What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick a Pair/Half Decade Album Draft - Bonus Rounds Thu & Fri - Pick three if you want (1 Viewer)

Somewhere in this draft a drafter (sorry forget whom) expressed how cool it is to enjoy the same music as his 14 year old. Yeah, when mine was 14 it was the same. Good times. I hope his doesn't fall into the pop culture mainstream the way mine did. Good luck with that.
One of my kids share some of my musical tastes , Bowie, classic punk/new wave and glam, the rest don’t. I think back to when I was 14 I would have been better off with my mother finding a playboy in my room then some of the “subversive “ albums I had to keep hidden. Good times. Times were certainly different then. My dad listened to Conway Twitty, Buck Owens and traditional Irish music

Last edited by a moderator:
Round 7

Being There - Wilco (1996)

Sky Blue Sky - Wilco (2007)

Misunderstood

I Got You (At the End of the Century)

Either Way

What Light

I called Wilco "my favorite new band" for about 20 years, until I just started calling them "one of my favorite bands". Being There is a top 20 favorite for me. Sky Blue Sky is a great summer porch record - it may be an odd comparison but it truly reminds me of a classic Grateful Dead album, that hasn't been drafted yet but was a big part of tim's top 100 of 1970 list.

@timschochet

Because of my friends who love them- who's tastes I respect and generally share- I feel like I'll eventually come around to Wilco. But so far it just doesn't connect with me. Don't dislike, just don't gravitate towards it.

Because of my friends who love them- who's tastes I respect and generally share- I feel like I'll eventually come around to Wilco. But so far it just doesn't connect with me. Don't dislike, just don't gravitate towards it.
Same here. I like them whenever I listen and I did listen pretty regularly in the early 00s when I was really getting into new music in college. However, I don't find myself going back to them. Not sure what it is. 

The Band

Music from the Big Pink (1968)

“The Weight”

”I Shall Be Released”

The Last Waltz (1976)

“The Night They Drove Ol’ Dixie Down” 

“It Makes No Difference” 

Lots to love here. 
I was really surprised bu them still being undrafted and taking The Last Waltz hadn't even crossed my mind. That's a great pairing. 

timschochet said:
The Band

Music from the Big Pink (1968)

“The Weight”

”I Shall Be Released”

The Last Waltz (1976)

“The Night They Drove Ol’ Dixie Down” 

“It Makes No Difference” 

Lots to love here. 
I was contemplating these, but trying to stick with no live albums. Great stuff to be sure though.

Yea, the no live albums took The Band out of it for me. If I knew The Last Waltz was allowed I would have taken them round 2
The distinction seems to be live albums from a single show or tour are allowed but live albums that compile shows from multiple eras are not. 

Excited this is still around since I almost took it last round. 

From the mid-90s to the early- aughts, these guys dominated So Cal summers. Skaters, surfers. Beach people, lake people. Wannabe white kid stoners, real stoners. (Mostly stoners). Wannabe reggae white kids, wannabe hip-hopish white kids. Whether it was on a boat, at the beach, at a bbq, or at a club, you’d hear songs from one of these albums. 

I’ve taken the eponymous album or songs from it in enough of these drafts, I’m leaving most of the biggies off the list. Yo Mama selects:

Sublime

40oz to Freedom - 1992

Smoke Two Joints

We’re Only Going to Die for Our Arrogance

BONUS: Badfish 

BONUS: Date Rape

Sublime - 1996

Pawn Shop

Under my Voodoo

BONUS: Doin’ Time (couldn’t resist)

Excited this is still around since I almost took it last round. 

From the mid-90s to the early- aughts, these guys dominated So Cal summers. Skaters, surfers. Beach people, lake people. Wannabe white kid stoners, real stoners. (Mostly stoners). Wannabe reggae white kids, wannabe hip-hopish white kids. Whether it was on a boat, at the beach, at a bbq, or at a club, you’d hear songs from one of these albums. 

I’ve taken the eponymous album or songs from it in enough of these drafts, I’m leaving most of the biggies off the list. Yo Mama selects:

Sublime

40oz to Freedom - 1992

Smoke Two Joints

We’re Only Going to Die for Our Arrogance

BONUS: Badfish 

BONUS: Date Rape

Sublime - 1996

Pawn Shop

Under my Voodoo

BONUS: Doin’ Time (couldn’t resist)
Never even thought of that.  Great combo too.

Let's not think that I'm being casually sexist when I say that. Sixteenth birthdays were like a huge rock and roll thing when sung by seventeen year old boys. There was definite sexual energy, too.

We're not talking the Nuge here.

Oh stewardess, I speak jam:

The Disco Biscuits are laying down an epic version of the song "Spacebird" somewhere live online.
Spacebirdmatingcall to be specific.  Epic show!  Will have the replay in a bit of anyone wants to see them.

Sunday, September 19, 2021 - Jannus Live, St. Petersburg, FL

I: Rivers, Sister Judy’s Soul Shack, Above the Waves-> Crickets (middle)-> Minions-> Above the Waves

II: Funk Jam-> Munchkin Invasion (unfinished)-> Caterpillar-> Spacebirdmatingcall-> Digital Buddha (ending)

E: Digital Buddha-> Caterpillar

📸 

Sorry for the delay, we had family over for BBQ. 

JONI MITCHELL

Court and Spark (1974)

Hejira (1976)

Songs and writeups later.
Joni's Court and Spark did for her career what Neil's Harvest did for his. It took her from revered singer-songwriter to massively commercially successful artist. Adding light jazz touches to her established folk-rock sound, Court and Spark was by far her most radio-friendly album, spawning two big hits in Help Me and Free Man in Paris, and sounds like a Steely Dan album in spots. Jazz fusion sessioneers such as Tom Scott, Larry Carlton and Joe Sample appear throughout. 

Free Man in Paris

Car on a Hill

Also like Neil, Joni reacted similarly to being thrust into the "middle of the road" spotlight. Her work for the rest of the '70s was much more experimental and paid much less attention to the prevailing commercial winds. She more fully applied jazz arrangements to her songs and enlisted "real" jazz musicians to execute what was in her head. The best of these records is Hejira, written in part while on tour with Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue and in part while on a road trip; for that reason, this is a most excellent road trip album. It began her partnership with fretless bassist Jaco Pastorius, whose style perfectly accentuates the ethereal vibe she was going for. He appears on four of Hejira's tracks, including both of the linked ones below. Also appearing to perform harmonica on "Furry Sings the Blues" is ... Neil Young. 

Coyote

Black Crow

A 7th round synergy note: Joni performed Coyote and Furry Sings the Blues at The Last Waltz, with Neil reprising his harmonica part on the latter. 

I have no idea who is up - or if any of those entries were taken - apologies if so - just going by the spreadsheet, which may not be up to date.

Users who are viewing this thread