What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How are you handling the extra week in regard to Playoffs? (1 Viewer)

geddy1001

Footballguy
Hi folks,

First hopefully this is the correct forum for this topic.  Our league this is is bumping up rom 10 to 12 teams which changes up how we previously set up playoffs (going to 6 teams from 4 making playoffs). Also this year there is the issue of the extra week of NFL action so the prevailing question is how are you 12 teamers dealing with the extra week?

1. Just adding an extra week of the regular season (going to week 14?) 

2. Still only 13 regular season games but having 2 weeks for championship round?

3. Any others?

Thanks!!

Option 1.  Regular season through week 14.  Playoffs are week 15-17 with Super Bowl in week 17.  

It actually worked out well in our league since we previously had it where teams played others in their division twice and every other team (except one) once.  Now every team has to play each other at least once during the regular season.  

Well, CBS schedule randomizer sucks. It scheduled another divisional matchup for every team in week 12, which is ridiculous. 

And no way to manually scramble it up. 

For the divisions, the tiebreakers are divisional record -> H2H, so…

I opened a ticket - we’ll see what they say. I’m kinda pissed, because that’s just obviously stupid. 

a ton of other threads on it.  and the answer is obviously just bump the one week back.  most rankings online are built around 14 game reg seasons now and playoffs weeks 15 16 17.  week 18 is off.

a ton of other threads on it.  and the answer is obviously just bump the one week back.  most rankings online are built around 14 game reg seasons now and playoffs weeks 15 16 17.  week 18 is off.
My league doesn't want a 3 week playoff. 4/12 make the playoffs, 8 to the loser bowl. No one wants to change that. 

Obviously we can ignore the 3rd divisional game for H2H purposes, but divisional record is also effected, which sucks. 

So I'll wait to see what CBS says, and if they can't fix this week 12 debacle, I'll put it up to vote: we keep it as-is, or we play a 16 week season with a balanced schedule, playoffs week 15, LCG week 16 like we did in the past. 

My league doesn't want a 3 week playoff. 4/12 make the playoffs, 8 to the loser bowl. No one wants to change that. 

Obviously we can ignore the 3rd divisional game for H2H purposes, but divisional record is also effected, which sucks. 

So I'll wait to see what CBS says, and if they can't fix this week 12 debacle, I'll put it up to vote: we keep it as-is, or we play a 16 week season with a balanced schedule, playoffs week 15, LCG week 16 like we did in the past. 
OP says his league has 6 teams making the playoffs.

The divisional H2H stuff was the complicating factor for us. My league chose what is likely a pretty unique option. Weeks 1-13 are regular season, Week 14 is a bye for everyone where we’re actually going to do a Division vs Division best ball week, and playoffs are 15-17.

For the week 14 division vs division week, winning division gets to rename the teams in the other division for the playoffs.

Thanks everyone for their input. Sounds like there are a handful of different ways to go in this. The Byes going all the way to week 14 is a bit of a curveball I had forgotten about and should make things interesting. Thanks again!

Depends on the size of the league.

12 teamer was easy, expand reg season to 14 games, everyone plays twice in division, once out of division.

in an 8 teamer I’m in, the extra week complicated things.  What we’re doing is a 15 week reg season consisting of a 14 week HTH round robin season like before, and then a week 15 “scramble” where we all play each other and the top 4 scoring teams get wins that week and the bottom 4 get losses. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved from 4 teams making the playoffs in weeks 15-16 to 6 teams in weeks 15-17. Top two seeds get a bye first round. This allowed us to keep the 12 team 3 division format and schedule the same playing division rivals twice and everyone else once in weeks 1-14.

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard. Move everything back a week. Sometimes the obvious solution is the easiest. Only thing it really affects for my league is one more weekly high score winner. $10 more off the pot. 

Users who are viewing this thread