What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Sunday Ticket still the only way to watch out of market games? (1 Viewer)

just retrain your brain and watch redzone instead.  I wasted ~$150 / year for sunday ticket for ~5 years, and its arguably more fun to watch redzone.

afaik, the only alternatives to sunday ticket are "grey area" overseas websites which probably land you on a priority NSA database (versus generic NSA databases).

I don't really have a good answer to the OP, but I will say that in the early 70s, because of my location (SE Ky), I could watch at least 4 games a week (either 3 early and 1 late, or 2 early and 2 late) and sometimes 5 (3 early and 2 late).  I could pick up games from Louisville, Lexington, Knoxville, and sometimes Bristol (I believe it was).  It is unbelievable that I could watch more games in the 70s than you get today on Sunday without NFL Sunday Ticket.  Having said that, I was able to get free NFL Sunday Ticket this year, along with the Red Zone Channel, as a loyal customer.  Direct TV also gave us $50 off our monthly bill for a year.  No strings attached or contract.

Directv has been giving away Sunday Ticket to some DTV existing customers. This is the 2nd straight year they've given it to me for free, and I read several other FBG's getting it for free this year.

Directv has been giving away Sunday Ticket to some DTV existing customers. This is the 2nd straight year they've given it to me for free, and I read several other FBG's getting it for free this year.
When I had Directtv I’d call every year & threaten to move to Comcast. 

1st thing they’d do is transfer me to retention; and the 1st thing they’d do is offer me HBO, Showtime & Sunday Ticket for free.

easy to beat up on them - it costs them $$$ to replace you as a customer. It costs them nothing to give you programming. 

When I had Directtv I’d call every year & threaten to move to Comcast. 

1st thing they’d do is transfer me to retention; and the 1st thing they’d do is offer me HBO, Showtime & Sunday Ticket for free.

easy to beat up on them - it costs them $$$ to replace you as a customer. It costs them nothing to give you programming. 
Yeah, there's a long thread about customers doing that over the years with varying success. Which is why it's so odd that they've started giving it away to existing customers who never asked for it or threatened to quit.

Yeah, there's a long thread about customers doing that over the years with varying success. Which is why it's so odd that they've started giving it away to existing customers who never asked for it or threatened to quit.
That was the other way I’d do it - call them up saying, “I’ve been a customer for years & you’re just giving sunday ticket away?!”

faux indignant attitude goes a long way. I mean, don’t get all Karen, but a little, ya know?  

You can’t watch… but I’m a big fan of radio, and Sirius has all the nfl broadcasts.

And as a Minnesota Vikings fan living in Texas, I like to put RedZone on and put the Vikings game on the radio.

After 20 years with DTV, we canceled and went to YouTubeTV. I really only had time to watch a recording of RedZone anyway. With YTTV, you pay $11/month for it vs the bajillion dollars to DTV. I would call and get them to knock it down, rarely got it for free. When I called to cancel they did pretty much nothing to save me. It was weird, but everything went to #### once ATT bought them. Glad to be done with spending the money we did on DTV in general but will miss Siciliano. 

You can’t watch… but I’m a big fan of radio, and Sirius has all the nfl broadcasts.

And as a Minnesota Vikings fan living in Texas, I like to put RedZone on and put the Vikings game on the radio.
This is not a bad system. Radio feeds tend to be a little faster so you will see any scores from your team soon after.

I live in Europe so have Gamepass. Pretty easy to figure out how to make Gamepass think you live in Europe, too. :)

But as others said, all bout that red zone, boss. 

I find myself pretty much just watching that on big screen with maybe another game on laptop or iPad. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of votes for red zone. I just haven't been able to get into it. I feel I lose a lot of the context of a player as he relates to the team in general. Like his role and how he looks compared to the other players. How much was he involved in the game plan. How is the team playing overall. Things like that. I'm a big picture guy and like to see it all. It helps me make more informed decisions. 

Last edited by a moderator:
After 20 years with DTV, we canceled and went to YouTubeTV. I really only had time to watch a recording of RedZone anyway. With YTTV, you pay $11/month for it vs the bajillion dollars to DTV. I would call and get them to knock it down, rarely got it for free. When I called to cancel they did pretty much nothing to save me. It was weird, but everything went to #### once ATT bought them. Glad to be done with spending the money we did on DTV in general but will miss Siciliano. 
i was woth them for about ten years and they didn’t do anything to keep me either lol. I’ve been doing the redzone thing for about three years now. I miss watching the actual games I want to see though I’ll tell you that. Hard to root for a specific team not seeing how they played the whole game and also very hard to analyze the rookies only catching glimpse of them on redzone. It was a lot of loot but I def miss it. 

I live in Europe so have Gamepass. Pretty easy to figure out how to make Gamepass think you live in Europe, too. :)

I find myself pretty much just watching that on big screen with maybe another game on laptop or iPad. 
Gamepass or DAZN? Gamepass hasn't existed in Canada for several years now. 

It was weird, but everything went to #### once ATT bought them. Glad to be done with spending the money we did on DTV in general but will miss Siciliano. 
ATT has the WORST customer service in any industry.  I would still get it for free but was tired of paying $80/mo the other 8 months of the year.  Just added Sling w/RZone, hope it works okay today.

That’s crazy. I left before ATT’s takeover, but I’m not surprised ATT’s CS sucked.  

I’d heard in the past that in areas where DTV had a monopoly they’d call folks on their bluff as well. I’m fortunate to live in an area with multiple options so bullying them worked. 

DTV Is way too expensive anyway. 

This is not a bad system. Radio feeds tend to be a little faster so you will see any scores from your team soon after.
On this not. Anyone else have HULU and highly annoyed at how delayed their lice stream is?

Especially for a company that touts themselves with the ad campaign of “Hulu has Live Sports”

I feel like their ad campaign should be “Hulu has 15 second delayed live sports”.

Just pop a gfi outlet. Then tell her you need look for a breaker that fits your panel. Pop of to the sports bar. Then when you get home reset gfi outlet. You might even come off as a hero for fixing the electricity during football… what a guy! 
Genius idea,  but after a few weeks of this she may start to wonder?

So far, so good. Grüstig, von Deutschland!

OK, first weekend watching NFLN RedZone vs DTV. It's......not as good. DTV wins on content. Siciliano, the transitions, coverage, all of it is better than NFLN. That said, still happy with an $11/mo decision.

OK, first weekend watching NFLN RedZone vs DTV. It's......not as good. DTV wins on content. Siciliano, the transitions, coverage, all of it is better than NFLN. That said, still happy with an $11/mo decision.
I agree, the DTV transitions are smoother, NFLN is almost tiring to watch

Users who are viewing this thread