What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick a Pair/Half Decade Album Draft - Bonus Rounds Thu & Fri - Pick three if you want (1 Viewer)

Now playing:  Be Yourself Tonight

Eurythmics is one of those words that always looks misspelled to me
I'm on track 6.  Elvis Costello is harmonizing.

Picking just one track for a playlist is going to be a bear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now playing:  Be Yourself Tonight

Eurythmics is one of those words that always looks misspelled to me
Rhythm always looks misspelled to me because of Eurythmics.

I am not sure of the exact judging criteria here, but I am going to take something off the wall:

Michael Jackson, Off The Wall, 1979 and Thriller, 1982
No judging in this draft.

ok, on to plan b. maybe this scarcity thing applies to me after all. 
Yeah, I considered five bands/artists for the original pick. Marvin Gaye was one of them, but I was honest with myself that I wasn't as in love with his other stuff, album-wise, as I was What's Going On. So you're getting a lot of people thinking similarly, and the albums you think are sticking around aren't.

ok, on to plan b. maybe this scarcity thing applies to me after all. 
Yeah, I considered five bands/artists for the original pick. Marvin Gaye was one of them, but I was honest with myself that I wasn't as in love with his other stuff, album-wise, as I was What's Going On. So you're getting a lot of people thinking similarly, and the albums you think are sticking around aren't.

I don't think I've ever listened to I Want You until right now. If I had, we might have made another baby.

It's a groovy record with kind of a murky sound with lots of stuff buried. in the mix. I always associate this style of production with cocaine.

Glad it got drafted because I never would have listened to it today otherwise.

1.12--Steely Dan Can't Buy a Thrill (1972) and Aja (1977)

Write up to follow shortly.

@KarmaPolice
I'm following my own compass this draft  and went with what I thought was popular enough to not fall to the 2nd round.  Anyway...

Sometime in '71, my parents bought a travel trailer and my grandparents went in with them on adjacent lots at a campground near Fredericksburg, VA.  From '71-'76, we went there at least once a year, and it was the Summer of '73 when the cool sounds of Do it Again played over the PA at the pool there. 

By '77, the trailer had been relegated to filling up our driveway and serving as my auxiliary playroom. I can also still hear the upbeat Peg in the background adding some bounce to my building Lego spacehips without a care in the world.

Steely Dan were never a top listen for me until the waning years of my college career, and by my mid-20's, I had consumed their entire catalog and added many cuts rarely/never played on the radio to my mixtapes, many of which came from Can't Buy a Thrill. I never really paid much attention to the chronology of the albums, and it wasn't even until recently that I learned that Do it Again was their very first single ever.  Now when I hear it with that tidbit in mind, I can almost hear all of the greatness they would achieve over the following years in that one song.

As for Aja, the title track has been a favorite listen since I was 19 or so. I always get pieces of some epic story the song is telling, but it always dissolves when he sings Angular banjos sound good to me.

Oh, and happy birthday, @KarmaPolice.

Aja was the only I album I ever won for being the right caller to phone the radio station.
I'm going to be taking the album I won by being the right caller is gong to be my 5th round pick. FWIW, I'm going to mention that in my writeup. There's a whole other story I've been meaning to write about the album I didn't choose.  I don't really have a lot of interesting stories to tell about my upbringing, but that one comes close, if I can tell it right.

I don't think I've ever listened to I Want You until right now. If I had, we might have made another baby.

It's a groovy record with kind of a murky sound with lots of stuff buried. in the mix. I always associate this style of production with cocaine.

Glad it got drafted because I never would have listened to it today otherwise.

I've actually heard it because of Uruk. The album cover is so remarkably familiar to me, because I come at it from a '90s hip hop perspective. I know it's homage to the Harlem Renaissance - both - but that's the frame of reference I have.

Marvin Gaye

Camp Lo

I've actually heard it because of Uruk. The album cover is so remarkably familiar to me, because I come at it from a '90s hip hop perspective. I know it's homage to the Harlem Renaissance - both - but that's the frame of reference I have.

Marvin Gaye

Camp Lo

Big Marvin Gaye fan.  Loved it when it came out ...and really hit home when Todd recorded it on his Bossa Nova covers album "Todd With A Twist."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WpZAfW-oGA

With a Twist... is a 1997 album by Todd Rundgren. Asked to produce an album of new versions of his older singles, Rundgren decided to record the songs in Bossa nova style with elements of Exotica, complete with tropical bird call effects at the beginning of "Hello, It's Me" similar to Martin Denny's recording Quiet Village. Continuing the theme, Rundgren toured theaters with a replica of a tiki bar, the performers on a very small stage with selected audience members being seated at tables also on the theater stage, and being served drinks by the monitor engineer/bartender. The performers never acknowledged the larger theater audience, and the show ended when the last "bar patron" left the stage.

i did. i've commished a lot of chaos. there's an amenable solution if you want. we split the first corner. you take over my draft spot, i take over yours, or somn like that. moves me up once, moves you up once. 
Honestly I'll just stay put.  You are not really in the middle anyway.  Now I just have to hope my pick falls.

Aja was the only I album I ever won for being the right caller to phone the radio station.

ETA: I probably mentioned this in a previous draft but not much is happening these days. 

I won a stereo (with cassette player built right in!) and a copy of Paradise Theatre by Styx, though it was a Rockline magazine quiz instead.  Be envious.  Very, very envious.  Pretty sure I've mentioned this one before, too.

🎂 for KP!

Users who are viewing this thread