What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kentucky Nurse Video Records Conversation As She's Fired For Refusing Vaccine ( 9/15/21 21:22 PST) (1 Viewer)

GordonGekko

Footballguy
VIDEO: Nurse Records Conversation As She's Fired For Refusing Vaccine Sep 15, 2021

Listen as this nurse records her employer demanding she leave after refusing to get vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUEw0L8VC7o

DIRECT HEADLINE: See nurse make hospital admit she was fired for not taking vaccine

'You guys chose not to do the right thing by not giving us a choice'

By WND Staff  September 13, 2021 at 5:27pm

https://www.wnd.com/2021/09/secret-video-see-nurse-make-hospital-admit-fired-not-taking-vaccine/

I'll let people here parse this one out and talk about how they feel about it.

Is she Union?  If not, it’s at will employment and the hospital has the right to terminate her employment. I don’t understand her saying that she hasn’t quit and she hasn’t been fired. From the video, she’s clearly been fired.

I don't like the mandate across the board but I do think the vaccine should be required for certain occupations - namely, anyone who comes into contact with a large number of people (say, >20 per shift?). If you are a trucker, or an office drone, who cares.

Nurses absolutely clear that threshold.  Even more critical they are vaccinated given the likelyhood they will encounter COVID positive patients.  Also,  she should know better as a HCW.

Is she Union?  If not, it’s at will employment and the hospital has the right to terminate her employment. I don’t understand her saying that she hasn’t quit and she hasn’t been fired. From the video, she’s clearly been fired.
I couldnt hear the first guy too well. But if they typically give a termination letter, they should be consistent. This strikes me as a hospital trying to stay out of legal hot water. 

A detail worth mentioning. Most hospitals in my area (not sure about Kentucky) have specific Covid floors or wings. To suggest a nurse has a high likelihood of encountering Covid patients is simply not true. Depending upon their department, their job is no more likely than a trip to Walmart to be exposed. 

Hospitals have insisted employees be vaccinated for various diseases for decades as part of the hiring process. Contracts also (in my experience) require future vaccinations when deemed necessary by hospital administrators. She breaches that contract and she's fired. End of story.

A detail worth mentioning. Most hospitals in my area (not sure about Kentucky) have specific Covid floors or wings. To suggest a nurse has a high likelihood of encountering Covid patients is simply not true. Depending upon their department, their job is no more likely than a trip to Walmart to be exposed. 
What is the likelyhood of the RN from another floor coming into contact with RNs/DRs who were in direct contact with covid patients?

Do people typically collect bodily fluids and change dressings and spend lots of time within a few feet of a single person at Walmart?

I couldnt hear the first guy too well. But if they typically give a termination letter, they should be consistent. This strikes me as a hospital trying to stay out of legal hot water. 
Your boss comes to you and says you have been fired. Whether they have the actual termination papers in order seems a little nitpicky and your first response should be "#### you, I didn't want this job anyway" rather than "wawawawa"

Termination letters aren’t required by any law that I know (maybe there is a collective bargaining contract on point), and I’m not sure what legal hot water the hospital would be trying to stay out of. The employee clearly asserted that her objection was based on her belief that she should have a choice. She didn’t raise any request for accommodation due to religious or medical reasons. 

Cool.  Maybe your employers will say the same thing about you. 

Feel any differently?
My (private) employer updated their employee handbook and we were all required to sign it. Yes, it now includes provisions for covid mitigation. I wonder what would happen to me if I refused to either sign it or comply with it.

However being vaccinated, I don't have to worry about either.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are a trucker, or an office drone, who cares.
On behalf of office drones everywhere I strongly take offense to this statement. OFFICE DRONES ARE PEOPLE TOO!!!!

Do people typically collect bodily fluids and change dressings and spend lots of time within a few feet of a single person at Walmart?
Hey look buddy, I don't what kinda cushy, crime free, militant neighborhood you live in but on the mean streets of Fort Mill, SC this happens more than you think. Save your judgement.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
On behalf of office drones everywhere I strongly take offense to this statement. OFFICE DRONES ARE PEOPLE TOO!!!!

Hey look buddy, I don't what kinda cushy, crime free, militant neighborhood you live in but on the mean streets of Fort Mill, SC this happens more than you think. Save your judgement.
Funny, I was thinking the Walmart in Harbison/ Irmo SC 😆

How is that in anyway a health issue to me?

doesn't have to be "to you" .... and if you're vaccinated don't worry about covid anyway but the real point is, do not question it, just do what the Federal Govt and your business/work tells you to do

As someone who has fired hundreds of people in my working career this was handled very poorly. I’ve never once fired somebody without termination paperwork, and why they are evasive with the termination/fired aspect is strange.  What’s even more strange is they talked to HR the prior day. So how any ambiguity is going on and why they won’t clarify it is very strange and makes me wonder if they aren’t confident in their legal standings to let her/them go.   

Now as far as the drama is concerned I’ve been involved in far worse firings, so that’s pretty minimal. But IMO, vaccine mandate aside, this is poor management and leadership and would be a training video for me in how not to terminate someone.  

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who has fired hundreds of people in my working career this was handled very poorly. I’ve never once fired somebody without termination paperwork, and why they are evasive with the termination/fired aspect is strange.  What’s even more strange is they talked to HR the prior day. So how any ambiguity is going on and why they won’t clarify it is very strange and makes me wonder if they aren’t confident in their legal standings to let her/them go.   

Now as far as the drama is concerned I’ve been involved in far worse firings, so that’s pretty minimal. But IMO, vaccine mandate aside, this is poor management and leadership and would be a training video for me in how not to terminate someone.  

why do you think they did it like that then ?

I don't like the mandate across the board but I do think the vaccine should be required for certain occupations - namely, anyone who comes into contact with a large number of people (say, >20 per shift?). If you are a trucker, or an office drone, who cares.

Nurses absolutely clear that threshold.  Even more critical they are vaccinated given the likelyhood they will encounter COVID positive patients.  Also,  she should know better as a HCW.

These healthcare workers risked their lives in 2020 treating patients with COVID without being vaccinated.  Now in 2021, they are considered a threat to the population they are treating and being fired for not being vaccinated.  As a spouse of an emergency room nurse who put her life at risk and the lives of every member of our household at risk every time she went to work, firing someone for this is unconscionable.  What is really a shame is that hospitals are so understaffed they are offering $20,000+ sign-on bonuses but not offering retention bonuses.  File healthcare workers under police officers.  Hero's one day, villains the next.  What a thankless job.       

These healthcare workers risked their lives in 2020 treating patients with COVID without being vaccinated.  Now in 2021, they are considered a threat to the population they are treating and being fired for not being vaccinated.  As a spouse of an emergency room nurse who put her life at risk and the lives of every member of our household at risk every time she went to work, firing someone for this is unconscionable.  What is really a shame is that hospitals are so understaffed they are offering $20,000+ sign-on bonuses but not offering retention bonuses.  File healthcare workers under police officers.  Hero's one day, villains the next.  What a thankless job.       

when the people of this country rally around healthcare workers things will change

like, every person in a hospital walking out until the mandatory vax is eliminated - lets hospitals close down all across the nation - Biden and the knee jerk, scared to death people forcing these things would reverse course fast 

It feels to me like they are trying to leverage a them “quitting” via their decision angle to protect against future lawsuits.  Basically they are trying to skirt future liability for to the decision to let them go.  It’s the only reason I can think for them being evasive and vague.  
 agreed

my company specifically said hey, we're not forcing you to do anything, you have free choice

except if you don't do as we and the Fed Govt demand, you'll lose your job

Is your wife vaccinated?

agreed

my company specifically said hey, we're not forcing you to do anything, you have free choice

except if you don't do as we and the Fed Govt demand, you'll lose your job
Sure.  Which is the company’s right IMO, but just stand by the decision afterwards and don’t evade responsibility. You either stand behind your decision or you don’t make said stance.  

Cool.  Maybe your employers will say the same thing about you. 

Feel any differently?

If I wasn't following procedure..sure.

It's not that difficult.  On a personal level though...I'm not upset that nurses who aren't interested in doing this are being given the boot.  There will be others.  

the moops said:
Your boss comes to you and says you have been fired. Whether they have the actual termination papers in order seems a little nitpicky and your first response should be "#### you, I didn't want this job anyway" rather than "wawawawa"
Depends where you work. Where I work we have to have lawyers review paperwork before they are terminated. We can cut off their access to the facility if it's an immediate issue. 

Thunderlips said:
If I wasn't following procedure..sure.

It's not that difficult.  On a personal level though...I'm not upset that nurses who aren't interested in doing this are being given the boot.  There will be others.  
You do know there is currently a nursing shortage. This vaccine issue is only going to make it worse. Which makes everyone's healthcare worse.

Stealthycat said:
when the people of this country rally around healthcare workers things will change

like, every person in a hospital walking out until the mandatory vax is eliminated - lets hospitals close down all across the nation - Biden and the knee jerk, scared to death people forcing these things would reverse course fast 
Hmmm, so now we are backing worker strikes?  My times have changed from a couple years ago when "right to work" laws were being passed to phase out unions

Stealthycat said:

I think you overestimate the percentage of healthcare workers on this nurse's side compared to the percentage that think this nurse has no business in a hospital.

My wife is a physician that worked the front lines of covid and I am 100% on the same side of people that say healthcare workers are wildly underappreciated.  Even in the best of times her job takes a larger toll on her than anyone in the general public realizes, nevermind the insanity of the last couple years.

Even with that said she and every physician I know would support this nurse being let go.  As someone mentioned in another thread you can really break healthcare workers into a couple categories.  A lot of them are angels that just really, really want to help people.  Others are regular people that just need a job and decided on this particular one that pays the bills.

My wife is a healthcare worker through and through.  She would do it for free, and has many times.  If for some reason she didn't want the vaccine she would voluntarily remove herself from the situation to protect her patients while maintaining her personal choice.  The fact that this nurse even WANTS to be around sick people without the vaccine tells me clearly which category she is likely in, and tells me the hospital will likely not miss her.

I think at times we are all guilty of being misguided into what reality is like based on our own echo chambers and where we seek out news.  I'm as guilty of it as anyone.  I can see how following certain pages broadcasting the occasional nurse rally as if nurses are lining up en masse on every street corner could give the impression that this is widely supported amongst healthcare workers.  In my experience interacting with healthcare workers every single day (most of our friends are healthcare workers, their friends are healthcare workers, hospital dinners with hundreds of healthcare workers there, etc) I don't think that is reality.  Healthcare workers rallying against the vaccine instead of lining up to get theirs as fast as possible are still very much the exception and are more likely to be pariahs within their field than celebrated by them.  To the contrary, the majority of healthcare workers last year were begging for the vaccine.

Just my $.02.

I think you overestimate the percentage of healthcare workers on this nurse's side compared to the percentage that think this nurse has no business in a hospital.

My wife is a physician that worked the front lines of covid and I am 100% on the same side of people that say healthcare workers are wildly underappreciated.  Even in the best of times her job takes a larger toll on her than anyone in the general public realizes, nevermind the insanity of the last couple years.

Even with that said she and every physician I know would support this nurse being let go.  As someone mentioned in another thread you can really break healthcare workers into a couple categories.  A lot of them are angels that just really, really want to help people.  Others are regular people that just need a job and decided on this particular one that pays the bills.

My wife is a healthcare worker through and through.  She would do it for free, and has many times.  If for some reason she didn't want the vaccine she would voluntarily remove herself from the situation to protect her patients while maintaining her personal choice.  The fact that this nurse even WANTS to be around sick people without the vaccine tells me clearly which category she is likely in, and tells me the hospital will likely not miss her.

I think at times we are all guilty of being misguided into what reality is like based on our own echo chambers and where we seek out news.  I'm as guilty of it as anyone.  I can see how following certain pages broadcasting the occasional nurse rally as if nurses are lining up en masse on every street corner could give the impression that this is widely supported amongst healthcare workers.  In my experience interacting with healthcare workers every single day (most of our friends are healthcare workers, their friends are healthcare workers, hospital dinners with hundreds of healthcare workers there, etc) I don't think that is reality.  Healthcare workers rallying against the vaccine instead of lining up to get theirs as fast as possible are still very much the exception and are more likely to be pariahs within their field than celebrated by them.  To the contrary, the majority of healthcare workers last year were begging for the vaccine.

Just my $.02.
Then why is there a staffing shortage if its not a significant number?

Then why is there a staffing shortage if its not a significant number?
Because it is a difficult job in normal times, nevermind during a pandemic. I think it is nearly impossible to pin the shortage on unvaccinated nurses that have either been fired or left their job

Hmmm, so now we are backing worker strikes?  My times have changed from a couple years ago when "right to work" laws were being passed to phase out unions

heck yes - power of the people is what Democrats love right? Occupy Wallstreet, Trump election nationwide rallies, BLM protests (aka riots), Defund Police ............ Democrats should be all in favor of walkouts to get what the workers want

If only there was a way, that we as individuals, could take some of the stress off of hospitals and health care workers.

Vaccine status and freedom lovers probably has a very strong overlap on a venn diagram.  If only they could just hurry up their process of all moving to wyoming or idaho or where ever it is.  The sooner that is done, the better 

Users who are viewing this thread