What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Setting a week 12 schedule (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
So my league’s schedule randomizer balances the schedule but has 6 divisional matchups set for week 12, screwing up all of our tiebreakers. 

I can manually set the matchups so they’re non-divisional, but that’s not random. 

If I plug teams into a randomizer, we’ll still get divisional matchups.

the only thing I can think of is taking the teams list as-is and using a pattern like 1 vs 5, 2 vs 6, 3 vs 7, etc. 

Any ideas on how to set the extra week’s games so they’re both random, and non-divisional?  I’m drawing a blank. 

How about a random 16 week and you add the 17th. You can put it wherever you want and against a planned out of division opponent. 

Last edited by a moderator:
All play. Top 6 in points get a W and bottom 6 get a L. My commissioner league does this every week on top of the weekly matchups. We will end with 28 "games" played in 14 weeks. 

So my league’s schedule randomizer balances the schedule but has 6 divisional matchups set for week 12, screwing up all of our tiebreakers. 

I can manually set the matchups so they’re non-divisional, but that’s not random. 

If I plug teams into a randomizer, we’ll still get divisional matchups.

the only thing I can think of is taking the teams list as-is and using a pattern like 1 vs 5, 2 vs 6, 3 vs 7, etc. 

Any ideas on how to set the extra week’s games so they’re both random, and non-divisional?  I’m drawing a blank. 

I’m missing what the issue is with playing divisional games in Week 12, but wouldn’t the simplest solution just to switch the entire block of games to a different week? Meaning switching the games played in Week 9 (for example) with the games scheduled for Week 12.

I’m missing what the issue is with playing divisional games in Week 12, but wouldn’t the simplest solution just to switch the entire block of games to a different week? Meaning switching the games played in Week 9 (for example) with the games scheduled for Week 12.
So we have a balanced schedule. 

3 divisions of 4 teams. Every team plays each other once, divisional teams play each other twice (weeks 1-3 & 13-15) with playoff 15 & LCG 16.

Tiebreakers in divisions after overall W-L record, goes: H2H record -> Divisional record -> points. 

If some teams in the division play each other 3x & some only 2, it messes with the tiebreakers, regardless if that’s week 12 or week 5.  Folks in the league don’t want another (3rd) divisional matchup week. 

technically you’re right - we could leave it as-is. The tiebreakers still work. It’s just less than ideal. 

I don't get it. Then just change week 12 to non-divisional games. 2 in Div A play 2 in Div B. The other two in Div A play 2 in Div C. The remaining 2 in Div B play the remaining 2 in Div C. Randomly dice-roll who's who in each division if you really need it more random. 

I don't get it. Then just change week 12 to non-divisional games. 2 in Div A play 2 in Div B. The other two in Div A play 2 in Div C. The remaining 2 in Div B play the remaining 2 in Div C. Randomly dice-roll who's who in each division if you really need it more random. 
Right. That’s what I want to do. You’ve effectively restated the issue. 

how do I do it randomly?  Dice rolls aren’t verifiable. 

if I set matchups myself, I could be accused of manipulating the schedule. 

We always have "position" weeks to fill in from the balanced schedule.  We don't have divisions so it's easy where 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th, etc.  For divisions maybe go 1st vs last in other division (if you want to reward the top of the standings) or 1st vs 1st if you want competitive.  Just do something based on the standings at the time.  

We also used to have a rivalry week.  In a league of a bunch of buddies there are always multiple ways to create rivalries (browns fan vs steelers fan, etc)

Right. That’s what I want to do. You’ve effectively restated the issue. 

how do I do it randomly?  

if I set matchups myself, I could be accused of manipulating the schedule. 
The games are:

A1 vs B1, A2 vs B2, A3 vs C1, A4 vs C2, B3 vs C3, and B4 vs C4

Your job is to just randomly put teams in those slots. Take the 4 team names in Division A, say perhaps in alphabetical order or whatever you want, then randomly give them numbers using a randomizer. Like this one: https://www.random.org/sequences/?min=1&max=4&col=1&format=html&rnd=new

I just clicked it and got "2 3 4 1". So the second team alphabetically becomes A1, the third team alphabetically becomes A2, the 4th team becomes A3 and the first one becomes A4. Plug those in to the above schedule. Repeat for the other two divisions. 

Not sure what the issue is. Unless you need to verify it was random? There's a "premium" option to get an email to verify you only ran the numbers one time and that they're really random. I'm sure there are other diceroll sites out there that will send email results for free. 

The games are:

A1 vs B1, A2 vs B2, A3 vs C1, A4 vs C2, B3 vs C3, and B4 vs C4

Your job is to just randomly put teams in those slots. Take the 4 team names in Division A, say perhaps in alphabetical order or whatever you want, then randomly give them numbers using a randomizer. Like this one: https://www.random.org/sequences/?min=1&max=4&col=1&format=html&rnd=new

I just clicked it and got "2 3 4 1". So the second team alphabetically becomes A1, the third team alphabetically becomes A2, the 4th team becomes A3 and the first one becomes A4. Plug those in to the above schedule. Repeat for the other two divisions. 

Not sure what the issue is. Unless you need to verify it was random? There's a "premium" option to get an email to verify you only ran the numbers one time and that they're really random. I'm sure there are other diceroll sites out there that will send email results for free. 
We don’t want divisional teams playing against each other. 

i’ve used randomizers before. The issue isn’t how to randomize, it’s how to do it while excluding divisional matchups. 

I think I have it figured out.

I’ll plus #s 4-11 (the non-divisional schedule weeks) into a randomizer.

The # it spits out on top will be the week of the schedule I replicate. 

it will be time stamped & emailed to league members so they’ll know I didn’t pick it, and it will be a slate of non-divisional games.

Fits all my criteria.  

Appreciate the suggestions folks. They helped inspire this idea. 

What I posted is random and excludes divisional matchups. 
Ah - yes, I see that now.  

unfortunately that’s going to be far too complicated for some of my league members to get, and it needs to be verifiable as well as simple. 

if they get 3 emails for randomizing the team numbers, then a 4th randomizing the randomized numbers people are gonna be completely confused. 

ive got a 1-shot solution that’ll shut everyone up. :lol:  

but I do appreciate the suggestion - it’s the best way to do it, it’s just too advanced for a couple luddites in my league. 

Oh lort. Now we're gonna zoom, and pull names out of the bag. If we get a divisional match, we'll pull another name. 

:doh:  

Sometimes I hate my leaguemates. They're all capable adult humans, but the distrust of technology & tools is off the charts with some of them. And those same folks use tech & tools every day at their jobs. 

I-

Your leagemates seem like a group of high maintenance owners.  This subject really is really essentially irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.  This has been way to much work for essentially nothing of consequence.

So we have a balanced schedule. 

3 divisions of 4 teams. Every team plays each other once, divisional teams play each other twice (weeks 1-3 & 13-15) with playoff 15 & LCG 16.

Tiebreakers in divisions after overall W-L record, goes: H2H record -> Divisional record -> points. 

If some teams in the division play each other 3x & some only 2, it messes with the tiebreakers, regardless if that’s week 12 or week 5.  Folks in the league don’t want another (3rd) divisional matchup week. 

technically you’re right - we could leave it as-is. The tiebreakers still work. It’s just less than ideal. 
Not to derail the thread, but how do you select your divisions?  Friendly rivalries?  Randomized? Based on historical success?  Do they ever change?  

Not to derail the thread, but how do you select your divisions?  Friendly rivalries?  Randomized? Based on historical success?  Do they ever change?  
We do KDS draft, so people pick their draft spot. When they go to the board & select their draft spot, they pull a piece of folded paper out of a bowl with a division # on it. 

That's how we randomize divisions every year. 

We just did the zoom & drew the poker chips with names out of the bag. If there was a divisional name, it was set aside for the next matchup. 

Took all of 10 mins. I pulled the toughest matchup, naturally. :doh:  

Ah well - it's over. Whew. 

Your leagemates seem like a group of high maintenance owners.  This subject really is really essentially irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.  This has been way to much work for essentially nothing of consequence.

Could be worse. I've heard of leagues where the owners get drug tested to make sure no one's on performance enhancers. 

Eh - some folks may be dealing with the same situation, so I thought I'd share so they can have options on how to solve it. 

Overall they're not that high maintenance. All 11 + me are fair-minded people who have a great competitive spirit. No one colludes, and everyone fights to the end whether they're a playoff team or a loser bowl 8-seed (last place). They will spend $ to add players in order to play spoiler, and I respect the hell out of that. 

Every league has members with nuanced quirks, or idiosyncrasies - random order happens to be the case with a few or our members. Some have had bad experiences in past leagues & I am not going to belittle their traumas. It is what it is. I will simply do my best to accommodate as a friend and commish.

If others find value in this topic, it will live on. If not, it will fall off the page. It is what it is.  

Users who are viewing this thread