What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dinner ideas for 20 hungry golfers (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
We have a big Bandon Dunes trip next week.  Rented a huge house, so dinners will be in 5 of the 6 nights.  I got elected to do dinner one night.  One guy is doing chili (I'll be sending him a recipe 😉).  Another guy doing thick pork chops.  Another guy is having a caterer bring in Mexican.  I was going to do chicken enchiladas before I found out the Mexican night as I can slay them.  But 2 nights of Mexican seems a bit much.  Options I'm considering include a baked ziti with sauce from scratch, Italian sausage, garlic bread and salad.  Could also get a bunch of steaks from Costco and grill those with sides. Any other ideas I should be considering? I really don't know what I'll have with respect to kitchen gear.  Also not a huge amount of time to prep and cook. Couple of hours tops. Bonus points for anything I can make ahead of time.  Suggestions?

We have a big Bandon Dunes trip next week.  Rented a huge house, so dinners will be in 5 of the 6 nights.  I got elected to do dinner one night.  One guy is doing chili (I'll be sending him a recipe 😉).  Another guy doing thick pork chops.  Another guy is having a caterer bring in Mexican.  I was going to do chicken enchiladas before I found out the Mexican night as I can slay them.  But 2 nights of Mexican seems a bit much.  Options I'm considering include a baked ziti with sauce from scratch, Italian sausage, garlic bread and salad.  Could also get a bunch of steaks from Costco and grill those with sides. Any other ideas I should be considering? I really don't know what I'll have with respect to kitchen gear.  Also not a huge amount of time to prep and cook. Couple of hours tops. Bonus points for anything I can make ahead of time.  Suggestions?
Some sort of ziti/lasagna always works well.

Easy to throw in when you get done with a day of golf while people shower and all.  Throw a couple salads in....

I do them for our beach trips every year now.  Make them the week before...freeze them.  Then drive down not worrying if they thaw a bit...leave them in the fridge and cook them up one of the nights at the beach.

Ahhhh, Oregon Coasties.....

Not a whole lot around Bandon.  Coos Bay is your biggest 'town' nearby.  Lasagna would be great, but like you said, you don't know what you have for kitchen supplies.  There's a Walmart Super Store near enough to Bandon, probably your best bet for groceries.   Maybe load up on some steak, chicken, pork, shrimp and veggies and get some wooden skewers.  I assume you'll have access to a grill?  Make up a bunch of kabobs.  Marinate the meats ahead of time, cube 'em up, thread 'em have a bunch of different kabobs for the taking.  Peppers, onions, pineapple, shrooms maybe some little potatoes.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/build-your-own-shish-kabobs-recipe-1951931

Ahhhh, Oregon Coasties.....

Not a whole lot around Bandon.  Coos Bay is your biggest 'town' nearby.  Lasagna would be great, but like you said, you don't know what you have for kitchen supplies.  There's a Walmart Super Store near enough to Bandon, probably your best bet for groceries.   Maybe load up on some steak, chicken, pork, shrimp and veggies and get some wooden skewers.  I assume you'll have access to a grill?  Make up a bunch of kabobs.  Marinate the meats ahead of time, cube 'em up, thread 'em have a bunch of different kabobs for the taking.  Peppers, onions, pineapple, shrooms maybe some little potatoes.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/build-your-own-shish-kabobs-recipe-1951931
I've lived in NJ my entire life and have never been to Oregon 😂

There isn't a whole lot around Bandon Dunes.   
They're fun to make homemade, too, but he said he didn't have a lot of time and it's pretty much an all-day thing from prep-to-belly doing it that way.

I didn't realize they weren't many options where he's going. I just looked at a map, saw a ton of water close by, and figured there'd be seafood joints galore. 

They're fun to make homemade, too, but he said he didn't have a lot of time and it's pretty much an all-day thing from prep-to-belly doing it that way.

I didn't realize they weren't many options where he's going. I just looked at a map, saw a ton of water close by, and figured there'd be seafood joints galore. 

There is a ton of sea life and fisherman and options to catch crabs and go clamming and all the fun stuff you can do living by the ocean.  But much of that is further north and while I wish there were seafood joints galore, it's kind of spotty.  Every little Oregon town on the coast will have 1)  Mexican joint 2) a pizza place 3) a dive bar that will still smell like smoke despite the fact that a smoking ban was put in place 10 years ago.  But they WILL have Keno!  And video poker, but there will be an old timer or two glued into those from open to close.  

GOOD Seafood joints can get very busy and hard to find a table and this was prior to COVID.  Coos Bay might have a few, but the only thing I've done in Coos Bay is try to drive as fast possible through it.  The little markets selling fresh seafood won't cut you a break on price, but you're paying for the freshness.  The best bet is to get on a charter boat and do the bottom fishing/crabbing trip from 6am to noon.  You'll get rockfish, lingcod, cebezon (they call it the 'mother-in-law' fish because they are so ugly :lmao:  ) and dungeness crab.  A good trip out can set you up with fish to freeze for months and they'll cook the crab right on the dock for you for a buck or two.  Like you said, the best way to have a clambake/seafood bake is to catch it yourself and then do it up right with a big pot and a bunsen burner, but it's an all day thing and that's what makes it so much fun!  Day long drinking with a nice payoff.  

Now Judge, I'm not saying you fellas are this sort of crew or not, but I must disclose that there is a spot in Coos Bay called "The Bachelor Inn".  A curious man might say "hey guys, are there any adult establishments in the area" and here's where you say - "There is - but I must warn you first....."

Bachelor Inn is the sort of place that employs pregnant dancers, dancers with histories so dark Netflix would be scared of them.  The sort of place where you might get laid you might get stabbed and the odds are 50/50 on what happens first.  The shark play is to play the prop bet at both happening at the same time for +EV.  You might see a peg leg, you might get pegged, NOBODY KNOWS.  A dancer just might have her daughter in the corner doing homework.  Do not go alone.  Do NOT leave a man behind.  Do NOT make eye contact with the bouncer.  

You have been warned.  And I want the story when you get back.  IF you get back. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Low Country Boil.  Pretty damn simple if you got a big pot available.  Potatoes, corn, smoked sausage, shrimp...go crazy if you want with crab legs, mussels, crawfish...whatever...throw it into the boil with some Old Bay, Cajun seasoning, or other favorite crab boil seasoning.  Put the potatoes in first as they take the longest to cook but the whole thing can be done in about 1/2 hour cook time.

Low Country Boil.  Pretty damn simple if you got a big pot available.  Potatoes, corn, smoked sausage, shrimp...go crazy if you want with crab legs, mussels, crawfish...whatever...throw it into the boil with some Old Bay, Cajun seasoning, or other favorite crab boil seasoning.  Put the potatoes in first as they take the longest to cook but the whole thing can be done in about 1/2 hour cook time.
I'm doing this for my son's birthday next weekend.  Just add a couple of loaves of french bread to soak up that delicious broth.

Great idea.  

Some sort of ziti/lasagna always works well.

Easy to throw in when you get done with a day of golf while people shower and all.  Throw a couple salads in....

I do them for our beach trips every year now.  Make them the week before...freeze them.  Then drive down not worrying if they thaw a bit...leave them in the fridge and cook them up one of the nights at the beach.
Yeah, I'd suggest an Italian night. Baked ziti, lasagna, spaghetti with meatballs....maybe a chicken alfredo too if you feel up to.

All is great for leftovers too.

Not sure if you've ever made it or have time to practice, but making a large pot of gumbo could be a hit.  Then add a crawfish boil or do red beans and rice and you can have a relatively easy New Orleans style meal that is sure to please. 

Otherwise, I think lasagna/baked ziti is a good way to go. 

Now Judge, I'm not saying you fellas are this sort of crew or not, but I must disclose that there is a spot in Coos Bay called "The Bachelor Inn".  A curious man might say "hey guys, are there any adult establishments in the area" and here's where you say - "There is - but I must warn you first....."

Bachelor Inn is the sort of place that employs pregnant dancers, dancers with histories so dark Netflix would be scared of them.  The sort of place where you might get laid you might get stabbed and the odds are 50/50 on what happens first.  The shark play is to play the prop bet at both happening at the same time for +EV.  You might see a peg leg, you might get pegged, NOBODY KNOWS.  A dancer just might have her daughter in the corner doing homework.  Do not go alone.  Do NOT leave a man behind.  Do NOT make eye contact with the bouncer.  

You have been warned.  And I want the story when you get back.  IF you get back. 

I'm doing this for my son's birthday next weekend.  Just add a couple of loaves of french bread to soak up that delicious broth.

Great idea.  
🤔

There is a ton of sea life and fisherman and options to catch crabs and go clamming and all the fun stuff you can do living by the ocean.  But much of that is further north and while I wish there were seafood joints galore, it's kind of spotty.  Every little Oregon town on the coast will have 1)  Mexican joint 2) a pizza place 3) a dive bar that will still smell like smoke despite the fact that a smoking ban was put in place 10 years ago.  But they WILL have Keno!  And video poker, but there will be an old timer or two glued into those from open to close.  

GOOD Seafood joints can get very busy and hard to find a table and this was prior to COVID.  Coos Bay might have a few, but the only thing I've done in Coos Bay is try to drive as fast possible through it.  The little markets selling fresh seafood won't cut you a break on price, but you're paying for the freshness.  The best bet is to get on a charter boat and do the bottom fishing/crabbing trip from 6am to noon.  You'll get rockfish, lingcod, cebezon (they call it the 'mother-in-law' fish because they are so ugly :lmao:  ) and dungeness crab.  A good trip out can set you up with fish to freeze for months and they'll cook the crab right on the dock for you for a buck or two.  Like you said, the best way to have a clambake/seafood bake is to catch it yourself and then do it up right with a big pot and a bunsen burner, but it's an all day thing and that's what makes it so much fun!  Day long drinking with a nice payoff.  

Pure gold here!

Winner!! I’ve done versions of this in the past and it could be great with the group

https://damndelicious.net/2017/02/13/sheet-pan-shrimp-boil/

Sounds like Biscos in Emmett , MI

also makes my experience at Chix on Dix* sound pleasant 

*that’s the name of the road it’s on :noban:

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple. Just go buy a fresh whole fish of the appropriate size at the local seafood market. Ask for it scaled, gilled, and gutted. Score the outside and coat with a little olive oil and S & P.  Stuff the cavity with some lemon slices, onions, and a bit of fresh dill. Roast in the oven at 400 F for an hour to hour and a half or until the meat is flaky. Serve it whole and let the guests pick at it with some simple sides and appetizers. They'll likely never have better fish in their lives and you'll be the hero. For bonus points make some fresh tortillas and chop up some onions, jalapeno, and cilantro and let them make tacos. If your friends are a little floofy then make some slaw.

Not sure if you've ever made it or have time to practice, but making a large pot of gumbo could be a hit.  Then add a crawfish boil or do red beans and rice and you can have a relatively easy New Orleans style meal that is sure to please. 

Otherwise, I think lasagna/baked ziti is a good way to go. 
Jambalaya or paella came to mind

Users who are viewing this thread