What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U2 - Community rankings - FIN - #4 Sunday Bloody Sunday, #3 - One, #2 - Bad, #1 - Where the Streets Have No Name -Spotify links, thanks to Krista4 (1 Viewer)

No rules really. I finalise the list of songs and rank them from worst to first. Generally they will only be ranked on the studio version, but exceptions will be made like for Bad. If someone tells me eg Discoteque sounds much better in concert when I saw them in Dortmund in 1993, well thats just enjoyable commentary. If they say eg the live version of Out of Control on the b side to Lemon is much better than on Boy. I may reconsider. 
People are certainly allowed to say wrong things like the bolded, but it doesn't mean you would have to validate those types of comments.  ;)

Really looking forward to this.  I'm trying to convince Mrs APK to put together, at a minimum, her top-50 list.  If I put one together, it will probably annoy her enough that she'll correct mine and make her own.

No rules really. I finalise the list of songs and rank them from worst to first. Generally they will only be ranked on the studio version, but exceptions will be made like for Bad. If someone tells me eg Discoteque sounds much better in concert when I saw them in Dortmund in 1993, well thats just enjoyable commentary. If they say eg the live version of Out of Control on the b side to Lemon is much better than on Boy. I may reconsider. 

My absolute favorite version of Sunday Bloody Sunday - Live at Sarajevo

If it was me - I would include live versions that were officially released...

I have a total of 580 U2 songs on my Apple Music - yes I'm old, and still use Apple Music.  I had most early albums already, and then added the "Complete U2" whenever that was released.  Obviously many are duplicates/re-mixes/live versions.  So, there are plenty to work with.  But, if it was released with the Complete U2, I think its fair game.

If it was me - I would include live versions that were officially released...

I have a total of 580 U2 songs on my Apple Music - yes I'm old, and still use Apple Music.  I had most early albums already, and then added the "Complete U2" whenever that was released.  Obviously many are duplicates/re-mixes/live versions.  So, there are plenty to work with.  But, if it was released with the Complete U2, I think its fair game.
580??? #### that. Trying to rank the 85 remixes of Lemon, I would prefer waterboarding. 

I am going to exclude the songs on Deluxe versions. U2 were pretty good about putting stuff that didn’t fit onto B Sides or on 12” singles. The Deluxe only stuff would take up a lot of the bottom half and I need to make the list a manageable number. 

I say include whatever songs you want to, opinions about it be damned.  It's your list. :yes:  
Yes. Thank you. Asking for feedback has given me a few I would have otherwise missed

I have most of my rankings done. When do you want this? 
Wow. Good stuff. I am posting my final list of 229 songs next, in alphabetical order. Rankings to come. If you rank them all, send it to me on PM and we will discuss further. You will be given 50% weight, 33% if we get another and so on. Except for the song I have ranked #229. Mine. No sharing

These songs will be ranked 229 to 1.

"11 O'Clock Tick Tock"Under a Blood Red Sky

"13 (There Is a Light)"Songs of Experience

"40"War & Under a Blood Red Sky

"4th of July"Unforgettable Fire

"A CelebrationSingle

"A Day Without Me"Boy

"A Man and a Woman"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel" (Best Of edit)"Angel of Harlem" single

"A Sort of Homecoming"Unforgettable Fire

"Acrobat"Achtung Baby

"Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk/Korova 1"The Fly

"All Along the Watchtower" Rattle and Hum

"All Because of You"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"All I Want Is You"Rattle and Hum

"AlwaysBeautiful Day

"American Soul"Songs of Experience

"An Cat Dubh"Boy

"Angel of Harlem"Rattle and Hum

"Another Day Debut Single

"Another Time, Another Place"Boy

"Are You Gonna Wait ForeverVertigo

"Ave MariaSometimes You Cant Make it On Your Own

"Babyface"Zooropa

"Bad"Unforgettable Fire

"Bass Trap" (Best Of edit)"The Unforgettable Fire" single

"Beautiful Day"All that you can't leave behind

"Big Girls are BestStuck in a moment you cant get out of

"Boomerang IPride

"Boomerang IIPride

"Boy/GirlU2 3EP

"Breathe"No Line on the Horizon

"Bullet the Blue Sky"Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum

"California (There Is No End to Love)"Songs of Innocence

"Cant Help Falling in LoveWhos Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

"Cedars of Lebanon"No Line on the Horizon

"Cedarwood Road"Songs of Innocence

"Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)A very Special Christmas

"City of Blinding Lights"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"Crumbs from Your Table"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"Crystal BallroomVinyl Songs of Innocence

"Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car"Zooropa

"Dancing Barefoot" (extended version; Patti Smith, Ivan Kral)"When Love Comes to Town" single

"Deep in the HeartI still Havent found what im looking for

"Desire"Rattle and Hum

"Dirty Day"Zooropa

"Discothèque"Pop

"Do You Feel Loved"Pop

"Dont take your guns to townElevation

"Drowning Man"War

"Electrical Storm" (William Orbit mix)Best of 90s

"Elevation"All that you can't leave behind

"Elvis Presley and America"Unforgettable Fire

"Endless Deep""Two Hearts Beat as One" single

"Even Better Than the Real Thing"Achtung Baby

"Everlasting Love" (Buzz Cason, Mac Gayden)"All I Want Is You" single

"Every Breaking Wave"Songs of Innocence

"Exit"Joshua Tree

"Fast Cars"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"Fez – Being Born"No Line on the Horizon

"Fire"October

"Fortunate SonWhos Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

"Get On Your Boots"No Line on the Horizon

"Get Out of Your Own Way"Songs of Experience

"Gloria"October & Under a Blood Red Sky

"God Part II"Rattle and Hum

"Gone"Pop

"Grace"All that you can't leave behind

"Hallelujah Here She Comes" (Best Ofedit)"Desire" single

"Happiness Is a Warm Gun" (Gun mix)"Last Night on Earth" single

"Hawkmoon 269"Rattle and Hum

"Heartland"Rattle and Hum

"Helter Skelter" (live at Denver, Colorado)Rattle and Hum

"Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me"Best of 90s

"Holy JoeDiscoteque

"I Fall Down"October

"I remember youElevation

"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"Joshua Tree & Rattle and Hum

"I Threw a Brick Through a Window"October

"I Will Follow"Boy & Under a Blood Red Sky

"I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight"No Line on the Horizon

"I'm Not Your BabyEnd of Violence Soundtrack

"I've Got You Under My SkinStay

"I"m not your babyPlease

"If God Will Send His Angels"Pop

"If You Wear That Velvet Dress"Pop

"In a Little While"All that you can't leave behind

"In God's Country"Joshua Tree

"Indian Summer Sky"Unforgettable Fire

"Into the Heart"Boy

"InvisibleDigital

"Iris (Hold Me Close)"Songs of Innocence

"Is That All?"October

"J SwalloFire

"Jesus ChristWoodie Guthrie Tribute

"Kite"All that you can't leave behind

"Lady with the Spinning Head" (Extended dance mix)"Even Better Than the Real Thing" single

"Landlady"Songs of Experience

"Last Night on Earth"Pop

"Lemon"Zooropa

"Lights of Home"Songs of Experience

"Like a Song…"War

"Love and Peace or Else"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"Love Comes Tumbling" (Best Of edit)"The Unforgettable Fire" single

"Love Is All We Have Left"Songs of Experience

"Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way"Songs of Experience

"Love Is Blindness"Achtung Baby

"Love Rescue Me"Rattle and Hum

"Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)""With or Without You" single

"Magnificent"No Line on the Horizon

"Miami"Pop

"Miracle Drug"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"Miss Sarajevo" (Radio edit; originally credited to Passengers (U2 & Brian Eno))Best of 90s

"MLK"Unforgettable Fire

"Mofo"Pop

"Moment of Surrender"No Line on the Horizon

"Mothers of the Disappeared"Joshua Tree

"Mysterious Ways"Achtung Baby

"Neon LightsVertigo

"New Year's Day"War & Under a Blood Red Sky

"New York"All that you can't leave behind

"Night and DayOne

"No Line on the Horizon 2Get on Your Boots

"No Line on the Horizon"No Line on the Horizon

"North and South of the River""Staring at the Sun" single

"North StarTransformers

"Numb"Zooropa

"October"October

"One Step Closer"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"One Tree Hill"Joshua Tree

"One"Achtung Baby

"Ordinary LoveMandela

"Original of the Species"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"Out of Control"Boy

"Paint it BlackWhos Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

"Party Girl"Under a Blood Red Sky

"Peace on Earth"All that you can't leave behind

"Please"Pop

"Pop MuzikLast Night on Earth

"Pride (In the Name of Love)"Unforgettable Fire & Rattle and Hum

"Promenade"Unforgettable Fire

"Race Against TimeWhere the Streets have no name

"Raised by Wolves"Songs of Innocence

"Red Flag Day"Songs of Experience

"Red Hill Mining Town"Joshua Tree

"Red Light"War

"Rejoice"October

"Running to Stand Still"Joshua Tree

"Salomé" (Zooromancer remix edit)"Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" single

"Satellite Of LoveOne

"Scarlet"October

"Seconds"War

"Shadows and Tall Trees"Boy

"She's a Mystery to MeAll Because of You

"Silver and Gold" (live from Denver, Colorado)Rattle and Hum

"Sixty Seconds in Kingdom ComesUnforgettable Fire

"Sleep Like a Baby Tonight"Songs of Innocence

"Slow DancingStay

"So Cruel"Achtung Baby

"Some Days Are Better Than Others"Zooropa

"Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"Song for Someone"Songs of Innocence

"Spanish Eyes""I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" single

"Stand Up Comedy"No Line on the Horizon

"Staring at the Sun"Pop

"StatelessMilion Dollar Hotel

"Stay (Faraway, So Close!)"Zooropa

"Stories for Boys"Boy

"Stranger in a Strange Land"October

"Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of"All that you can't leave behind

"Summer of Love"Songs of Experience

"Summer Rain""Beautiful Day" single

"Sunday Bloody Sunday"War & Under a Blood Red Sky

"Surrender"War

"Sweetest Thing" (Single mix)Best of the 80s

"The Blackout"Songs of Experience

"The Electric Co."Boy & Under a Blood Red Sky

"The First Time"Zooropa

"The Fly"Achtung Baby

"The Ground Beneath Her Feet"Million Dollar Hotel

"The Hands That Built America" (Theme from Gangs of New York)Best of 90s

"The Little Things That Give You Away"Songs of Experience

"The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)"Songs of Innocence

"The Ocean"Boy

"The Playboy Mansion"Pop

"The Refugee" (produced by Bill Whelan)War

"The Saints Are Coming" (with Green Day)U2 18

"The Showman (Little More Better)"Songs of Experience

"The Three Sunrises""The Unforgettable Fire" single

"The Troubles"Songs of Innocence

"The Unforgettable Fire"Unforgettable Fire

"The Wanderer" (starring Johnny Cash)Zooropa

"Things to Make and Do" (instrumental)B Side A Day without Me

"This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now"Songs of Innocence

"Tomorrow"October

"TouchB Side 11 oclock tick tock

"Tower of SongWindow in the Skies

"Treasure (Whatever happened to Pete the Chop)New Years Day

"Trip Through Your Wires"Joshua Tree

"Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World"Achtung Baby

"Twilight"Boy

"Two Hearts Beat as One"War

"Two shots of happy one shot of sadIf god will send his angels

"Ultraviolet (Light My Way)"Achtung Baby

"Unchained Melody" (Alex North, Hy Zaret)"All I Want Is You" single

"Unknown Caller"No Line on the Horizon

"Until the End of the World"Achtung Baby

"Van Diemen's Land"Rattle and Hum

"Vertigo"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"Volcano"Songs of Innocence

"Wake Up Dead Man"Pop

"Walk On"All that you can't leave behind

"Walk to the Water""With or Without You" single

"When I Look at the World"All that you can't leave behind

"When Love Comes to Town"Rattle and Hum

"Where Did It All Go WrongEven Better Than the Real Thing

"Where the Streets Have No Name"Joshua Tree

"White as Snow"No Line on the Horizon

"Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses"Achtung Baby

"Wild Honey"All that you can't leave behind

"Window in the Skies"U2 18

"WinterBrothers Soundtrack

"Wire"Unforgettable Fire

"With a Shout (Jerusalem)"October

"With or Without You"Joshua Tree

"Yahweh"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"You're the Best Thing About Me"Songs of Experience

"Your Blue Room"Original Soundtracks 1

"Zoo Station"Achtung Baby

"Zooropa"Zooropa

People have one week, maybe more if people reach out and advise they need more time, to submit a list before I start. I need to familiarize myself with some of these as well. 

I'm working on my rankings and wanted clarification . . . are we going with Bad from Unforgettable Fire or Wide Awake in America? Cause that will make a big difference. And "I'm Not Your Baby" is listed twice on your list of songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm working on my rankings and wanted clarification . . . are we going with Bad from Unforgettable Fire or Wide Awake in America? Cause that will make a big difference. And "I'm Not Your Baby" is listed twice on your list of songs.
Good catch on I’m not your Baby. We are down to 228. 

As for rankings, Each song is your own choice. If you heard All Because of You live in concert and found it way better than the version on the album, you can rate it higher. If a song has more meaning in real life ie a moment song and rate it higher, thats all good. Other rankers won’t have the same reasons for the same song, but each of us have our own experiences with each of these songs and will rank accordingly. When a song is discussed, we can dissect why I have it rated 221, you have it rated at 5 and another guy at 117. 

I have one other confirmed list submitted. I have another one promised.

That will be 3 lists. Some songs we are going to rated poles apart. Thats all good. It will be collated and evenly distributed.

For that reason I cannot in all good conscience demand to have my lowest song, the lowest rated song in this entire list. The other list i have received has it rated in the top 100. When it comes up i will explain why i have it rated so poorly, but my ranking will be given equal weight with the other rankers. 

Once I receive my third list I will be ready to start. Be it tomorrow or four days time.

If you have any intention of listing, 1 to 228, please get in touch asap via PM. I am happy to delay the start of this to accomodate another listing

I'm anxiously waiting for this.  Been a fan for about 35 years.  Seen them in concert 25+ times.  Wish I had the time to compile a list, but I'll enjoy seeing where everyone else has their tracks ranked.

John Maddens Lunchbox said:
Once I receive my third list I will be ready to start. Be it tomorrow or four days time.

If you have any intention of listing, 1 to 228, please get in touch asap via PM. I am happy to delay the start of this to accomodate another listing
I'm traveling this weekend so I don't think I will get mine done soon. Feel free to get started without me. For as much as I enjoy the music, I don't need my experience ruined by some ####### complaining about why song x is in my top ten. 

John Maddens Lunchbox said:
Good catch on I’m not your Baby. We are down to 228. 

As for rankings, Each song is your own choice. If you heard All Because of You live in concert and found it way better than the version on the album, you can rate it higher. If a song has more meaning in real life ie a moment song and rate it higher, thats all good. Other rankers won’t have the same reasons for the same song, but each of us have our own experiences with each of these songs and will rank accordingly. When a song is discussed, we can dissect why I have it rated 221, you have it rated at 5 and another guy at 117. 
I don’t have the time to create my own list but am anxiously awaiting yours. As a result, my request for further clarification on this point (I raised it originally) is I’m sure both unnecessary and annoying. But with respect to the list, you have the albums listed next to the song. So I would presume that we’re talking about the song as it appeared on that album. Well, Bad was released on two different albums and to me, the Wide Awake version is superior. So by listing UF next to Bad are you saying that we’re ranking that studio version, but can bump it up our own list if there are other versions we enjoy more?  Or is the list simply of the songs (in whatever iteration) and the album references are not relevant at all to the ranking?

I'm traveling this weekend so I don't think I will get mine done soon. Feel free to get started without me. For as much as I enjoy the music, I don't need my experience ruined by some ####### complaining about why song x is in my top ten. 

I ran out of time as well.  Parenting is hard.
@Brony and @Nugget

I would rather delay for a few days or a week to get your lists. The more lists we have the more the outliers get rectified.

As an example, one song already is rated in the 200s by one of us and in the top 20 by the other. I encourage your list to be true to you. 

To your point Brony, your top 10 is your top 10. I don’t care if your top 10 is my bottom 10. It is subjective. Maybe there will be complaints, but its not personal. They love or hate a song so much their judgement and emotions are clouded. 

If we have eg 4 sets of rankings. I will say the highest it was rated was eg 12, the lowest it was rated was 217. Its then up to you if you want to talk about any song or indicate the high or low ranking is yours. 

As the one doing this, i am happy to tale any criticism on board. 

I don’t have the time to create my own list but am anxiously awaiting yours. As a result, my request for further clarification on this point (I raised it originally) is I’m sure both unnecessary and annoying. But with respect to the list, you have the albums listed next to the song. So I would presume that we’re talking about the song as it appeared on that album. Well, Bad was released on two different albums and to me, the Wide Awake version is superior. So by listing UF next to Bad are you saying that we’re ranking that studio version, but can bump it up our own list if there are other versions we enjoy more?  Or is the list simply of the songs (in whatever iteration) and the album references are not relevant at all to the ranking?
It’s all good. I thought I addressed it, but will try and clarify. 

The album or single next to a song is basically there to illustrate where the casual person can find the song in the U2 collection. Where the individual ranker places the song is up to them. Some may strictly rate the recorded album version only, some may take the best recorded version as in your example and some may rate it based on the personal meaning each song has or a live version they saw or heard on a bootleg. I want rankings from the heart or the head or a combination of both. It has to mean something. 

Ultimately i want each ranker, to rank a song however they want without strict guidelines. U2 is a band that borderline encourages bootlegs and there are so many versions of each song available. As an example I have a.bootleg recording of Vertigo from 2005 at Glasgow. I was at that gig. They played it twice. The second version kicked ####. I will rate Vertigo based on that. Some may choose to rate Bad off the Live Aid version. Some strictly as how it sounds on UF. I want people to have the freedom to have their lists be authentic and genuine without worrying about what others think of their ranking. I will take the heat.

It’s all good. I thought I addressed it, but will try and clarify. 

The album or single next to a song is basically there to illustrate where the casual person can find the song in the U2 collection. Where the individual ranker places the song is up to them. Some may strictly rate the recorded album version only, some may take the best recorded version as in your example and some may rate it based on the personal meaning each song has or a live version they saw or heard on a bootleg. I want rankings from the heart or the head or a combination of both. It has to mean something. 

Ultimately i want each ranker, to rank a song however they want without strict guidelines. U2 is a band that borderline encourages bootlegs and there are so many versions of each song available. As an example I have a.bootleg recording of Vertigo from 2005 at Glasgow. I was at that gig. They played it twice. The second version kicked ####. I will rate Vertigo based on that. Some may choose to rate Bad off the Live Aid version. Some strictly as how it sounds on UF. I want people to have the freedom to have their lists be authentic and genuine without worrying about what others think of their ranking. I will take the heat.
Perfect explanation. Thanks!

These songs will be ranked 229 to 1.

"11 O'Clock Tick Tock"Under a Blood Red Sky

"13 (There Is a Light)"Songs of Experience

"40"War & Under a Blood Red Sky

"4th of July"Unforgettable Fire

"A CelebrationSingle

"A Day Without Me"Boy

"A Man and a Woman"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel" (Best Of edit)"Angel of Harlem" single

"A Sort of Homecoming"Unforgettable Fire

"Acrobat"Achtung Baby

"Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk/Korova 1"The Fly

"All Along the Watchtower" Rattle and Hum

"All Because of You"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"All I Want Is You"Rattle and Hum

"AlwaysBeautiful Day

"American Soul"Songs of Experience

"An Cat Dubh"Boy

"Angel of Harlem"Rattle and Hum

"Another Day Debut Single

"Another Time, Another Place"Boy

"Are You Gonna Wait ForeverVertigo

"Ave MariaSometimes You Cant Make it On Your Own

"Babyface"Zooropa

"Bad"Unforgettable Fire

"Bass Trap" (Best Of edit)"The Unforgettable Fire" single

"Beautiful Day"All that you can't leave behind

"Big Girls are BestStuck in a moment you cant get out of

"Boomerang IPride

"Boomerang IIPride

"Boy/GirlU2 3EP

"Breathe"No Line on the Horizon

"Bullet the Blue Sky"Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum

"California (There Is No End to Love)"Songs of Innocence

"Cant Help Falling in LoveWhos Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

"Cedars of Lebanon"No Line on the Horizon

"Cedarwood Road"Songs of Innocence

"Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)A very Special Christmas

"City of Blinding Lights"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"Crumbs from Your Table"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"Crystal BallroomVinyl Songs of Innocence

"Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car"Zooropa

"Dancing Barefoot" (extended version; Patti Smith, Ivan Kral)"When Love Comes to Town" single

"Deep in the HeartI still Havent found what im looking for

"Desire"Rattle and Hum

"Dirty Day"Zooropa

"Discothèque"Pop

"Do You Feel Loved"Pop

"Dont take your guns to townElevation

"Drowning Man"War

"Electrical Storm" (William Orbit mix)Best of 90s

"Elevation"All that you can't leave behind

"Elvis Presley and America"Unforgettable Fire

"Endless Deep""Two Hearts Beat as One" single

"Even Better Than the Real Thing"Achtung Baby

"Everlasting Love" (Buzz Cason, Mac Gayden)"All I Want Is You" single

"Every Breaking Wave"Songs of Innocence

"Exit"Joshua Tree

"Fast Cars"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"Fez – Being Born"No Line on the Horizon

"Fire"October

"Fortunate SonWhos Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

"Get On Your Boots"No Line on the Horizon

"Get Out of Your Own Way"Songs of Experience

"Gloria"October & Under a Blood Red Sky

"God Part II"Rattle and Hum

"Gone"Pop

"Grace"All that you can't leave behind

"Hallelujah Here She Comes" (Best Ofedit)"Desire" single

"Happiness Is a Warm Gun" (Gun mix)"Last Night on Earth" single

"Hawkmoon 269"Rattle and Hum

"Heartland"Rattle and Hum

"Helter Skelter" (live at Denver, Colorado)Rattle and Hum

"Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me"Best of 90s

"Holy JoeDiscoteque

"I Fall Down"October

"I remember youElevation

"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"Joshua Tree & Rattle and Hum

"I Threw a Brick Through a Window"October

"I Will Follow"Boy & Under a Blood Red Sky

"I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight"No Line on the Horizon

"I'm Not Your BabyEnd of Violence Soundtrack

"I've Got You Under My SkinStay

"I"m not your babyPlease

"If God Will Send His Angels"Pop

"If You Wear That Velvet Dress"Pop

"In a Little While"All that you can't leave behind

"In God's Country"Joshua Tree

"Indian Summer Sky"Unforgettable Fire

"Into the Heart"Boy

"InvisibleDigital

"Iris (Hold Me Close)"Songs of Innocence

"Is That All?"October

"J SwalloFire

"Jesus ChristWoodie Guthrie Tribute

"Kite"All that you can't leave behind

"Lady with the Spinning Head" (Extended dance mix)"Even Better Than the Real Thing" single

"Landlady"Songs of Experience

"Last Night on Earth"Pop

"Lemon"Zooropa

"Lights of Home"Songs of Experience

"Like a Song…"War

"Love and Peace or Else"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"Love Comes Tumbling" (Best Of edit)"The Unforgettable Fire" single

"Love Is All We Have Left"Songs of Experience

"Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way"Songs of Experience

"Love Is Blindness"Achtung Baby

"Love Rescue Me"Rattle and Hum

"Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)""With or Without You" single

"Magnificent"No Line on the Horizon

"Miami"Pop

"Miracle Drug"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"Miss Sarajevo" (Radio edit; originally credited to Passengers (U2 & Brian Eno))Best of 90s

"MLK"Unforgettable Fire

"Mofo"Pop

"Moment of Surrender"No Line on the Horizon

"Mothers of the Disappeared"Joshua Tree

"Mysterious Ways"Achtung Baby

"Neon LightsVertigo

"New Year's Day"War & Under a Blood Red Sky

"New York"All that you can't leave behind

"Night and DayOne

"No Line on the Horizon 2Get on Your Boots

"No Line on the Horizon"No Line on the Horizon

"North and South of the River""Staring at the Sun" single

"North StarTransformers

"Numb"Zooropa

"October"October

"One Step Closer"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"One Tree Hill"Joshua Tree

"One"Achtung Baby

"Ordinary LoveMandela

"Original of the Species"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"Out of Control"Boy

"Paint it BlackWhos Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

"Party Girl"Under a Blood Red Sky

"Peace on Earth"All that you can't leave behind

"Please"Pop

"Pop MuzikLast Night on Earth

"Pride (In the Name of Love)"Unforgettable Fire & Rattle and Hum

"Promenade"Unforgettable Fire

"Race Against TimeWhere the Streets have no name

"Raised by Wolves"Songs of Innocence

"Red Flag Day"Songs of Experience

"Red Hill Mining Town"Joshua Tree

"Red Light"War

"Rejoice"October

"Running to Stand Still"Joshua Tree

"Salomé" (Zooromancer remix edit)"Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" single

"Satellite Of LoveOne

"Scarlet"October

"Seconds"War

"Shadows and Tall Trees"Boy

"She's a Mystery to MeAll Because of You

"Silver and Gold" (live from Denver, Colorado)Rattle and Hum

"Sixty Seconds in Kingdom ComesUnforgettable Fire

"Sleep Like a Baby Tonight"Songs of Innocence

"Slow DancingStay

"So Cruel"Achtung Baby

"Some Days Are Better Than Others"Zooropa

"Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"Song for Someone"Songs of Innocence

"Spanish Eyes""I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" single

"Stand Up Comedy"No Line on the Horizon

"Staring at the Sun"Pop

"StatelessMilion Dollar Hotel

"Stay (Faraway, So Close!)"Zooropa

"Stories for Boys"Boy

"Stranger in a Strange Land"October

"Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of"All that you can't leave behind

"Summer of Love"Songs of Experience

"Summer Rain""Beautiful Day" single

"Sunday Bloody Sunday"War & Under a Blood Red Sky

"Surrender"War

"Sweetest Thing" (Single mix)Best of the 80s

"The Blackout"Songs of Experience

"The Electric Co."Boy & Under a Blood Red Sky

"The First Time"Zooropa

"The Fly"Achtung Baby

"The Ground Beneath Her Feet"Million Dollar Hotel

"The Hands That Built America" (Theme from Gangs of New York)Best of 90s

"The Little Things That Give You Away"Songs of Experience

"The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)"Songs of Innocence

"The Ocean"Boy

"The Playboy Mansion"Pop

"The Refugee" (produced by Bill Whelan)War

"The Saints Are Coming" (with Green Day)U2 18

"The Showman (Little More Better)"Songs of Experience

"The Three Sunrises""The Unforgettable Fire" single

"The Troubles"Songs of Innocence

"The Unforgettable Fire"Unforgettable Fire

"The Wanderer" (starring Johnny Cash)Zooropa

"Things to Make and Do" (instrumental)B Side A Day without Me

"This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now"Songs of Innocence

"Tomorrow"October

"TouchB Side 11 oclock tick tock

"Tower of SongWindow in the Skies

"Treasure (Whatever happened to Pete the Chop)New Years Day

"Trip Through Your Wires"Joshua Tree

"Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World"Achtung Baby

"Twilight"Boy

"Two Hearts Beat as One"War

"Two shots of happy one shot of sadIf god will send his angels

"Ultraviolet (Light My Way)"Achtung Baby

"Unchained Melody" (Alex North, Hy Zaret)"All I Want Is You" single

"Unknown Caller"No Line on the Horizon

"Until the End of the World"Achtung Baby

"Van Diemen's Land"Rattle and Hum

"Vertigo"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"Volcano"Songs of Innocence

"Wake Up Dead Man"Pop

"Walk On"All that you can't leave behind

"Walk to the Water""With or Without You" single

"When I Look at the World"All that you can't leave behind

"When Love Comes to Town"Rattle and Hum

"Where Did It All Go WrongEven Better Than the Real Thing

"Where the Streets Have No Name"Joshua Tree

"White as Snow"No Line on the Horizon

"Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses"Achtung Baby

"Wild Honey"All that you can't leave behind

"Window in the Skies"U2 18

"WinterBrothers Soundtrack

"Wire"Unforgettable Fire

"With a Shout (Jerusalem)"October

"With or Without You"Joshua Tree

"Yahweh"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"You're the Best Thing About Me"Songs of Experience

"Your Blue Room"Original Soundtracks 1

"Zoo Station"Achtung Baby

"Zooropa"Zooropa
That's an incredible coincidence that your ranking is in alphabetical order!

Maybe post release or as I mention a song throw your ranking in.

Your #47 could be my #186 or vice versa. All or nothing It needs to be, so all songs get judged equally.
 Noted.  I will follow the thread, but my head is spinning just trying to think of a top 50.  To rank all 200+ in order would take months (especially since I am not in a U2 head space at the moment). 

That's an incredible coincidence that your ranking is in alphabetical order!
Easiest way to do this. Saves a ton of time. Sucks that With or Without You is at the #### end of the alphabet, but hey ho

Noted.  I will follow the thread, but my head is spinning just trying to think of a top 50.  To rank all 200+ in order would take months (especially since I am not in a U2 head space at the moment). 
It depends on how well you know the U2 material. I had been going through the vinyl and cd singles anyway so they were fresh in mind. Have to hammer the last 3 albums which is a bit of a chore and some of the more obscure stuff here, but depends on how organized you wanna be. Im categorizing first and then ranking within categories. My lowest ranked songs are grouped in the “Awful” bracket. The top ones in “ Elite”. Much easier to rank within a group of 40-50 than 228 at once. 

I have 7 categories from worst to best. 

@Brony and @Nugget

I would rather delay for a few days or a week to get your lists. The more lists we have the more the outliers get rectified.

As an example, one song already is rated in the 200s by one of us and in the top 20 by the other. I encourage your list to be true to you. 

To your point Brony, your top 10 is your top 10. I don’t care if your top 10 is my bottom 10. It is subjective. Maybe there will be complaints, but its not personal. They love or hate a song so much their judgement and emotions are clouded. 

If we have eg 4 sets of rankings. I will say the highest it was rated was eg 12, the lowest it was rated was 217. Its then up to you if you want to talk about any song or indicate the high or low ranking is yours. 

As the one doing this, i am happy to tale any criticism on board. 
You pulled me back in.  They have 2 parents.

I’ll be listening to a lot of the b sides this week and hope to have my list to you by Thursday. 

People are certainly allowed to say wrong things like the bolded, but it doesn't mean you would have to validate those types of comments.  ;)

Really looking forward to this.  I'm trying to convince Mrs APK to put together, at a minimum, her top-50 list.  If I put one together, it will probably annoy her enough that she'll correct mine and make her own.
I put together my own top-50 list and shared it with Mrs APK.  My strategy worked, because she was immediately annoyed (reading it and saying "no.....no.....no.....") and is now working on her own.   Neither of us can possibly rank every song, but I'll gladly share our respective top-50 lists whenever in the process it is deemed appropriate by the OP.

I put together my own top-50 list and shared it with Mrs APK.  My strategy worked, because she was immediately annoyed (reading it and saying "no.....no.....no.....") and is now working on her own.   Neither of us can possibly rank every song, but I'll gladly share our respective top-50 lists whenever in the process it is deemed appropriate by the OP.
I could probably put together something like that, but no way could I do all 228.

When Krista did her Beatles countdown, a bunch of other people made top 25 Beatles lists, and those were compiled and shared toward the end of the countdown. 

Pip's Invitation said:
I could probably put together something like that, but no way could I do all 228.

When Krista did her Beatles countdown, a bunch of other people made top 25 Beatles lists, and those were compiled and shared toward the end of the countdown. 
As soon as songs from your top 25/40/50 etc start appearing, and they may be earlier than you expect, comment away. Alternatively wait until the end. 

As an aside, I have been hammering away Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience and have been pleasantly surprised by quite a few tracks. Probably got at least 5 higher than anything on No Line on the Horizon. Only one song on Pop is likely to beat them as well. 

Thats my list though. I could have anywhere from 1-3 other lists to compile. 

Not too late if you are thinking about it. Id rather take patience up front to get other lists to make it more interesting. You can have full confidentiality or be as open as you like. 

I excluded all the Passengers songs except Miss Sarajevo which was included on the U2 best of 1990-200 and Your Blue Room which was included on the B Sides compilation for the same album. 

I currently have 207 tracks including all the track listings on the B Side discs that accomodated the 1980-1989 and 1990-2000 discs. Some of those are remixes so will be excluded. I do have to check all the B Sides as some are not on these discs. Once I have tidied this up I will post them all here and then eventually begin the countdown after one last request for submissions. 

Lol. I guarantee that #1 will not be that song....#40 we will see
That's too bad, because Slug and Always Forever Now are easily in the top 200 U2 songs.

Mister CIA said:
10 of my top 20 would probably come from one album.

:I did not evolve much: 
Wow!   Look forward to hearing more at some point.   I can’t think of any single album with more than……5 or 6 of my top-25!

Mister CIA said:
10 of my top 20 would probably come from one album.

:I did not evolve much: 
The way I approached this was to go album by album. Some albums had incredible highs and deep lows, especially the early stuff. Some like Joshua Tree and Achtung have very few, if any lows and incredible highs. Album that surprised me was Songs of Innocence. I dont think theres a dud track on it. No highs mind you, but it was a dramatic improvement on No Line on the Horizon. 

That's too bad, because Slug and Always Forever Now are easily in the top 200 U2 songs.
Yeah I understand. If Miss Sarajevo and Your Blue Room hadnt been on official U2 B Side albums, they would have too missed the cut. The Passengers album is better than at least one or two U2 albums, but the fact they didn’t put their name on it means I cant either. 

This doesn't really sound like much fun. 
Nor do you

I'm a big fan of Joshua Tree.  Time and place means a lot with it.
I agree. It hit me at the perfect time to be influential. Up until then I thought U2 were only for the cool kids. Then it just blew me away with its excellence from start to finish. Previous U2 albums left me cold for considerable stretchs. After that they became must haves in my collection and Ive made a pretty penny selling some of the rarer stuff I had.

Great news is I now have 4 official lists, including mine. Will compile and see where everything fits and start in a few days. Not sure how many I do in a day. Will probably limit it to a couple, but the early going will be rough with some awful stuff listed. Will try and get through those as quick as possible. 

Its not too late if you have done some legwork and can rank 228 within a few days. Contact me via pm urgently so I can include you.

Gotta say I love the variety in these 4 lists. Exactly what i wanted. There are differences of over 150 for some songs. Some are all ranked high. Some are all ranked low. My outliers are repudiated by others and completely agreed with by others. Should be fun. 

Gotta say I love the variety in these 4 lists. Exactly what i wanted. There are differences of over 150 for some songs. Some are all ranked high. Some are all ranked low. My outliers are repudiated by others and completely agreed with by others. Should be fun. 
Where did the other three rank the song that you hate so much? 

I haven’t visited this thread much, but it’s gotta be Party Girl, right?
Well known tracks aren’t likely ti see the light of day for awhile

I was hoping for something from Zooropa
One coming soon

If it's something from after 2004, I wouldn't have a clue. 

If it's something older -- Elvis Presley and America? 
Might see that one soon

My best guess is a B side that you have never heard of. 
That’s a Bingo

Right, let’s start.

Including B Sides was going to have a positive and a negative. The negative starts here. 

#228 - Happiness is a Warm Gun

Highest Rank - 190

Lowest Rank - 226

Vulture Ranking and Comment - Not Included

Comment - Hiding an awful song with slick production tricks sometimes works. Here it doesnt. On the B Side to Last Night on Earth, which itself is eminently forgettable. i didn’t even recognise it as a Beatles cover, thats how bad it is. 

It gets better.

#227 Landlady

Highest Rank - 197

Lowest Rank - 215

Vulture Ranking and comment - Not included

Comment - First song from an album, and their most recent one at that In Songs of Experience. This is really bad. Supposed to be a love letter from Bono to his wife. She should make him sleep on the couch. It’s cringeworthy and an embarrassment. It has the lowest place highest rank of any song on this list. There was another song the other 3 rankers had at 210 or lower, but I put it at 150 something for reasons I will explain. It’s coming soon. 

#227 Landlady

Highest Rank - 197

Lowest Rank - 215

Vulture Ranking and comment - Not included

Comment - First song from an album, and their most recent one at that In Songs of Experience. This is really bad. Supposed to be a love letter from Bono to his wife. She should make him sleep on the couch. It’s cringeworthy and an embarrassment. It has the lowest place highest rank of any song on this list. There was another song the other 3 rankers had at 210 or lower, but I put it at 150 something for reasons I will explain. It’s coming soon. 
Those are really two horrible songs

Users who are viewing this thread