What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Booster Shots And Bureaucrats -- They're Playing Untoward Politics With Your Safety (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
Once again, the American people were held hostage by the centralized and politicized health authority branches, the FDA and the CDC, today. We were told, despite evidence to the contrary, that Americans above the age of twenty-nine that were seeking booster shots should not get them as a matter of policy when the science out of Israel reports modest increases in efficacy and safety for those who are above twenty-nine seeking the vaccine.

Once again the health agencies have shown why you -- yes, you -- ought to give them no heed and no truck. Instead of following the science, they have followed a politicized "follow the vaccine trail" whereby I am sure that their recommendation will come to oversee that our available vaccines are sent to Third World countries so that they may oversee a goal of a 10% vaccination rate, just like the World Health Organization, another body that should be blown up, had recommended just a month prior.

In case one couldn't have seen that coming, my friend Woodstock took out a thread a month ago entitled WHO ARE YOU?, whereby the ultimate thrust was to predict how the recommendation would provide Democratic politicians cover to ship our vaccines abroad to achieve levels that do not increase the protection of the rest of the world's population against a variant, but instead seek to combat a world optics problem that centers around diversity.

You are nothing but a number to a politician

They're dealing in aggregates and group impact. Whether it is Republicans who seek economy and supply chains over your safety, or Democrats who sing the language of diversity and world inoculation rates, you mean nothing anymore to these politicians. They will play with your health and your safety for political reasons, only the reasons will be different. Rest assured that if you are white, male, and over twenty-nine, you have been assigned an actuarial number by a governing body and it does not look good with respect to COVID, death rates, and prevention.

We need to tell politicians that we won't stand for this. The FDA and the CDC must immediately be told to cease operation and I recommend that they be re-staffed or disemboweled, never to be seen again. The "ethicists" that set foot in these organizations are nothing but utilitarians and monsters who DO NOT CARE if you, the individual, dies. Let me repeat: THEY DO NOT CARE IF YOU DIE. IF I COULD TYPE THIS WITH BLINK TAGS, I WOULD.

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH REGARDING THE SCIENCE

This is what has been decided today. Modest increases in protection have been overridden by cost, political, and other concerns.

Get your shot before they ship them abroad. I pray for your safety.

Love,

Rock Action

THEY ARE PLAYING POLITICS WITH YOUR SAFETY, FOLKS. DO NOT LET THEM DO IT.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are the same folks who were telling us not to wear masks in the early days of the pandemic.  The same people who kneecapped our ability to develop rapid testing -- Europe is still way ahead of us on that one.  The same people who slow-walked vaccine approval.  The same people who are slow-walking pediatric vaccination.  They've been wrong consistently, and they've done real damage by standing in the way of good policymaking at literally every stage of this thing.

Now you've got a bunch of people ignoring the science and making decisions based on factors like "vaccine equity."  Now, equitable distribution of vaccines is a legitimate issue, but it's not a scientific issue.  If elected officials decide to ban boosters for Americans so as to divert more vaccines to the third world, I can live with that.  (I wouldn't vote for that, but I can see why somebody might).  But that's a call for elected officials to make, not bureaucrats.

At this point, my preference is for Biden to thank the FDA committee for their work, relieve them of their responsibilities, and declare a 3-dose mRNA regimen fully approved -- Pfizer and Moderna both.  Not joking.  I'm okay with an FDA that serves as a watchdog, but not an FDA that sees itself as a gate-keeper.  Unfortunately, we have the latter, and it's been this way my entire life.  I don't think this agency can be reformed.  It needs to be de-Ba'athified.    

Haha, you guys are like the Hart brothers wrestling tag team on this topic.

I don’t know vaccine equity was part of the undercurrent why not yet approved.

Haha, you guys are like the Hart brothers wrestling tag team on this topic.

I don’t know vaccine equity was part of the undercurrent why not yet approved.

The New York Times almost came out and said, "this is why." I will admit to getting so mad I stopped reading. Please check the source and draw your own conclusions. The article focuses on the lack of science, but there, right there in the article, is the nugget of admission.

These words are code words.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On Monday, an international group of scientists, which included the departing F.D.A. officials, decried the push for boosters. In their review, published in The Lancet, the scientists analyzed dozens of studies and concluded that the world would be better served by using vaccine doses to protect the billions of people around the world who remain unvaccinated.

“Our primary goal here in this pandemic was, first of all, to avoid, to end all preventable deaths,” said Dr. Soumya Swaminathan, chief scientist at the World Health Organization and a co-author of The Lancet review. “And since we have the tools to do that very effectively, we should be using it to prevent deaths around the world.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/15/health/covid-booster-shot-data.html

The New York Times almost came out and said, "this is why." I will admit to getting so mad I stopped reading. Please check the source and draw your own conclusions. The article focuses on the lack of science, but there, right there in the article, is the nugget of admission.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On Monday, an international group of scientists, which included the departing F.D.A. officials, decried the push for boosters. In their review, published in The Lancet, the scientists analyzed dozens of studies and concluded that the world would be better served by using vaccine doses to protect the billions of people around the world who remain unvaccinated.

“Our primary goal here in this pandemic was, first of all, to avoid, to end all preventable deaths,” said Dr. Soumya Swaminathan, chief scientist at the World Health Organization and a co-author of The Lancet review. “And since we have the tools to do that very effectively, we should be using it to prevent deaths around the world.”

That particular reporter has been extremely helpful in illuminating how these decisions are made and what policy makers are really thinking about.  I've mentioned before how great social media has been for demystifying this sort of thing, and she's one of the specific reporters I have in mind.  It's as if they don't realize that we can see their tweets and we don't forget about them when we're reading their "straight news."

Here is the Lancet article's conclusion, put right into words without directly saying so-and-so. They're saying that a lack of available data, mixed with international concerns, should drive this decision. I don't mean to mislead anybody. The science is not fully settled as to its efficacy. But not only have there been no repercussions in older adults, there have been benefits shown to people over sixty.

"The vaccines that are currently available are safe, effective, and save lives. The limited supply of these vaccines will save the most lives if made available to people who are at appreciable risk of serious disease and have not yet received any vaccine. Even if some gain can ultimately be obtained from boosting, it will not outweigh the benefits of providing initial protection to the unvaccinated. If vaccines are deployed where they would do the most good, they could hasten the end of the pandemic by inhibiting further evolution of variants. Indeed, WHO has called for a moratorium on boosting until the benefits of primary vaccination have been made available to more people around the world.

This is a compelling issue, particularly as the currently available evidence does not show the need for widespread use of booster vaccination in populations that have received an effective primary vaccination regimen."

Doing your own research regarding science. FBGs arent scientists, so we should really just go with what the CDC says. Dont question it. 
I see that the slippery slope has already been if effect and that this was cloaked in irony. I guess if I had said all along to trust the FDA and CDC that this would be a problem. Problem is, I haven't. Because I've listened to people that have said not to listen to them, frankly. I'm guilty of disavowing them both, too, so I'm not sure what I can say other than reasonable adults believe in vaccines and trust Pfizer and Moderna more than not. I guess that's really what I'm saying when it comes down to it. I trust Big Pharma because of the profit motive and their desire to help humanity at times.

I do not trust the regulatory capture of the FDA.

The science is not settled. Consenting adults should be able to get this shot. If the FDA holds up boosters as a matter of policy, they have done a grave disservice to the American people.

I see that the slippery slope has already been if effect and that this was cloaked in irony. I guess if I had said all along to trust the FDA and CDC that this would be a problem. Problem is, I haven't. Because I've listened to people that have said not to listen to them, frankly. I'm guilty of disavowing them both, too, so I'm not sure what I can say other than reasonable adults believe in vaccines and trust Pfizer and Moderna more than not. I guess that's really what I'm saying when it comes down to it. I trust Big Pharma because of the profit motive and their desire to help humanity at times.

I do not trust the regulatory capture of the FDA.

The science is not settled. Consenting adults should be able to get this shot. If the FDA holds up boosters as a matter of policy, they have done a grave disservice to the American people.
I think you can get one if you want, go for it. 

It would be funny though if they try to mandate the first two shots and then make the third illegal.  Horrible messaging either way. 

I think you can get one if you want, go for it. 

It would be funny though if they try to mandate the first two shots and then make the third illegal.  Horrible messaging either way. 
You laugh, but if there's anything we've learned over the past six or so years it's that today's joke is tomorrow's sober reality.

You laugh, but if there's anything we've learned over the past six or so years it's that today's joke is tomorrow's sober reality.
There was nothing about his statement that struck me as ironically funny (the statement about banning a third shot or making it restricted or illegal). It seemed par for the course, actually. I'm not going to hop up and down with emotion like I effectively did last night and this morning, but hearing that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Our favorite NYT covid reporter is back on the case, this time apparently tripling the number of children who have been hospitalized with covid-19.

Users who are viewing this thread