What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clinton Portis, others please guilty to defrauding league healthcare program (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
So this happened: 

https://sports.yahoo.com/clinton-portis-other-ex-nfl-players-plead-guilty-fraud-healthcare-program-234943140.html

“Former Denver Broncos and Washington Football Team star Clinton Portis is among the latest batch of former NFL players who have pleaded guilty to defrauding a league healthcare program, according to the Associated Press.

Portis, Tamarick Vanover and Robert McCune all reportedly admitted to defrauding the Gene Upshaw NFL Player Health Reimbursement Account Plan, a program set up to reimburse up to $350,000 in medical expenses for retired players and their families.”

😳

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely not Sheriff Gonna Getcha!!!  :lol:
God I loved rostering Portis back in the day. My friend called me and said “dude, be sure to catch sports center tonight.”

I turn on ESPN & it’s Portis with a wig & a crazy costume during a post game presser. I forget which persona it was, but he put up a 40 burger that day so he can wear whatever he wants. 

How the mighty have fallen. 

You have to brilliant to assume you wouldn’t get caught.

According to the indictments, the former players submitted phony claims for expensive equipment, including hyperbaric oxygen chambers, ultrasound machines designed for a doctor's office to conduct women's health exams, and electromagnetic therapy devices for horses.

The claims were for about $40,000 to $50,000 each, prosecutors said. They relied on fabricated invoices, prescriptions and letters of medical necessity, prosecutors said.

According to the indictments, the former players submitted phony claims for expensive equipment, including hyperbaric oxygen chambers, ultrasound machines designed for a doctor's office to conduct women's health exams, and electromagnetic therapy devices for horses.

The claims were for about $40,000 to $50,000 each, prosecutors said. They relied on fabricated invoices, prescriptions and letters of medical necessity, prosecutors said.

Pretty sure Tony Soprano has a similar scam in season 1. Remember the HMO guy Tony ran down with Moltisanti’s Lexus in the Pilot episode? They got the degenerate gambler to order a bunch of fake MRIs they billed through shell companies to payoff his debts.

Huge resurgence in The Sopranos popularity last year at the beginning of lockdown, probably where Coach Janky Spanky got the idea.

It seems like they should be doing a few years, at least.

This was a pretty elaborate scheme and for a multimillionaire like Portis to cheat bottom roster guys out of healthcare money is really low.

#### these guys…
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Portis filed for bankruptcy in 2015 and owes 200k in back child support. I highly doubt he’s a multimillionaire.

I'm sure the top guy will do 20+ years, the others a few.  Can't get any scummier than ripping off your fellow retirees, most of who are as desperate as you are.  And probably in worse health.  And very, very few former players are multimillionaires (or even $1M).

portis is a turd.

this now, and the last thing i had heard of him was that he was waiting outside someones work so he could murder them.  

It seems like they should be doing a few years, at least.

This was a pretty elaborate scheme and for a multimillionaire like Portis to cheat bottom roster guys out of healthcare money is really low.

#### these guys…
Elaborate scheme? They turned in some badly photoshopped invoices and assumed nobody would question them because nobody ever did when they were players coming up. 

I’m not excusing what they’ve done but miss me with the hyperbolic outrage over taking money from former players. They were stealing from the insurance companies. 

They were stealing from the insurance companies. 

I mean, that’s also bad. 

when insurance companies lose millions, everyone’s rates go up. Plus quality of care drops. 

Regardless of who was directly or indirectly effected, this was a pretty brazen fraud scheme. 

You forgot Houston oilers if you're going to add Baltimore Colts
Am I showing my age if I add St. Louis Cardinals? 

This is just blatant fraud.  I will be curious to see what sentences they receive.  I hope it is much more than just a slap on the wrist.

I mean, that’s also bad. 

when insurance companies lose millions, everyone’s rates go up. Plus quality of care drops. 

Regardless of who was directly or indirectly effected, this was a pretty brazen fraud scheme. 
100% wrong and I hope they get a stiff penalty. I’m just calling out the hyperbolic nonsense as if there’s an old NFL vet who isn’t getting treatment today because Southeast Jerome fleeced the insurance company for fake CPAP machines. 

ETA - i’m sure there is a vet that isn’t getting treatment today because the NFL is chintzy but that’s a totally different topic.

Oh come on that is total BS. Portis isn't a thug (despite being from the U  ;) )

In a story published by Sports Illustrated, Portis recounted a night four years ago in which he sat in a car outside a building, holding a gun and awaiting one of the managers he felt had ruined him financially.

In a story published by Sports Illustrated, Portis recounted a night four years ago in which he sat in a car outside a building, holding a gun and awaiting one of the managers he felt had ruined him financially.
Your link seems to be pointed at this very topic. That’s….not helping to prove your claim. lol

Users who are viewing this thread