What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Unofficial Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, MD thread. (1 Viewer)

@Max Power or anyone else - is there an article that shows the difference in what was said previous and the new report?  I’m having trouble understanding the new information from the old.  I thought several of the things in the article today on Intercept we already knew (or maybe it was speculated?).
It was more some back and forth between Rand Paul and Fauci during testimonies.  There were a couple. 

Senator Rand Paul:

Dr. Fauci, knowing that it is a crime to lie to Congress, do you wish to retract your statement of May 11th, where you claimed that the NIH never funded Gain-of-function research Wuhan?

Dr. Anthony Fauci:

Senator Paul, I have never lied before the Congress and I do not retract that statement. This paper that you were referring to was judged by qualified staff up and down the chain as not being Gain-of-function. Senator Paul, you do not know what you are talking about, quite frankly, and I want to say that officially, you do not know what you are talking about. It's a dance and you're dancing around this because you're trying to obscure responsibility for 4 million people dying around the world from a pandemic. I totally resent the lie that you are now propagating, Senator, because if you look at the viruses that were used in the experiments that were given in the annual reports that were published in the literature, it is molecularly impossible.

Senator Rand Paul:

No one's saying those viruses [crosstalk 00:02:59] caused it.

Dr. Anthony Fauci:

It is molecularly...

Senator Rand Paul:

No one is alleging that those virus caused the pandemic. What we're alleging is, the Gain-of-function research was going on in that lab and NIH funded it.

Dr. Anthony Fauci:

That is not...

Senator Rand Paul:

[inaudible 00:03:09] away from it. It meets your definition and you are [inaudible 00:03:12] the truth.

Dr. Anthony Fauci:

And you are implying that what we did was responsible for the deaths of individual. I totally resent that.

Senator Rand Paul:

And it could have been. It could have been.

Dr. Anthony Fauci:

If anybody is lying here, Senator, it is you,

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2021/07/21/dr-fauci-fires-back-senator-rand-paul-covid-accusations-fly/8039442002/

Bunch of football fans slagging a guy that is in the top of his field with decades of education and research

If that doesn't sum up the internet, I don't know what does
To be completely honest, if you had told me in 2018 that the US was funding GOF research in collaboration with our Chinese counterparts, I would have supported that.  I get that a person like Fauci has forgotten more about GOF research than I'll ever know, but IMO it would Monday morning quarterbacking to slay the guy over that decision.

I just don't like to be lied to is all.

Dr. Anthony Fauci:

Senator Paul, I have never lied before the Congress and I do not retract that statement. This paper that you were referring to was judged by qualified staff up and down the chain as not being Gain-of-function. Senator Paul, you do not know what you are talking about, quite frankly, and I want to say that officially, you do not know what you are talking about. It's a dance and you're dancing around this because you're trying to obscure responsibility for 4 million people dying around the world from a pandemic. I totally resent the lie that you are now propagating, Senator, because if you look at the viruses that were used in the experiments that were given in the annual reports that were published in the literature, it is molecularly impossible.

Senator Rand Paul:

No one's saying those viruses [crosstalk 00:02:59] caused it.

Dr. Anthony Fauci:

It is molecularly...

Senator Rand Paul:

No one is alleging that those virus caused the pandemic. What we're alleging is, the Gain-of-function research was going on in that lab and NIH funded it.

Dr. Anthony Fauci:

That is not...

Senator Rand Paul:

[inaudible 00:03:09] away from it. It meets your definition and you are [inaudible 00:03:12] the truth.

Dr. Anthony Fauci:

And you are implying that what we did was responsible for the deaths of individual. I totally resent that.

Senator Rand Paul:

And it could have been. It could have been.

Dr. Anthony Fauci:

If anybody is lying here, Senator, it is you,
As they say, when you have the law on your side, pound the law.  When you have the facts on your side, pound the facts.  When you have neither, pound the table.

This is Fauci pounding the table.

To be completely honest, if you had told me in 2018 that the US was funding GOF research in collaboration with our Chinese counterparts, I would have supported that.  I get that a person like Fauci has forgotten more about GOF research than I'll ever know, but IMO it would Monday morning quarterbacking to slay the guy over that decision.

I just don't like to be lied to is all.
Honestly, I would still support it - if the experts agreed it was worthwhile and safe enough and the proper precautions were made.  And I agree with most everything you said - I think one of  problems here is one many of us have as humans - accountability and transparency.  

No thoughts really either way on this guy.  You'd be a fool to listen to one voice with this thing...So he is just one of many many.

Honestly, I would still support it - if the experts agreed it was worthwhile and safe enough and the proper precautions were made.  And I agree with most everything you said - I think one of  problems here is one many of us have as humans - accountability and transparency.  

There are a million and one super dangerous things being studied across the globe right now that would blow our minds.  But people train and educate themselves to advance these fields and we are all the better for it

* I put a little asterisk by "lying" because technically it depends on exactly what you mean by "gain of function" research.  People like Fauci like to get extremely pedantic over that sort of thing, and he would probably argue that his statements to congress were technically accurate under some non-standard-English reading of the transcript.  But he knew that he was being dishonest at the time, so I think "lying" is the correct term.

It depends on what the definition of "is" is.

Fauci said there was no gain of function research at the Wuhan Institute of Virology.
It was at the Wuhan University Center for Animal Experiment.

See...no lie!
Is this what he’s banking on or the definition of gain of function?  I thought all along it was him saying “this isn’t gain of function” in his view but others disagree.

Also, am I the only one that thinks the phrase “gain of function” seems really weird?

Is this what he’s banking on or the definition of gain of function?  I thought all along it was him saying “this isn’t gain of function” in his view but others disagree.

Also, am I the only one that thinks the phrase “gain of function” seems really weird?

When i read the new information i didn't see any experiments which i thought were gain of function in origin.  

I admit I’m not knowledgeable enough to know how valid this debate is and whether it should matter.
It's honestly a very complicated topic.  There is a reason that people study a long time to get into immunology and infectious diseases

But we know that's not what this is all about...

Fauci being vilified more than Ron Desantis on covid is what is wrong with America in a nutshell. 

It's unbelievable.  Who would have thought we would end up in a place where joe ditch digger is a backseat infectious disease expert?

Fauci being vilified more than Ron Desantis on covid is what is wrong with America in a nutshell. 

It's unbelievable.  Who would have thought we would end up in a place where joe ditch digger is a backseat infectious disease expert?
I certainly don’t claim to be an expert but that doesn’t alleviate Fauci from being criticized. If being and infectious disease expert were the bar then the only people who could ever criticize the POTUS are 45 other men, most of which are dead.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The information in the intercept article and then followed that along a little bit on the internet
You dont think the molecular biologist who stated “The viruses they constructed were tested for their ability to infect mice that were engineered to display human type receptors on their cell,” falls under gain of function?

You dont think the molecular biologist who stated “The viruses they constructed were tested for their ability to infect mice that were engineered to display human type receptors on their cell,” falls under gain of function?

Sounds more like genetics to me than gain of function but it's not very detailed anywhere i can find it

I certainly don’t claim to be an expert but that doesn’t alleviate Fauci from being criticized. If being and infectious disease expert were the bar then the only people who could ever criticize the POTUS are 45 other men, most of which are dead.  

Arguing about this is nothing but partisan.  6 months ago most of the people complaining couldn't spell gain of function research.  

From what I have read it doesn't appear he lied - yet.  So what are you criticizing him for?

Partnerships with the chinese are common across the board in medical research.  

Arguing about this is nothing but partisan.  6 months ago most of the people complaining couldn't spell gain of function research.  

From what I have read it doesn't appear he lied - yet.  So what are you criticizing him for?

Partnerships with the chinese are common across the board in medical research.  
If it’s partisan please tell me where I am on that scale?

I’m criticizing him for paying the word games when he damn well knows the intent of the questions he was asked. This isn’t about GoF for me and others, it’s about honesty. 

He’s also part of the coverup at Wuhan. Anyone with 2 marbles rolling around in their head knows where this came from. He, as the face of this pandemic, owes the world the truth.  Now I’m not saying he’s to blame for the leak per say but he a part of the coverup and for credibility sake he can’t be.  Stand up tell the world the truth and maintain the credibility he worked his whole life for.  As was posted upstream, how can he be trusted now?   

I’m not willing to go that far without more information - and we may never get it.  If there’s truly an argument here about gain of function then normally I would say let’s have the smart guys sit in a room and figure it out. But what I’ve read sounds like they did that and it’s still murky.  Where I would agree is that Fauci should have laid all of that out there for consumption.
It just released

If it’s partisan please tell me where I am on that scale?

I’m criticizing him for paying the word games when he damn well knows the intent of the questions he was asked. This isn’t about GoF for me and others, it’s about honesty. 

He’s also part of the coverup at Wuhan. Anyone with 2 marbles rolling around in their head knows where this came from. He, as the face of this pandemic, owes the world the truth.  Now I’m not saying he’s to blame for the leak per say but he a part of the coverup and for credibility sake he can’t be.  Stand up tell the world the truth and maintain the credibility he worked his whole life for.  As was posted upstream, how can he be trusted now?   

I'm not sure about you honestly.  I don't pay attention much to most people tendencies

That being said you are making a pretty massive jump there.  It could be for sure, nobody is arguing otherwise, but animal to human transmission is honestly just as viable.  I don't want to argue which is more because we don't know and we will never know because of China.  

I just don't like smearing a guy because of what's on the internet.  Yes A+B=C but A+B=D could also be true at this point.  

If he is exposed than yes put the gears to him.  Other than most right wing stuff I'm not seeing a lot that says he has anything to do with this

Sounds more like genetics to me than gain of function but it's not very detailed anywhere i can find it
Yea well you aren't  a geneticist or a biological researcher or a bat woman.    So nobody cares what you feel something sounds like.

I'm not sure about you honestly.  I don't pay attention much to most people tendencies

That being said you are making a pretty massive jump there.  It could be for sure, nobody is arguing otherwise, but animal to human transmission is honestly just as viable.  I don't want to argue which is more because we don't know and we will never know because of China.  

I just don't like smearing a guy because of what's on the internet.  Yes A+B=C but A+B=D could also be true at this point.  

If he is exposed than yes put the gears to him.  Other than most right wing stuff I'm not seeing a lot that says he has anything to do with this
I couldn’t disagree with your second and third paragraphs more.  Just because both are technically possible does not make them equal.  If A+B=C has a probability of 99% and A+B= D has one of well less then 1% then equating them is problematic to say the least. The animal to human transmission in this case is so improbable it not worthy of honesty discussion because of what is overwhelmingly obvious.  A level 4 lab in the outbreak town that specializes in these exact types of virus’s with a history of safety violations.  Come on.  

We’re overlooking the dude covered in blood with the murder weapon in his hands and a history of violence toward the murder victim while hypothesizing that it could be the little old grandma who lives 2 towns over with no connection to the victim.  I’m mean it could be her….. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn’t disagree with your second and third paragraphs more.  Just because both are technically possible does not make them equal.  If A+B=C has a probability of 99% and A+B= D has one of well less the 1% then equating them is problematic to say the least. The animal to human transmission in this case is so improbable it not worthy of honesty discussion because of what is overwhelmingly obvious.  A level 4 lab in the outbreak town that specializes in these exact types of virus’s with a history of safety violations.  Come on.  

We’re overlooking the dude covered in blood with the murder weapon in his hands and a history of violence toward the murder victim while hypothesizing that it could be the little old grandma who lives 2 towns over with no connection to the victim.  I’m mean it could be her….. 🤷🏻‍♂️
When I found out this was factual way back was when I stopped believing Tom Cotton was just blowing hot air on it.  The odds of that are just astronomical.  I've made a living off playing the odds, it's more likely you die by being hit by a plane falling from the sky within the next week at this point.  You aren't on the plane, but just somehow it finds you.  It takes some real gymnastics and blinders to get there, like I'm gonna win the Powerball this week type belief.

When I found out this was factual way back was when I stopped believing Tom Cotton was just blowing hot air on it.  The odds of that are just astronomical.  I've made a living off playing the odds, it's more likely you die by being hit by a plane falling from the sky within the next week at this point.  You aren't on the plane, but just somehow it finds you.  It takes some real gymnastics and blinders to get there, like I'm gonna win the Powerball this week type belief.
No doubt, when you then stack the odds on top of it of the probability of the animal transmission theory (which when dissected has its own astronomical odds in this case, and oh absolutely zero evidence of) it’s like your plane scenario above happening while also simultaneously being struck by lightning and bitten by a great white shark.  But hey it COULD happen.  

Lmao.  Good grief. 
Remember the double mask!   :lmao:

This Guy said this:

“There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences — people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.”
Guy changes his mind more than the weather.  

Fauci is a bureaucrat. Eighty year old grand pop isn’t in the trenches and certainly doesn’t deserve the veneration  media has been pushing 

Fauci is a bureaucrat. Eighty year old grand pop isn’t in the trenches and certainly doesn’t deserve the veneration  media has been pushing 
I’m on Bactrim because I split my finger open on Friday and decided poorly against getting stitches. At least I’m covered on AIDS too, according to Fauci

Career government desk surfer.  There are no experts in government.  He's the Joe Biden of epidemiology.  
Sucking at the government teat since 1968. I understand he used to be very good at his job but at some point you age out

at a time when 99.9% of the country had no clue who he was to then insert himself in the national debate about a global pandemic.  Talk about stealing the spotlight.
I understand you mean this sarcastically, but it's actually pretty accurate.

Dude's had an amazing life but it seems like he got a little intoxicated with all the attention and now his credibility is in the garbage.

I understand you mean this sarcastically, but it's actually pretty accurate.

Dude's had an amazing life but it seems like he got a little intoxicated with all the attention and now his credibility is in the garbage.
While I do think he’s made some mistakes, I’m sure he’s not too concerned what NorvilleBarnes from the Internet thinks of his credibility. 

You really have to admire his ability to slow play things though.  I mean, he really snowed all of us by waiting until he was 78 years old and at a time when 99.9% of the country had no clue who he was to then insert himself in the national debate about a global pandemic.  Talk about stealing the spotlight.  Thankfully a bunch of hacks on the internet who have no clue what they are talking about can put this guy in his place -  well done guys!

Awards and honors

• 1979: Arthur S. Flemming Award[102]
  • 1993: Honorary Doctor of Science, Bates College[103]
  • 1995: Ernst Jung Prize (shared with Samuel A. Wells, Jr.)[104]
  • 1995: Honorary Doctor of Science, Duke University[105]
  • 1996: Honorary Doctor of Science, Colgate University[106]
  • 1999: Honorary Doctor of Public Service, Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania[107]
  • 2002: Albany Medical Center Prize[108]
  • 2003: American Academy of Achievement's Golden Plate Award[109]
  • 2005: National Medal of Science[110]
  • 2005: American Association of Immunologists Lifetime Achievement Award[111]
  • 2007: Mary Woodard Lasker Public Service Award[112]
  • 2007: George M. Kober Medal, Association of American Physicians[6]
  • 2008: Presidential Medal of Freedom[109]
  • 2013: UCSF medal[113]
  • 2013: Robert Koch Gold Medal[114]
  • 2013: Prince Mahidol Award[115]
  • 2015: Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters, Johns Hopkins University[116][117]
  • 2015: Honorary Doctor of Public Service, The George Washington University[118][119]
  • 2016: John Dirks Canada Gairdner Global Health Award[120]
  • 2018: Honorary Doctor of Science, commencement speaker, American University[121]
  • 2018: Honorary Doctor of Science, Boston University[122]
  • 2020: Federal Employee of the Year[123]
  • 2020: Presidential Citation for Exemplary Leadership, National Academy of Medicine[124]
  • 2020: Ripple of Hope Award from the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights[125]
  • 2020: TIME Magazine's Guardian of the Year, along with the frontline health workers, Assa Traoré, Porche Bennett-Bey, and racial justice organizers.[126]
  • 2020: Harris Dean's Award[127]
  • 2020: Knight of the Grand Cross - Order of Merit of the Italian Republic[128]
  • 2021: Public Welfare Medal of the National Academy of Sciences[129]
  • 2021: Dan David Prize[130]
  • 2021: President's Medal of The George Washington University[131][132]
You know who else has a lot of awards and recognition on their "I love me" walls?  All those generals who absolutely botched the Afghanistan withdrawal and got soldiers killed. 

In short, like stocks, past performance is no indicator of future results. You know why over half of those awards are "honorary"?  Because he's a doctor in name who hasn't practiced since , literally, like 1968. He was in charge if the push to cure Aids in the 80's.   As Judge Smalls says, "well...we're waiting."  

Just saying, there's at least two sides to how we could paint him but for my money, we are a year and a half into this and while he's taken many sides and waffled on issues, etc, I haven't seen him strongly spearhead any aspect of the pandemic that has made a measurable positive result. 

From your link "It’s unclear who mocked up the fake cover and why, and it’s also not known if Trump himself was ever aware of the fake cover."

When in doubt, walk it back to Trump, eh?

The depths of your pettiness knows no bottom. 
Lol.  It was hanging in 4 of his clubs.  

The depths of your defense of the indefensible knows no bottom.  

Users who are viewing this thread