What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Approach to trades? (1 Viewer)

Quilman83

Footballguy
What's the approach to trading that works best for you? In both leagues where you can contact the players, and ones with limited contact (ESPN online only leagues)

Asking a guy what they need? Proposing a trade cold after analyzing rosters?

Don't think about what you need, think about what your potential traden partners need.

Vulnerable spots for trade partners

1) injuries to starters

2) bye weeks

3) touch matchups 

4) find good, not obvious buy low spots 

My approach is to first look at his roster to determine possible need and the second thing is to make my best offer with my initial offer, or something close to it.  I know there are those that scoff at that and some even like to lowball with the first offer, but over the years I find that avoiding the haggling and possible shut down early, it is best to make your best offer first.  I also find this makes future trades easier.  Now I'm not above never making a bad offer, but it is rare and usually it is a result of not being accurate with the assessment the other guy has on a player.

Last edited by a moderator:
My approach is to first look at his roster to determine possible need and the second thing is to make my best offer with my initial offer, or something close to it.  I know there are those that scoff at that and some even like to lowball with the first offer, but over the years I find that avoiding the haggling and possible shut down early, it is best to make your best offer first.  I also find this makes future trades easier.  Now I'm not above never making a bad offer, but it is rare and usually it is a result of not being accurate with the assessment the other guy has on a player.

I think you’re dynasty but I gave the same approach in redraft. I want the trade to make sense for both parties.

generally I try to avoid like for like. I’m not interested in trading WR1s or RB2s or switching TEs. I would have drafted your guys if I really wanted them lol. so I’m moving a position I have a surplus (I.d., wa good at RB but picked up Ty’son or Elijah) to shore up a weakness.

Don't think about what you need, think about what your potential traden partners need.

Vulnerable spots for trade partners

1) injuries to starters

2) bye weeks

3) touch matchups 

4) find good, not obvious buy low spots 
2) trading them a backup to cover one week? this is an acceptable approach? they wouldn't just grab a guy off the wire?
3) meaning they don't wanna play a player that week, working like a semi-bye?
4) having trouble following. do you mean where players are trending down, but maybe haven't bottomed out yet?

I think you’re dynasty but I gave the same approach in redraft. I want the trade to make sense for both parties.

generally I try to avoid like for like. I’m not interested in trading WR1s or RB2s or switching TEs. I would have drafted your guys if I really wanted them lol. so I’m moving a position I have a surplus (I.d., wa good at RB but picked up Ty’son or Elijah) to shore up a weakness.
I've been imaging something somewhat similar. Shoring up a league member's weakness, and trading my starter, in hopes of getting a stud. I'm told that 2for 1 or 3 for 1 trades are rare tho.

I've been imaging something somewhat similar. Shoring up a league member's weakness, and trading my starter, in hopes of getting a stud. I'm told that 2for 1 or 3 for 1 trades are rare tho.
Usually with 2 for 1 and 3 for 1 trades you have a guy that's trying to dump guys he will never start (not always) in hopes of getting a stud.   That's usually a bad approach and doesn't work with savvy players.  It only pisses them off.  However, It's a little trickier in dynasty or devy leagues because of prospects and draft picks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My approach is to first look at his roster to determine possible need and the second thing is to make my best offer with my initial offer, or something close to it.  

+1.  And I am definitely in the camp that wants this in return. Want to be sure we don't trade?  Make me a low-ball offer.  Make me a reasonable offer... for an area of need on my squad and we can talk shop.

*Your offer has to make sense for the other team...it just sucks when you get an offer and you ask yourself "why the well would I do that!"

*Do not be afraid to overpay a little in talent if it makes your roster stronger.

*I find the #1 way to get a trade done is to communicate over the phone...a real conversation allows you to really figure out how the other guy values his/your players...often you can start on one path and it goes to another once you find out he actually likes someone on your roster much more than you do.

*Always make fair offers...maintains your credibility

Users who are viewing this thread