What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car repair issue - 1K fix didn't repair car (1 Viewer)

b-snatchers

Footballguy
Hi,

Looking for some advice.

I brought my car into a car repair place after noticing noise when turning the steering wheel. Further inspection noted that the steering fluid was leaking and almost empty.

Car repair shop diagnosed it as a bad steering pump. It was replaced for 1K.

Fast forward to about 5 days later and sound is back. Inspected steering fluid and it is almost out. Looks like they didn't fix the issue.

Plan on bringing it in this am. What is my play here? Are they responsible to re-imburse me for the cost of the original repair?

b-snatchers said:
Hi,

Looking for some advice.

I brought my car into a car repair place after noticing noise when turning the steering wheel. Further inspection noted that the steering fluid was leaking and almost empty.

Fast forward to about 5 days later and sound is back. Inspected steering fluid and it is almost out. Looks like they didn't fix the issue.

Plan on bringing it in this am. What is my play here? Are they responsible to re-imburse me for the cost of the original repair?
warranty?

b-snatchers said:
Hi,

Looking for some advice.

So a "car repair" place costs you $1,000 and you never thought to take it to the makers of your specific vehicle? 

-Are we talking an SUV or a Sedan? I'm guessing SUV but you did say car. 

-Power steering fluid is a cheap purchase from Pep Girls, Eastern Auto, O'Goldman's, they're all pretty much the same. Yo could have started there first for a small investment and then determined how dire of repairs you needed. 

-The mechanics that worked on your car are complete Scheisters/con-men, I wouldn't deal with them too terribly much but I always pay on one of my main credit cards so if there is a problem I can usually have the bank freeze or stop payment immediately, owners really hate when that happens. 

-Just my initial take but it doesn't sound like you know much about cars and neither does MoP really, however I have a damn good used car mechanic that was referred to me by folks who don't have a lot of money to spend on car repairs and he has saved me a shot ton of money so far, especially on my AC compressor. 

-There's an outfit out of Jersey that deals heavily in car parts and they are very good, great customer service but you need to Google your automobile and gt cozy with different numbers that are the ID for the parts you want to get your car properly repaired. 

You might be out $1,000 and its an expensive lesson but the time to hit the brakes was when power steering fluid became $1,000...I walk out at that point and circle the wagons for a bit. I wish I could tell you to go in there and spit poison as these people but it might not work and you will only be that much closer to a heart attack and the new MoP is not advising people to create self induced heart attacks, just not worth it.

-Peace

They did say it was a defective clamp that they installed so they replaced the clamp and didn't charge me.

Thanks for the responses
You want to ask for your old parts when they bring you the bill.

A reputable shop will give them to you and you can hand them

back if you don't want to keep them.  

The shop I use always shows the old part, and point out where the problem was. Make sure to talk to any repair shop before work is done, and tell them you want to see the old part. They should be willing to give an explanation as to why the part was replaced. Always double check to see a new part has been installed. This won't catch all the problems, but will let the repair shop know you do have some knowledge of what goes on with a car. If something doesn't seem right, call a tow truck, and have the vehicle sent to a different shop.

So a "car repair" place costs you $1,000 and you never thought to take it to the makers of your specific vehicle? 

-Are we talking an SUV or a Sedan? I'm guessing SUV but you did say car. 

-Power steering fluid is a cheap purchase from Pep Girls, Eastern Auto, O'Goldman's, they're all pretty much the same. Yo could have started there first for a small investment and then determined how dire of repairs you needed. 

-The mechanics that worked on your car are complete Scheisters/con-men, I wouldn't deal with them too terribly much but I always pay on one of my main credit cards so if there is a problem I can usually have the bank freeze or stop payment immediately, owners really hate when that happens. 

-Just my initial take but it doesn't sound like you know much about cars and neither does MoP really, however I have a damn good used car mechanic that was referred to me by folks who don't have a lot of money to spend on car repairs and he has saved me a shot ton of money so far, especially on my AC compressor. 

-There's an outfit out of Jersey that deals heavily in car parts and they are very good, great customer service but you need to Google your automobile and gt cozy with different numbers that are the ID for the parts you want to get your car properly repaired. 

You might be out $1,000 and its an expensive lesson but the time to hit the brakes was when power steering fluid became $1,000...I walk out at that point and circle the wagons for a bit. I wish I could tell you to go in there and spit poison as these people but it might not work and you will only be that much closer to a heart attack and the new MoP is not advising people to create self induced heart attacks, just not worth it.

-Peace
So we got an oil change from another car repair shop a week ago that pointed out the steering fluid was low so they topped it off. A week later we hear this sound and it seemed like the steering wheel. Brought it back to them and they couldn't look at it so brought to this new place. It wouldn't have helped to fill it up as it was leaking

It wasn't the power steering fluid but the pump they replaced. $600 which seems steep to me for the part!

So we got an oil change from another car repair shop a week ago that pointed out the steering fluid was low so they topped it off. A week later we hear this sound and it seemed like the steering wheel. Brought it back to them and they couldn't look at it so brought to this new place. It wouldn't have helped to fill it up as it was leaking

It wasn't the power steering fluid but the pump they replaced. $600 which seems steep to me for the part!
Parts Geek was who I used to get my new AC compressor, $250, $150 for labor at a friend of a friend's garage but it works great and the same job was quoted $1200 at the big shop on the main avenue thru town...but I understand convenience and just getting something done, where you got hosed is the $1,000 didn't fix the problem and that's the ####ty part. They couldn't even diagnose the problem, overcharge you but at least give you quality work for the money, it sounds awful. I don't blame you BTW, not trying to make you feel worse, I've overpaid many times as I have to come to find out but right now good used cars are hard to come by, new ones aren't a lot of fun to buy either. 

But you can start arming yourself with information so you don't get take advantage of. 

-If you look up your car part or if you can find the number and then enter at parts geek you can see what the real cost of it would be and then you can gauge how overpriced some auto shops are. Good mechanics are hard to find down here in South Florida, most people just go get a new car it seems. 

Parts Geek was who I used to get my new AC compressor, $250, $150 for labor at a friend of a friend's garage but it works great and the same job was quoted $1200 at the big shop on the main avenue thru town...but I understand convenience and just getting something done, where you got hosed is the $1,000 didn't fix the problem and that's the ####ty part. They couldn't even diagnose the problem, overcharge you but at least give you quality work for the money, it sounds awful. I don't blame you BTW, not trying to make you feel worse, I've overpaid many times as I have to come to find out but right now good used cars are hard to come by, new ones aren't a lot of fun to buy either. 

But you can start arming yourself with information so you don't get take advantage of. 

-If you look up your car part or if you can find the number and then enter at parts geek you can see what the real cost of it would be and then you can gauge how overpriced some auto shops are. Good mechanics are hard to find down here in South Florida, most people just go get a new car it seems. 
I love it when customers do this to me in the air conditioning business. They call in and say that part was only $20 so why are you charging me $165 for the repair?

It makes me feel good to have to kiss their ### and try to explain that there is experienced labor involved and that is what the repair costs.

All the while I'm thinking:

"you are also paying for my time to answer the phone to book your appointment in the first place. you are paying for the years of experience my tech has. you are paying for my office manager to send out your invoice because you are unwilling to hand the tech your credit card so he can process the payment on the spot. we also like to make profit."

But guys like you don't see it that way. Everyone is always out to screw you. Well guess what man?

There is a reason technicians exist in all types of fields. You don't like it - fix it yourself.

And when you screw it up I'll charge you another 25% as my pain-in-the-### fee.

I love it when customers do this to me in the air conditioning business. They call in and say that part was only $20 so why are you charging me $165 for the repair?

It makes me feel good to have to kiss their ### and try to explain that there is experienced labor involved and that is what the repair costs.

"you are also paying for my time to answer the phone to book your appointment in the first place. you are paying for the years of experience my tech has. you are paying for my office manager to send out your invoice because you are unwilling to hand the tech your credit card so he can process the payment on the spot. we also like to make profit."

But guys like you don't see it that way. Everyone is always out to screw you. Well guess what man?

There is a reason technicians exist in all types of fields. You don't like it - fix it yourself.

Let MoP understand because it clearly said the part where he got hosed was that the problem STILL wasn't fixed despite the outrageous fees and you bypass quality workmanship and go straight to how your time is being eaten, well maybe if you all didn't overcharge and provide poor workmanship many times to boot and have a notorious track record along the lines of a used car salesman which is under the doormat I promise you and you actually have the bollocks to defend the shop owner that took this guys money and didn't fix the car? That's the American Way?

And maybe if the costs to repair weren't so high then guys like me wouldn't shop around or find ways to cut costs. And I am more than happy to pay for a quality mechanic and business owners times, I have a 2-20 Lic and have insured many garages over the years, very familiar with car shops. 

Maybe it's time we all got an alternator adjustment here. I'm understanding of you, how could you not have sympathy for the guy who got jobbed who started this thread? Clearly the mechanics are rip-off artists and give quality guys like you a bad name, has nothing to do with the customers but keep charging those PIA tack on fees if it makes you feel better. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Let MoP understand because it clearly said the part where he got hosed was that the problem STILL wasn't fixed despite the outrageous fees and you bypass quality workmanship and go straight to how your time is being eaten, well maybe if you all didn't overcharge and provide poor workmanship many times to boot and have a notorious track record along the lines of a used car salesman which is under the doormat I promise you and you actually have the bollocks to defend the shop owner that took this guys money and didn't fix the car? That's the American Way?

And maybe if the costs to repair weren't so high then guys like me wouldn't shop around or find ways to cut costs. And I am more than happy to pay for a quality mechanic and business owners times, I have a 2-20 Lic and have insured many garages over the years, very familiar with car shops. 

Maybe it's time we all got an alternator adjustment here. I'm understanding of you, how could you not have sympathy for the guy who got jobbed who started this thread? Clearly the mechanics are rip-off artists and give quality guys like you a bad name, has nothing to do with the customers but keep charging those PIA tack on fees if it makes you feel better. 
I had a long useless post so maybe you would understand more better but it's not worth it.

According to the OP there was an issue with a clamp on the new part.

It's actually possible the new part was needed and it was defective/bad part/or installed improperly. #### happens with parts.  How do you know he didn't need a new pump? It doesn't mean it was leaking in the same spot...

Let me take out my jump to conclusions mat so you can play some more 

I'm just going to use ignore now as not to get banned

Signed,

A mechanics son.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mechanic I use is great.  Happens to be a neighbor of mine, but was using him before we really knew each other on a personal level

im sure there are some scammers out there, but I think most good honest mechanics know that good service and not ripping people off will keep people coming back 

The mechanics that worked on your car are complete Scheisters/con-men, I wouldn't deal with them too terribly much but I always pay on one of my main credit cards so if there is a problem I can usually have the bank freeze or stop payment immediately, owners really hate when that happens. 
I’m not sure what you are talking about here. You can’t “freeze” or “stop payment” a credit card transaction that has a valid authorization. You can dispute the transaction afterwards and the issuing bank could do a chargeback but that can get messy for a dispute like this. Merchants have rights too and could “represent” the transaction after chargeback if they don’t agree with your dispute.

Experienced labor is charged separately than the cost of the part. I looked up the part and its nowhere near the price that I could get it for. If you are going to overcharge put it in the labor charge and not the price of the part

Experienced labor is charged separately than the cost of the part. I looked up the part and its nowhere near the price that I could get it for. If you are going to overcharge put it in the labor charge and not the price of the part
Did you go to a dealership?

Dealership always up charge parts by 20% if not more. Also when comparing parts compare OEM prices vs aftermarket. You can buy OEM via parts stores also

Users who are viewing this thread