What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will You Be Acting As League Commissioner In A League This Year? (1 Viewer)

Will You Be Acting As League Commissioner In A League This Year?

• Yes - And I love it

Votes: 31 27.7%
  • Yes - And I'm ok with it

Votes: 57 50.9%
  • Yes - Begrudgingly

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • No - But I wouldn't mind being the Commissioner

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • No - I wouldn't want to be the Commissioner

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • No - I strongly wouldn't want to be the Commissioner

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
Will You Be Acting As League Commissioner In A League This Year?

Yes, I am commissioner of 2 leagues, both 7-10 years and going strong. I'm also just a "mere player" in a few others.

However, its set up where I make a bit of $$$ for doing it, the guys don't mind and my guys virtually NEVER leave my leagues. Very little turnover, and everyone likes the way I handle things, and I have ruled "against myself" in the past. (Long story)

All my players are very "adult" and there are rarely any issues.   A little whining now and then, but that comes with the territory in most any league I think.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
Commish in 2 leagues. One for 20+ years and the other I took over for the old commish about 2 years ago. In 3 other leagues (fpc, ffpc, and another home league)

The job is just fine if you have the right group of players who understand this isn’t my day job and stuff will come up that we didn’t prepare for (ie COVID) and that I am more interested in running a fair league than winning the league. 

sometimes you get an owner who wants to litigate everything or wants to see something nefarious in any commish ruling. Those years are not very fun and running a draft room while running your own draft can sometimes lead to mistakes, but, truth be told, watching someone else commish when I know I can do a better job is more maddening than just doing it myself. 

Commish in a dynasty league now going on year 20.  Still have 6 of the original 12, and 4 others have been with this league over 10 years.  Just a couple of owner changes, last time 3 years ago.  Solid group of owners, have a lot of fun.  Love it.

Co-commish in 3 others just as a 2nd hand person to help when necessary, involved in 12 leagues overall.

Yes - Begrudgingly

I have been the commissioner for my work league for 10+ years.  Not a whole lot of drama, just am not as interested.  I would prefer to play and not be commissioner which I will probable tell the league during the off season.

The one thing I have never enjoyed is the financial side.  Collecting entry fees, reminding people, sending out the winnings.  Always felt like work to me, which I play fantasy football to get away from.

28 years running leagues for me. It’s a labor of love. There are times that I swear “this is my last year” but I always end up doing it. Granted, it’s much easier now than it was in 1995 when my buddy and I would have to go to the store to buy USA Today for the box scores and punch them all into Excel to do standings. We did this weekly for baseball too if you can believe it. Would take hours, but we had fun. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Commish in 2 leagues. One for 20+ years and the other I took over for the old commish about 2 years ago. In 3 other leagues (fpc, ffpc, and another home league)

The job is just fine if you have the right group of players who understand this isn’t my day job and stuff will come up that we didn’t prepare for (ie COVID) and that I am more interested in running a fair league than winning the league. 

sometimes you get an owner who wants to litigate everything or wants to see something nefarious in any commish ruling. Those years are not very fun and running a draft room while running your own draft can sometimes lead to mistakes, but, truth be told, watching someone else commish when I know I can do a better job is more maddening than just doing it myself. 
I agree with all of this. I know the job is done right if I do it myself. 

Have been for decades. It meets all the criteria for project management, my former career. Scheduling, negotiating, budgeting, developing processes, engineering for efficiency year over year. 

And it ensures that my enjoyment of the game isn’t sullied by the bad decisions of someone else. 

So I’ll keep doing it, and at times I do love it. 

When I worked at a desk and had more free time, I had no problem being commissioner. Now I simply don't have the time anymore. 

4 leagues (3 football and 1 baseball).  All long running leagues.

Fantasy Legends I

Fantasy Legends II

Ultimate Football Dynasty League (also a devy)

The Dirty Dozen (baseball) - was commish., now asst. commish.

Commish for about 8 years & love it. But the folks in my long time redraft make it easy. I’m pretty hands off bc we have great people.
This is where I'm at now, but there was a time about 15 years ago when we had a couple of PITA league members. They never seemed to get it. If someone in their division made a trade that wasn't perfectly balanced they'd accuse folks of collusion, or they'd claim a rule that had been in place for years before they joined the league somehow didn't apply to them. End of the year when they were eliminated they'd stop setting lineups, and take my request to do so as some kind of hostility. 

We long since cleaned house of those two & it's been pure harmony since. Now it's competitive people who don't get hurt feels over trash talk, almost every matchup every week has a side bet (I've got an executive 9 bet this week, including beers & travel to the other's home course), and for the last 12 years or so, the winner of the league brings a bottle of super premium bourbon to the draft every year to toast their victory. 

The best part about that last part? No one asked anyone to do this - it just sort of evolved organically. Now every year it's a game of one-upmanship, with each new league winner using part of their winnings to find a more rare/interesting/delicious bottle every year. My last LCG win I brought the single batch Booker's, back when they hand-numbered the proof. I searched 10 stores to find the highest proof I could (128). It's a cool tradition, because everyone sort of gets to enjoy a little of the winnings. It's a sizable kitty, so it's not like it creates a hardship on the winner. And hey, if a winner didn't want to do it, that's cool too - this isn't a rule, just a fun thing we do. 

I love my league.  

Commished for 20 seasons, and asked my dynasty league for a volunteer to take over to keep the league going, as I wanted to step away from FF.  They did, and the league has kept rolling, this is the 25th season. 

Last summer they had an opening and on a whim asked if I had any interest in coming back.  The idea of trying to rebuild a 2nd to last place team intrigued me, so I said yes, but as a team owner only.  Don't think I'd go back to commishing again, unless it was the only way to keep the league going.  

Commish since we used to score games by looking at the stats in USA today. Mostly people I've known for decades so it's a fun league with lots of banter. The one thing I didn't enjoy was hounding people to pay the dues so I handed that responsibility to someone else. Now it's great.

Co-commish in another league but not nearly as active. 

I commish 5 leagues, 1 of those I have a co-commish just in case. I am co-commish in 2 other leagues. 3 of those are 14 year or longer leagues. 2 of them are keeper leagues. Trying to get another league started up right now too. I am in no leagues that I am "just a player" for the first time probably ever.

Every year the hardest part, for the leagues that don't have a set draft day, is agreeing on a draft day. Especially the guillotine league with 18 teams.

For the most part they all go pretty smooth. The worst annoyance are people that can't or won't look up the rules or information themselves. In almost every case it would take them less time to look it up. All-time worst thing that happened was a close friend running himself out of my longest running league I commish by telling me I was misinterpreting a rule that I wrote and had enforced a few times over the years exactly the same way I did in the incident he was upset about. None of the leagues I commished have ever ended, and rarely has there been turnover due to issues with me or the league. One league seems to have random issues during the draft every year, but that hasn't been the case the last 2 years (knock on wood since that draft is on Wednesday).

I am Commissioner in a dynasty league that has been active for over 30 years now.  In the old days, that entailed manually scoring each game from newspaper box scores, checking my answering machine when I got home from Church on Sundays for lineups (I had one league member who would leave a message at kickoff of the early games just to "time stamp" the lineup deadline), type up weekly results for everyone, manually handle free agent bids (we bid real money in the early days), etc . . .   

Nowadays, there is not much to being Commissioner, in comparison.  I don't mind it.  The most effort I have to go to is during our off-season free agency, which is unique but interesting.  In season, the league website manages most everything.

This is where I'm at now, but there was a time about 15 years ago when we had a couple of PITA league members. They never seemed to get it. If someone in their division made a trade that wasn't perfectly balanced they'd accuse folks of collusion, or they'd claim a rule that had been in place for years before they joined the league somehow didn't apply to them. End of the year when they were eliminated they'd stop setting lineups, and take my request to do so as some kind of hostility. 

We long since cleaned house of those two & it's been pure harmony since. Now it's competitive people who don't get hurt feels over trash talk, almost every matchup every week has a side bet (I've got an executive 9 bet this week, including beers & travel to the other's home course), and for the last 12 years or so, the winner of the league brings a bottle of super premium bourbon to the draft every year to toast their victory. 

The best part about that last part? No one asked anyone to do this - it just sort of evolved organically. Now every year it's a game of one-upmanship, with each new league winner using part of their winnings to find a more rare/interesting/delicious bottle every year. My last LCG win I brought the single batch Booker's, back when they hand-numbered the proof. I searched 10 stores to find the highest proof I could (128). It's a cool tradition, because everyone sort of gets to enjoy a little of the winnings. It's a sizable kitty, so it's not like it creates a hardship on the winner. And hey, if a winner didn't want to do it, that's cool too - this isn't a rule, just a fun thing we do. 

I love my league.  

lmk when someone drops out..  LOL.

I still commish the very first league I ever played in.  Have joined a few more over the years (one of which I really wish I was the commish because the one we have is basically a mute, but never mind).  Get a good group of leaguemates and the job is easy...

I am the commish for the Yahoo! Play or Die Fantasy Football League, entering it's 8th year. We've survived all kinds of drama but I enjoy running and  participating in a league with settings I like (16 team standard because PPR IS THE DEVIL!!!, redraft, double Flex, short bench) plus I pay out higher than most similar league so the slog is worth it. Of course being a league that uses PayPal means I have people think I'm trying to scam them when it's the other way around, but I get by.

Users who are viewing this thread