What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ty'son Williams, BAL (1 Viewer)

Go Blue

Footballguy
Go grab  Ty'son Williams ASAP. I'm not a Justice Hill fan. Williams was a 4-Star coming out of High school.  12 offers including Clemson, Notre Dame and Michigan. 

He's not built like Edwards, but he is very solid. 6'0  220#

We all know Baltimore will run multiple backs every game. I'm not saying he will pass Edwards, but I think he could. Catches the ball really well. Always keeps those legs driving and moving the pile. Some have said he has good vision, but I think that is a work in progress from watching him. I also saw no issues with pass protection. 

I can't predict what the split with Edwards will be, but Williams looks like a quality fantasy starter to me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
had the choice to grab Hill or Williams and took the shot at Williams.  You never know how these things work out….throw those darts and hope they hit.

Go grab  Ty'son Williams ASAP. I'm not a Justice Hill fan. Williams was a 4-Star coming out of High school.  12 offers including Clemson, Notre Dame and Michigan. 

He's not built like Edwards, but he is very solid. 6'0  220#

We all know Baltimore will run multiple backs every game. I'm not saying he will pass Edwards, but I think he could. Catches the ball really well. Always keeps those legs driving and moving the pile. Some have said he has good vision, but I think that is a work in progress from watching him. I also saw no issues with pass protection. 

I can't predict what the split with Edwards will be, but Williams looks like a quality fantasy starter to me. 
Why was he undrafted?

I can't say for sure. I would assume if was the left ACL injury he had  at BYU.   Nobody knew if he was healthy because they couldn't bring him in. Last year was a VERY bad year for all NFL scouting departments because they couldn't dig into anyone because of covid. I'm expecting we'll see more that usual second year breakouts this year, just because of the lack of scouting due to covid.   

Last edited by a moderator:
He goes down way to easily. The only tackles he "broke" were poor tackle attempts. Good speed and agility, but he plays small. He also looks like he doesn't take a tackle well and that will lead to concussions

Hard to come by many clips of Ty'son Williams, but from what I have seen, he is completely uninspiring.

PASS

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/edge/football/nfl/player-news/10293941

ESPN's Jamison Hensley reports RB Ty'Son Williams has leapfrogged Justice Hill as the Ravens' No. 2 running back.

Hensley said Williams, an undrafted free agent who played for three teams in college, "impressed the Ravens with his physicality" during training camp and the preseason. Williams took 24 carries for 130 yards and a touchdown in Baltimore's three preseason games. The team rested him for the final three quarters of their final preseason matchup against Washington. Hill, meanwhile, had five yards on five rushing attempts this preseason. Gus Edwards is slated to take on primary rushing duties with J.K. Dobbins (ACL) done for the year, and Williams will likely take over Edwards' former role as the team's RB2. Last season, Edwards had 144 rushing attempts to Dobbins' 134 rushes. Williams could have real fantasy value in 2021. 

I think he looks great.

It's real tough to imagine him getting a ton of run in the beginning of the season, or overtaking Edwards, but the 2nd RB in BAL is in some pretty good situations.

I have two dynasty leagues where it's first come first serve on FA during offseason. It's the freaking Wild West.  I own Dobbins in one of them, and Williams sat out there until I grabbed him a few hours after the news broke. 

If Gus Edwards was available, on the wire two weeks ago, you'd go get him. Well, this guy has Gus Edwards job now. 

He's got some upside right now for sure, as it does seem like the Ravens have soured on Hill, and possibly only view his as a special teams guy. 

That said, I think there probably isn't a more likely team to add someone to the mix at RB right now. Whether it is a cut, or somebody like Gurley or Peterson, who knows? 

I like Williams as an add for now, but I think suggesting he's a threat to Edwards is really pushing it. He's not stopping Gus from hitting 250 touches. 

Threw a small bid on both him and Justice Hill for waivers, debated it but decided to go with Williams first in the order and got him (against no bidders). Would have also won the Justice Hill bid by $1. Glad I seem to have picked correctly.

He's got some upside right now for sure, as it does seem like the Ravens have soured on Hill, and possibly only view his as a special teams guy. 

That said, I think there probably isn't a more likely team to add someone to the mix at RB right now. Whether it is a cut, or somebody like Gurley or Peterson, who knows? 

I like Williams as an add for now, but I think suggesting he's a threat to Edwards is really pushing it. He's not stopping Gus from hitting 250 touches. 
Agree with your first statement, as I've posted it in various threads recently. Williams had already passed Hill on the depth chart and Hill was in real jeopardy of getting cut before Dobbins got hurt. His only real shot at staying was his ST play.

Disagree that Baltimore will add a vet such as one of those you listed at this point. Why would they? None of those guys will play ST and none of them, IMO, are better right now than Edwards/Williams (or Hill). Plus, the Ravens just don't have room. They have really hard decisions to make at other positions by tomorrow. An old RB who won't get more than a few carries a game is a luxury they can't afford.

Also agree with your 3rd paragraph. I'd add Williams if you have room just because Baltimore is going to rack up a bazillion rushing yards. But Gus is the the clear #1.

Had Gus already on my dynasty squad. Been debating on picking him up to cover my bases last couple of days but kind of difficult as I didn't really want to drop anyone. Then I saw he was picked up and then dropped this morning. Pulled the trigger and added him sending Sammy Watkins to the wire. I was thinking maybe Sammy might do something in Baltimore reunited with his old coach but maybe I've been holding way too long.

He goes down way to easily. The only tackles he "broke" were poor tackle attempts. Good speed and agility, but he plays small. He also looks like he doesn't take a tackle well and that will lead to concussions
I don’t see the same thing at all. Seems to have good footwork and all the runs I saw he pushed the pile or finished going forward for extra.

Agree with your first statement, as I've posted it in various threads recently. Williams had already passed Hill on the depth chart and Hill was in real jeopardy of getting cut before Dobbins got hurt. His only real shot at staying was his ST play.

Disagree that Baltimore will add a vet such as one of those you listed at this point. Why would they? None of those guys will play ST and none of them, IMO, are better right now than Edwards/Williams (or Hill). Plus, the Ravens just don't have room. They have really hard decisions to make at other positions by tomorrow. An old RB who won't get more than a few carries a game is a luxury they can't afford.

Also agree with your 3rd paragraph. I'd add Williams if you have room just because Baltimore is going to rack up a bazillion rushing yards. But Gus is the the clear #1.
Sup GB?

Gus may start as a heavy favorite for bellcow...but these write ups are VERY promising for Ty'Son. Balt would do well to spell Gus, and if given the chance, Williams could make this interesting.
He's RB2 on the clear-cut number-1 rushing offense in the league.

I think the best reply so-far in this thread was this:

...  If Gus Edwards was available, on the wire two weeks ago, you'd go get him. Well, this guy has Gus Edwards job now. 

It seems like most of the people on board are purely following Jamison Hensley's quote that he's the new #2. I was starting to get on board until Chris Harris talked about him today, essentially saying there's a reason he bounced around to 3 colleges and went undrafted. He's just ok, and the odds are pretty good that another RB could come in. Harbaugh has made noise that the Ravens are happy as-is, and that could be true. But it's also possible that they don't want to roll into the season with a big slow running back with a fun nickname and no one else. 

If the Ravens running game suffers with just Edwards and Williams, Harbaugh is going to get even more flack for playing Dobbins in a game that didn't matter. If your team is in the super bowl window (aka your QB hasn't broken the bank yet) you don't ruin the strength of your team (the run game). 

He's RB2 on the clear-cut number-1 rushing offense in the league.

I think the best reply so-far in this thread was this:
This. And, Dobbins had already beaten out Gus quite handily. I don't think the talent drop from Gus to Williams is as large as the drop from Dobbins to Gus.

Choo Choo

It seems like most of the people on board are purely following Jamison Hensley's quote that he's the new #2. I was starting to get on board until Chris Harris talked about him today, essentially saying there's a reason he bounced around to 3 colleges and went undrafted. He's just ok, and the odds are pretty good that another RB could come in. Harbaugh has made noise that the Ravens are happy as-is, and that could be true. But it's also possible that they don't want to roll into the season with a big slow running back with a fun nickname and no one else. 

If the Ravens running game suffers with just Edwards and Williams, Harbaugh is going to get even more flack for playing Dobbins in a game that didn't matter. If your team is in the super bowl window (aka your QB hasn't broken the bank yet) you don't ruin the strength of your team (the run game). 
He's not a speedster but makes great cuts and finishes runs with a potent lean.  Gus looked great before the injury and we know how they have been using him.  The #2 RB in Baltimore's offense will get used and is one-play from getting reps that can win a FF championship.  I seek FF RBs who get opportunities and it looks like Ty'Son will get opportunities.

The reason the Ravens offense is so run dominant?  Not just a great O-line and TEs/HBs.

The RPO Lamar 'spread'.

The entire offense was built around the RPO spread due to Lamar's unique athletic skill set.  They went all-in and we've seen the results.  This isn't like most offenses.

Steelers are trying to improve the NFL worst rush attack with a top RB prospect and revamping the O-line and it looks like they've done a lot with the interior of the O-line.  Will it work?  TBD but it does look like at least two parts of the interior will be improved.  

Jeff Z over at The Athletic has been saying it for weeks, even if it wasn't formalized.

Neither Edwards nor Williams are elite talents. But, Edwards at least, is very good and more than just a banger. 

As many have mentioned across these threads, the pie is so large in Baltimore that it's worth rostering the #2 RB if possible. They don't have to be Barry Sanders to have value in that offense.

I'm doing this purely from memory, but I don't recall Justice Hill doing anything special anytime he ever got a chance in the spotlight.

I'm sorry, Ty'son who?  some guy whose first name is 'justice'? boy it's gettin crazy in here.  now people what you to draft no name guys over proven commodities like Edwards ..wow..

beam me up , Scottie, there's no intelligent life down here. Kirk out.

PFF metrics Strength of schedule broken down for the RB position

Its a paid article but they show another graph that 'could' directly apply to Ty'Son Williams since it shows rushing yards over expectation per attempt and fifth in expected points added (EPA) per attempt among running backs with at least 100 carries for last year.

https://media.pff.com/2021/08/ryoe-1024x696.png

Look at the top-right that shows the most effective RBs from last year.  

One RB is not like the others, Gus Edwards.  He is in the same quadrant as JK Dobbins which would indicate he's either one of the uber-elite athletic RBs who inhabit that quadrant or he directly benefitted from Baltimore's run system.

Now look at Nick Chubb and then look at where Kareem Hunt is located, down and to the bottom left showing the clear-cut distinction that Cleveland's O-Line and rushing system didn't equally benefit both RBs but that is not the case in Baltimore where RBs benefit from the unique athletic skills of QB Lamar Jackson that spreads out the defensive front.

I don't think it is a leap of faith that Ty'Son Williams will reap the same benefits this year as Baltimore's #2 RB as Gus Williams did last year in the same system.

Call me crazy...but how a kid was rated out of HS has zero bearing on how I feel about them in the NFL and for FF purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread