What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The OUT Due to COVID List: PLAYOFF EDITION (Save your szn thread) (1 Viewer)

Please maybe adjust first post to include close contact versus having covid. There's a giant difference and the NFL isn't differentiating so we could benefit if people shared that here

Please maybe adjust first post to include close contact versus having covid. There's a giant difference and the NFL isn't differentiating so we could benefit if people shared that here
I think the list is just who has been officially ruled out. Zach Martin has been declared out. 

Is it correct to assume Martin is not vaccinated given that he is already ruled out? Or is it because he is showing symptoms?

This year is gonna be worse than last year. 

barackdhouse said:
That Bucs team is going to crush the NFL this year.
The only concerns I have there are age and/or injury. 

Can be related or Independant factors, but as we all know, it doesn’t take more than a couple key injuries to derail a season.

Otherwise yeah - that’s a loaded team. 

Is it correct to assume Martin is not vaccinated given that he is already ruled out? Or is it because he is showing symptoms?

That was my guess, yes. And I imagine every team is using this as an example to pressure their guys to get the poke. 

He's been ruled out, no? The game is 4 days away. If he were vax'd he could easily be back in action before the Thursday night game, so, yeah, I think it's safe to assume he's not vax'd.

Interesting to note but apparently unvaccinated can still play if they are only close contact even if it's a day before the game. 

"In the event a player, Tier 1, Tier 2 or Tier 3 Individual who is not fully vaccinated is identified as a Close Contact (but not a “High Risk” Close Contact) to a symptomatic individual on the day before a game or on Game Day, and that individual remains asymptomatic, that individual shall immediately receive a Mesa Test as soon as practicable. Such individual must isolate him or herself until the results of the test are obtained and are negative. Thereafter, if this individual remains asymptomatic, he or she will be permitted to travel and/or participate on the day before a game and/or Game Day, subject to the following: i. Daily testing post-exposure on Days 1-8 and thereafter in accordance with the regular testing schedule set forth in the Screening and Testing Protocol; ii. Daily health questionnaires for COVID-19 symptoms, which shall include the questions in the attached COVID-19 Screening Form; and iii. Daily temperature checks. iv. A record of all testing and screening results shall be maintained by the Club medical staff. For players, testing records shall be entered into each player’s EMR."

reddit is a big place. Anything credible?

Counting today he could have been cleared by Wednesday if that were the case. . 

Weird
Reuters and Washington Post say he's fully vaccinated, too :shrug:

Martin reportedly is vaccinated. Under the protocols developed by the league and the NFL Players Association, a vaccinated player who tests positive is eligible to rejoin his team if he remains symptom-free and has two negative tests 24 hours apart. In the meantime, that player must be in isolation.

Martin, 30, was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list Sunday. He tested positive on Saturday after experiencing mild flu-like symptoms and taste loss, the Dallas Morning News reported.

"He's frustrated obviously," head coach Mike McCarthy said of Martin, who is fully vaccinated. "But hey, this is the world we live in right now."

I guess we find out for sure next week: if he returns to practice in week 2, before 10 days, he must have been vaccinated. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No it’s not.
I think from a games postponed or moved perspective it will be better. I do think it could be a stressful year for fantasy managers. This is a much more contagious version of what we had last year. Way less people are wearing masks. I think we are gonna see a reemergence of the flu to go along with Covid. We are once again at high levels of transmission headed into the winter months. Even vaccinated people can exhibit mild symptoms. We may have to monitor up to game time to see if our player is gonna go or not. 

I think from a games postponed or moved perspective it will be better. I do think it could be a stressful year for fantasy managers. This is a much more contagious version of what we had last year. Way less people are wearing masks. I think we are gonna see a reemergence of the flu to go along with Covid. We are once again at high levels of transmission headed into the winter months. Even vaccinated people can exhibit mild symptoms. We may have to monitor up to game time to see if our player is gonna go or not. 
Sorry but I think they’re much better prepared this year. There was a large vocal segment that banged the drum all off-season that they’d never make it through the season last year and what a disaster it was to even try to play. They were wrong of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't know that either.
So I’m not allowed to respond to some one that says the opposite?

This year most of the players are vaccinated and the teams and league are better prepared to deal with Covid. It’s illogical to think it will be worse this season - but sure of course it’s possible.

Sorry but I think they’re much better prepared this year. There was a large vocal segment that banged the drum all off-season that they’d never make it through the season last year and what a disaster it was to even try to play. They were wrong of course.
I agree they are better prepared this year. On the other hand, things are way more back to normal in society compared to last year and we are dealing with a much more contagious variant.

I should have said “I think it will be worse” this year. Obviously nobody knows for sure. 

>>So the Dolphins’ starting LT Austin Jackson and TE Adam Shaheen, who refuses to take the vaccine, are on the reserve COVID-19 list. If Jackson doesn’t return Greg Little might be starting vs the Patriots.<<

The reasons for being on the list - close contact perhaps - aren't clear.  Jackson hasn't been good at LT, so there could be improvement. Shaheen is a backup TE, so no big loss with Smythe and Hunter Long available. 

Also: >>Jamal Perry, who was released last week and re-signed to the practice squad, was activated as a COVID replacement. Super early to do that, which means Miami knows someone isn’t being cleared for Sunday.<<  Speculation that it could be Holland.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/1434876637456355336

https://mobile.twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/1434872450035208192

This is a bit concerning.

I think Mort/league execs have it wrong though. The biggest concern about players going to their alma maters over the weekend and attending events isn’t that they’ll test positive today, it’s that vaccinated players will go through the week only getting tested once but may be within the incubation period. They could have a breakthrough infection and end up spreading it to a bunch of other players and suddenly everyone is testing positive next week and a bunch of guys end up missing 1 or 2 games.

i almost feel it's fair to say that if a player, regardless of how good, costs his team a game (and their owner a TON of money), that guy may never play a snap again. 

This is a bit concerning.

I think Mort/league execs have it wrong though. The biggest concern about players going to their alma maters over the weekend and attending events isn’t that they’ll test positive today, it’s that vaccinated players will go through the week only getting tested once but may be within the incubation period. They could have a breakthrough infection and end up spreading it to a bunch of other players and suddenly everyone is testing positive next week and a bunch of guys end up missing 1 or 2 games.
Exactly.

They made their policy in a way to try to force players to get vaccinated but unfortunately being vaccinated does not diminish your ability to spread the virus any less. All players should have the same testing schedule and same enforcement policies if they're serious about this.

Exactly.

They made their policy in a way to try to force players to get vaccinated but unfortunately being vaccinated does not diminish your ability to spread the virus any less. All players should have the same testing schedule and same enforcement policies if they're serious about this.
Many players have children, or contact with family members who are under 18 and in school. Last year, mots kids did virtual. The risk of a positive COVID test is greater now with the delta variant surging in the USA.  How frequently were players tested last year, compared to this year?

League wide supposedly 93% vaxxed, last year was 0% vaxxed, so obviously not remotely comparable that way. But the whole outside world is also different.  Last season whole states were locked down, which certainly did reduce transmission rates even if it is arguable that the total costs may have outweighed the total benefits.  Also no Delta variant last season, this season the virus appears to be far more communicable, even though not more deadly.  And generally for NFL players, we care mostly about them catching it and missing a week or two, even though they are very unlikely to end up in the ICU even briefly.

But it seems like the bottom half of the roster is almost certainly 100% vaxxed - not because the teams cut players who didn't get it, but the players knew they were in danger of being cut if it came down to a coin flip between me and the other guy.  Same thing for the practice squad.  The rate for the stars seems to be closer to 80%, since no chance a guy with a massive cap hit gets cut for any reason, let alone for a hypothetical like he MIGHT get covid.  And generally our fantasy rosters are populated with the stars, so it's a bigger concern for us fantasy people than for the NFL in general.

There are 32 * 53 players on active rosters in the NFL, or 1,696.  My league has 156 individual players rostered each week (not counting team defenses).  If the players are 93% vaxxed that leaves about 119 unvaxxed players (big IF - they are saying the LEAGUE is 93%, and we know 100% of coaches, etc are vaxxed, so if they are lumping them in with the players that skews the overall numbers.  Also if practice squad is added in, that raises the "players" population by another 640 guys, again almost certainly 100% vaxxed, meaning even more active players are not vaxxed).

Here's a thought...perhaps in phase 2 of a global pandemic your commitment to your coworkers and the the organization that pays you should be a higher priority than your desire to participate in social gatherings at your alma mater.  You're not in college anymore, junior.

Many players have children, or contact with family members who are under 18 and in school. Last year, mots kids did virtual. The risk of a positive COVID test is greater now with the delta variant surging in the USA.  How frequently were players tested last year, compared to this year?

Apparently they were tested once a week. 

So I’m not allowed to respond to some one that says the opposite?

This year most of the players are vaccinated and the teams and league are better prepared to deal with Covid. It’s illogical to think it will be worse this season - but sure of course it’s possible.
Your response read as a statement and not an opinion. You are allowed any opinions you desire.

They made their policy in a way to try to force players to get vaccinated but unfortunately being vaccinated does not diminish your ability to spread the virus any less
I'm not sure that is correct. Vaccinated people can get and spread COVID, but they usually are able to spread it for less time than unvaccinated people.

I'm not sure that is correct. Vaccinated people can get and spread COVID, but they usually are able to spread it for less time than unvaccinated people.
Don't want to turn this into the political forum thread but recent studies have shown that the difference is not nearly as much as they once believed.

Trying to keep this one for just the players that are out. 

Don't want to turn this into the political forum thread but recent studies have shown that the difference is not nearly as much as they once believed.

I agree with not wanting to politicize this topic.  In the interests of sharing information, and in response to the bolded, I found an interesting article from nature.com that I link here, along with takeaways from the article.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02187-1

- delta variant behaves differently than base covid (to your point).  base covid has been shown to present limited transmission from vaccinated people.

- on the other hand, delta variant can be transmitted from vaccinated people, but studies are too limited to say anything more than "it can happen".

- using an abundance of caution, medical experts encourage the use of masks even by vaccinated to minimize transmission, although relative rates have not been quantified.

- three studies of less than 1,000 people were cited in the article leading to the above points.

- conversely, a UK study of over 100,000 people yielded the conclusion that:

The results suggested that among people testing positive, those who had been vaccinated had a lower viral load on average than did unvaccinated people. Paul Elliott, an epidemiologist at Imperial, says that these results differ from other Ct studies because this study sampled the population at random and included people who tested positive without showing symptoms.

These findings — along with an increase in cases in younger people who have not yet received both jabs — underscore the effectiveness of double vaccination against Delta, Elliott says. “We think it’s really, really important to get as many people double vaccinated, and particularly those younger groups, as soon as possible.”

Ultimately, my only point here is that best available information indicates that there IS a difference in transmission rates.  I understand that that leaves a lot of grey area in how the rights of individuals and organizations are balanced.

I agree with not wanting to politicize this topic.  In the interests of sharing information, and in response to the bolded, I found an interesting article from nature.com that I link here, along with takeaways from the article.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02187-1

- delta variant behaves differently than base covid (to your point).  base covid has been shown to present limited transmission from vaccinated people.

- on the other hand, delta variant can be transmitted from vaccinated people, but studies are too limited to say anything more than "it can happen".

- using an abundance of caution, medical experts encourage the use of masks even by vaccinated to minimize transmission, although relative rates have not been quantified.

- three studies of less than 1,000 people were cited in the article leading to the above points.

- conversely, a UK study of over 100,000 people yielded the conclusion that:

The results suggested that among people testing positive, those who had been vaccinated had a lower viral load on average than did unvaccinated people. Paul Elliott, an epidemiologist at Imperial, says that these results differ from other Ct studies because this study sampled the population at random and included people who tested positive without showing symptoms.

These findings — along with an increase in cases in younger people who have not yet received both jabs — underscore the effectiveness of double vaccination against Delta, Elliott says. “We think it’s really, really important to get as many people double vaccinated, and particularly those younger groups, as soon as possible.”

Ultimately, my only point here is that best available information indicates that there IS a difference in transmission rates.  I understand that that leaves a lot of grey area in how the rights of individuals and organizations are balanced.
Hospitalization rate is dramatically higher for non vaxxed as well. Very few vaccinated people are requiring hospital care compared to non vaxxed.

This is a silly argument. If vaccinated folks are significantly less likely (at least 80% per the data) to catch it IN THE FIRST PLACE, then even if (once sick) they spread it at a similar rate (which they don't, though the difference is likely relatively small), they're still going to, on the whole, SPREAD IT FAR FAR LESS THEN UNVACCINATED INDIVIDUALS.

And since they catch it far less readily, it naturally follows that fewer precautions are warrented when they have incidental exposures

Users who are viewing this thread