What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick a Pair/Half Decade Album Draft - Bonus Rounds Thu & Fri - Pick three if you want (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
As last week's abortive 2010s draft showed, we've done every possible album draft including an all-time DID draft just last summer.  But undaunted, I came up with a gimmick that may not revolutionize music drafts but should at least scramble things up a little.

Presenting The Pick a Pair / Half Decade  Album Draft. Rules in post 2 & 3

LINK TO DRAFT SHEET

Link to individual playlists

Rockaction  https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3AtwerONQWpOIJ8TlWg8Y7?si=0544cc5ce5cc4d62
ilov80s https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6SbhQW68MXHGyCEhCrw1c2?si=d0dbfab9915a480d
Raging weasel https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1xuxUffPBEa83aBEiRldl6
Dr. Octopus https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0IbLKg4RMuG4D7xdsx8wtZ
pip's invitation https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4vPPc9s4PvJ4qpQCzlPqWj
landrys hat https://open.spotify.com/playlist/06NzQ6ufzlkUbQ1vignSdX?si=b9488d03cebe48ea

Yo Mama https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1RIXDENqIgZCDpKJV8N7h4

DRAFT ORDER

HellToupee
the moops
Rockaction
krista4
Eephus
Chaos Commish
higgins
Mrs. Rannous
Raging weasel
Sinn Fein
landrys hat
Charlie Steiner
Karma Police
El Floppo
ilov80s
Northern Voice
Steve Tasker
Dr. Octopus
timschochet
Doug B
PIK95
pip's invitation
Yo Mama
zamboni
rcam

Last edited by a moderator:
Presenting The Pick a Pair / Half Decade  Album Draft

1. Drafters select TWO albums each round from a single artist but they must have been released in different half decades.

2. Half decades start with zeros and fives, e.g. 1980-84, 2005-09. The entire 1950s and 2020s are considered eligible half decades.

3. The rules create some scarcity and prevent every Beatles and Led Zeppelin album from being drafted.  Artists with extended runs of excellence gain an advantage as well as those whose prime luckily landed on the cusp of a new half-decade.  Some pantheon artists' catalogs get thin fast under these rules.

4. Optional Nerd achievement points for the most and least half-decades represented, as well as blocking out previously drafted artists. Write-ups comparing and contrasting the two albums are always welcome.

5. Since each round consists of two picks, it'll probably be a relatively short draft of ten rounds (twenty albums) so choose wisely.  But we've been bad about ending music drafts on time since the beginning of the pandemic.

6. The usual music draft rules apply re: live albums, compilations, etc. so forget about Hey Jude and Coda.

The fine print

Allmusic, Discogs and Wikipedia are authoritative regarding release dates.  Spotify is not.

• Compilations (e.g. greatest hits, soundtracks, singles/rarities collections) are ineligible.
  • Half decade eligibility for live albums is based on date recorded not date released.
  • Catalogs of solo artists include albums made with a named backing band (e.g. TP and the Heartbreakers, EC and the Attractions)
  • Krista's rule: Wings is considered solo Paul
  • Pip's rule: CSN and CSNY are equivalent

You'd be getting a better response, but you're on a football site an hour away from the season opener.

You'd figure everybody would be here, but they're getting ready for the game or something.

I'm getting pizza! What about all y'all?!

rockaction said:
You'd be getting a better response, but you're on a football site an hour away from the season opener.

You'd figure everybody would be here, but they're getting ready for the game or something.

I'm getting pizza! What about all y'all?!
Watching at home. I’m east coast so had dinner well before.

I am dumb apparently. Why can't The Beatles or Zeppelin be chosen?

They can but their half decades are limited.

Beatles have the early and late 60s covered but only one album released in the early 70s.  LZ has two 60s albums plus three from both the early and late 70s.  Since we're picking two at a time, they should get closed out pretty quickly.

There are a bunch of bands that can only be drafted once or twice.

Eephus said:
3. The rules create some scarcity and prevent every Beatles and Led Zeppelin album from being drafted.  Artists with extended runs of excellence gain an advantage as well as those whose prime luckily landed on the cusp of a new half-decade.  Some pantheon artists' catalogs get thin fast under these rules.
In, but the wording of this is confusing. I presume what you mean is that the Beatles 1965-69 picks will be constrained by how often they can be paired with something from 1960-64 or 1970-74. 

So they don’t have to be within the same decade, right? Like I could taken an album by Pat Boone from 69 and one from 81? 

In, but the wording of this is confusing. I presume what you mean is that the Beatles 1965-69 picks will be constrained by how often they can be paired with something from 1960-64 or 1970-74. 

The rules themselves are very simple.

The Led Zeppelin and Beatles examples show the rules create scarcity. Their catalogs would get cleaned out in a regular all-time draft but a bunch of classics will become undraftable as things progress. Strategize accordingly.

Apologies to Gram Parsons, Derek & the Dominos, etc. who will have to sit this one out.

So they don’t have to be within the same decade, right? Like I could taken an album by Pat Boone from 69 and one from 81? 

Yes. The two albums have to come from different half-decades. Doesn't matter if they're adjacent or separated by a generation.

Pat Boone from 69 

Nice

Since this is a relatively brief draft as far as FFA music drafts go ... I can jump in.
yup, same. didn't see it until eeph notified me. my first thought was, no no, I'll just draft albums i have drafted before, like trick of the tail, because only two of us seem to love it so much. each half decade would then make this reduntant chaos outliers. but as you say, should be quick, and i'm going to try to avoid the obvious for all and the obvious for me. 

IN

They can but their half decades are limited.

Beatles have the early and late 60s covered but only one album released in the early 70s.  LZ has two 60s albums plus three from both the early and late 70s.  Since we're picking two at a time, they should get closed out pretty quickly.

There are a bunch of bands that can only be drafted once or twice.
Can both albums be from the same decade? Like 91 and 99?

We're currently at 17

Eephus
Rockaction
Dr. Octopus
Northern Voice
krista4
timschochet
the moops
Mrs. Rannous
HellToupee
El Floppo
ilov80s
Sinn Fein
Doug B
Raging weasel
pip's invitation
Chaos Commish
higgins

I haven't gamed the scarcity rules out beyond a handful of cases. 20 drafters would equate to 400 albums which seems doable :shrug:

If you have enough already, I'll gladly watch from the sidelines; if you think you can handle another and need someone to finish last, I'm in.

Preciate the @ but we got massacred with resignations once returning to the office this summer and as a result I am currently doing 4 plus jobs at once during our busiest time of year. I have been respectfully declining invites to just about everything for months and don't anticipate that changing anytime soon. Hopefully I can join in the next one though. These are fun.

Eephus, it looks like there are plenty of participants in this one, and I'm going to be out of town Thursday to Sunday,  so I'm going to sit this one out. I'll probably jump in on the next one. 

Preciate the @ but we got massacred with resignations once returning to the office this summer and as a result I am currently doing 4 plus jobs at once during our busiest time of year. I have been respectfully declining invites to just about everything for months and don't anticipate that changing anytime soon. Hopefully I can join in the next one though. These are fun.
That's tough, MAC. I hope you get some relief sooner than later.

Users who are viewing this thread