What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U2 - Community rankings - FIN - #4 Sunday Bloody Sunday, #3 - One, #2 - Bad, #1 - Where the Streets Have No Name -Spotify links, thanks to Krista4 (2 Viewers)

Brony said:
it's the math nerd in me, but it slightly bothers me that a song is ranked 216 when it's lowest rank is 208.  (I realize this happens when all 4 rankers have it with a high score and no low scores to bring down the average, but still)
That makes you sound like the opposite of a math nerd ;)

John Maddens Lunchbox said:
216 - 4th of July (1984)

Highest Rank - 170

Lowest Rank - 208

Where to find it - The Unforgettable Fire LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 178/218 - Another Adam Clayton in-studio improvisation that the Edge joined in on, except this time Brian Eno had tape rolling, so what you hear is what they did in the studio, no overdubs, no multiple takes. It fits, slightly eerie and plaintive, and provides a necessary pause for the listener before the next track, back when records had deliberate sequences that informed most people’s experience of the album.

Comment - Meant to be atmospheric, but it just sounds like they are warming up their instruments. U2 usually throws these kinds of tracks on B Sides on the last minute. No idea who thought it was a good idea to include on a breakthrough album.

Next Up, back to the B- Sides
I always felt like this "song" flowed with the album and led into Bad sort of as an introduction. As a song itself I guess I get its low ranking, but to me this just feels very low on the list. Looking forward to today's entries.

I always felt like this "song" flowed with the album and led into Bad sort of as an introduction. As a song itself I guess I get its low ranking, but to me this just feels very low on the list. Looking forward to today's entries.
I agree.

It also served as their walk-on music during the Unforgettable Fire tour. 

213 - Ave Maria (2005)

Highest Rank - 134

Lowest Rank - 228

Where to find it - Sometimes you cant make it B Side

Vulture.com ranking and comment - Not ranked

Comment - Who thought this was a good idea? I really dont mind them taking a risk. I’d prefer it to a boring track, but its a hard listen.

Next Up, we get to the first song from the Boy LP

212 - The Ocean (1980)

Highest Rank - 113

Lowest Rank - 225

Where to Find it - Boy LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 116/218 - It’s not hard to make a guitar sound like ocean waves, but it is an art to make them sound like a particular kind of ocean waves: the dark rolling whitecap kind, the kind you’d see in the Irish Sea. And the Edge does so with aplomb. “The Ocean” is a little blip, 1 minute and 35 seconds of atmosphere. Bono has been hard on himself for the self-indulgence present in the opening lines (“A picture in gray, Dorian Gray / just me by the sea / And I felt like a star”), both back when it happened and then later on — but out of the long list of egotistical sins he’s actually guilty of, his vehemence in this particular case is interesting. He apologizes for it by saying, “It is the thought of everybody in a band who thinks he can change the world,” except that he wouldn’t have become Bono had Larry Mullen Jr. not thought the same way and put a note reading “Drummer seeks musicians to form band” on the bulletin board at Mount Temple Comprehensive.

Comment - Short and not memorable. At least its over with quick. Interesting note that one of us deemed it a ranking of 113. These type of tracks were preferred by one of us compared to the other 3. Maybe they are a muso and appreciate the doodling more than the other 3 of us. Very soon some us get our top 100 touched while we are still in the 200s. The first time any of us get our top 50 raided is at #173 and its one of mine. The rest of us lose our top 50 cherry at #162, #145 and #115

Next Up, we go back to the B Sides

211 - Race Against Time (1987)

Highest Rank - 146

Lowest Rank - 221

Where to Find It - Where the streets have no name B Side

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 194/218 - During the recording of The Unforgettable Fire, the Edge discovered King Sunny Ade and juju music, a cross between Western pop and African rhythms. Juju is, at its core, a bouncy, highly danceable music form, and it definitely influenced this polished outtake from the TJT sessions. It would not have fit anywhere on the record, but it’s at least a complete thought.

Comment - This is basically auditining for soundtrack work. Two of us had it ranked near or in our bottom 10, the other 2 had it around 150. 

Next up, is the first time we return to an album for the second time. October gets the dubious honor of a second track. We actually get a break from the B Sides for awhile. We get 4 album tracks in a row (all from different albums) and then a soundtrack song before we see another B Side at #205. 

The admin to Date

B-Sides = 12 (5 covers)

Soundtracks - 1

October = 1

No Line On The Horizon = 1

Songs of Experience = 1

The Unforgettable Fire - 1

Boy - 1

Alright in hindsight, North and South of the river is better than Ave Maria. Not the first time I will see flaws in my rankings of these lesser tunes. 

212 - The Ocean (1980)

Highest Rank - 113

Lowest Rank - 225

Where to Find it - Boy LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 116/218 - It’s not hard to make a guitar sound like ocean waves, but it is an art to make them sound like a particular kind of ocean waves: the dark rolling whitecap kind, the kind you’d see in the Irish Sea. And the Edge does so with aplomb. “The Ocean” is a little blip, 1 minute and 35 seconds of atmosphere. Bono has been hard on himself for the self-indulgence present in the opening lines (“A picture in gray, Dorian Gray / just me by the sea / And I felt like a star”), both back when it happened and then later on — but out of the long list of egotistical sins he’s actually guilty of, his vehemence in this particular case is interesting. He apologizes for it by saying, “It is the thought of everybody in a band who thinks he can change the world,” except that he wouldn’t have become Bono had Larry Mullen Jr. not thought the same way and put a note reading “Drummer seeks musicians to form band” on the bulletin board at Mount Temple Comprehensive.

Comment - Short and not memorable. At least its over with quick. Interesting note that one of us deemed it a ranking of 113. These type of tracks were preferred by one of us compared to the other 3. Maybe they are a muso and appreciate the doodling more than the other 3 of us. Very soon some us get our top 100 touched while we are still in the 200s. The first time any of us get our top 50 raided is at #173 and its one of mine. The rest of us lose our top 50 cherry at #162, #145 and #115

Next Up, we go back to the B Sides
I don’t have a problem with this song.   I probably would have had it closer to 113 than to 212.   Mrs APK said “it’s a disappointing song.  Either make it a song or don’t.  They wasted time with this.”

Alright in hindsight, North and South of the river is better than Ave Maria. Not the first time I will see flaws in my rankings of these lesser tunes. 
So many of mine just ended up in tiers and for the bottom groups I didn’t care enough about the songs to spend a lot of time re-order them 

Yeah, I think both “North” songs are lower than they should be, but seriousy they aren’t in the reckoning for top 100 I wouldnt sweat it too much. At this stage we are just judging turds v Stones. The Gold and diamonds are down the track.

I don’t have a problem with this song.   I probably would have had it closer to 113 than to 212.   Mrs APK said “it’s a disappointing song.  Either make it a song or don’t.  They wasted time with this.”
I think most of us feel the same as Mrs APK lol

So many of mine just ended up in tiers and for the bottom groups I didn’t care enough about the songs to spend a lot of time re-order them 
My lowest tier was called “awful” songs. I am still going to be seeing them when we get to the top 100. I had a hard time deciding between my next two tiers of “Boring” and “Flawed”. In the end I decided flawed was more interesting than boring. Some of the “flawed” ones are pretty bad, but I can see what they are trying to do and they have moments that make you pay attention. Boring is Boring. 

This one may surprise

210 - Stranger in a Strange Land (1981)

Highest Rank - 140

Lowest Rank - 219

Where to find it - October LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 153/218 - A Mr. David Bowie would like a word, gentlemen. That said, the song is actually about traveling to Berlin on tour, and is one of the album’s more genuinely interesting and engaging compositions.

Comment - This song is a mess. I don’t really have anything interesting to add so lets see what songfacts says about the song “This song was inspired by an encounter the band had while entering Berlin from East Germany while on their Boytour in February 1981. At the time, East Germany and West Germany were separate countries, and Berlin was divided by the Berlin wall. U2 was sleeping in the back of their tour van when it pulled up to the crossing. The guards, understandably suspicious, made the driver open the back to see what they were smuggling, only to discover a sleepy rock band.
Bono was struck by how young the guards were, and imagined what their lives were like. He wrote the lyric based on this interaction.”

Next Up we return to No Line on the Horizon

209 - Cedars of Lebanon (2009)

Highest Rank - 130

Lowest Rank - 219

Where to find it - No Line on the Horizon LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 117/218 - As much as U2 tried to avoid bringing the war into this record, it was unavoidable, and it definitely creeped into “Cedars of Lebanon,” the thoughts of a war correspondent in the field. It’s an interesting close to this record — not a hymn or any kind of uplifting thought, but instead a reminder of the outside world, which everyone on the record is running from in some fashion. It’s a series of images narrated against a low-key, ambient background

Comment - For all the bombast this album has, this is just such an understated song to close it. I mean its not a bad song and I can see why someone rates it higher, but the simplicity of this song sometimes means it can appear bland or boring.

Next up we have our first track from the Zooropa LP

208 - Babyface (1993)

Highest Rank - 155

Lowest Rank - 218

Where to find it - Zooropa LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 184/218 - An ode to the many supermodels who began keeping company with U2 in the ’90s. It’s a sweet little love song.

Comment - i’m the highest ranking here. Didn’t realise it was so detested. Just doesnt do much. Fits the vibe of the album, but eminently forgettable

Next Up we return to Songs of Experience.

The admin to Date

B-Sides = 12 (5 covers)

October = 2

No Line On The Horizon = 2

Soundtracks - 1

Songs of Experience = 1

Boy - 1

Zooropa - 1

209 - Cedars of Lebanon (2009)

Highest Rank - 130

Lowest Rank - 219

Where to find it - No Line on the Horizon LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 117/218 - As much as U2 tried to avoid bringing the war into this record, it was unavoidable, and it definitely creeped into “Cedars of Lebanon,” the thoughts of a war correspondent in the field. It’s an interesting close to this record — not a hymn or any kind of uplifting thought, but instead a reminder of the outside world, which everyone on the record is running from in some fashion. It’s a series of images narrated against a low-key, ambient background

Comment - For all the bombast this album has, this is just such an understated song to close it. I mean its not a bad song and I can see why someone rates it higher, but the simplicity of this song sometimes means it can appear bland or boring.

Next up we have our first track from the Zooropa LP
I have deep deep dislike for this song.   It reminds me of going to a bad poetry slam.

208 - Babyface (1993)

Highest Rank - 155

Lowest Rank - 218

Where to find it - Zooropa LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 184/218 - An ode to the many supermodels who began keeping company with U2 in the ’90s. It’s a sweet little love song.

Comment - i’m the highest ranking here. Didn’t realise it was so detested. Just doesnt do much. Fits the vibe of the album, but eminently forgettable

Next Up we return to Songs of Experience.
Ah, Zooropa.  This was one of the songs that almost made Mrs APK stop listening to U2 altogether.  Poorly conceived, poorly constructed, poorly produced, poorly performed.  Is there anything remotely redeeming about this song?

I would rather listen to The Ocean on a never ending loop for a whole night than listen to this song 6 times in an evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, Zooropa.  This was one of the songs that almost made Mrs APK stop listening to U2 altogether.  Poorly conceived, poorly constructed, poorly produced, poorly performed.  Is there anything remotely redeeming about this song?

I would rather listen to The Ocean on a never ending loop for a whole night than listen to this song 6 times in an evening.
I was lowest on Babyface I think, and I still had the Ocean not make my top 200.   

Even though it was a big dropoff from Achtung Baby, there is a charm about Zooropa that is kind of appealing. That said, the songwriting is pretty inconsistent, and Babyface is easily the worst of the lot.  Without a doubt, one of the true clunkers that ever made a U2 studio album.

Even though it was a big dropoff from Achtung Baby, there is a charm about Zooropa that is kind of appealing. That said, the songwriting is pretty inconsistent, and Babyface is easily the worst of the lot.  Without a doubt, one of the true clunkers that ever made a U2 studio album.
Zooropa made me appreciate Pop more as well.

207 - The Blackout (2017)

Highest Rank - 148

Lowest Rank - 208

Where to find it - Songs of Experience

Vulture.com ranking and comment - Not listed

Comment - U2 trying to sound like throwback U2 to Boy/War era. Not effective. Sometimes bands get nostalgic for how they used to sound, try and recreate and it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. Nevermind, we move on.

Next up we return to a soundtrack song

206 - Stateless (2000)

Highest Rank - 83

Lowest Rank - 214

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 162/218 - “There were a couple of U2 songs there, and a couple that might have become U2 songs, but they were the kind of atmospheric, mid-tempo pieces that we come up with quite easily,” said Adam Clayton, which exactly characterizes this track.

Comment - This is one of a few fascinating ranking anomalies. Three of us ranked this in our bottom 20, but saving it from the bottom 2 or 3 was the ranker who had it at 83. This is the same one who either loves these “atmospheric, mid tempo pieces” or appreciates the musicianship more than the rest of us, perhaps because they are a muso themselves. Would love for them to chime in and discuss further. I’m thoroughly fascinated. PM Me info if you’d rather be anonymous.

Next up back to the B Sides

205 - Bass Trap (1985)

Highest Rank - 59

Lowest Rank -227

Where to find it - B Side to the Unforgettable Fire single

Vulture.com ranking and comment - It’s a pretty instrumental that originated from a bass line from Adam Clayton that Eno fed through some kind of processor. Perfectly acceptable as a B-side.

Comment - This has an even bigger difference between the lowest and the highest ranking. Three of us have it in our bottom 25 and one all the way up at 59. My comment is an uninteresting doodling with instruments, but theres gotta be more to it than that. 

Next up, back to the War album and then a couple more B Sides.

205 - Bass Trap (1985)

Highest Rank - 59

Lowest Rank -227

Vulture.com ranking and comment - It’s a pretty instrumental that originated from a bass line from Adam Clayton that Eno fed through some kind of processor. Perfectly acceptable as a B-side.

Comment - This has an even bigger difference between the lowest and the highest ranking. Three of us have it in our bottom 25 and one all the way up at 59. My comment is an uninteresting doodling with instruments, but theres gotta be more to it than that. 

It’s a lovely sound.  If it wasn’t U2, I would enjoy hearing it as background music somewhere.  Maybe at a dinner party in someone’s house.   It definitely wouldn’t make my top-100, but it also isn’t bottom-25 for me. 

Would like to hear why others do/don’t like it.

Highest Rank - 148

Lowest Rank - 208

Comment - U2 trying to sound like throwback U2 to Boy/War era. Not effective. Sometimes bands get nostalgic for how they used to sound, try and recreate and it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. Nevermind, we move on.

The lyrics are boring and the music has no soul.  Glad to see it ranked 207.

205 - Bass Trap (1985)

Highest Rank - 59

Lowest Rank -227

Love this for what it is. Better than 4th of July, which I also like for what it is. If you don't care about the production style of Brian Eno, this won't have much appeal. 

205 - Bass Trap (1985)

Highest Rank - 59

Lowest Rank -227

Enya with some folksy guitar. I liked the ad jingle on YouTube better than this song. 

221 - Pop Muzik

Highest Rank - 160

Lowest Rank - 228

Vulture.com ranking and comment - Not rated

Comment - Probably more apt as an intro to the band coming on stage for the Pop tour. Recording and sticking it on an offical release was unnecessary. As a piece of music its interesting compared to the original. Worse somgs here but is it really U2? This is the first song that was the lowest ranked by one of us. The next ones come in at 213, 167 and 156

Next Up another B side
I like this one.

Highest Rank - 148

Lowest Rank - 208

The Blackout is an odd one in that it sounds completely lifeless on the studio album, but sounds great in the live video they shot in a small club: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaJCFHXcWmM

Call it cheating, but it's almost like the song need the roar of a live crowd to fill in the gaps and give the song the atmosphere it needed.   Thanks to the wonders of the internet and those YouTube to MP3 sites, I have a HQ rip of that version and that is the one I always go to when I want to hear that song. 

It’s a lovely sound.  If it wasn’t U2, I would enjoy hearing it as background music somewhere.  Maybe at a dinner party in someone’s house.   It definitely wouldn’t make my top-100, but it also isn’t bottom-25 for me. 

Would like to hear why others do/don’t like it.
As we go through this, I will pop up the complete u2 Spotify list to find song X. Then I will hear a few more songs on random from the list. I heard Bass Trap the other day and I was hoping I had it ranked high and I did. 

I really like this tune. One, I will probably over rate unforgettable fire throughout this countdown cause of nostalgia and it was my first entry to the band. Second, I always "like" different songs based on the vibe and the sound ; I rarely pay attention to the lyrics or the meaning of a song. 

I stick with my high rating on this one. It's a good tune. 

And yeah I'm the outlier on Stateless too. I like the tonal vibe of it. I'm not a musician, but obviously I'm listening for something else. I may have it a smidge higher than deserved but I'll stick with the 100 to 120 tier. 

I also like the Passengers soundtrack project thing they did. 

I like this one.
My concern with Pop Muzik is not the song itself, it was number one in the UK, Australia etc for “M” it’s just that i cant see or hear the U2 stamp on it. How do i know its not the original and some producer doing their magic?

The Blackout is an odd one in that it sounds completely lifeless on the studio album, but sounds great in the live video they shot in a small club: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaJCFHXcWmM

Call it cheating, but it's almost like the song need the roar of a live crowd to fill in the gaps and give the song the atmosphere it needed.   Thanks to the wonders of the internet and those YouTube to MP3 sites, I have a HQ rip of that version and that is the one I always go to when I want to hear that song. 
U2 have many songs that are dead, overproduced or boring on an LP. In a live setting they can come to life. Dare I say Sunday Bloody Sunday fits this. For me Vertigo was in the “Fly”, “Desire” and “Discoteque” first single vibes that I didnt enjoy that much, even the first time they played it live in the set I was meh. The second time they played it in the same set, something just worked. Hard to explain. I mean really, why would a band with the catalog of U2 play the same song twice in a set? It doesnt make any sense,. But they knew it worked too, 

And yeah I'm the outlier on Stateless too. I like the tonal vibe of it. I'm not a musician, but obviously I'm listening for something else. I may have it a smidge higher than deserved but I'll stick with the 100 to 120 tier. 

I also like the Passengers soundtrack project thing they did. 
Thanks for the explanation. I really enjoy when one of us has an outlier. Especially if they can explain it. Makes me reevaluate a track. Im already wishing id redone the two “North” Tracks. 

If at any stage one of the rankers dosnt want to explain publicly about an outlier, PM me. I get fascinated to find out exactly what Ive missed. 

204 - Red Light (1983)

Highest Rank - 160

Lowest Rank - 194

Where to find it - War LP

Vulture.com comment and ranking - 158/218 - The most believable account of what this song is actually about is Bono mentioning something about Amsterdam and the red-light district, which would be understandably mind-blowing to a bunch of kids from still-sexually-conservative Ireland. The trumpet is courtesy Kenny Fradley of Kid Creole and the Coconuts (who sing backing vox), who just happened to be in town. It’s not a terrible song, but it’s not a great one either. Points for trying to do something different with it.

Comment - Sounds like it was recorded at the last second or at the end of a tired day. We all are very close in our ranking, which is much harder at the bottom of the list than the top. This is the first track than none of us have ranked in the 200s, but we all think it’s mediocre.

Next up, back to the B Sides

203 - Can’t Help Falling in Love (1994)

Highest Rank - 66

Lowest Rank - 227

Where to find it - Who’s gonna ride your wild horses B Side

Vulture.com comment and ranking - Not ranked

Comment - This track was ranked bottom 6 by 2 of us. Then we have a 66 ranking lifting it from the bottom. I’m one of the bottom 6 people. Sometimes its difficult to trash a classic, sometimes like here its easy. It seems like the mission was to make it as bad as possible. Mission accomplished. I am though thoroughly fascinated by the very high ranking. Maybe its very personal, or they enjoy this cover. Would love to hear. 

Next up another B Side

202 - Endless Deep (1983)

Highest Rank - 151

Lowest Rank - 216

Where to find it - B Side to Two Hearts Beat as One

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 198/218 - An atmospheric, almost tribal instrumental that’s basically a bass solo. Adam also sings lead vocals, such as they are.

Comment - Early B side. Raw. Sounds line a tuneup rather than a song. I am not going to have a big write up for every song, so if anyone else has songs they want to talk about, hit me up and i can let you do the post, with the same format

Next up we make our first trip to the Pop LP for the last track that doesn’t make the top 200. Then we have our first trip to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.....sort of. Then back to a couple more B Sides. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The admin to Date

B-Sides = 15 (6 covers)

October = 2

No Line On The Horizon = 2

Songs of Experience = 2

Soundtracks - 2

Boy - 1

Zooropa - 1

War - 1

I know you've already started the countdown but I may submit my list anyway. Some more time would probably get more list. 

The idea was to make it as smarmy as possible for Bono's Mephisto character, who appeared in the encores of the Zoo TV tour, to sing. It carried over to the recording. 
I can see that. Makes sense. Still, its a musical car crash for me.

I know you've already started the countdown but I may submit my list anyway. Some more time would probably get more list. 
I waited 18 days for lists. If people were in touch with me, i would have been happy to extend further. The more the merrier.

I can include your list under 2 conditions

1) you accept the rankings of 228-202 and do not include these songs in your list

2) you get in touch with me via PM with your list asap, or at least in contact first. I can put further listings on hold if you have a list soon.

If you do rate any song 228-202 much higher, and i would expect that to be the case, comment on the relevant post and state your piece. 

if either of these is not possible, all good. I would ask you to refrain from posting your list publicly until we are finished. You are welcome to comment as the songs come up.

Thanks for joining in.

The vocal is fantastic.  

203 - Can’t Help Falling in Love (1994)

Highest Rank - 66

Lowest Rank - 227

Where to find it - Who’s gonna ride your wild horses B Side

Vulture.com comment and ranking - Not ranked

Comment - This track was ranked bottom 6 by 2 of us. Then we have a 66 ranking lifting it from the bottom. I’m one of the bottom 6 people. Sometimes its difficult to trash a classic, sometimes like here its easy. It seems like the mission was to make it as bad as possible. Mission accomplished. I am though thoroughly fascinated by the very high ranking. Maybe its very personal, or they enjoy this cover. Would love to hear. 

Next up another B Side
Live in 1993

fond memories of this version (or similar) from my senior year of high school. I was amazed at the range of Bono’s voice and ability to hold notes.  My rankings will definitely be based more on how I enjoy and remember the songs - familiarity is going to skew my rankings. 

I can see that. Makes sense. Still, its a musical car crash for me.

I waited 18 days for lists. If people were in touch with me, i would have been happy to extend further. The more the merrier.

I can include your list under 2 conditions

1) you accept the rankings of 228-202 and do not include these songs in your list

2) you get in touch with me via PM with your list asap, or at least in contact first. I can put further listings on hold if you have a list soon.

If you do rate any song 228-202 much higher, and i would expect that to be the case, comment on the relevant post and state your piece. 

if either of these is not possible, all good. I would ask you to refrain from posting your list publicly until we are finished. You are welcome to comment as the songs come up.

Thanks for joining in.
I can't get a list together that quick. I'll just keep enjoying the composite rankings. 

Thanks for doing this. 

Live in 1993

fond memories of this version (or similar) from my senior year of high school. I was amazed at the range of Bono’s voice and ability to hold notes.  My rankings will definitely be based more on how I enjoy and remember the songs - familiarity is going to skew my rankings. 
No issue with that. Thanks for posting. I still can’t stand it lol

I can't get a list together that quick. I'll just keep enjoying the composite rankings. 

Thanks for doing this. 
Doing a top 50, even top 100 is easy enough. It’s when you have to decide between Landlady and Tomorrow that you lose your freaking mind.

Users who are viewing this thread