What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Donda" And "Certified Lover Boy" Listening Party Thread (1 Viewer)

woodstock

Footballguy
OOOOOOOOOF. 

I pray to God every day/He my besty

Some say Adam couldn't be black/Because Adam would never share his ribs

OOOOOOOOOOOF. 

Kanye willing to make such an ### out of himself during the creative process. 

:lmao:

Back to Daft Punk's Tron: Legacy

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea who Fivio Foreign is but HOLY #### his verse on Off The Grid is the best thing I've heard in rap in years.

I gave it another listen. People are saying fire, but somehow I thought Kanye outrapped Pop Smoke in his brief introduction to the original "Tell The Vision" 

I still don't think the modern guys rap incredibly well. But I'm not criticizing anybody who saw fit to take this seriously. Everybody's tastes and mileage varies. 

Took me three sittings to make it through all 108 minutes.  There's no reason for a rap album to be as long as Quantum of Solace.  Aside from that, I thought it was pretty listenable overall and the part starting with Off the Grid through Ok Ok was his best stretch for a decade.

I thought the religious stuff was integrated better than on Jesus is King or maybe I'm more spiritual than in 2019. There's a lot of repetition in Gospel music which contributed to a lot of tracks going on for a minute or two too long.

Kanye's always been a better producer than rapper. He's still capable of interesting turns of phrase but his flow and cadence haven't progressed much. But he's also been generous to his guest artists who can come in for a verse to improve a song.

I doubt I'll ever listen to the whole thing front to back ever again but there are some tracks I'll come back to. I'll be interested in an explicit version though. Maybe he'll continue tweaking the album since he has nothing better to do.

So I’m reading a theory…. Kanye invented this gadget that takes a song and strips out vocals, drums, beats, etc into its own individual loop and can then be reorganized and recorded/shared. And he’s selling it for $200.   The theory is that the songs are intentionally mixed weird and scattered so that the fans that purchase this gadget ultimately will be the ones to mix the songs on their own to produce the bangers. It will then end up being an album with thousands of unique remixed versions of the songs out there.   It makes sense cuz at the end of the album he already has “pt 2” of 3-4 songs kinda suggesting this concept.   Hmm, if this ends up being the ultimate result I’ll change feelings from garbage to genius marketing. Wouldn’t surprise me at all.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/8/25/22641263/kanye-west-donda-stem-player-customize-any-song

So I’m reading a theory…. Kanye invented this gadget that takes a song and strips out vocals, drums, beats, etc into its own individual loop and can then be reorganized and recorded/shared. And he’s selling it for $200.   The theory is that the songs are intentionally mixed weird and scattered so that the fans that purchase this gadget ultimately will be the ones to mix the songs on their own to produce the bangers. It will then end up being an album with thousands of unique remixed versions of the songs out there.   It makes sense cuz at the end of the album he already has “pt 2” of 3-4 songs kinda suggesting this concept.   Hmm, if this ends up being the ultimate result I’ll change feelings from garbage to genius marketing. Wouldn’t surprise me at all.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/8/25/22641263/kanye-west-donda-stem-player-customize-any-song
This could be cool.  I have screwed around with a few DJ apps, and always thought it would be cool to be able to do some of this stuff to your play list.  It should be easier to do some basic DJ stuff than having to get a bunch of equipment.  

So I’m reading a theory…. Kanye invented this gadget that takes a song and strips out vocals, drums, beats, etc into its own individual loop and can then be reorganized and recorded/shared. And he’s selling it for $200.  
They've always had these gadgets. You could buy them at Radio Shack for like a hundred bucks or so as far back as the nineties. They never work the way they're promised. Believe me. As somebody who has long wanted to manipulate sound recordings, I can attest to being able to manipulate levels of sound but never fully isolate sounds and loop them if there are other sounds on the recording. You just can't do it. Now, if he did the album that way to where you can do that, that's one thing. But I doubt it. Kanye is a genius, but to be able to divorce recorded sounds from each other would probably cost in the millions of dollars to own. The possibilities would demand that price. Copyright law would also quickly hit the ####ter.

Certified Lover Boy listening party

First intro track was too long, sample of "Michelle" by the Beatles sped up to chipmunk speeds. That's definitely a "LOOK AT ME SAMPLE"

More money and connections than God for that.

First track still going. The intro is...grandiose at best. Best served on CD so you can skip to the second track.

First impressions from earth. Ends with a sort of trapped out sample of "Michelle"

Definitely hyper-produced.

Second track, "Papi's Home" begins with a seed-spreading father/rest of the rappers analogy. Charming.

Celebratory lap on the second track?

Do we allow that?

That's what he's doing on the second track. WHERE IS THE HIT? DON'T MAKE ME FAST FORWARD THROUGH THIS. I ONLY HAVE SO MUCH TIME IN LIFE.

I did it.

Slightly auto tuned third track.

Girls Want Girls - a lesbian observation song. Weezer covered this back in '97. This is played.

Wow I just went through tracks 3, 4, 5, 6, and now I'm on 7 with Future.

This song might save it.

Then it began with "alright, ok, ok, ok, ok, that's fine."

It's using the hook from Right Said Fred. Predictable.

Oof. Future can't save endeavor, really.

Maybe he can.

Put Future on every track and let him go. He's killing it. This is the only listenable song so far. I love Future, though, so YMMV.

Not sure Church music is an insult. Gospel music is fire. Haven't heard the Drake yet but Donda is alright. He's definitely in a lesser stage of his career but his production is still impressive. 

Young Thug killing Drake. Let the young guys do it if you're going to go with trap beats. Just guest host a bit and then let them do their thing, if you ask me.

Next song:

TSU

Swisha House - really?

I will say this. This is some all-star stuff.

I can get into this track, actually. Houston in the house.

Not sure Church music is an insult. Gospel music is fire. Haven't heard the Drake yet but Donda is alright. He's definitely in a less stage of his career but his production is still impressive. 
Gospel music is total fire. Jesus Walks is one of my favorite rap songs. Period. Ever. Bom-bom-bom bom bom bom

Not sure Church music is an insult. Gospel music is fire. Haven't heard the Drake yet but Donda is alright. He's definitely in a lesser stage of his career but his production is still impressive. 
Gospel music is amazing. This isn’t really gospel music to me but some slower church-y music and it came off somehow boring and terrible. 

Track Twelve

"No Friends In The Industry"

Still waiting for the hits, guys. I now see fit to fast forward and skip around.

Ahhh, track nineteen. Finally?

Rick Ross saves this? How does a C.O. save a terrible album? I don't know, but he is. He and Future on track seven.

But now we've got chillwave samples that are replacing the good soul samples. Oof.

Gospel music is amazing. This isn’t really gospel music to me but some slower church-y music and it came off somehow boring and terrible. 
I actually had gotten what you were putting down and assented. I know church music, too, having grown up Catholic and having had attended whiter Protestant churches. It can be terrible.

Yeah, this is the part industry folks are most interested in.  Great idea but folks have been hating on Kanye from the jump.  Love seeing his progress over the years and turning into a hip hop/music icon.  Good for him.  The bank account doesn't lie.  

If you don't like his music, I feel sorry for your ears.  He had one of the best runs in music with his first 5 or 6 albums.  Up there with early Ice Cube and Ghostface. 

And the church in the club thing really got popping with OG Bobby Billions "Outside" which dropped in 2020.

Great idea but folks have been hating on Kanye from the jump.  Love seeing his progress over the years and turning into a hip hop/music icon.  Good for him. 
Both I and the bird in the OP agree. Kanye's College Dropout is a seminal album from the aughts. It's fantastic. Some of us have been on Kanye since he started with Through The Wire, pre-released to BET.

Don't let the dislike of the album fool you about my love for Kanye. There's a reason I started the thread, after all. woodstock out.

Since talk has turned to Kanye's gadget, I'd like to submit that I got "every current version of Auto-tune" advertised in the Promotions section of my Gmail.

Hmmm...I wonder if they're tracing me.

Color me unimpressed with Drake. Dude was king once upon a time, but these days, the concept and clout of Drake is bigger than the actual guy or stuff he's putting out these days.

I have all his albums So Far Gone - Views. Stopped buying after Views. He fell off. He transitioned too much over to hip-pop, and now he's apparently doing some trap? Which is an auto-skip for me. I despise trap. It's all garbanzo beans.

Just gave the album a listen, and sure enough it's continued a consistent trend with me where I take fewer and fewer tracks onto my playlist. This album, I only took Girls Want Girls, IMY2, and Papi's Home (which sounds more like a leftover track from the NWTS/Views era).

I'll always love early Drake, So Far Gone and Take Care colored my college years, and I have memories from every single song on those albums. I still contend Take Care was the best album of the 2010s.

Color me unimpressed with Drake. Dude was king once upon a time, but these days, the concept and clout of Drake is bigger than the actual guy or stuff he's putting out these days.

I have all his albums So Far Gone - Views. Stopped buying after Views. He fell off. He transitioned too much over to hip-pop, and now he's apparently doing some trap? Which is an auto-skip for me. I despise trap. It's all garbanzo beans.

Just gave the album a listen, and sure enough it's continued a consistent trend with me where I take fewer and fewer tracks onto my playlist. This album, I only took Girls Want Girls, IMY2, and Papi's Home (which sounds more like a leftover track from the NWTS/Views era).

I'll always love early Drake, So Far Gone and Take Care colored my college years, and I have memories from every single song on those albums. I still contend Take Care was the best album of the 2010s.

Dude has a ponytail for a heart.  Never could get into him but definitely has some bangers.  I get in trouble for talking ##### about him in H so I'll just mind my business and collect that paper ;)

Both I and the bird in the OP agree. Kanye's College Dropout is a seminal album from the aughts. It's fantastic. Some of us have been on Kanye since he started with Through The Wire, pre-released to BET.
I thi k his early stuff was great, but he hasn't lost it.  "Yikes" from the Ye album is one of my favorite songs he has made.

Users who are viewing this thread