What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official**** Det at GB (-11.5) MNF 48.5 O/U (1 Viewer)

BobbyLayne

Footballguy
Lions +425, Packers -600

DET: Over is 5-1 in Lions' last six games vs. NFC North

GB: Packers are 8-1 against the spread in their last nine games following a straight-up loss

s/b 8 so fantasy relevant players tonight:

Rodgers, Adams, Jones, Tonyan, GB DST, Hock, Swift, Williams

Now there ain’t nobody starting him but Goff was a top 5 QB thanks to garbage time last week

The Lions will be wearing all white - first time wearing white pants since 1949

Packers won 24 straight in Wisconsin 1992-2014 including playoffs. Lions won on the road in 2015, ‘17, and ‘18. GB has swept Detroit the last two years.

The Lions swept GB in 2017 and 2018, which is a lifetime ago in NFL years.

2015 MNF game in Detroit, GB came back from down 20 to win on a 61 yard Hail Mary (untimed down following a “face mask” call) - Rodgers threw the ball 65 yards in the air.

Lions +425, Packers -600

DET: Over is 5-1 in Lions' last six games vs. NFC North

GB: Packers are 8-1 against the spread in their last nine games following a straight-up loss

s/b 8 so fantasy relevant players tonight:

Rodgers, Adams, Jones, Tonyan, GB DST, Hock, Swift, Williams

Now there ain’t nobody starting him but Goff was a top 5 QB thanks to garbage time last week

The Lions will be wearing all white - first time wearing white pants since 1949

Packers won 24 straight in Wisconsin 1992-2014 including playoffs. Lions won on the road in 2015, ‘17, and ‘18. GB has swept Detroit the last two years.

The Lions swept GB in 2017 and 2018, which is a lifetime ago in NFL years.

2015 MNF game in Detroit, GB came back from down 20 to win on a 61 yard Hail Mary (untimed down following a “face mask” call) - Rodgers threw the ball 65 yards in the air.
Man, I remember watching that 2015 game from a hotel in Orlando.  I was on the phone with my dad, who was just so pissed to be losing to the Lions. ;)

Will be at the game tonight with @trader jake

Go Packers!

Need 15 yards from Hockenson. Really didn't like my chances with a 1 point lead facing Hill last night. Sometimes fantasy football is random.

I do think its going to be a pretty high scoring game tonight. Green Bay will almost certainly bounce back on offense, but the defense is very banged up already. 

What do you need tonight ??

I need Jamal and A. Amos to get 18 pts more than Goff

Ruh Roh
would be a fine separate thread but def relevant - lot of matchups being decided tonight

I am down 56.09 in full PPR

Opp has only Tonyan

Good guys:

Adams (22.70)

Swift (16.78)

Hockenson (14.14)

GB (12.98)

Thats 66.60

Tonyan is projected for 11.25

coin flip rn

You'd think with a female owner they would know that you aren't supposed to wear white after Labor Day.
Interesting history behind that rule. It’s a classist thing.

The 19th century society ladies - the ones we call the ladies who lunch bc they have no ambition or need for a career - were engaged in an invisible battle with the nouveau riche, one that could only be won by the subtle manipulation of fashion. The "you can't wear white after Labor Day," rule was created to separate the old money elitists from the new money group. The in crowd knew the rules, the newcomers showed they didn’t belong bc they didn’t. 1885 version of mean girls.

Coco Chanel and others blew this up 50 years ago but it’s one of those idioms that stuck.

Now not wearing white to a wedding, that’s still timeless. 80 percent of brides still wear white and they should stand out on their special day.

I’m just grateful the Twitterverse hadn’t drawn a connection between all white and waving surrender. We don’t expect them to win more than a handful this year, but we do want to see some knee biting fight.

I don't need anything fantasy wise but i'm eyeing a teaser of Packers -5.5 and Over 42.5. I don't like double digit NFL spreads. 

I don't need anything fantasy wise but i'm eyeing a teaser of Packers -5.5 and Over 42.5. I don't like double digit NFL spreads. 
presuming that’s not a typo bet the house on that 

I think over is the play 48.0-48.5, these defenses are not good

I would love to see a good game tonight but Detroit seems overmatched plus teams have been feasting this weekend that suffered embarrassing losses the week before. Seems logical that Rodgers and the entire offense will put up at least 28-35 point tonight which should be plenty. The Packers defense seems prime for a big turnover in this one. 

Would love to see Goff build on last week and prove he can play QB in the NFL Loved the Jamaal WIlliams interview where he talks about going from GB to Detroit. 

Green Bay 35...Detroit 17 but would like to see a game still in doubt come the 4th, not much action on any of it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoard subtly flipping the switch with some unbridled sexism.

Do I laugh at this or not? He dares you to.

Multivariate calculus, Hoard. Always.
Lions are on a youth movement. Martha Firestone Ford (turned 96 last week) turned it over to Sheila Hamp Ford (a mere septuagenarian) last year. Things are a lot hipper now at Allen Patk.

But seriously, she has made some great hires Spielman, Brad Holmes, MCDC.) The new folks have  transformed a toxic culture under Quinn/Patrica into a hopeful rebuild.

Keep an eye on #58. He’s pretty good. And in a couple weeks, he’ll be old enough to buy a beer.

The 19th century society ladies - the ones we call the ladies who lunch bc they have no ambition or need for a career - were engaged in an invisible battle with the nouveau riche, one that could only be won by the subtle manipulation of fashion. The "you can't wear white after Labor Day," rule was created to separate the old money elitists from the new money group. The in crowd knew the rules, the newcomers showed they didn’t belong bc they didn’t. 1885 version of mean girls.
There was a rather crude TV comedy that showed some of this in action. It's called Another Period and takes place in early 1900's Rhode Island. They had their share of nitwits back then also. 

Lions are on a youth movement. Martha Firestone Ford (turned 96 last week) turned it over to Sheila Hamp Ford (a mere septuagenarian) last year. Things are a lot hipper now at Allen Patk.

But seriously, she has made some great hires Spielman, Brad Holmes, MCDC.) The new folks have  transformed a toxic culture under Quinn/Patrica into a hopeful rebuild.

Keep an eye on #58. He’s pretty good. And in a couple weeks, he’ll be old enough to buy a beer.
Oh yeah, I'm actually familiar, BL. I did not know she was a septuagenarian, though. I thought she was younger.

I had to look up who #58 is, though. I loathe non-positional requirements. Just makes it harder to watch a game.

Wow y’all gettin this party stayed early! 

I’ve gotta put in a few hours work at the hot sauce mines, digging for that sweet elixir, so don’t drink all the bourbon before I get there.

:pickle:

BL, this is American cultural history in a nutshell.

The modern form of this are things like "Did you like Limp Bizkit when they were popular?" If you did, you're low class. Unless you knew they were low class at the time (I did) and still preferred their idiocy to certain other modes of modern music anyway (I'm ambivalent about that).

There was a rather crude TV comedy that showed some of this in action. It's called Another Period and takes place in early 1900's Rhode Island. They had their share of nitwits back then also. 
Like around Newport? Could totally see that.

Some beautiful old homes along what’s called the Cliff Walk. Many major tycoons and industrialists - the celebrities of the day - built grand summer homes on the water. Great weekend trip, would recommend.

What do you need tonight ??

I need Jamal and A. Amos to get 17 pts more than Goff

Ruh Roh
Interesting.  

Contrast to my 0-fer last week (including playoff fantasty baseball)...Im up in all leagues.

One Ive already won by 40...and still have Jones and Tonyan tonight.

Another Im up 25 and have Swift (with MVS as a fall back if Swift has a setback in warmups) vs. Davante.

Another Im up 30 with Rodgers left vs. Aaron Jones.

BL, this is American cultural history in a nutshell.

The modern form of this are things like "Did you like Limp Bizkit when they were popular?" If you did, you're low class. Unless you knew they were low class at the time (I did) and still preferred their idiocy to certain other modes of modern music anyway (I'm ambivalent about that).
that was me and prog rock in the 70s

I loved Yes, Jetgro Tull, Kansas, ELP, Rush, early early Genesis (Wind & Wuthering or earlier ONLY.) But when everyone else started loving it I bailed and moved on to punk/post-punk.

Like around Newport? Could totally see that.

Some beautiful old homes along what’s called the Cliff Walk. Many major tycoons and industrialists - the celebrities of the day - built grand summer homes on the water. Great weekend trip, would recommend.
Not to be too much on the brainwave, but I have done that trip one weekend as a tenth-grader. Would also highly recommend before politics get in the way of appreciating opulence.

Not to be too much on the brainwave, but I have done that trip one weekend as a tenth-grader. Would also highly recommend before politics get in the way of appreciating opulence.

Continuing the chamber of commerce theme, Newport Jazz and Newport Folk are legendary festival events, should we ever get back to a normal summer.

I’m curious to hear people’s opinion of Dan Campbell.

I think it’s a mixed bag nationally. Bar Stool Sports and Pat Mcafee et so think he’s awesome. A lot of “smart people” think he’s a joke,

Around Michigan and on Lions centric sites, I would judge there is an overwhelmingly positive approval rating. We love the energy he and Holmes, and the coaching staff hires were stellar. First time I can remember sought after guys choosing Detroit over other opportunities.

The basic blueprint I think, is for them to emulate what the Dolphins did three years ago. Or at least most of it.

- jettison the franchise QB for future draft picks

- take the cap hit now and clear out all dead money

- no long term deals for veterans (exception for Pro Bowl center Frank Ragnow)

- minimal free agent spending this year

- draft with a long view in mind, ignoring resent needs to take a BPA approach

- wait on alpha WR and face of the franchise QB

- build the team from the inside to the outside. focus on building great lines from rest,

- add speed later.

Fans are buying in. We know it’s a long process to do a total rebuild (though in today’s NFL, not as long as we traditionally thought. We have a GREAT offensive line. We have some good pieces on the D. Other than a few play,sites everyone on this board already knows, not much else. We expect 13-15 losses in 2021.

presuming that’s not a typo bet the house on that 

I think over is the play 48.0-48.5, these defenses are not good

Correct, but if you bet a teaser you get 6 points either way. So a 48.5 O/U would be 42.5 Over or 54.5 Under. 

Correct, but if you bet a teaser you get 6 points either way. So a 48.5 O/U would be 42.5 Over or 54.5 Under. 

my friend I only recently learned what +200 or -250 betting odds mean.

#nongambler

literally the only thing I “bet” on is the FF hobby.

Total has moved up to 49 at many outlets. I'm leaning under. No Z. Smith for the Packers. For the Lions to be at their best, they have to do things on offense that generally run time off the clock. I don't think the Packers will be able to stop the Lions from how they like to operate. On the flipside, I don't think there's going to be any need for fireworks on the Packers side to win. They should be able to do what they do, also, which also is going to run time off the clock, as well. Not sure there's going to be more than a 2-possession margin between the two for most of the game, either, so not much sense of urgency on either Team's part, or need to conserve clock. Don't really think it's going to be a very exciting game. In the end, I think time runs out before the 2 combine for more than 50 points. 27-17 sounds about right to me.

Total has moved up to 49 at many outlets. I'm leaning under. No Z. Smith for the Packers. For the Lions to be at their best, they have to do things on offense that generally run time off the clock.
I’m not saying their weekly plan is throw the ball 57 times but they did run 92 plays last week. 49ers ran 55.

FWIW, most Lions defenders checked in with coverage grades between 35 and 62. S Tracy Walker had the best passer rating at 95 sumtin. Rodgers and Adam’s should have elite games.

Lions have a pair of impressive rookie DTs and  two decent Edge rushers. The back 7 are a disaster though. Rookies starting at both Corners.

Fire up all your Packers with confidence.

Rumors are that there will be 30 mph wind gusts tonight. Could make for a lot of runs and check downs. Jones and Swift looking like better plays. 

Rogers after a loss,Goff in primetime,national home opener,nasty weather possible. I'm afraid those tidy whities are going to get soiled...inside and out.

Aaron ( I told you not to worry) and The Packers- 44.......They went to Jared Lions- 17

Rogers after a loss,Goff in primetime,national home opener,nasty weather possible. I'm afraid those tidy whities are going to get soiled...inside and out.

Aaron ( I told you not to worry) and The Packers- 44.......They went to Jared Lions- 17
I've got a MNF theory, always bet the opposite side of the no-brainer

Take the Lions and the points

Rumors are that there will be 30 mph wind gusts tonight. Could make for a lot of runs and check downs. Jones and Swift looking like better plays. 
In GB right now.  Weather is supposed to be dry-ish during game time.  Might rain a bit in the 4th quarter.   Winds at 13 mph.

Can Lions' rebrand stand glare of prime-time's bright lights?

John Niyo

The Detroit News

Green Bay, Wis. — First impressions matter. But so do seconds and thirds, really, especially if you’re planning on sticking around.

The Lions, of all teams, should understand that by now. And for a franchise that is once again trying to rebrand itself as something other than what it has been for far too long, this trip to Lambeau Field for a “Monday Night Football” clash with the Green Bay Packers is an opportunity to make a statement, I suppose.

Last week’s season-opening loss to San Franciscowas one thing. But Monday night's game against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers is something else altogether. It’s a divisional matchup on the road, but it’s also a prime-time showcase for everything Dan Campbell is selling as the Lions’ new head coach.

That means nothing when it comes to Monday night's game plan — a little rain in the forecast probably won’t hurt the run-oriented Lions, by the way — and it’s far too early for any sort of referendum on the program Campbell and first-year general manager Brad Holmes are trying to build in Detroit. But fair or not, it will be a frame of reference for how they’ll be received and perceived going forward.l

For now, Campbell’s a bit of a caricature outside of Detroit, an overcaffeinated tough guy talking about biting kneecaps and such. Yet while that introductory message was intended solely for the Lions’ long-suffering fanbase, what happens Monday night is what everyone else will remember for quite some time.

The Lions, as you may have noticed, don’t get many of these games. The NFL schedule-makers gave the Packers five prime-time games this season, while the Lions received just one. In fact, Detroit is one of only four teams — Carolina, Cincinnati and Jacksonville are the others — to have just one prime-time kickoff in each of the last three seasons.

That doesn’t include their traditional Thanksgiving Day game in Detroit. But aside from some late-window West Coast kickoffs, this will be it when it comes to marquee TV games for the Lions this season.

Maybe that’s a good thing for a team that’s in the early stages of a rebuild, and for a franchise that hasn’t fared very well under the bright lights.

The Lions went a decade between Monday Night Football appearances before making a triumphant return in 2011 with a raucous win over the Bears at Ford Field. But since then, they’ve played 11 MNF games and won just four, all of them under Jim Caldwell. They’re 6-18 in all prime-time games over the last decade, and 11-23 if you include Thanksgiving games.

In science class, that’s how a hypothesis becomes a theory. In the NFL, and specifically in Detroit, it’s just one more reason the coaching carousel keeps spinning.

Matt Patricia’s debut was a season-opening debacle in prime time: an ominous 48-17 loss to the Jets. He did beat his mentor, Bill Belichick, in a Sunday night game a couple of weeks later. But Patricia's only other Monday night appearance was the controversial 23-22 loss at Lambeau that was best remembered for questionable penalties called on Trey Flowers in the fourth quarter. In some ways, that Lambeau loss was the beginning of the end for Patricia and his general manager, Bob Quinn.

Likewise, Jim Schwartz’s tenure in Detroit effectively ended with an 18-16 loss to Baltimore on Monday Night Football. Even Caldwell, for all his relative success here, struggled to recover after a home loss to the Steelers in a nationally-televised Sunday night game.

This is only the beginning for Campbell, obviously. But a respectable showing against the Packers — to say nothing of a victory as a double-digit underdog — would provide some early validation.

“Certainly, this will be a tough opponent,” Campbell said. “They’ve been kind of the gold standard in this division for a long time, and rightfully so.”

The Packers have won the NFC North in seven of the last nine seasons, and they’ve won 14 division titles since the Lions’ last did it in 1993. They’ve also gone 28-8 the last two seasons, with two trips to the NFC championship game.

But after an offseason spent wondering whether Rodgers would ever play another game for the Packers, the team got routed by New Orleans, 38-3, in Week 1. Now they're back home desperate to make a statement of their own, though their famously relaxed quarterback downplayed that angst angle this week.

“If we’re starting to freak out after one week,” Rodgers said, “we’re in big trouble.”

Still, Green Bay hadn’t lost a season opener since 2014, and the Packers haven’t started a season 0-2 since 2006, when Brett Favre was still the starting quarterback. So the Lions certainly could cause a little trouble here, if they’re up to the challenge.

“I know this: New Orleans kicked the hornets’ nest,” Campbell said. “So, we’re going to get everything they’ve got and we have to assume we’re going to get their ‘A’-game.”

And given the Lions’ track record under the lights, that’s just one more reason why this can’t just be a game for the Lions. Not if they want to be taken seriously anytime soon, that is. 

Nobody notices very often, but we are living in a golden age of punters.

Of the 20 best careers for Punting Average, 15 have been since 2000.

Of the 50 best individual seasons for Punting Average, 24 belong to active players.

As a rookie, Detroit’s Jack Fox finished 3rd with a 49.1 average. That was 13th best season in the history of the league.

He made the Pro Bowl primarily bc his net average - accounting for return yards and touchbacks - was 45.3, good for 2nd in the league. Put 26 inside the 20. One kick travelled from his own 13 to the opponents 15.

During training camp, a heat wave caused the Lions to move indoors one day in July. Detroit has a state of the art, 225,000 square foot indoor facility in Allen Park with a full field. The exterior of building is 110’ high. At the edge of the ceiling, the cross trusses meet the side support header beam. Fox spent the day kicking balls into a corner - 100’ feet off the ground? Reporters standing there said each kick went into a narrow gap between two beams that appeared to be no more than 12-18” wide. Ball after ball, precisely the same spot.

When they want to down a ball inside the 5, he does that thing where the ball does not turn over - mind you this travels 45-50 yards - so when it lands it bounces straight up instead of bouncing into the end zone. Also the FG holder, handles kickoffs, and has a hilarious Twitter feed. @mrjackfox

Anyway, he’s kind of good. He might be busy tonight, and it’s worth waiting until after the punt before you go to the kitchen.

I'm watching for a couple of bench players on my FF team, Tonyan and Dillon. As a Dolphin fan, watching a bottom 3 oline again in 2021, I'll be paying attention to Sewell to see if he's generational or just above average. It may become an obsession if he's really good.

I'm watching for a couple of bench players on my FF team, Tonyan and Dillon. As a Dolphin fan, watching a bottom 3 oline again in 2021, I'll be paying attention to Sewell to see if he's generational or just above average. It may become an obsession if he's really good.

Same - have several shares of Dillon but have seen very little of him.

WRT Penei, obviously it’s too early to tell. He struggled in preseason trying to learn Right Tackle. Different punch hand, opposite footwork, leverage is different. They didn’t find out Decker was gonna need hand surgery until 4-5 days before the opener, so he had limited reps at his preferred spot. Had a stellar game against Nick Bosa, an elite Edge rusher, and his run blocking was even better. Said afterwards it was alright but thought he could do better going forward. Bosa and Sewell’s teammates praised him, kind of amazing a 20 year who hadn’t played in 21 months could step right into LT.

But let’s wait n see, it was just one game. Most Lions fans are thrilled this regime is focusing on developing the lines before acquiring speed at the skill positions.

Well I don’t hold up much hope of the Lions doing anything here, so I put on an accumulator ( a parley i think you guys call it ). 

Scantling anytime TD

Hockenson anytime TD 

Rodgers throws for over 281.5 yards 

Goff above 0.5 INTS

Swift above 28.5 yards receiving 

Adam’s anytime TD

Packers to win 

55/1 - £40 stake wins £2240 

Well I don’t hold up much hope of the Lions doing anything here, so I put on an accumulator ( a parley i think you guys call it ). 

Scantling anytime TD

Hockenson anytime TD 

Rodgers throws for over 281.5 yards 

Goff above 0.5 INTS

Swift above 28.5 yards receiving 

Adam’s anytime TD

Packers to win 

55/1 - £40 stake wins £2240 

Is this one of the rare times you’ll get to see the lads?

Or do you have better things to do at 3am? lol

Timmay said:
Need a bigish game from Jones (a hair under 26 points in 1/2 PPR, 1/2 pt 1stDwn) so I'll take any act of god I can take.

Is this one of the rare times you’ll get to see the lads?

Or do you have better things to do at 3am? lol
I usually religiously watch at 6pm on a Sunday evening when I’m not working. This one is coinciding with two weeks off work and the wife off to Serbia today to see her family for the first time in 2 years so I’ve got the house to myself, a good Scottish single malt, and no responsibilities to deal with tomorrow so I’m in for the long haul if I don’t fall asleep first !!

Same - have several shares of Dillon but have seen very little of him.

WRT Penei, obviously it’s too early to tell. He struggled in preseason trying to learn Right Tackle. Different punch hand, opposite footwork, leverage is different. They didn’t find out Decker was gonna need hand surgery until 4-5 days before the opener, so he had limited reps at his preferred spot. Had a stellar game against Nick Bosa, an elite Edge rusher, and his run blocking was even better. Said afterwards it was alright but thought he could do better going forward. Bosa and Sewell’s teammates praised him, kind of amazing a 20 year who hadn’t played in 21 months could step right into LT.

But let’s wait n see, it was just one game. Most Lions fans are thrilled this regime is focusing on developing the lines before acquiring speed at the skill positions.
What’s interesting about this last paragraph is that Quinn made it a point to be trying to do the same - building from the lines out. I think he may  have even stated that that was his modus operandi when he joined us. Certainly, the draft stock spent, and free agency signings, would back that narrative - Decker/Crosby/Wagner/Ragnow/Glasgow/Flowers/Lang/Snacks etc etc. His drafting was probably around average at best, but it was the terrible coaching, head and positional, that really didn’t allow any of these investments to equate to anything. 

Users who are viewing this thread