What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gabby Petito, 22, missing (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Donkey

Footballguy
I watch a number of these van lives, rv lives videos on youtube and I believe that I watched the one video on their channel before I saw this story.  

link to the youtube

Praying she is found, the boyfriend/fiance is not cooperating.

link to the story.

"The desperate dad of a Long Island woman who went missing during a cross-country trip with her boyfriend told The Post on Monday that he is only focused on bringing her home — adding, “All of the crap afterward will sort itself out.”

Gabby Petito, 22, was last known to be in Wyoming’s Grand Teton National Park in late August after heading out on a road trip a month earlier with her boyfriend, identified on social media as Brian Laundrie.

Laundrie, who has since returned to Florida, has reportedly hired a lawyer and refused to cooperate with authorities.".......

I watch a number of these van lives, rv lives videos on youtube and I believe that I watched the one video on their channel before I saw this story.  

link to the youtube

Praying she is found, the boyfriend/fiance is not cooperating.

link to the story.

"The desperate dad of a Long Island woman who went missing during a cross-country trip with her boyfriend told The Post on Monday that he is only focused on bringing her home — adding, “All of the crap afterward will sort itself out.”

Gabby Petito, 22, was last known to be in Wyoming’s Grand Teton National Park in late August after heading out on a road trip a month earlier with her boyfriend, identified on social media as Brian Laundrie.

Laundrie, who has since returned to Florida, has reportedly hired a lawyer and refused to cooperate with authorities.".......
I used to read the bolded and immediately made me think the person was guilty or involved.  Then I watched that video that somebody posted around here about how it’s never in your best interest to talk to police officers and I changed my tune somewhat.  I obviously have no clue what happened here and the guy could be totally guilty but I also now think that refusing to cooperate with authorities isn’t immediately the red flag I once thought.  

I used to read the bolded and immediately made me think the person was guilty or involved.  Then I watched that video that somebody posted around here about how it’s never in your best interest to talk to police officers and I changed my tune somewhat.  I obviously have no clue what happened here and the guy could be totally guilty but I also now think that refusing to cooperate with authorities isn’t immediately the red flag I once thought.  
I do agree with this.    

edit: my but to the agreement with you is ...how do you simply drive home to florida from the west coast without your girl who you went on the roadtrip with and then not give any indication to family or authorities as to where she is?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do agree with this.    

edit: my but to the agreement with you is ...how do you simply drive home to florida from the west coast without your girl who you went on the roadtrip with?

got in a fight in when she ran off with another dude... for the third time. he said he would bail after the second time if she did it again, so he bailed.

first thing that came to mind. I'm sure we could all think of other scenarios. 

and not saying this guy is innocent based on the NYPost article- just saying I have no idea if he is or isn't, so not going to jump to any conclusions just yet.

terrible story though...heartbreaking to think about any kid going missing. And as a really pretty young white woman, this will probably generate a lot more press.

got in a fight in when she ran off with another dude... for the third time. he said he would bail after the second time if she did it again, so he bailed.

first thing that came to mind. I'm sure we could all think of other scenarios. 

and not saying this guy is innocent based on the NYPost article- just saying I have no idea if he is or isn't, so not going to jump to any conclusions just yet.

terrible story though...heartbreaking to think about any kid going missing. And as a really pretty young white woman, this will probably generate a lot more press.
best case scenario imo.   but if that's what happened why wouldn't he just cooperate?

best case scenario imo.   but if that's what happened why wouldn't he just cooperate?
dunno. maybe he is more than the article says. I'm with AAA in wanting a lawyer the second the police start asking me questions about anything serious...even if I'm innocent. dunno really. 

NYpost also doesn't always try to get things right first.. just saying.

dunno. maybe he is more than the article says. I'm with AAA in wanting a lawyer the second the police start asking me questions about anything serious...even if I'm innocent. dunno really. 

fair enough.

Does it say how much older this guy is than her?  She is 22 but I'm thinking he's closer to 30?  Not that that means anything at all, just curious. 

Does it say how much older this guy is than her?  She is 22 but I'm thinking he's closer to 30?  Not that that means anything at all, just curious. 
guy looks young in the youtube video. from that, could be 30 could be 22.

floppinha is only 10, but we're getting to that point soon where we'll have to let her navigate the world without one of us or another adult with her. these kind of stories (and I'm still hoping there's a happy ending to this, even though it doesn't look promising) freak me the hell out.

guy looks young in the youtube video. from that, could be 30 could be 22.

floppinha is only 10, but we're getting to that point soon where we'll have to let her navigate the world without one of us or another adult with her. these kind of stories (and I'm still hoping there's a happy ending to this, even though it doesn't look promising) freak me the hell out.
That's not the hairline of a 22 year old, is it?  

really??? 

not that i know you or anything, but.... never??
Never - closest thing I would consider is when my paternal grandmother got really bad with dementia and we had to call the cops because she was a danger to us and herself.

I mean, I’ve gotten some speeding tickets and one moving violation but that’s about the extent of it that I can think of.

Yeah - I’ll see if I can find a link later to that video but this lawyer presents several scenarios where I was like, damn, I never would have thought of that.  And how good do you trust your memory?

Mr. Floppo - when was the last time you saw X?

What were you guys doing?  Did your argue?

You may answer “no, we were not arguing” and some goober saw the two of you at a gas station arguing over a pack of Skittles - that could sink you and put you in jail for the rest of your life.  Keep your mouth shut.

ETA - I think this guy basically says if the police ask you anything you say, “I’d love to help you but a lawyer has advised me to not speak without him present”

Yeah - I’ll see if I can find a link later to that video but this lawyer presents several scenarios where I was like, damn, I never would have thought of that.  And how good do you trust your memory?

You may answer “no, we were not arguing” and some goober saw the two of you at a gas station arguing over a pack of Skittles - that could sink you and put you in jail for the rest of your life.  Keep your mouth shut.

ETA - I think this guy basically says if the police ask you anything you say, “I’d love to help you but a lawyer has advised me to not speak without him present”
Pretty solid advice overall. I advise my clients to be cordial but decline to answer factual questions beyond your identification upon my advice. Make me the bad guy. 

Big story that seems to be everywhere and obviously hope she's found safe...but a thought that crossed my mind in today's "get clicks/likes" world...

How horrible would it be if it was all a ploy to get more hits on their video/channel?

General Malaise said:
El Floppo said:
I have more than a couple friends who were balding at 20. 

but no idea- he could be 50 and looking good.

I'll set the over/under at 28 on him. 

:shrug:  still kind of vague, but from her mom:

"Schmidt said the couple met in high school and began dating a couple of years ago. Petito later moved to Florida to live with him, she said."

Its not clear they were both in high school.

AAABatteries said:

https://youtu.be/d-7o9xYp7eE

D-Day said:
Officer: How’s your day going?

Me:  
Obviously use the advice within reason. The question you pose here is obviously a benign one. But, if a question calls for a specific answer, the officer - per his training - is likely trying to obtain information to fit into some sort of metric to determine if you’re doing something you shouldn’t be. 

General Malaise said:
Read that they found the van.  

Cannot imagine going through something like this as a parent.  
the van was found in north port florida, where this couple lived.    he drove back without his girl. 

From the article, it seemed like she has not been heard from for a month.   Supposedly they had been vanlifing across the country for nearly 2 months and only made 1 youtube video?  Even if she left him voluntarily, why would he remain silent towards her family over the last month?  Someone posted his instagram above and he said he would "die" to spend his time with her again.  I feel comfortable saying with 98% certainty he killed her. 

kodycutter said:
Best case for the fiancé maybe. Either way, she hasn’t been heard from for 2-3 weeks now when it sounds like she kept in regular contact with her parents. I strongly doubt that she’s alive.

The odds seem very high that the fiancé killed her. Not talking to the police isn’t the suspicious thing. His fiancé suddenly disappearing and just showing back up at home without her certainly is though.

If I was in a remote spot and my gf wandered off for a day and vanished and I knew I had nothing to do with it, I'd lawyer up just as soon as the professional s&r people showed up.  That's a real tough spot to be in.  Then again if I did feed her to a bear I'd do the same thing.  

She's a local girl. My FB feed has been blowing up for the last 2 days over this. 

All seems very odd. 

From the article, it seemed like she has not been heard from for a month.   Supposedly they had been vanlifing across the country for nearly 2 months and only made 1 youtube video?  Even if she left him voluntarily, why would he remain silent towards her family over the last month?  Someone posted his instagram above and he said he would "die" to spend his time with her again.  I feel comfortable saying with 98% certainty he killed her. 

That's not how this works.  Most of the lifers post stuff on a considerable delay

AAABatteries said:
Can you please post that video here?  i don''t think I've seen it

Thanks for linking it.  While I can't speak for everything the guy says from a legal standpoint, what he says makes a lot of sense and he's an engaging speaker.
Yeah, I like them bringing  up the Dectective, getting his law degree, for equal time.

Love the hypothetical where he (the detective) asks if anyone went over the speed limit on the way to class that day

Yeah, I like them bringing  up the Dectective, getting his law degree, for equal time.

Love the hypothetical where he (the detective) asks if anyone went over the speed limit on the way to class that day

Yep - I think we both would strongly suggest folks watch it.  The way he emphasizes that anything you say CAN AND WILL be used against you was eye opening to me.  Sure, we've all heard that for most of our life but how he shows examples was crazy.  I thought like most people, "hey, I'm a good citizen and the police are here to help me.  If they ask me questions I should do my best to answer".  After watching that there's no chance - especially considering my somewhat faulty memory and my tendency to get a little off topic when answering questions. 

On some level I get the lawyer-up chatter... but where does finding this young lady for her family fit into the conversation?

On some level I get the lawyer-up chatter... but where does finding this young lady for her family fit into the conversation?

Everybody is going to be different - the reason why I'm adamant about it is I don't ever plan on murdering someone so in this hypothetical I'm innocent and don't want to get screwed.  We would need Woz or some other lawyer to maybe explain how you could help without incriminating yourself (if that's even possible). 

I friend of mine worked in Victim's assistance for the county.  About 35 years ago there was a murder of a 13 year old girl nearby.  The cops interviewed the father for 6 hours and she said by the end of it, they had him so twisted in knots that he said "I don't know, maybe I did it."  He in fact did not do it.  It was a serial killer who was just passing through.  Luckily the cops did not arrest and charge the father.  Your kid get murdered and they try to pin it on you, yeah that's about the worst day ever.  That always stuck with me.  Seems like a good idea to lawyer up.     

AAABatteries said:
I don't know what this boyfriend/fiance has told his parents and lawyer, but if someone I was with disappeared, I would be frantically searching for them, and I would call the police, their parents, friends, etc.   If we got in an argument and that person left on their own, I would still be searching for them. I would never leave someone, and cross the country and go back home without them. If I found them and they refused to go, I would call their parents.  He didn't report her missing, her parents did. He knows her parents, but isn't giving them information. The mother last spoke to her daughter on the 25th of August. She only got a text on the 27th and 30th I think, and she isn't sure if it was her daughter who sent them.  Her daughter went radio silent, and the boyfriend/fiance is back home without her, and he isn't talking.  I see a lot of red flags.

I don't know what this boyfriend/fiance has told his parents and lawyer, but if someone I was with disappeared, I would be frantically searching for them, and I would call the police, their parents, friends, etc.   If we got in an argument and that person left on their own, I would still be searching for them. I would never leave someone, and cross the country and go back home without them. If I found them and they refused to go, I would call their parents.  He didn't report her missing, her parents did. He knows her parents, but isn't giving them information. The mother last spoke to her daughter on the 25th of August. She only got a text on the 27th and 30th I think, and she isn't sure if it was her daughter who sent them.  Her daughter went radio silent, and the boyfriend/fiance is back home without her, and he isn't talking.  I see a lot of red flags.
This - I would at least contact the parents and say your daughter left with _____ in a _____ vehicle.  She told me to go on without her, just letting you know.

Side note, conversion vans are bringing big money right now (I've been looking for one for over a year), if she's on the title of the vehicle no way she just let him leave with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread