just...blank.

Kinda both?  I think we have a pretty good mix of ages/demographics.

TBH, we really don't do a whole lot of social stuff, especially since COVID.  previous management was extremely toxic and no one wanted to do anything with anyone afterwards.  After they left the business (along with laying off most of my team), it's just...blank.

Seems like context your new leadership would appreciate, maybe put a bit less harsh.

Not sure.    All I know is over the last 1-2 years we really have no culture and nobody hardly talks anymore unless it is with a close work friend.   We have many employees and it used to be really open and enjoyable in the mornings and inclusive to all.  Now it seems everyone is afraid to do or say anything that might offend or get them fired so we walk around like zombies with a quick nod of the head to each other.

I worked in startups for awhile in my 20s, and realized I needed to get out when I would hear founders say things like "work hard, play hard" or "you can't just treat this as a 9-5 job".

But in terms of D&I, I would also want to know more about a company's hiring process. If individual hiring managers have a lot of leeway in terms of who they interview and what kinds of questions they ask, AND you end up with a team where everyone looks alike, then you may be in a situation where managers are just hiring people with whom they feel comfortable. That's not just ethically wrong, it can also be bad for business if it makes you too insular or unaware of your blind spots.

Not sure.    All I know is over the last 1-2 years we really have no culture and nobody hardly talks anymore unless it is with a close work friend.   We have many employees and it used to be really open and enjoyable in the mornings and inclusive to all.  Now it seems everyone is afraid to do or say anything that might offend or get them fired so we walk around like zombies with a quick nod of the head to each other.
same, except I wouldn't say anyone is afraid of offending or getting fired.  It's more like everyone and everything is siloed, almost literally.  most folks stay in their offices almost exclusively - again, mostly COVID related.  We do have a huge CYA problem though, and probably justified due to how litigious our industry is.

Think of the good and bad actions/behaviors/mindsets that employees and the company exhibits.  To me, that is culture.  Listing the specific stuff first will help you identify the larger categories that those could be grouped in.  When we started the process to capture our team culture and values, it started with identifying those items first.  

What's this mean?
its a management philosophy/style that is less about handing out tasks and bering overly heavy handed, and more about supporting the project and employees.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/theory-leading-behind-76457.html

an example is if there is a certain project, the manager is less about standing over you saying "when will this be done" and making the employee jump through hoops, and more about making sure the team has the resources and support they need to get it done. 

same, except I wouldn't say anyone is afraid of offending or getting fired.  It's more like everyone and everything is siloed, almost literally.  most folks stay in their offices almost exclusively - again, mostly COVID related.  We do have a huge CYA problem though, and probably justified due to how litigious our industry is.

Always hated the CYA culture.  When I started a Ford right out of college.  Nobody actually cared if things got done as long as they had it documented that they told you or someone to handle it and they were covered.

I have a meeting with our companies new president in a few hours to discuss transforming our "workplace culture".  I don't really know what that means. 
The coach wants to meet with me and said I should bring my playbook.  He probably wants my thoughts on how to incorporate more mesh concepts into our passing game.

A few questions to help prompt your thinking:

• How comfortable are people trying a new or innovative process or idea?
  • Is information freely shared across teams or is it siloed?
  • Do people typically have opportunities to advance and grow within the firm or do they frequently have to leave to do so?
  • Are there significant obstacles to doing what people  know is right for the customer and/or the shareholders?
  • Not sure how to phrase as a question, but something about diversity and inclusion. How comfortable someone of a different culture, race, gender, or sexual orientation may feel in the company.
This is a very good list.  I would add something about how family-friendly your organization is.  For example, somebody calls in at 8:00 saying they won't be in today because their kid is home from school with pink eye.  In my workplace, this is firmly in the "no big deal" category, but in some places it would informally set a person back if this happened more than once or twice.  Is there pressure on people to remain in the office after normal business hours?  Can people freely take vacation time without having it count against them?  Etc.

Always hated the CYA culture.  When I started a Ford right out of college.  Nobody actually cared if things got done as long as they had it documented that they told you or someone to handle it and they were covered.
Yes, my current firm also works this way. It's a pretty terrible culture.

How are people managed?  Do we encourage people to try things and sometimes fail or follow strict processes that will typically succeed?

How do you enact change?  Do you use lots of reports and automayed email nags to get people to follow processes?  Or do you deliver training and other communication and expect people to follow the new processes? 

How do people communicate with customers?  Do you have lots of in person meetings and talk in the office?  Or is it primarily online on zoom, webex, etc?

What about internal communications?  Do you have standard all hands calls and team calls?  Is there a process for broadcast messaging like if there's a new button in the application, and we want people to use it?  A process for tracking who attended the training, or who is adopting the process?  

What do you measure and how do you typically see those measurements?  Can people see their own measurements?

How do people manage their careers?  Are managers expected to help people move up or move out?  Or do we expect people to manage their own careers?  

How do we hire?  Are there specific attributes we look for when choosing candidates that are different from other companies?  Things we train them on?  Everyone who works at starbucks - even consultants who are working on admin tasks ' has to learn how to make coffee.  If you don’t know how to make a machiatto then you don't understand our business well enough.  If you're interviewing at Apple, don't bring your Samsung Galaxy to your interview. 

What's our special sauce when we compete for business?  Do our customers see us as the best product but crappy service?  Ask anyone about their cable/internet provider sometime.  Do they see us as the cool company to work with?  Apple had years of commercials of people dancing to a song they were listening to on their ipod/iPhone. The high priced option with great service or a great return policy?  Ll bean, Costco, etc.  What does your company do to make that image a reality?  

How are people managed?  Do we encourage people to try things and sometimes fail or follow strict processes that will typically succeed?

How do you enact change?  Do you use lots of reports and automayed email nags to get people to follow processes?  Or do you deliver training and other communication and expect people to follow the new processes? 

How do people communicate with customers?  Do you have lots of in person meetings and talk in the office?  Or is it primarily online on zoom, webex, etc?

What about internal communications?  Do you have standard all hands calls and team calls?  Is there a process for broadcast messaging like if there's a new button in the application, and we want people to use it?  A process for tracking who attended the training, or who is adopting the process?  

What do you measure and how do you typically see those measurements?  Can people see their own measurements?

How do people manage their careers?  Are managers expected to help people move up or move out?  Or do we expect people to manage their own careers?  

How do we hire?  Are there specific attributes we look for when choosing candidates that are different from other companies?  Things we train them on?  Everyone who works at starbucks - even consultants who are working on admin tasks ' has to learn how to make coffee.  If you don’t know how to make a machiatto then you don't understand our business well enough.  If you're interviewing at Apple, don't bring your Samsung Galaxy to your interview

What's our special sauce when we compete for business?  Do our customers see us as the best product but crappy service?  Ask anyone about their cable/internet provider sometime.  Do they see us as the cool company to work with?  Apple had years of commercials of people dancing to a song they were listening to on their ipod/iPhone. The high priced option with great service or a great return policy?  Ll bean, Costco, etc.  What does your company do to make that image a reality?  
sidebar - I interviewed at Apple in 2013.  They don't care about that.  No one ever asked me if I was familiar with their products.

This is a very good list.  I would add something about how family-friendly your organization is.  For example, somebody calls in at 8:00 saying they won't be in today because their kid is home from school with pink eye.  In my workplace, this is firmly in the "no big deal" category, but in some places it would informally set a person back if this happened more than once or twice. 
Also, is it different depending on whether the person asking is a man or a woman?

Really no different than thinking about a family culture.

How comfortable are people with interacting?

How much trust do people have in each other and is everyone pulling their weight?  What are the consequences when they don't? 

How do people react when there is an emergency or if someone needs help? 

How much interaction is happening or how much do people try to keep to themselves?

Is there room for people to try new things, make mistakes, grow, etc?

Are people happy there or are they anxious to find something better and leave? 

Is management a "do as I say and not as I do" or punitive or uninvolved? Or does management get in the trenches and help the team, show an ability to compromise, leads by example, etc. 

Our workplace culture is “get the work done, make it look good(though functional is more important), don’t mess with the other trades and what they’ve done, and help each other out.”

Really no different than thinking about a family culture.
Yes, but if they actually say, "We're like a family here", that's a big honking sign that the place is completely dysfunctional and will expect you to work terrible hours for under-market pay, then lash out at you for being disloyal when you leave for a better job.

Yes, but if they actually say, "We're like a family here", that's a big honking sign that the place is completely dysfunctional and will expect you to work terrible hours for under-market pay, then lash out at you for being disloyal when you leave for a better job.
I agree, I don’t think a management team should ever use that kind of language because let’s face it, this isn’t your family. It’s a job. I only meant in terms of the kinds of questions and observations are similar for how one judges what the environment/culture is like. 

And things get done a certain way "because that's how we do it". And people have their areas staked out for job security.

The coach wants to meet with me and said I should bring my playbook.  He probably wants my thoughts on how to incorporate more mesh concepts into our passing game.
lol...no, he did not ask me to bring my playbook.

It was about the disconnect between where we are and where we want to be.  We'll see if anything comes of it. 

lol...no, he did not ask me to bring my playbook.

It was about the disconnect between where we are and where we want to be.  We'll see if anything comes of it. 
It would help to specifically define where you are now and where you want to be. Do you know what the employees' thoughts are?

Users who are viewing this thread