What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFT Anonymous Group - Where we frivolously spend crypto gains on digital animal cartoons. (2 Viewers)

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
Hi, I'm Cranks, and I'm addicted to NFTs.  I've recently spent over $20K on jpegs of skeletons and doggies for the right to call them my own and the hope that they'll be worth $200K next week.  I'll probably lose it all instead, but I'm having fun and the wife knows nothing.    

I'm currently invested in The Doge Pound, Al Cabones, and Cryptofighters on the Ethereum blockchain, but looking to make moves on Cardano and Solana's ecosystem next.

Please join me to discuss NFT projects that you like or to learn about NFTs in general.  They are the future and there is a ton of money to be made in them in the next few years as their mass adoption takes place.

Gotta admit I don't really "get" most of these NFTs, although I haven't really spent any time looking into them. 

It seems like there are some really cool applications of the technology. Like, I buy a ticket to a concert or a sporting event and it comes with an NFT which is basically the modern equivalent of a ticket stub proving I was there. Or when I buy a digital video game it comes with an NFT which facilitates me selling my digital copy of the game on a secondary market. Something like NBA Top Shot as the future of basketball cards makes sense to me - after all, the old cards we used to collect were literally just pictures printed on cardboard, they were as inherently worthless as their digital equivalent but that didn't prevent the existence of the thriving market for them back in the day. 

But people paying 5, 6, 7 figures for a 8-bit drawing of a monkey or something? I guess I just don't get the value proposition there, especially as more and more of these flood the market. Like I understand how anything with scarcity can basically become a collectible, but it just seems inevitable that almost all of these will quickly become worthless, no?

Gotta admit I don't really "get" most of these NFTs, although I haven't really spent any time looking into them. 

It seems like there are some really cool applications of the technology. Like, I buy a ticket to a concert or a sporting event and it comes with an NFT which is basically the modern equivalent of a ticket stub proving I was there. Or when I buy a digital video game it comes with an NFT which facilitates me selling my digital copy of the game on a secondary market. Something like NBA Top Shot as the future of basketball cards makes sense to me - after all, the old cards we used to collect were literally just pictures printed on cardboard, they were as inherently worthless as their digital equivalent but that didn't prevent the existence of the thriving market for them back in the day. 

But people paying 5, 6, 7 figures for a 8-bit drawing of a monkey or something? I guess I just don't get the value proposition there, especially as more and more of these flood the market. Like I understand how anything with scarcity can basically become a collectible, but it just seems inevitable that almost all of these will quickly become worthless, no?
Absolutely.  There is a ton of oversupply in the market right now and people are buying in thinking each 10,000 picture project is going to turn them into millionaires. Only the best projects will remain standing, and that's highly dependent on its historic value (Cryptopunks is argued to be the first NFT project on ETH) and ability to grow its community through marketing and use cases (Bored Ape Yacht Club). 

To your second paragraph, a lot of people don't realize just how much crypto and NFTs are going to change our world.  You mentioned NFTs in gaming and there's a whole new industry blossoming called Play-to-Earn where people earn in-game assets (NFTs) that they can sell on an open marketplace.  You may have heard about the concept of a metaverse.  As society adopts crypto. more and more of our life will be lived inside a metaverse with our identity and individuality tied to the NFTs we've chosen to participate with.

I'm trying to buy my first one today but gas prices too high right now. The NFT is $128 but the gas is $200+. Hope it goes down soon because I really want and need that cartoon teddy bear picture!
Yeah, it's ridiculous to do smaller purchases on Ethereum.  Have you checked out anything on Solana (Solanart)or Cardano ?  Their gas fees are next to nothing.  

I'm interested in trying to flip these for profit but I have zero interest in ever owning one just as a collector's item and I don't understand why anyone ever would. 

So, :blackdot:

When I first heard of this concept I thought you got the rights to a specific picture or video, and that no one else could use it. The truth seems…..less interesting 

I'm trying to buy my first one today but gas prices too high right now. The NFT is $128 but the gas is $200+. Hope it goes down soon because I really want and need that cartoon teddy bear picture!
I have 10.5 eth and I started the process of using half for nfts. Researching as discussed in the btc thread; using twit, telegram, project web pages, seeking something with potential. I haven't got close enough to look at gas fees, but I just hit the breaks. @Captain Crankssaid the money to be made was on eth. Then he posted a vid saying eth is dead. Sol and Ada are the future of nfts. I have issues with both beliefs and much of what was in the vid, but yeah - to he!! with the gas. I am expanding my search to a few other blockchains to see what I find. I'll probably end up on Sol. 

I was going to post a bit about Harmony/One in the other thread, non nft related. Just a stake I made last week on ViperSwap (600-1000% apy). I have a big crush on this project atm, and here's the recent Reddit about the NFT projects within. I'll probable spend the rest of the day/night chasing those links. 

Just when I thought I was out

I'm interested in trying to flip these for profit but I have zero interest in ever owning one just as a collector's item and I don't understand why anyone ever would. 

So, :blackdot:
Yup, never been a collector, never been a gamer, and fml collecting and gaming are the hottest spaces in this thing in which I'm obsessed. Blah, I'm in, but just for flipping.

I have 10.5 eth and I started the process of using half for nfts. Researching as discussed in the btc thread; using twit, telegram, project web pages, seeking something with potential. I haven't got close enough to look at gas fees, but I just hit the breaks. @Captain Crankssaid the money to be made was on eth. Then he posted a vid saying eth is dead. Sol and Ada are the future of nfts. I have issues with both beliefs and much of what was in the vid, but yeah - to he!! with the gas. I am expanding my search to a few other blockchains to see what I find. I'll probably end up on Sol. 

I was going to post a bit about Harmony/One in the other thread, non nft related. Just a stake I made last week on ViperSwap (600-1000% apy). I have a big crush on this project atm, and here's the recent Reddit about the NFT projects within. I'll probable spend the rest of the day/night chasing those links. 

Just when I thought I was out
That would explain why ONE has been running a bit the last couple of days.  SOL is definitely benefitting from the NFT rush of late.  

The Ethereum NFT is definitely for the big dogs right now although Opeasea partnered with Immutable X to offer a gas free layer 2 solution.  I'm not sure when that will launch, but would put ETH back in the game for the smaller guys.  In the meantime, that gives SOL, ADA, ONE, BNB, MATIC, and others the chance to capture market share for us less wealthy newcomers.  

I wonder how many lawsuits will arise from NFTs. They'll definitely be lawyers who only specialize in this stuff. 

Has anyone used Veve?  Marvel and DC are using that platform for NFT’s.  I bought a couple hundred bucks worth just to try it out, but at this point, it doesn’t appear that they even have a “cash out” mechanism.

I just bought my first NFTs on Cardano.  The process is a little slower/clunkier because smart contracts aren't set up, but I love the art and sub-$1 gas fees are divine.  

aeonium sky

Veve/Ecomi dropping some spidey comics nfts in a couple hours. I cost averaged other tokens into ecomi a couple days ago, and I'm going to try to get in on this. The expectation is bots will buy everything very fast, and there's some grumblings in the community that they're tired of comic books. so i guess i'll see how it goes. 

Tomorrow morning they drop Star Trek for the first time. Lots of excitement. Getting an Enterprise seems to be the biggest covet. 

I invested in Ecomi and Metahero awhile back when i wanted some exposure to gaming and nfts. These two seemed unique. Ecomi allows you to scale your collectibles 1:1, so you could literally snap a pic of yourself with your Batman. They also have augmented reality and virtual showrooms you can walk through. And soon games will be developed wherein you can include your showroom. They're loaded with licensing contracts from marvel and dc and many more. I didn't see Star Trek coming. 

No web app for pc. Need the mobile app. And you need the native token OMI. I have a ton at the moment. 

The sales pitch for the comic book nfts is - unlike having a hard copy, your digital copy can never be damaged. No bent or torn pages, damaged covers etc. And it is the complete comic book. You can read them. 

I have no idea if "What if Spiderman Joined the Fantastic Four" from February 1977 is a great nft to collect, but that's the offering at 8am pst . Hard copies in mint condition sell for $1250.

Captain Cranks said:
I just bought my first NFTs on Cardano.  The process is a little slower/clunkier because smart contracts aren't set up, but I love the art and sub-$1 gas fees are divine.  

aeonium sky
Follow up on this, since Cardano smart contracts don't go live until the 9/12, their NFT purchase system relies on direct P2P transactions.  When you buy something on CNFT.io, you send the money to the seller's address, then the seller has 24 hours to send you the NFT.  If they don't, your money is refunded (minus miniscule gas fees).  It basically gives the seller a free option to do the deal, which sucks.  I know this first hand because one of the NFTs I bought has not been delivered yet and there's only 5 hours left on the clock.  

Hopefully once smart contracts go live it'll function as it should.  

I like cats.  Haven't gotten in yet, but it interests me. 
OK.  Some advice 2-weeks ago Cranks wishes they'd listened to. 

1.  Make sure the project is led by a quality team.  If they don't provide good background of their team on their website, then it's a gamble it'll be run well.

2.  Review their whitepaper and make sure there's a plan for longer term growth/value.  Projects with 10,000 jpegs and no plan are a dime a dozen and will likely end in loss.  You want to see things like future drops for owners, use cases for a metaverse, and other things that can bring in future members and add more value to OGs.  Just to explain further what I'm talking about, check out this update for the members of Cyberkongz.  

So

VeVe, Ecomi, Omi, Gems, NFTs* (This is one big, fun, sort of centralized, ecosystem for nfts*)

before I start typing

TL/DR - I do not recommend owning OMI but I say that with caveats. I recommend getting the VeVe app, buying 100 Gems, and participating in the nft drops, also with caveats.

* Get that asterisk out of the way first. You can only buy, sell, or use your VeVe collectibles within the ecosystem.

According to community members this makes VeVe collectibles something less than nfts. Close but limited. You can sell in VeVe's marketplace as soon as you buy. I did that with something the community is calling a fail. If this was a fail, I am all in on more failures. 

Rather than typing a tutorial, I recommend a youtuber named Stay Alpha.

The app is better than most. Download to your phone. Buy Gems (1:1 with $s) with credit, debit or even Paypal. Wait for a drop of collectibles (blind or not), hit buy buy buy as fast as you can at 8am pst when the buy button appears.

On Tuesday morning I went to buy 10 Spiderman comic books in a blind drop with rares for the lucky. The price was $7 each. I was told they would sell out in 1 minute. Yeah more like 25 seconds. I got nada. The most rare are up to 4k atm. 2nd most rare 1k. Uncommons 300. Commons 150. Even the most common are up 2000% in a couple days.

Hulk comic books dropped this morning. Same story. I got nada. Way up already. 

But this isn't a project that will let you spend 5k one morning to see 2000% returns quickly. For now no whales allowed. The comic books always drop for $7 or less. There's no way to buy 1000 and make a real killing. Scoring 6 seems to be the best anyone can do on a lucky series of buy buy buy tapping. The affordability makes this for everyone, and frankly, I'm having a blast. I will try not to miss any drop going fwd. Because...

While being shutout on the comics Tuesday and today, I did nab two rare Starship Enterprises yesterday morning. It wasn't blind. They were $150 each. VeVe art, not comic books. So the price was bumped. I tried for 4, well I had Gems for 4. So they're post-mint floor started out at 5k-ish on the in-house market. It dropped and dropped until buyers kicked in just under 1k. I sold both for $1800. A 6x in 24 hours is a fail to these collectors. They expected much more. I'm giddy. 

This is a good ecosystem for those who need to start building with less than $100. This week you could have realistically turned that into $500 with normal luck. Lather rinse repeat. 

The fiat onramp is very nice, but there's is no fiat offramp if you want cash. You convert Gems to OMI and then... you know the drill, a centralized exchange. 

As usual, this is too long. I'll post about Ecomi (OMI) in the btc thread later.

So

VeVe, Ecomi, Omi, Gems, NFTs* (This is one big, fun, sort of centralized, ecosystem for nfts*)

Rather than typing a tutorial, I recommend a youtuber named Stay Alpha.
This is what I did this morning to score a couple NFTs.

Watch how fast they sell out. Seconds. The link is to Stay Alpha buying live. I advanced to a minute or so before the drop. He only got one. Using his tricks I got 2. Both commons. Last time I sold right away just to experience the whole process. I'll hold these for awhile. 

Hey. Just updated my FBG pic to one of our Colonist NFTs.
We have 10 colonists. This dog has a couple of the rarer traits, snowboard (1%) & visor (0.93%). I like the look. Just thought I'd share.

When I first heard of this concept I thought you got the rights to a specific picture or video, and that no one else could use it. The truth seems…..less interesting 
This can be done as well. It all depends on what the offering is for. It can be for the actual material item, and the digital license as well. Recently paintings done with Stan Lee's face on top of different Marvel scenes were put up for the digital and the very large art pieces together. They were done in conjunction with Stan Lee during his last year of life as he directly advised on the pieces. They are going to be holy grail type collectables and paintings for comic fans and were priced  way beyond the main stream.

Last edited by a moderator:
This space is like the wild wild west.  Tons of supply out there and feels like it's not slowing.  Drops are generally a horrible experience.  So many of these are money grabs and the devs/teams become disengaged after the drop.  Scammers putting up almost identical projects on OS to lure in people to buy fakes.  People getting all their NFTs and ETH stolen because they think they're dealing with OS help or whatever.  ETC ETC

Then there's Discord, which to me is a nightmare of an app/site (at least it's not Telegram bad), where most of these projects communicate and grow their communities.  

I've bought a few of the wrong ones that haven't boomed, but I still think there is room to grow with them.  I also minted 3 chickens to race/breed of what basically seems like the chicken version of Zed Run.  That should pop once Beta starts soon and I'm definitely going to sell 1 of my 2 hens while keeping a hen and rooster.  Waiting to sell the Own The Moment/The Owners Club fantasy football NFTs, that drop was a mess and still has no secondary market on OS.  All I wanted to do was flip them to fantasy football nuts.

I enter a bunch and have won a few giveaways through Twitter/Discord as well.  Nothing big to write home about, but one I just "won" has a floor over .3 ETH, I'm just not sure it's legit yet as the person hasn't sent it over to me.  There are people running fake giveaways on Twitter to gain followers, but to me it's not worth much time investigating them, you sorta figure out who's legit as you go.  What's the point of increased followers on Twitter anyways?  It's not like Twitch where the more subs you have the more you can make from being a Twitch partner.  

The Doge Pound NFT just announced that OG Doge owners will have pre-release access to new influencer based NFT projects as part of a new launchpad effort.  This could wind up adding huge value to owners (which I'm one)

ETA - the floor has gone from 0.7 to 1.30 in the three hours since this was announced.  

This space is like the wild wild west.  Tons of supply out there and feels like it's not slowing.  Drops are generally a horrible experience.  So many of these are money grabs and the devs/teams become disengaged after the drop.  Scammers putting up almost identical projects on OS to lure in people to buy fakes.  People getting all their NFTs and ETH stolen because they think they're dealing with OS help or whatever.  ETC ETC

Then there's Discord, which to me is a nightmare of an app/site (at least it's not Telegram bad), where most of these projects communicate and grow their communities.  

I've bought a few of the wrong ones that haven't boomed, but I still think there is room to grow with them.  I also minted 3 chickens to race/breed of what basically seems like the chicken version of Zed Run.  That should pop once Beta starts soon and I'm definitely going to sell 1 of my 2 hens while keeping a hen and rooster.  Waiting to sell the Own The Moment/The Owners Club fantasy football NFTs, that drop was a mess and still has no secondary market on OS.  All I wanted to do was flip them to fantasy football nuts.

I enter a bunch and have won a few giveaways through Twitter/Discord as well.  Nothing big to write home about, but one I just "won" has a floor over .3 ETH, I'm just not sure it's legit yet as the person hasn't sent it over to me.  There are people running fake giveaways on Twitter to gain followers, but to me it's not worth much time investigating them, you sorta figure out who's legit as you go.  What's the point of increased followers on Twitter anyways?  It's not like Twitch where the more subs you have the more you can make from being a Twitch partner.  
It's definitely the wild wild west.  Crypto in general is, but NFTs are a different level of scamminess.

As with most things, I shot first and aimed later, leading to some pretty sizable losses on a couple projects.  I FOMO'd into a stupid Al Cabones collection that is led by a clownshow of a development team.  I should have studied things a bit more before jumping in.  

Meanwhile, the projects I mean to get into but never do like Cyberkongz has exploded.  I'm hoping with the Doge Pound launchpad news I mentioned above, my luck will change.  

This one is intriguing. So how does one get started on this?
You just need to buy an original Doge Pound NFT on Opensea.  The floor has risen to 1.67 ETH, so it's more than $5k to get in the club, but I think the upside far outweighs the downside at this price.  

It has a great community, name recognition, leadership who is constantly thinking of ways to add value, and at least two influencers with a large vested interest to keep it pumped (Alex Becker and JRNY Crypto).

F me.  Should have got in what I posted this and was thinking about.  Floor at the time was .5 ETH.  These have been booming. Floor is now 1.5 ETH.  😢
So frustrating.  NFTs are infinitely worse than regular crypto in terms of where to spend your time and effort.  I need a fifty person staff and 10 figure bankroll to feel like I'm adequately covering the opportunities in this space.  It's kind of exhausting, honestly.   

Captain Cranks said:
So frustrating.  NFTs are infinitely worse than regular crypto in terms of where to spend your time and effort.  I need a fifty person staff and 10 figure bankroll to feel like I'm adequately covering the opportunities in this space.  It's kind of exhausting, honestly.   
I'm afraid. I got my wife on board with crypto as part of our financial planning earlier in the year and found some great tokens that we believe in and can get behind. NFT's, she would think are stupid, but then be drunk with the potential profits. She is all about quick and easy money and I am the play it safe person. So, I actually see if I start this train she will take control of the engine and go to town, except she doesn't do research unless its in her field. Anything beyond work, nope, quick and easy.  :moneybag:   :moneybag:  

Put us down for 7 of  the kittypunks jpegs.

I'm afraid. I got my wife on board with crypto as part of our financial planning earlier in the year and found some great tokens that we believe in and can get behind. NFT's, she would think are stupid, but then be drunk with the potential profits. She is all about quick and easy money and I am the play it safe person. So, I actually see if I start this train she will take control of the engine and go to town, except she doesn't do research unless its in her field. Anything beyond work, nope, quick and easy.  :moneybag:   :moneybag:  

Put us down for 7 of  the kittypunks jpegs.
You have every right to be afraid under those circumstances.  NFTs are like crack and I'm finding lead to some very compulsive, high cost purchases. 

Veve/Ecomi dropping some spidey comics nfts in a couple hours. I cost averaged other tokens into ecomi a couple days ago, and I'm going to try to get in on this. The expectation is bots will buy everything very fast, and there's some grumblings in the community that they're tired of comic books. so i guess i'll see how it goes. 

Tomorrow morning they drop Star Trek for the first time. Lots of excitement. Getting an Enterprise seems to be the biggest covet. 

I invested in Ecomi and Metahero awhile back when i wanted some exposure to gaming and nfts. These two seemed unique. Ecomi allows you to scale your collectibles 1:1, so you could literally snap a pic of yourself with your Batman. They also have augmented reality and virtual showrooms you can walk through. And soon games will be developed wherein you can include your showroom. They're loaded with licensing contracts from marvel and dc and many more. I didn't see Star Trek coming. 

No web app for pc. Need the mobile app. And you need the native token OMI. I have a ton at the moment. 

The sales pitch for the comic book nfts is - unlike having a hard copy, your digital copy can never be damaged. No bent or torn pages, damaged covers etc. And it is the complete comic book. You can read them. 

I have no idea if "What if Spiderman Joined the Fantastic Four" from February 1977 is a great nft to collect, but that's the offering at 8am pst . Hard copies in mint condition sell for $1250.
Picked up a Captain America this am! Not sure yet which rarity. 

ETA: Alpha says cashout capability should be coming within the next month. :tinfoilhat:  

Picked up a Captain America this am! Not sure yet which rarity. 

ETA: Alpha says cashout capability should be coming within the next month. :tinfoilhat:  
Nice. Which cover art did you get?

The space is so fluid things i wrote a week or so ago don't apply. When I first started watching and learning, VeVe had about  20k members. Now over 300k. You had almost a minute to work the buy button a month ago. Then 30 seconds. Then ten seconds. Now one second. I got shut out. I blame my blind bid waivers in my money league. Happens at the same time. haha

Lots of whining out there.

Next up Throg - Saturday same time same place. $50 blind drop. Very few rares, only 3 super rares, minting 13k instead of 9k. Comments show something I was talking about. Great place for those with just $100 to start building. Man do poor people ##### alot. I am all in on the $50 drop.

I'm not selling any of these this year. Alpha is great to learn from, but the floors have been dropping big while the demand to score at 8am has become absurd. There's a few solid follows on Twitter. Where the conversation is rational, there's great expectations that this massive 8am demand is going to lead to equally massive price hikes when a much larger slice of the old school collector's demographic finds out about these. That's going to require Eth 2.0 on Open Sea + VeVe letting us into open markets. Hodl Captain America, I think. Selling in a month for a hundred might seem like a bad idea next year. Congrats, Nate.

On the other hand, I wrote a bunch of negatives about VeVe's Ecomi token. I got started here by buying it. It was always sideways when everything else went up. The tokenomics were blamed by people smarter than me. Well, I almost sold most of it for other projects planning on just using gems to buy the nfts. Just procrastination stopped me. Since then, it's been outperforming just about everything. Pure luck. You just never know with crypto.

Users who are viewing this thread