What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The unofficial Australian Thread (2 Viewers)

Australian Hospitals Over Capacity With People Beaten By Police For Not Wearing Masks

SYDNEY—Australian hospitals are bursting at the seams, having reached their breaking point after being flooded with patients during the pandemic. The Australians streaming into the hospitals don't have COVID, though, but instead are just bloodied and bruised from cops beating them up for not wearing masks, going outside for fresh air, and talking to other people.

While Australia has done well keeping case numbers down throughout the pandemic, their performance fighting the virus has been offset by the number of people getting curb-stomped by police.

"Well, bugger! It's way over capacity here, mate," said one nurse in Sydney. "By the beard of a Koala! We got way too many wankers comin' on in here and gettin' all cracked up by the bloody coppers, mate." In American English, this apparently means, "Well, gosh darn it all! There's too many people in this hospital, y'all. By the beard of Abraham Lincoln! We have way too many people coming into this here hospital and getting beat up by the popo, dude."

According to medical professionals in Australia, the concerning rise in people getting absolutely demolished by the police and having to get rushed to the hospital is exacerbated by the fact that hospitals are already overwhelmed with people who got bit by two-story-tall spiders, punched by kangaroos, and elbow-dropped by drop bears.

https://babylonbee.com/news/australian-hospitals-over-capacity-with-people-beaten-by-police-for-not-wearing-masks

Australian border to reopen for first time in pandemic LINK

Travel would not immediately be open to foreigners, but the government said it was working "towards welcoming tourists back to our shores". 

Australia Building Quarantine Camps For “Ongoing Operations”

Facility being built to house those “who have not had access to vaccination.”

Despite some states tentatively beginning to lift lockdown restrictions, Australian authorities are building quarantine camps that won’t be completed until next year in order to prepare for “ongoing operations” and to house those “who have not had access to vaccination.”

According to ABC Australia, one such 1,000-bed quarantine facility at Wellcamp Airport outside Toowoomba will be fully completed by the end of March 2022.

“At this stage, the cabins will be used by domestic travellers returning from COVID hotspots,” states the report.

However, it also makes clear that the camp will be used for “ongoing operations” and will be a source of employment for the local area.

The camps is split into different zones and accommodates singles, doubles, and family rooms while being patrolled by police and security guards 24/7.

https://summit.news/2021/10/12/australia-building-quarantine-camps-for-ongoing-operations/
Has this ever been attempted in history before?

It's almost like they dont want you to know what is happening in Australia.

Asked a group of coworkers if they knew what was happening in Australia. 2 of the 4 had no idea anything was even newsworthy down there. 

Shame on our media. 

Interesting how the covid lockdowns actually skyrocketed the covid cases. 

Australia Building Quarantine Camps For “Ongoing Operations”

Has this ever been attempted in history before?

I can think of a few times. Doesn't usually go well for the campers. 

Scary times when I'd bet some in the pro-vax mandate cult would probably support these roundup operations. 
You guys and the fear mongering is hilarious. Yes any quarantine facility is the same as a concentration camp. Get a grip guys

The lockdowns are strict. Yes. They also prevent the spread of covid and are widely supported by all sides of politics, who are driven by the huuuuge public support for these positions except the radical right (and left). The spread in NSW occurred before the lockdowns and couldnt be contained. The spread mainly came from truck drivers doing “essential” business and spreading it to their immediate families. 

As of now NSW has 92% first dose, 81% second dose and is opening up. Its cases have dropped from 1200 per day to less than 300. 

Victoria, as always cops it worse. Initially spread by “essential” truck drivers from nsw and spread through the family networks of second and third generation migrant families. Victoria is 82% first dose, 66% second dose. By november victoria will be over 80% double dose and will open up.

Queensland, once again avoids lockdowns and has had 6 deaths total and 2000 cases.....total.....since Covid started. The 1000 bed facility is for those quarantining, which soon will be irrelevant. Queensland is also trialling home quarantine. As queensland has the lowest vaccination rate in australia due to supply heading to nsw, victoria and ACT as a priority, they are treading water until they catch up. The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) has a vaccination rate of 97%

The most successful quarantine facility in australia is the Howard Springs facitily in the Northern territory. The one in Toowoomba is aiming to be similar....if necessary. The hotel quarantine has had too many leaks for all concerned. 

If you want to complain about media in Australia, it is essentially the Murdoch press and the public broadcaster. Thats essentially it. Print media is almost exclusively Murdoch. 

The people getting “punished” by the police are organised by professional provocateurs. Extreme right AND left wing elements enjoying the chaos and mayhem. They are vilified by all sides of the australian populace and both sides of the political spectrum. they maybe number 2% of the population, but as usual are the most vocal. With very few exceptions they are getting small fines. Someone who punched a police horse got the same. Those physically attacking police may get worse. 

People in Australia generally (95-98%) wear masks, as instructed. Are getting their vaccines and will open up by christmas. Some states, like western australia, tasmania and queensland will be later as they arent getting the vaccines that nsw, act and victoria did. As they also have no daily covid numbers, the population are going to wait for an outbreak before getting vaccinated. 

Dystopian. ####### concentration camps are officially here in a Western 'Democracy.' Unreal.

JML, 2 questions. 1, are you ok? and 2, is this true? LINK

Thanks Norville for the concern.

Let me clarify the reporting you guys are seeing. First of all we are talking about remote indigenous areas in the Northern Territory. These people are often living 15 or more to a house in squalid conditions. No amounts of money the governments throw at these communities seems to help. Many have poor to no education, alcohol, drug, sexual abuse you name it runs rampant. Their life expectancy, child infant mortality...all key life index measures, they rank at the very bottom. Governments all around Australia, of all persuasions, have worked tirelessly to keep Covid out of these communities. 18 plus months they have been successful. Until now. 

The reporting you are seeing is slanted, full of propaganda and neglecting key facts. These are remote communities with no public transport. The army basically is tasked by the Northern Territory government of transportation to testing, medical care and vaccinations. If a case is positive, or need to isolate, they get transferred to the “hell hole” of Howard Springs (see link below) . Howard Springs is paradise compared to the difficulty of hotel quarantines operated by other states. The Australian and state governments of all persuasions have used the ADF to utilize what they are best at, expediency, competancy and precision. Without a bunch of middle men confusing the issues.

Outcomes will be poor if Covid hits these areas. Preparing, testing etc helps stay one step ahead. 

Less than 5% of the population, and heavily armed by US and other foreign misinformation, are livid. Shouting freedom means #### without knowledge. Their message is a muddled mess of cross talk, lies and threats to politicians. These are not the best representation of Australia. New South Wales and now even Victoria have freedoms. There is no turning back for the 2 biggest states. Overseas travel will resume soon. Governments of all persuasions are now learning to live with covid. Summer is cricket time and its the Ashes. Stadiums will be full to fully vaccinated. Masks will not be mandatory in most settings. Interstate borders will be fully open within a month.....except maybe Western Australia.

As an FYI here are vaccination numbers for the various states. Australia just passed 200,000 cases total for the pandemic with a 2% death rate.

Australian Capital Territory 99.9% first dose, 97.5% double dose

NSW 94.4% first dose, 91.8% double does

Victoria 93.0% first dose, 89.2% double dose

Tasmania 92.6% 1st, 84.8% 2nd

South Australia 87.1% 1st, 77.2% 2nd

Northern Territory 86.0% 1st, 73.3% 2nd

Queensland 84.5% 1st, 73.3% 2nd

Western Australia 84.3%, 72.7% 2nd

Australia was slow out of the blocks for vaccination, but will easily exceed 90% double dose by the new year. 

Some links for further reading without trying to fear monger you

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-23/nt-adf-helping-with-covid-tests-katherine/100642436

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/coronavirus/nt-records-11-covid19-cases-one-person-tests-positive-in-sa-as-state-borders-reopen/news-story/8321b6363607efa656efa4706dc892b1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-11/quarantine-in-darwin-howard-springs-facility-becomes-a-holiday/12648762

Not sure what to tell you guy. You want to believe anti vacc people thats ok. I dont think the first link was from that community. The second women definitely wasn’t. They are believing online propaganda from outside the country. I dont doubt they are concerend and there are people arent happy with what is happening.  The number one priority from governments is ensuring Covid doesnt hit Aboriginal communities. The death rate will be high. The impact on Health Services will be high. These communities are treated no differently than people in the big cities, bar one thing their remoteness requiring ADF assistance. The ADF has a very strict remit. 

Here’s a couple of links

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/2021/11/24/nt-traditional-owners-deny-reports-army-forcing-vaccinations

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/nt-chief-minister-hits-out-at-misinformation-over-katherine-cluster/3751d8f3-cbb3-461f-aa5a-11384142e8ca

Is it possible that some of these people are being bribed, coerced and even tricked into getting vaccinated? Yep. Just like everyone else. They could also be being educated as well on the pros and cons of vaccination, having their questions and concerns being heard by medical professionals on why they should get the vaccine etc. They have to sign authority to get the vaccine. 90% of Australians will be double dosed by the New Year. Are they all willing? Probably not. Some do it to ensure they keep their job. Some because of family, community and peer pressure. Governments and society as a whole is pushing for 95%.  

As for the transportation to Howard Springs, that is standard practice in states/territories with very few cases. In queensland they even used to put all positive cases in hospital.Howard Springs is so much nicer than hotel quarantine. The Northern Territory has had what 200 cases in 20 months. They should be well prepared. In NSW and Victoria once the numbers got “out of control”, this was no longer feasible. People were ordered to stay at home if positive or a close contact for 14 days. Enforceable by Police visiting every premise at some stage during the quarantine. Is this popular? Damn straight it was. People in Australia didn’t want covid in their communities. Public Health overid Civil Liberties. Thats why Australia only has had 200, 000 cases in 20 months.

There are definite arguments against this approach, but on the scale of public approval few things are more popular. Will history be unkind to this approach? Possibly. 

I am not sure on why the far right news organizations in foreign countries are targetting the approach that has broad public appeal. Fear and scare mongering at its best. Maybe stories come out from the individuals affected. Nobody seems to give a crap about what there lives were like beforehand. They are on strict government assitance programs that limit their money to essential items. No drinking, no gambling etc. They are only allowed air conditioning for limited periods of time in temperatures of 110 degrees fahrenheit. They are not educated. Their quality of life is apalling. Nobody cares about their welfare. Out of sight, out of mind.  Now they are getting international attention from people who want to push agendas which suit their target audiences. They wont do anything to help these people. These people will not make good television. They are barely literate in English. Foreign “media” isn’t going to have a translator for them to speak in their native languages. 

No I understand you're there but my BS meter goes off when I see headlines like this.

"Inside the Darwin quarantine camp, where life is 'like a holiday' for people escaping lockdown"

Combine that with these videos of people that claim to be Aborigines online saying they are being persecuted and experimented on (which is a lot of effort for someone who is just "antii-vax") then it makes me a bit skeptical at the corporate media picture of everything being fine under total lockdown. 

No I understand you're there but my BS meter goes off when I see headlines like this.

"Inside the Darwin quarantine camp, where life is 'like a holiday' for people escaping lockdown"

Combine that with these videos of people that claim to be Aborigines online saying they are being persecuted and experimented on (which is a lot of effort for someone who is just "antii-vax") then it makes me a bit skeptical at the corporate media picture of everything being fine under total lockdown. 
I have no problem with skepticism, in fact I welcome it. At some stage though you need to defer to people who know more than you about a subject ie experts. You have an immediate bias to accept a slanted argument from flimsy sources. If there is proof, rather than feelings or spurious leaps of faith, then bring it on. Examine what these people are saying, why they are saying it and whether they have the knowledge to give credible opinions. 

I would put the treatment of Australian Aboriginals by governments approaching and maybe past anything that happened with Native Americans or Slavery. They successfully wiped them out of Tasmania and went close elsewhere. If anyone has a right to be wary of governments, its them. They are probably the lowest vaccinated group in Australia. An anti government message works incredibly easy with them.

Still, provacateurs thousands of miles away with an agenda they are pushing to their audience, based on faulty logic  and a well worn narrative isn’t proof. All evidence points to these communities getting treated no differently than anyone else except for getting special treatment cause of their remoteness. I am open to listening directly to their experiences, but right now we are getting messages from people with a clear anti vacc agenda. If there was a decent media in Australia, maybe someone could check further, but i wouldnt count on it. The only “Corporate” media in Australia is right wing Murdoch or the Public broadcaster. 

The whole vaccination/Anti vacc argument is a different kettle of fish. Of course there are risks and unknowns with the covid vaccination. To me there is enough evidence that the risks without it are far greater. 

John Maddens Lunchbox said:
I have no problem with skepticism, in fact I welcome it. At some stage though you need to defer to people who know more than you about a subject ie experts. You have an immediate bias to accept a slanted argument from flimsy sources. If there is proof, rather than feelings or spurious leaps of faith, then bring it on. Examine what these people are saying, why they are saying it and whether they have the knowledge to give credible opinions. 

I would put the treatment of Australian Aboriginals by governments approaching and maybe past anything that happened with Native Americans or Slavery. They successfully wiped them out of Tasmania and went close elsewhere. If anyone has a right to be wary of governments, its them. They are probably the lowest vaccinated group in Australia. An anti government message works incredibly easy with them.

Still, provacateurs thousands of miles away with an agenda they are pushing to their audience, based on faulty logic  and a well worn narrative isn’t proof. All evidence points to these communities getting treated no differently than anyone else except for getting special treatment cause of their remoteness. I am open to listening directly to their experiences, but right now we are getting messages from people with a clear anti vacc agenda. If there was a decent media in Australia, maybe someone could check further, but i wouldnt count on it. The only “Corporate” media in Australia is right wing Murdoch or the Public broadcaster. 

The whole vaccination/Anti vacc argument is a different kettle of fish. Of course there are risks and unknowns with the covid vaccination. To me there is enough evidence that the risks without it are far greater. 

What a great post :)

Teenagers from remote NT community arrested after escape from Howard Springs COVID quarantine facility

"At a COVID update press conference, NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner confirmed the teenagers, aged 15, 16 and 17, tested negative for the virus yesterday. 

At the press conference, Mr Gunner said authorities were dealing with "a pretty complicated cohort at the Centre for National Resilience right now, with complex needs."

"This the first time we've had to use the centre for large numbers of people from an Aboriginal community, but it probably won't be the last time," he said."

Teenagers from remote NT community arrested after escape from Howard Springs COVID quarantine facility

"At a COVID update press conference, NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner confirmed the teenagers, aged 15, 16 and 17, tested negative for the virus yesterday. 

At the press conference, Mr Gunner said authorities were dealing with "a pretty complicated cohort at the Centre for National Resilience right now, with complex needs."

"This the first time we've had to use the centre for large numbers of people from an Aboriginal community, but it probably won't be the last time," he said."
What is the criteria to be in the facility? Having covid or travel related?

Or is this an unvaccinated punishment?

People often asked before all this why we need 2a or would ever need to carry that much ammo or need a gun with that big a magazine. Then 2020 came and the world can collectively go "Oh yea, now I remember."
You are aware Australians have guns and in fact gun ownership is higher than it was before the current laws were put into place right?

You are aware Australians have guns and in fact gun ownership is higher than it was before the current laws were put into place right?

Hmmm....I did NOT know that.  I was told that they confiscated all the guns.  How is it possible that gun ownership is now higher?

More guns but less per person. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-44105129

From 2018: "Australians now own more guns in total than they did before the 1996 crackdown, according to figures from 2016 - the last time they were comprehensively studied.

That amounts to more than three million firearms, according to separate government statistics.

But gun ownership per capita has dropped by 23% during the same time, said Associate Prof Philip Alpers from the University of Sydney.

"Far fewer people now have a gun in their home but some people have a lot more guns," Associate Prof Philip Alpers told the BBC."

From 2018: "Australians now own more guns in total than they did before the 1996 crackdown, according to figures from 2016 - the last time they were comprehensively studied.

That amounts to more than three million firearms, according to separate government statistics.

But gun ownership per capita has dropped by 23% during the same time, said Associate Prof Philip Alpers from the University of Sydney.

"Far fewer people now have a gun in their home but some people have a lot more guns," Associate Prof Philip Alpers told the BBC."

I'm thinking @Stealthycat has most of them.  :)

Hmmm....I did NOT know that.  I was told that they confiscated all the guns.  How is it possible that gun ownership is now higher?
Because it was a buy back not a confiscation, a highly successful one, and the buy back concentrated on for the lack of a better term assault weapons.

But that's a choice not done by force of law obviously. And in fact this is widely viewed in Australia as the best thing that government did.

But that's a choice not done by force of law obviously. And in fact this is widely viewed in Australia as the best thing that government did.
I see a lot of gun buy back programs in America fail because the payment amounts are less than a person could get at a pawn shop. Baffles me. 

"You feel like you’re in prison. You feel like you’ve done something wrong, it’s inhumane what they’re doing. You are so small, they just overpower you. And you’re literally nothing. It’s like ‘you do what we say, or you’re in trouble, we’ll lock you up for longer’. Yeah, they were even threatening me that if I was to do this again, “we will extend your time in here."

- HAYLEY HODGSON, UNHERDTV

Users who are viewing this thread