What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Higher health insurance premiums for the unvaxxed? (1 Viewer)

matttyl

Footballguy
I’ve seen and heard this idea being discussed recently, thought I’d throw it out for discussion.  Should health insurance carriers be allowed to charge a higher premium to an unvaxxed person than they would a vaxxed person?  Keep in mind, being vaxxed or not is a pre-existing condition- and currently the only thing the ACA allows to be a factor in premiums are age and tobacco use.  If you allow vaxxed vs unvaxxed, how about obese vs not obese (and so on)?

I’ve seen and heard this idea being discussed recently, thought I’d throw it out for discussion.  Should health insurance carriers be allowed to charge a higher premium to an unvaxxed person than they would a vaxxed person?  Keep in mind, being vaxxed or not is a pre-existing condition- and currently the only thing the ACA allows to be a factor in premiums are age and tobacco use.  If you allow vaxxed vs unvaxxed, how about obese vs not obese (and so on)?
Absent a mandate to have insurance it would be counter productive leaving too many of these free riders (redefined to mean to enjoy the day to day freedoms that the vaccinated have provided) to be actual free riders (those that shift the burden of their health care onto everyone else).

Not an insurance guru but  private companies seem to be doing things to incentivize you at the moment. Ex: 100 bucks if you get vaxed.

Same thing at my place if you do things that would lead to a healthier lifestyle. Ex: go to dentist, walk 5K steps, go to doctor -> get lower premiums. 

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
I'm not a fan of that type of thing.  Never have been.  Don't believe in it for smoking, obesity, or any of that crap.  Everyone has something they could be charged extra for.  The insurance companies are picking and choosing what to charge extra for, and over time they may include things that we wouldn't envision now.  "Oh, you're a rock climber?  That's pretty dangerous.  Percentage wise, we treat more rock climbers for broken bones than non rock climbers.  5% surcharge."

Delta airlines just announced that they are going to charge unvaccinated employees $200/month.  I'm not a fan of that either.

I am not in favor of charging unvaccinated people higher premiums, but I am in favor of discounts for getting vaccinated. :mellow:

I'm not a fan of that type of thing.  Never have been.  Don't believe in it for smoking, obesity, or any of that crap.  Everyone has something they could be charged extra for.  The insurance companies are picking and choosing what to charge extra for, and over time they may include things that we wouldn't envision now.  "Oh, you're a rock climber?  That's pretty dangerous.  Percentage wise, we treat more rock climbers for broken bones than non rock climbers.  5% surcharge."

Delta airlines just announced that they are going to charge unvaccinated employees $200/month.  I'm not a fan of that either.
I look at these as if you choose to live a healthier lifestyle you get a discount.

If your asking me if in our current model am I ok with it - I guess I'd answer yes.  I currently get some kind of discount for not smoking.

In general though, I'm not for it because I think healthcare is something that should be guaranteed for everyone and not something that should be dependent on employment or wealth status.  I think basic care, which is what I would consider Covid, should be guaranteed to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read this morning that Delta is charging the unvaccinated an additional $200 per month...

Absolutely.  Just like smokers, they are a higher health risk and the costs for treating them will be substantially greater.  It comes down to a business decision for the insurance companies.

Absent a mandate to have insurance it would be counter productive leaving too many of these free riders (redefined to mean to enjoy the day to day freedoms that the vaccinated have provided) to be actual free riders (those that shift the burden of their health care onto everyone else).
I’ve read this a few times over and still unsure what you’re trying to say.  

Sure.  If it was entirely up to me, vaccination would be your personal choice, and you can own the consequences of that choice.
Would you agree the same could be said of eating right, exercising, and otherwise taking care of yourself (when discussing health insurance premiums)?  Would you be ok taking away those pre existing condition protections that the ACA provided?

Not an insurance guru but  private companies seem to be doing things to incentivize you at the moment. Ex: 100 bucks if you get vaxed.

Same thing at my place if you do things that would lead to a healthier lifestyle. Ex: go to dentist, walk 5K steps, go to doctor -> get lower premiums. 
These are generally $ put into your HSA. Is that what you’re referring to?  That’s what my employer does - so much for this or for that, with a cap per year (I can still hit cap without going to doctor or dentist).  What I’m asking is strait extra premium, like the 40% tobacco surcharge carriers are currently allowed.  

Would you agree the same could be said of eating right, exercising, and otherwise taking care of yourself (when discussing health insurance premiums)?  Would you be ok taking away those pre existing condition protections that the ACA provided?
Yes.  I think insurance companies should be free to implement whatever pricing scheme they want.  

I am not in favor of charging unvaccinated people higher premiums, but I am in favor of discounts for getting vaccinated. :mellow:
Which is the exact same thing.  Really this is just asking if you’re ok with sin taxes in general, or more specifically this one in particular.

These are generally $ put into your HSA. Is that what you’re referring to?  That’s what my employer does - so much for this or for that, with a cap per year (I can still hit cap without going to doctor or dentist).  What I’m asking is strait extra premium, like the 40% tobacco surcharge carriers are currently allowed.  
We get a 15% discount on our premiums if you don’t use tobacco.

Another 15% if you meet a bunch of different criteria - all of which are designed to make you healthier. 

Another 15% if you meet a bunch of different criteria - all of which are designed to make you healthier. 
You work for a very large company?  Generally they get to make up their own rules, and don’t have to comply with ACA. You ok with a 15% discount (or 15% surcharge) depending on vax status.  What you’re talking about (as I assume you work for a company that is “self insured”) is a private company setting these pricing rules, not the insurance carrier 

I’ve read this a few times over and still unsure what you’re trying to say.  
If we raise the cost of premiums for those without vaccines there will be more uninsured unvaccinated.  Generalizing a bit, but these are the people that think they are young and healthy to not need to worry about Covid or other health issues to begin with.   Most will be more or less correct.  Those that aren't will be shifting a burden on to the rest of us both for the results of Covid and whatever else they might find wrong health wise. Basically more of them become free riders in a classic sense.

I'm also saying that the unvaccinated are taking advantage of the reopening of much of society which has been largely paid for by those willing to vaccinated.  So for the novel virus a novel definition of free rider.

I remember a few years back before Obama care destroyed the health insurance options the company I worked for had a plan where if you committed to either being below a threshold for a certain risk factor or committed to improving in that area, you had access to a fantastic health plan.  Premiums were kinda high, but it covered every penny.

I had a scare where I thought I was having a heart attack.  Spent the day in the hospital.  $12,000 bill and I didn't pay a cent.   Wife had the same thing the next year.  $13,000.  Nothing out of pocket.

The categories were   Tobacco use, BMI, blood pressure, cholesterol and one other thing I don't remember.   

So anyway like someone else said, I am not in favor of punishing those who don't get a shot, but an incentive to do so is a good thing

Recent update to time off ... 

--> if you are Vaccinated and get Covid and miss time, it is covered under Sick Leave.  

--> if you are UNVACCINATED and get Covid and miss time, you have to take your personal vacation time or accept unpaid leave absence.  

Now granted, they did provide us a medical discount for those vaccinated also. 

You work for a very large company?  Generally they get to make up their own rules, and don’t have to comply with ACA. You ok with a 15% discount (or 15% surcharge) depending on vax status.  What you’re talking about (as I assume you work for a company that is “self insured”) is a private company setting these pricing rules, not the insurance carrier 
My company is about 1k people. I am pretty dumb about the insurance but we have a good HR dept. We just re-upper our benefits for the year. 

I think incentivizing healthy behavior is the way to do this. I am very ok with the vax deduction (or payment in my case we got 100 bucks). 

We also get a discount if you don't use tobacco. But, just sign up and complete an online smoking cessation class, and you also get the discount. 

There are also pathways to get the healthy discount for obesity, hypertension, pre-diabetes, etc. The carrot approach.  

If we raise the cost of premiums for those without vaccines there will be more uninsured unvaccinated.  Generalizing a bit, but these are the people that think they are young and healthy to not need to worry about Covid or other health issues to begin with.   Most will be more or less correct.  Those that aren't will be shifting a burden on to the rest of us both for the results of Covid and whatever else they might find wrong health wise. Basically more of them become free riders in a classic sense.

I'm also saying that the unvaccinated are taking advantage of the reopening of much of society which has been largely paid for by those willing to vaccinated.  So for the novel virus a novel definition of free rider.
Ok, makes plenty of sense and I agree.  Also, generalizing a bit myself, the unvaxxed tend to be right wing folks who are already against the ACA (Obamacare), so I agree that doing so would lead to more uninsured in the individual market for sure.

We also get a discount if you don't use tobacco. But, just sign up and complete an online smoking cessation class, and you also get the discount. 

There are also pathways to get the healthy discount for obesity, hypertension, pre-diabetes, etc. The carrot approach.  
Exact same thing we have.

I think incentivizing healthy behavior is the way to do this. I am very ok with the vax deduction (or payment in my case we got 100 bucks). 
Which is exactly what charging an obese person more than a non obese person does.  No matter if the base rate is $200 a month and they give you 25% off for getting vaxxed (or having a good BMI) - or if the base rate is $150 and you’re charged 33% more if you aren’t vaxxed (or have a bad BMI).  That’s exactly how it worked pre-ACA (in theory of course).

Which is exactly what charging an obese person more than a non obese person does.  No matter if the base rate is $200 a month and they give you 25% off for getting vaxxed (or having a good BMI) - or if the base rate is $150 and you’re charged 33% more if you aren’t vaxxed (or have a bad BMI).  That’s exactly how it worked pre-ACA (in theory of course).

I know you are a "healthcare insurance guy" (or I think) so my question may not be in your wheelhouse, but isn't almost all insurance pro-rated based on some factor (health, age, how many tickets you have, etc.)?

And to expand on my previous answer - I'm in favor of universal healthcare but I'm also in favor of allowing folks to buy premium healthcare if they choose.  In this premium healthcare scenario I would have no issue with a sin tax.

Are there surcharges for not getting other vaccinations like flu shot, chicken pox, shingles, whooping cough/diphtheria, etc? While I got vaccinated, I think it's still being pushed without due diligence. Too many lasting side affects being reported and  now it sounds like a second booster will be required and it may become annual like the flu shot. Seems we (the world) should be doing more to look at the cause snd future minimization of the virus. We can't keep shutting down communities for ever. 

Are there surcharges for not getting other vaccinations like flu shot, chicken pox, shingles, whooping cough/diphtheria, etc? While I got vaccinated, I think it's still being pushed without due diligence. Too many lasting side affects being reported and  now it sounds like a second booster will be required and it may become annual like the flu shot. Seems we (the world) should be doing more to look at the cause snd future minimization of the virus. We can't keep shutting down communities for ever. 
No, being vaxxed or not for whatever you listed (or covid) is a pre-existing condition.  Carriers can no longer charge different rates based on a pre-ex, other than tobacco use.

I know you are a "healthcare insurance guy" (or I think) so my question may not be in your wheelhouse, but isn't almost all insurance pro-rated based on some factor (health, age, how many tickets you have, etc.)?

And to expand on my previous answer - I'm in favor of universal healthcare but I'm also in favor of allowing folks to buy premium healthcare if they choose.  In this premium healthcare scenario I would have no issue with a sin tax.
Generally, insurance premiums is based on risk.  Get into accidents or get tickets and your auto insurance rate goes up.  It also costs more to insure a Porsche than a civic, as the amount at risk is higher.  That used to be the way health insurance worked as well, if you have higher risk factors (obesity, high blood pressure, cholesterol, or in my personal case - a plate and screws in my wrist from a sports injury) you were charged more than someone without those conditions (just as I was).  The ACA did away with that.  

So technically it’s not so much “health insurance” anymore, it’s health care financing.  

Which is the exact same thing.  Really this is just asking if you’re ok with sin taxes in general, or more specifically this one in particular.
Depends on the sin. Something that can be controlled like vaccination or tobacco status, definitely. I would say yes to weight as well. Incentivize maintaining healthy weight as well as weight loss progress. My company does much of this already and it does reduce the premium rather than an HSA allotment. I have no problem adding COVID vaccination to that.

No, being vaxxed or not for whatever you listed (or covid) is a pre-existing condition.  Carriers can no longer charge different rates based on a pre-ex, other than tobacco use.
Got it. But companies can charge whatever they want to, to encourage "healthy" life style? Does it  matter if they are self-funded or not?

Generally, insurance premiums is based on risk.  Get into accidents or get tickets and your auto insurance rate goes up.  It also costs more to insure a Porsche than a civic, as the amount at risk is higher.  That used to be the way health insurance worked as well, if you have higher risk factors (obesity, high blood pressure, cholesterol, or in my personal case - a plate and screws in my wrist from a sports injury) you were charged more than someone without those conditions (just as I was).  The ACA did away with that.  

So technically it’s not so much “health insurance” anymore, it’s health care financing.  
You have heard this before but just to make a point here that only a subset of health insurance is analogous to auto insurance.  That is only a subset is similar to coverage to your car for an accident.  Keeping with the auto analogy a compliant health insurance plan would also provide an extended warranty for when parts fail and a service plan for those preventive maintenance things, etc.   There also isn't theft components in your health plan and they are all "no fault" plans.  (ETA: Maybe going to far with "no fault" where auto or home owners or workers comp enters the picture, but I wasn't meaning to go to that level of complications with this analogy.)

Oh, and good luck telling your next client that they should be treated like a Civic rather than a Porsche.

Got it. But companies can charge whatever they want to, to encourage "healthy" life style? Does it  matter if they are self-funded or not?
No, they can’t do that - due to the ACA. Self funded (or self insured) groups don’t have to be ACA compliant, though, and can set their own rules.  That’s what Delta is doing - that’s a decision of a private company, not of the insurance carrier.

Oh, and good luck telling your next client that they should be treated like a Civic rather than a Porsche.
I do it all the time, with life insurance.  If you total a civic you might get $20k from insurance.  If you total a Porsche you might get $200k.  If you’re totaled (you die), how much would you like your beneficiaries to get?  It’s the same idea - you get to determine how much is at risk.  

Can you point to an article about these side effects?  I hear it said but nothing but single cases and nothing that shows any kind of widespread issues.

Boosters were always a certainty - we've essentially known this would be like the flu shot from the beginning.  It's possible that some misinformed doctors or journalists said otherwise but they were in the minority based on what I've read/observed.

Totally agree that we can't keep shutting down communities but how much is that really happening?  Where I live we've basically been back to normal for a long time.  The only things I'm hearing are some offices aren't opening and some schools are having to go remote for short periods of time due to high case counts.

I was going to ask if there is any difference between the two ways, or if just optics of punishment vs rewarding.  

Can you point to an article about these side effects?  I hear it said but nothing but single cases and nothing that shows any kind of widespread issues.

Boosters were always a certainty - we've essentially known this would be like the flu shot from the beginning.  It's possible that some misinformed doctors or journalists said otherwise but they were in the minority based on what I've read/observed.

Totally agree that we can't keep shutting down communities but how much is that really happening?  Where I live we've basically been back to normal for a long time.  The only things I'm hearing are some offices aren't opening and some schools are having to go remote for short periods of time due to high case counts.
This post reflects my thoughts reading his post as well.  What communities are "shut down"? 

I think the first step is to stop having the government pay the hospital bills of those who aren't vaccinated and let it run through the normal insurance process and the people pay what their plans require.  If it ends up being that insurance plans start charging more because of this, that's something the individual needs to reconcile.  

I do it all the time, with life insurance.  If you total a civic you might get $20k from insurance.  If you total a Porsche you might get $200k.  If you’re totaled (you die), how much would you like your beneficiaries to get?  It’s the same idea - you get to determine how much is at risk.  
Life insurance you buy for yourself is more about how much the beneficiary is worth to you then how much you are worth.  Now if life insurance brought you back from the grave then we would have all kinds of philosophical questions on how much it should cost.  Things like if its $200K isn't just a perk for the wealthy?  If it is $20K can the planet sustain all of the extra people?  Luckily for us we don't need to worry about those ethical considerations just yet.

Now how do you explain to your wife that you only have Chevy Spark level of life insurance on yourself, but you have Bugatti level insurance on her? Yes , I googled these.

I think the first step is to stop having the government pay the hospital bills of those who aren't vaccinated and let it run through the normal insurance process and the people pay what their plans require.  If it ends up being that insurance plans start charging more because of this, that's something the individual needs to reconcile.  
Insurance would have to start charging more for everyone, though, as they can’t pick and choose who to charge more to.  

example 1 is another country, and example 2 is for a week to clean.  

also, how much of #2 has to do with the governors rules and how the school can't take precautions they want to? 
You are correct about #1 in that I said I included countries as a broad definition of "community". It's affecting all types of communities globally and the stress on the medical facilities is a key reason. For #2, the story focuses on four school districts , closed indefinitely and reevaluating whether to stay closed or reopen next week. I don't think the story indicated specifically the reason was to clean/disinfect. Maybe we would assume they would clean, but the reason cited for closing was for people to quarantine to minimize the stress on local medical facilities. One person was quoted saying they hoped a week was enough time to clean the school, but I don't believe it said in the article any of the schools said they were going to close so they could clean. As far as the Governor's rules,  most schools are ignoring him and requiring masks, so the school districts are deciding what to do on there own.

Insurance would have to start charging more for everyone, though, as they can’t pick and choose who to charge more to.  
They can choose how much they will pay for COVID treatment within a plan right?  In our crappy system, maybe that's about the best we'd be able to do?

I don't see it happening. The legal battles would be long and brutal.

Lawyers typically operate in the "soft kill" grifter class. There's not a lot of incentive to get into a knock down drag out fight that will naturally incite all Obama loyalists in any political sphere.

In terms of political strategy and political fallout, if something like this happened, it would be the death of the ACA. And "Obamacare" is Barack Obama's attempt at true legacy in politics ( Think FDR and his "New Deal")  Anyone pushing M4A will get a political boost. That means doing this will leapfrog AOC into an improved position as a POTUS contender.  Pete Buttigieg supported the ACA "patchover" in Medicare-For-All-Who-Want-It, which means this change would end his POTUS contender status for good.

How many people here at FBG are Jewish?  Would you like to see what life will be like for a Jewish American if someone like Ilhan Omar gets into new constellations of power? Doesn't matter what side of the aisle you are on, you will be neck deep in identity politics and if you are Jewish, be prepared to stand next to the little girl in the red dress when Omar decides to send the jackboots into your home.

Jackboots won't be the same as New Police under AOC, which means if someone breaks into your house and starts stabbing you to death on your kitchen floor, be assured and confident that a social worker will show up with some tersely worded flash cards to make it all stop. Unless, of course, you are Jewish, in which case, I don't see Ilhan Omar tolerating the use of Progressive flash cards for your benefit.

It's always interesting, I don't known the complete demographic breakdown of regular FBG members here, but whenever I point out the clear Anti-Semetic streak coming from far too many elements out of the left side of the aisle, the net effect is a dull thud. Some people will be zealots until they realize they are going to be lined up against a wall along with the little girl in the red dress.

I don't see the OP's suggestion/theory actually happening. If it happens, just remember, until there's a legitimate Democratic POTUS contender who can platform M4A and is NOT a Progressive, if there's an active shooter at your school, remember your kids lives will depend on an undermanned persecuted class of social workers who will fiercely pull "You're Not Woke Enough" flashcards from a fanny back and it's all paid for with your hard earned tax dollars.

Sure.  If it was entirely up to me, vaccination would be your personal choice, and you can own the consequences of that choice.
Yep. 

I suppose the tangential issue is whether the state insurance should cover Covid-19 related health issues for unvaccinated people. 

Can’t do that either.  No caps/limits for treatments.  
huh?  We have caps on a ton of stuff in our plan :confused:  

And what's to keep a company from basing the portion they pay on behalf of the employee based on vaccination status?  I don't remember any of that stuff in group plans being addressed in ACA, but that was several years ago and you do this all the time, so please forgive if that's a dumb question.

Users who are viewing this thread