What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's talk about mind over matter and the power of positive thinking (1 Viewer)

CrossEyed2

Footballguy
So I've been reading a number of books by people like Joseph Murphy, Michael Singer, Joe Dispenza, and others. I find this topic fascinating.

As you may know, I have a history in religion, specifically as a Christian pastor. Almost all faith communities teach some type of prayer practice. And almost all faith communities can point to healings and "miracles" that are credited to faith and prayer.

But what if the "miracles" and healing are due to the genuine belief of the person being healed or receiving the "miracle" and have absolutely nothing to do with the object of that faith? We've all heard about the placebo effect. Some people can take a completely inert substance, but if they believe that is a healing substance it relieves whatever ailment that they are dealing with.

Have any of you read anything by any of these authors or other authors on this topic? Is there more to mind over matter than most of us have been led to believe? Are some people successful primarily because they are fully convinced that they will be successful? Is there truly power in positive thinking?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

What makes you think that human psychology and the subconscious mind are unscientific?
That’s a fine point and I agree that this can be scientific.  You seem to be focused on medical conditions from the OP. I guess my point is regardless of maintaining a positive attitude, it is important to follow the advice of medical professionals. Make sure to make the power of positive thinking an AND, not an OR.

Subjective, "How do you feel" aspects of health?  Lots of power.

Objective, "Can you fix actual physical problems" aspects?  Not so much.

Subjective, "How do you feel" aspects of health?  Lots of power.

Objective, "Can you fix actual physical problems" aspects?  Not so much.
This is demonstrably false. There are myriads of documented cases of people being healed with no medical explanation whatsoever.

Even if your second sentence is true (and I am in no way conceding that), it doesn't at all lead to my post being false.

Even if your second sentence is true (and I am in no way conceding that), it doesn't at all lead to my post being false.
If you won't concede to the second sentence as being true, it just means that you haven't investigated the subject much, if at all.

Autogenic Training

From the Back Cover

Autogenic training is one of the most powerful techniques ever developed for reducing stress, promoting relaxation and awakening the innate healing power we all possess, and with this practical, comprehensive book you can learn for the first time how to practise it yourself. Simple step-by-step instructions explain how to perform a series of easy mental exercises which will help you to achieve deep relaxation in mind and body and make your subconscious receptive to the healing effects of the therapy. You will learn how to improve your health and well-being to a dramatic degree, strengthen your immune response to combat illness, increase your energy levels, release your latent creativity, deal with unresolved emotions, cure yourself of phobias and anxieties, and improve your ability to concentrate. Dr. Kermani, a pioneer in the field of autogenics, also includes advice on how to combine autogenic training with diet, exercise and other therapies for a complete holistic health programme. He describes a wide range of situations in which autogenic training can help you, anywhere at any time. With this wonderful and effective therapy you will be able to call on its beneficial effects whenever you most need them.

I already knew that I had only a fifty-fifty chance of surviving the surgery. ... Then, at an especially bleak moment, the door flew open and in hurried a squat fellow with a blue scrub hat and a yellow surgical gown and glasses, speaking in a Russian accent." The man announced that he was a proctologist and was going to perform a rectal exam on Reeve. It was Robin Williams, reprising his character from the film Nine Months. Reeve wrote: "For the first time since the accident, I laughed. My old friend had helped me know that somehow I was going to be okay."[83]

😢

Users who are viewing this thread