What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NY passes no gas vehicle sales by 2035 (1 Viewer)

i'm ok with it as long as you include the infrastructure to support it.  if not, you're just shifting the problem somewhere else.

I grew up in PA.  In the early 80's I remember something about how many people tried to get their car registration in NJ, something about much cheaper car insurance.  Anyone remember the specifics of this?  Gonna be eerily familiar with this mandate.

14 years is a lot of time to get infrastructure prepared and for car companies to adapt.  Note that California and Massachusetts have already passed similar laws.  More states will follow suit.  Car companies will adapt and start making more electric cars.  Given the 14-year lead time, this is a big nothingburger.

14 years is a lot of time to get infrastructure prepared and for car companies to adapt.  Note that California and Massachusetts have already passed similar laws.  More states will follow suit.  Car companies will adapt and start making more electric cars.  Given the 14-year lead time, this is a big nothingburger.
Im pretty liberal, but I dont think ill be buying an all electric car in my lifetime

I dont want to have to plan a drive to florida where i have to pull over and charge for a gosh darn hour...... at least with a hybrid you can in theory run off the  gas tank if needed and just fill up 

I dont want to have to plan a drive to florida where i have to pull over and charge for a gosh darn hour...... at least with a hybrid you can in theory run off the  gas tank if needed and just fill up 
just went to Oregon and back in the Tesla.  Had a blast.

EVs are beating ICE as it is.  There is no need for this mandate as there will be a natural evolution.  But, nothing high on the asinine scale coming out of NY or CA, etc. surprise me anymore.

I can also see where this may be a big headache for  some specialty vehicles - work trucks, etc.

EVs are beating ICE as it is.  There is no need for this mandate as there will be a natural evolution.  But, nothing high on the asinine scale coming out of NY or CA, etc. surprise me anymore.

I can also see where this may be a big headache for  some specialty vehicles - work trucks, etc.
natural evolution may not be fast enough

The auto manufacturers are already headed in this direction.  Ford and GM each committed over $25 billion to electric vehicles through 2025.  They worked with California on the law it adopted.  This isn't some sort of surprise or burden on the auto industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Car dealerships in PA near the border are going to make a killing.
Not sure this is such a great plan for car buyers in New York.  It won’t happen right away but if everyone else is driving electric cars in NY it might not be that easy to buy gas for your gas powered car.  I’d expect a lot fewer gas stations to exist.

I drove a BMW electric/gas car.  I was pretty neat to turn the car on and not hear an engine.  I think I would like a car that I can drive electric but also have a gas backup.

Until the Chinese and Indians move away from their 4000 coal plants this kind of thing is a fart in the wind.
China, India both have plans in place to move large percentages of their vehicles to electric. Europe has 100% phase out plan by 2040 I think.

It's a way better product to boot.

awesome

ummmmm where is the electricity going to come from to do that? 
This is a real issue that people don’t quite understand right now. There is no transmission supply in NYC to bring in enough electricity to basically replace ICE cars.

In addition, the massive built out of charging stations to charge all the cars in NYC is immense undertaking. In the suburbs people can charge their car in their driveway. As a New York city dweller I can tell you that solution just doesn’t work and basically every parking spot on the streets on NY will need a charging station. 

This is a real issue that people don’t quite understand right now. There is no transmission supply in NYC to bring in enough electricity to basically replace ICE cars.

In addition, the massive built out of charging stations to charge all the cars in NYC is immense undertaking. In the suburbs people can charge their car in their driveway. As a New York city dweller I can tell you that solution just doesn’t work and basically every parking spot on the streets on NY will need a charging station. 
so job creation and improving crumbling infrastructure while moving away from fossil fuels.   

For the most part, it seems like this board very much enjoys the government telling people what to do.   I can't see why this would cause much of a ruckus here.

This is a state policy, not federal.  I thought conservative's issue was only with the federal government telling people what to do?  States rights and all that.   Because conservative politics is very much big government when it comes to the state level.  IE the government dictates what women can do with their bodies, who people can marry, what bathroom people are allowed to use, etc.

I drove a BMW electric/gas car.  I was pretty neat to turn the car on and not hear an engine.  I think I would like a car that I can drive electric but also have a gas backup.
The gubbermint doesn't care what you want.   You will drive an electric vehicle. Period.  Stop telling anyone what you want. Those days are over for now.  

This is a state policy, not federal.  I thought conservative's issue was only with the federal government telling people what to do?  States rights and all that.   Because conservative politics is very much big government when it comes to the state level.  IE the government dictates what women can do with their bodies, who people can marry, what bathroom people are allowed to use, etc.
Boy is this post weird.   You really think states rights supporters are fine with being told what to do....just as long as it isn't the feds doing the telling?   Is this really how some of you all think?

Boy is this post weird.   You really think states rights supporters are fine with being told what to do....just as long as it isn't the feds doing the telling?   Is this really how some of you all think?

I can't reconcile a plausible scenario where someone would simultaneously believe in small government while at the same time thinking the government should be intimately involved in telling people who they're allowed to love, or be intimately involved in such trivial matters such as which bathroom people should be forced to use. 

The only way that makes logical sense is if they're talking solely about the federal government when they say they prefer small government.  Because you can't rationally claim to support small government while at the same time fighting tooth and nail to inject the government into every trivial social matter you can come up with.

It also doesn't make any sense for people to claim the government should be front in center in matters like someone else's marriage that doesn't affect them in any way, but claim that government regulation of an industry that threatens all of our health is government overreach.

I'm not sure what you mean by work trucks, but they are driving (see what I did there) the move to electric.  

The gubbermint doesn't care what you want.   You will drive an electric vehicle. Period.  Stop telling anyone what you want. Those days are over for now.  
it's being driven by supply and demand and auto manufacturers.  you know, free market capitalism and such.  

This is a state policy, not federal.  I thought conservative's issue was only with the federal government telling people what to do?  

Just using my federally given right to free speech to opine on the authoritarianism of said state.

different argument.  everything is a fart in the wind, until enough people fart.

There's a few Fat Bastards out there really stinking up the room.

Hybrid yes 

All electric no.  At least no time soon. Pre pandemic I drove about 30k miles a year if not more, plus the 2k I'd probably need to install a 240 outlet, is just not feasible for me, imo

Users who are viewing this thread