What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Website Layout (1 Viewer)

sj80

Footballguy
Is it just me, or does anyone else find the website layout absolutely atrocious?  Why isn't there a prominent link for the weekly coverage for season long leagues?  Or even if not a prominent link, at least place it within the same menu consistently.  I've scrolled up and down the main page, and hovered over all the submenus and can't find it anywhere.  This is kind of the main purpose of this website, it shouldn't take so long and such a headache to find it.

I am with you on this. I can't find the things i want to find when I need them. Things never seem to be in the same spot day to day.

The Week 1 link was replaced by the Articles link.

Doesn't make any sense since Articles is one of the six submenus.

Hope they change the layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, I like the current layout much more than 22 little box menus that my old guy eyes couldn't read. 

That said, I believe FBG said in a topic on this very page that it's a work in progress. I would think offering constructive criticism, like proposing how to fix the things you believe could be improved would be well received by FBG staff. 

That topic might be a good pace to suggest such things. 

Just a suggestion. 

My last year paying to be on Football guys, it's absolutely atrocious, the layout is confusing, the email updates and their headings are misleading and bizarre

I agree. 

It is too confusing and user unfriendly for sure. Much tougher to navigate compared to years past.

Hi Folks,

Always best to tag me if you'd like me to try and help.

Can you elaborate on more on exactly what you'd like to see?

Creating all the content is the difficult part. Making it easy to find should be easy.

Let me know specifically what you'd like to see changed and let us look.

The structure with the 2 large boxes at the top and the 4 smaller boxes below have some flexibility with what can go in the box. 

The main page each week for people will be the Weekly page https://www.footballguys.com/article/2021-season-long-week-02

That page has the same layout as we've always had. 

Let me know please specifically what you'd like to see and we'll do our best to help. That's our entire goal. 

Agreed, not a fan, but that could just be resistance to change. I've been a paying customer for two decades, I don't want to have to re-learn where to find everything. 

One minor-sounding gripe is that the Tools popup menu is so huge and I seem to inadvertently roll over it all the time, and it covers the entire screen.  Minor annoyance but it's been driving me nuts.

I can't find the Upgrades/Downgrades report. Has that been published yet and where the heck do I find it? Shouldn't have to search for one of the key weekly articles.

I can't find the Upgrades/Downgrades report. Has that been published yet and where the heck do I find it? Shouldn't have to search for one of the key weekly articles.

Most everything a Premium Subscriber will want is under the Weekly Page each week. Here's week 2. https://www.footballguys.com/article/2021-season-long-week-02

Like it has been for many years, it's everything we do for the whole week. Features are grayed out until they are live. 

The Upgrade / Downgrade is super important and it's why we put it in the Weekly Essentials Section on the Weekly Page. https://www.footballguys.com/article/2021-season-long-week-02

the email updates and their headings are misleading and bizarre

Can you give me some specific examples of any of our email updates that have headings you feel are "misleading" or "bizzare"? We never ever want either of those. I don't think we've had any that would be called that but I'm very interested to hear which specific examples you mean. Thanks. 

Hi Joe - since I started this thread I'll chime in with some admittedly unorganized thoughts. 

- It would be nice if the most popularly used features had the most prominent real estate on the home page.  I would imagine that the most popular features would include (a) the landing page for the current week for season long play, (b) the landing page for the current week for daily play (I'm not a daily player myself, but still assume this is a popular feature, and (c) player news/injury updates.

- I don't think that the "Featured Articles" section (which often includes articles up to 2 weeks old) needs to dominate the screen

- I really don't need the huge orange "Upgrade Now" link following me wherever I seem to go on the website.  I've already paid for the season long pro.  Once I've paid my dues, I don't expect to see such prominent advertisement behind the paywall.  If I wanted the upgraded package, I'd have bought it by now. I understand that this is a marketing thing and so is not likely to change, but it is a distraction.

- I agree with the commenter above that the Tools menu is huge, highly sensitive to my mouse touching it for even one millisecond, and then covers the entire screen.

- Within the season long current week landing page, it would be nice if the Gameday Updates was more accessible.  By noon on Sunday, this is really the only feature that is needed, and can be hard to find.

Most everything a Premium Subscriber will want is under the Weekly Page each week. Here's week 2. https://www.footballguys.com/article/2021-season-long-week-02

Like it has been for many years, it's everything we do for the whole week. Features are grayed out until they are live. 

The Upgrade / Downgrade is super important and it's why we put it in the Weekly Essentials Section on the Weekly Page. https://www.footballguys.com/article/2021-season-long-week-02
The weekly page should be pinned as one of the two big buttons and not have to search for it.  Currently the first big button is the Waiver Wire and it's not even updated.  The second button should be something that has just recently been update and new to the system OR the Week 2 DFS - which I don't subscribe, but at least I can be taught to ignore.

Another peeve, I always start by going into the Weekly Page to see what has been update or new.  Currently, "The Gut Check" is bolded , but yet updated on September 8th ... very confusing and now I really don't know when new information will be added.

The weekly page should be pinned as one of the two big buttons and not have to search for it.  Currently the first big button is the Waiver Wire and it's not even updated.  The second button should be something that has just recently been update and new to the system OR the Week 2 DFS - which I don't subscribe, but at least I can be taught to ignore.

Another peeve, I always start by going into the Weekly Page to see what has been update or new.  Currently, "The Gut Check" is bolded , but yet updated on September 8th ... very confusing and now I really don't know when new information will be added.

Thank you. That's exactly the kind of feedback we need.

I agree with you. I THINK the weekly content page should be one of the top 2 boxes each week. Does that make sense to other folks too?

And thanks for letting us know on the Waldman article. That's an error to have it bolded and we'll fix now. Thanks.

As much specific feedback as you folks can give, we'd love to hear. 

Thank you. That's exactly the kind of feedback we need.

I agree with you. I THINK the weekly content page should be one of the top 2 boxes each week. Does that make sense to other folks too?

And thanks for letting us know on the Waldman article. That's an error to have it bolded and we'll fix now. Thanks.

As much specific feedback as you folks can give, we'd love to hear. 
100% yes to this.  The weekly content page should be readily apparent/easily findable, even to a moron like me. 

I feel like the rollout of the new formatting has been a bit sloppy. Page load times are definitely slower than usual. Interface is cumbersome, but that's acceptable since we're aware things are fluid and being moved around.

Some of the core features are getting ignored, though. I've been a subscriber for 15 seasons now, and the statistics pages, usually great here because you can refine by position and see player stat lines color-coded for whether they are rostered in your league, etc...still haven't been updated? They are usually updated soon after the Sunday games have finished. Now we're at mid-day Tuesday.

I feel like the rollout of the new formatting has been a bit sloppy. Page load times are definitely slower than usual. Interface is cumbersome, but that's acceptable since we're aware things are fluid and being moved around.

Some of the core features are getting ignored, though. I've been a subscriber for 15 seasons now, and the statistics pages, usually great here because you can refine by position and see player stat lines color-coded for whether they are rostered in your league, etc...still haven't been updated? They are usually updated soon after the Sunday games have finished. Now we're at mid-day Tuesday.

No disagreement there @Reality Football   I won't bore you with the reasons why the transition has given us problems because they're just excuses. We will get this right quickly on the stats updating. 

@Joe Bryant

If you can make it so the Tools tab doesnt eclipse the entire screen anytime I accidentally roll over it, that would be awesome.

Are you saying you don't want the navigation bar menu items to drop down when you roll over them? You'd prefer to have to click on them instead?

I bought a premium subscription to another site because they had a promo for $10. I can't even sync my leagues! They know there is a problem but told me just to use the rankings. 😒

FBG has by far the best content and support and it's not even close. Heck, the owner is on the forums seeking feedback and constantly replying to owner's concerns.

👍

FBG has by far the best content and support and it's not even close. Heck, the owner is on the forums seeking feedback and constantly replying to owner's concerns.

👍

You're kind @TDCommish  I have plenty of folks who tell me I'm dumb to spend this much time "out front" engaging with people using the product and I should focus on "running the business". But to me, our strength at Footballguys has always been understanding the customer. And the best way I know how to do that is talking to folks.

We certainly have our share of areas where we fall short. And some folks will always go out of their way to make it clear they won't buy our product. Whatever. But we'll always give our best effort to try and understand what people want and deliver it as best we can. 

Are you saying you don't want the navigation bar menu items to drop down when you roll over them? You'd prefer to have to click on them instead?
For this older guy, this would work much better. Also, I like the idea of making the weekly one of the two big boxes.  I know you are working on it, but the sortable projections are a huge advantage of FBG. I appreciate you being involved on this level Joe, it says a lot about who you are.

I agree with others here that finding the Season Long home page is too difficult.

Do you offer a static URL that we could bookmark / favorite that FBG would update to always point to the current week's landing page? 

For example, your web team would update  https://www.footballguys.com/season-long-this-week/   so that it resolves to
   https://www.footballguys.com/article/2021-season-long-week-02  now, then
   https://www.footballguys.com/article/2021-season-long-week-03   next week, etc.

Agree that would be nicer.  I'd suggest the problem is a combination how much of the screen it covers, and that it won't go away until you move the mouse out of it. Which since it can fill the entire browser with even small amounts of browser zoom becomes a frustration.

Compare with ESPN's NFL page. The Teams menu auto-expands, but even at browser 150% zoom on a laptop it only fills 1/3 of the browser area and has free space around it on 3 sides that make it go away. It's easy enough to just flick the mouse randomly and it'll leave the expanded Teams menu so it goes away, to where you do it unconsciously so it never really bothers you.

On FBG, the Tools menu fills much of the screen including the full width. With 125% zoom it fills the entire rest of the browser on my laptop. So there is nowhere to just flit my mouse around to make it go away like I can on ESPN. Now I have to consciously aim for a spot at the top of the browser to make it go away, so it registers as an annoyance.  And after I've moved my mouse up and made it go away, sometimes I hit it again on the way back which just ramps up the annoyance.

Have to click to open might be the best improvement if it's going to take up more than a small section of the screen.

I agree with others here that finding the Season Long home page is too difficult.

Do you offer a static URL that we could bookmark / favorite that FBG would update to always point to the current week's landing page? 

For example, your web team would update  https://www.footballguys.com/season-long-this-week/   so that it resolves to
   https://www.footballguys.com/article/2021-season-long-week-02  now, then
   https://www.footballguys.com/article/2021-season-long-week-03   next week, etc.

Yes. That will be in place soon.

Ok. Thanks for the feedback, Folks.

We've now made the top 2 large boxes on footballguys.com show 

• Current Weekly Page For Season Long Content
  • Current Weekly Page for DFS content
And for power users, we've made these urls so you can bookmark and it should take you to the current week.

https://www.footballguys.com/season-long
https://www.footballguys.com/dfs

Those weekly pages have the exact same format as last year with the features grouped the same way as last year. It's a ton of content but we want to make sure everything is viewable and this feels like the most logical way. It's how we've done it for years on the weekly pages and that seems to have worked well. 

Anytime a game is within 3 hours of starting, the Game Day Udpates will be featured in one of the 4 smaller boxes below the Weekly Content boxes.

Thanks for the feedback.

Changing the drop down menus are quite a bit more involved and involve bigger things than can be quickly fixed here. We'll keep looking there and see what we can do. 

Just look at the tabs yourself.  Most are relatively small drop downs, and they close when your mouse leaves the area... no big deal when you accidentally scroll over, and easy to find what you want when you mean to scroll over.

The "TOOLS" tab literally takes up the whole page and you have to make an effort to find a space to get your mouse outside it to close.  I have to move my mouse alllllll the way down to the bottom of my screen to get out of it.  There is just too much stuff in that tab (4 columns listing 50 (FIFTY?) links)... to the point it isn't a "tab" at all, it is an entire page.

I think you can make that tab way less busy by removing a lot of the lists, thus shrinking the tab, thus solving the issue.  Maybe just make the 4 Column titles go to a page with the various links there.  Or make more tabs and give the draft, in season, dfs, and statisitcs their own tabs.

Just look at the tabs yourself.  Most are relatively small drop downs, and they close when your mouse leaves the area... no big deal when you accidentally scroll over, and easy to find what you want when you mean to scroll over.

The "TOOLS" tab literally takes up the whole page and you have to make an effort to find a space to get your mouse outside it to close.  I have to move my mouse alllllll the way down to the bottom of my screen to get out of it.  There is just too much stuff in that tab (4 columns listing 50 (FIFTY?) links)... to the point it isn't a "tab" at all, it is an entire page.

I think you can make that tab way less busy by removing a lot of the lists, thus shrinking the tab, thus solving the issue.  Maybe just make the 4 Column titles go to a page with the various links there.  Or make more tabs and give the draft, in season, dfs, and statisitcs their own tabs.

Thanks. We'll take a look there. Also quick note, you can move your mouse up a fraction and make the menu disappear instead of scrolling down to the bottom. 

Agreed, not a fan, but that could just be resistance to change. I've been a paying customer for two decades, I don't want to have to re-learn where to find everything. 

One minor-sounding gripe is that the Tools popup menu is so huge and I seem to inadvertently roll over it all the time, and it covers the entire screen.  Minor annoyance but it's been driving me nuts.
I think the bolded part is a fine line to tread. Most of us here have used MFL at some point and for the most part we have almost all had complaints about some aspect of that site just being stuck in 1995. Whether it's the live auction system, or the waiver system, etc. You can't make progress without change and change always requires an amount of time for adjustment.

In general, I like the new site and think it's an improvement but I also agree with your second paragraph. The headings at the top are very helpful but if you hovered over a heading and it brought up a new single bar of sub-headings for each item then it might be faster to find the actual link that you were looking for without ever completely swallowing the entire display. For instance if you hovered over tools there would be a popup horizontel menu that just had, "Draft Tools", "In Season Tools", "DFS Tools", and "Statistics" as a single bar. If you hovered over any of those sub-menu items then the column of links for just that specific sub-heading would pop-up so you didn't have every link for every type of tool covering the entire screen all at once. That would make a big difference imo.

Even if I don't think it's perfect I do like the general direction the FBG site is heading. If nothing else the willingness to at least listen and acknowledge suggestive criticism is much appreciated. That being said, "dark mode" is missed very much and I really hope it returns in 2022. That is probably the single toughest adjustment for me for the rest of 2021.

YES! Exactly this. I am in the habit of scrolling through the SP and opening several threads into new tabs, then reading through them. Doing that means I frequently cross the menus to delete a tab and/or click on another one. The menus pop up every time, even though I never want that when I'm in the forums.

I said this earlier, I like Joe and the team, but I already miss Dodds and the website is not good. I like the traditional layout just like I loved the old school information that was provided. I have struggled paying the past few years and I also think this may be my last. 

Seems like there is more effort into updating and upgrading the site. It wasn't broke. Just provide good, clean content that is easy to find.

I like the traditional layout just like I loved the old school information that was provided. I have struggled paying the past few years and I also think this may be my last. 

Seems like there is more effort into updating and upgrading the site. It wasn't broke. Just provide good, clean content that is easy to find.

Here is the traditional weekly layout like we've had for years. https://www.footballguys.com/season-long

We've made it so it will go to the current week for whatever week we're in. 

Joe Bryant said:
Yes, this. They seem really sensitive and take up much of the screen.

If I'm in the forums there doesn't seem to be a link to go directly to the week 2 Season Long page. I have to go to the home page and then the week 2 page. Perhaps I'm just lazy but would be nice to have a direct link.

You're right. That's probably the most important page. There should be a link in the menu IMO. Everything else is there.

Joe Bryant said:
Hi Folks,

Always best to tag me if you'd like me to try and help.

Can you elaborate on more on exactly what you'd like to see?

Creating all the content is the difficult part. Making it easy to find should be easy.

Let me know specifically what you'd like to see changed and let us look.

The structure with the 2 large boxes at the top and the 4 smaller boxes below have some flexibility with what can go in the box. 

The main page each week for people will be the Weekly page https://www.footballguys.com/article/2021-season-long-week-02

That page has the same layout as we've always had. 

Let me know please specifically what you'd like to see and we'll do our best to help. That's our entire goal. 
What indications do you have that what was there before was poorly organized? Don't fix it if it ain't broke?

Sure, you can always doll things up to make them look better, but the restructure is messy. Very little is intuitive now. I actually get frustrated trying to work through it and have, at times, just said screw it, I'll figure it out later.

Part of the confusion, at least for me, is also the integration of the website content with the forums. There's no longer a separate look and feel, so I don't quite know when I'm actually in a forum or on content. The pop-up content menus with each rollover, whether RANKINGS, ARTICLES, etc. exacerbates it. Not saying it's counter-intuitive, and it's smart business to push your forum traffic toward your content and subscription packages. But there's a loss of elegance.

The ARTICLES section, for example, is very little about the articles, and a lot of pictures of players that really do nothing to tell me what I'm looking at or the content therein. I have to scroll down just to work through the content that should be readily available, at my fingertips, right after I click ARTICLES.

BoltBacker said:
I think the bolded part is a fine line to tread. Most of us here have used MFL at some point and for the most part we have almost all had complaints about some aspect of that site just being stuck in 1995. Whether it's the live auction system, or the waiver system, etc. You can't make progress without change and change always requires an amount of time for adjustment.

In general, I like the new site and think it's an improvement but I also agree with your second paragraph. The headings at the top are very helpful but if you hovered over a heading and it brought up a new single bar of sub-headings for each item then it might be faster to find the actual link that you were looking for without ever completely swallowing the entire display. For instance if you hovered over tools there would be a popup horizontel menu that just had, "Draft Tools", "In Season Tools", "DFS Tools", and "Statistics" as a single bar. If you hovered over any of those sub-menu items then the column of links for just that specific sub-heading would pop-up so you didn't have every link for every type of tool covering the entire screen all at once. That would make a big difference imo.

Even if I don't think it's perfect I do like the general direction the FBG site is heading. If nothing else the willingness to at least listen and acknowledge suggestive criticism is much appreciated. That being said, "dark mode" is missed very much and I really hope it returns in 2022. That is probably the single toughest adjustment for me for the rest of 2021.

I agree that change is inevitable when you're trying to make progress. I personally just feel like there's a lot of change with little progress. 

Partly it's just a design thing, and it's broader than FBG. I'm just not a fan of a lot of modern web design trends.  Everything seems to be mobile-first, lots of whitespace and big fonts, etc. Just makes everything worse on desktop, IMO.  For example Joe linked to the Week 2 landing page (which, by the way, should be prominent in the header bar if it's really meant to be the one-stop shop for content - I scrolled through all the tabs above and don't see it linked anywhere which is mind-boggling).  At a glance it looks like it basically has all the same content as it used to.  Now it's just got a bigger font in a narrower column so I have to scroll a lot more to see everything I used to see on a single screen.  That's not progress, that's just change for no (apparent) good reason. (Re: MFL, the fact that it looked like 1995 was by design and that's what I loved about it, they didn't force any design choices on you, it was infinitely customizable.)

I seem to recall MyFBG being a very popular addition at one point in the site's history.  I always loved it - tons of relevant data all accessible from a single page.  The last couple years they seem to have left that page in the dust for a new suite of pages that, again, provide basically the same information (except now I can't copy-paste the data into Excel which is infuriating). They've replatformed a bunch of things, presumably because it's better for mobile users (?), but personally I don't care about that, I found everything easier to use the old way. 

And why is there a big orange "Join Now" button at the top of every page when I'm already logged in?

Part of it is just resistance to change, of course. I'm sure everything I want is still located somewhere, and eventually I'll get used to finding it again. But I can't be expected to enjoy the experience of having to relearn where it is. :shrug:  

I personally just feel like there's a lot of change with little progress. 
THIS.

I seem to recall MyFBG being a very popular addition at one point in the site's history.  I always loved it - tons of relevant data all accessible from a single page.  The last couple years they seem to have left that page in the dust for a new suite of pages that, again, provide basically the same information (except now I can't copy-paste the data into Excel which is infuriating). They've replatformed a bunch of things, presumably because it's better for mobile users (?), but personally I don't care about that, I found everything easier to use the old way.
And THIS.

Another decade plus subscriber (18-20 years, I believe) here—all the problems associated with League Dominator, synching, and other technological “advancements” along with the constant push to direct people to use other avenues rather than what we REALLY liked (and easy) years ago is getting tiring, at least from my viewpoint.

I noticed the podcasts are set up differently now too.... they used to just roll one after another, or were listed in chronological order.  Now they seem silo'd where, they aren't easy to navigate (on mobile at least), and they only seem to play one at a time.  That is, unless I don't know what I'm doing - which is quite possible.

Users who are viewing this thread