What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR John Metchie III, HOU (1 Viewer)

USA Today named Alabama junior WR John Metchie as a preseason first-team All-American. 

Metchie (6'0/195) joins Ohio State WR Chris Olave as the two, first-team All-American wideouts according to USA Today. With the departure of DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle, Metchie is the leading returning receiver for the Tide, securing 55-of-76 passes for 916 yards, 16.7 YPC and six touchdowns. The Alabama wideout is expected to lineup alongside Slade Bolden in the slot, but the other starting outside receiver spot is very much up for grabs between Jameson Williams, Javon Baker and Agiye Hall. Alabama opens their 2021 campaign September 4 against Miami in a neutral site affair taking place in Atlanta. 

SOURCE: USA Today

Aug 12, 2021, 10:55 AM ET

Alabama WR John Metchie is drawing high praise from Miami HC Manny Diaz.

Alabama junior WR John Metchie (6'0 /195) has received no shortage of recognition ahead of the 2021 season, and that extends to the head coach of the Crimson Tide's first opponent of the year. Miami HC Manny Diaz went so far as to say that Metchie would have been the No. 1 WR on 95% of college teams last year. When considering how talented Alabama seems to always be at the position and the success Metchie has had, that bold statement no longer seems quite so bold. Metchie is the leading returning receiver for Alabama, after he reeled in 55-of-76 passes for 916 yards, 16.7 YPC and six touchdowns.

SOURCE: Michael Casagrande on Twitter

Sep 2, 2021, 11:37 AM ET

Alabama junior WR John Metchie had six receptions for 49 yards in Saturday’s 31-29 victory over Florida.

Metchie didn’t score a touchdown, but he was heavily targeted by QB Bryce Young in a game where yardage proved harder to come by for Alabama than it typically is. Metchie, a Taiwanese-born native of Canada, now has 17 catches through three games. The Crimson Tide frittered away a late-third quarter 28-16 lead, ultimately needing to stop a Gator 2-point conversion attempt with 3:10 remaining to win in regulation. The 3-0 Tide have a quasi-bye coming next week with Southern Miss scheduled.

Sep 18, 2021, 7:50 PM ET

Alabama junior WR John Metchie had 11 receptions for 121 yards and two touchdowns in Alabama's 52-24 win over Tennessee. 

Metchie (6'0"/195) was open constantly, and Young found him. He set season highs in receptions, yards and touchdowns in this one. Surprisingly it wasn't huge plays where Alabama made their money, but constant medium completions all over the field and Metchie was the biggest recipient. Metchie scored on two slants, the first was slightly behind him but Metchie did a great job to reach back and snag it. His second one he showed off his speed, taking a short slant across the whole width of the field and into the end zone, sneaking right past the pylon. Metchie has had his two best games of the season in back-to-back weeks, and seems to be heating up at the right time. Hopefully next week's bye doesn't cool him off, as he is forming a deadly 1-2 punch with Jameson Williams. 

Oct 23, 2021, 11:20 PM ET

Alabama junior WR John Metchie caught nine passes for 73 yards with a touchdown in a 20-14 win over LSU on Saturday. 

Metchie (6'0/195) broke a 7-75 tie with a short touchdown in the second quarter from Bryce Young. It's his third straight game of scoring, and he's up to six receiving touchdowns on the season. It seems pretty likely he'll keep this scoring streak up, as there's no one capable of covering Metchie on the New Mexico State roster. 

Nov 6, 2021, 10:31 PM ET

Alabama junior WR John Metchie caught 10 passes for 173 yards and a touchdown in Alabama's 42-35 win over Arkansas.

Metchie (6'0"/195) has been slightly overshadowed by the success of teammate Jameson Williams this season, but he had a fantastic game of his own in this one. On Alabama's first touchdown drive, Metchie accounted for 70 yards on three catches, including the touchdown. He was constantly getting open and making big plays and big grabs. It's been an up and down year for Metchie, but he's been playing his best football as of late, right in time to face off against Auburn in the Iron Bowl next Saturday.

Nov 21, 2021, 1:21 AM ET

Alabama junior WR John Metchie caught six passes for 97 yards and a touchdown in Alabama's 41-24 win over Georgia.

Metchie (6'0"/195) unfortunately left the game early, going down with a non-contact leg injury right before the half. He was destructive in the time he did play though. Alabama's second touchdown drive which game them the lead for the rest of the game was all Metchie. He hauled in a perfectly floated ball by Bryce Young for a 40-yard gain down the sideline. He then finished the drive, going to exactly where Young pointed and beating his man there to score. Metchie was able to stand and walk without assistance, so hopefully it's not too bad but coach Nick Saban said Metchie probably will be out. He did not elaborate on how long. Metchie has really been coming into his own recently, and his absence will be a major blow to the Crimson Tide.

Dec 4, 2021, 9:19 PM ET

Alabama junior WR John Metchie (knee) will miss the remainder of the season with a torn ACL according to head coach Nick Saban.

Saban confirmed the worst on Sunday, announcing that Metchie (6'0/195) suffered a torn ACL in Saturday's 41-24 win over Georgia. Metchie when down on a non-contact play in the second quarter and limped off the field under his own power, but speculation around his knee and a potential season-ending injury immediately entered the minds of everybody watching. Saban hinted after the game that Metchie may miss the rest of the season, but that was officially confirmed on Sunday. He finishes the season with 96 receptions for 1,142 yards and eight touchdowns as the Tide will now focus on how to win a championship without him. Alabama faces Cincinnati in the Cotton Bowl on December 31st.

SOURCE: Mike Rodak on Twitter

Dec 5, 2021, 4:52 PM ET

Alabama junior WR John Metchie declared for the NFL Draft.

Even though he tore his ACL in the SEC Championship game, Metchie (6'0/195) declared for the NFL Draft. In recent years, teams have been less worried about ACL injuries in the draft, seeing players still drafted high in the first round with them. Metchie has world class speed and is really good in the open field with the football, amassing 96 receptions for 1,142 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He is a likely day two selection in the draft assuming the prognosis on his knee comes back positive.

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

Jan 14, 2022, 8:43 PM ET

The Athletic's Jeff Howe is reporting that former Alabama WRs John Metchie and Jameson Williams are "on an accelerated road to recovery" following surgeries to repair torn ACLs.

Metchie suffered his torn ACL in early December during Alabama's SEC Championship game against Georgia, while Williams tore his in January's national championship game. According to Howe, Dr. Lyle Cain of Andrews Sports Medicine, who operated on both receivers, said that they are doing well and that he doesn't expect either to have issues with their knees. Both Metchie and Williams are highly-coveted prospects in this year's NFL Draft, with Williams projected by many as a first round selection. Any good news on their recoveries between now and the draft could add to their draft stock.

RELATED: 

Jameson Williams

SOURCE: The Athletic

Mar 11, 2022, 12:28 PM ET

The Game Day NFL's Jordan Schultz reports Alabama WR John Metchie is scheduled to meet with the Bills, Patriots and Jaguars this week.

Metchie (6'0/195) was one of two Alabama receivers to suffer torn ACLs in the final weeks of the season. Prior to going down in the SEC Championship game against Georgia, Metchie had posted a receiving line of 96-1142-8. An early declare, Metchie has gone for 900+ yards in each of his last two seasons, and averaged a solid 16.7 yards per reception in 2020. It's worth noting that Metchie also met with the Patriots in early March, and has ties to Patriots QB Mac Jones.

SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter

Apr 12, 2022, 1:03 PM ET

Texans traded up with the Browns to select Alabama WR John Metchie with the No. 44 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft. 

The Browns received the No. 68, No. 108 and No. 124 picks in return for the No. 44 pick. Metchie (6'1/187) declared for the draft after a largely disappointing three-year career at Alabama. Buried behind Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, Devonta Smith, and Jaylen Waddle as a freshman, Metchie didn't earn significant playing time until 2020. That was just in time to watch Jaylen Waddle emerge as a star and Devonta Smith win the Heisman. Metchie looked poised to play a primary role in 2021, but instead, Jameson Williams transferred to the program and operated as Alabama's No. 1 wide receiver. Metchie had a respectable 25% yardage share and earned second-team All-SEC honors, but unfortunately, his season was cut short by a torn ACL. As a result, Metchie becomes a tough player to project, given his injury timeline and spotty college resume. However, his lack of college production is somewhat understandable under challenging circumstances. He should fall somewhere on the Mecole Hardman spectrum.

Apr 29, 2022, 8:06 PM ET

A Round 2 Steal? What Texans Can Expect From Alabama WR John Metchie III

Excerpt:

A consistent machine at Alabama, John Metchie IIII hope to do the same thing for the Houston Texans

HOUSTON -- Houston Texans general manager Nick Caserio said during the pre-draft process that injuries wouldn't derail his thought process on adding in a certain player. Most connected the dots to Alabama receiver Jameson Williams, a speed threat that had been mocked to the Texans at No. 13 for quite some time. Right school, wrong receiver. The Texans elected to trade back into the second round to select Alabama's John Metchie III with the No. 44 selection. Metchie's final season at Alabama cemented him in the conversation of potentially being a first-round selection, but a torn ACL hampered his draft stock. "There's a standard in Alabama, especially for Alabama football receivers," Metchie said. "It's just an honor to be able to be one of those guys."

PFF Draft @PFF_College

Most 15+ yard receptions by an SEC WR since 2020: John Metchie - 51

https://twitter.com/pff_college/status/1507885112343494661?s=21

Metchie told reporters that he should be ready to begin drills starting in July. Caserio isn't banking on that. Then again, he isn't opposed to letting his future No. 2 receiver work drills before the start of training camp if he's healthy. There isn't a timetable on Metchie. When he's ready, he ready. That also was a factor that went into Caserio's process in terms of trading up.

PFF Draft @PFF_College

The Houston Texans pick Alabama WR John Metchie III at No. 44 overall.

ONE-THOUSAND YAC since 2020 (most in the Power Five) 🐘
https://twitter.com/pff_college/status/1520193208474603520?s=21

Speaking at rookie mini-camp, Texans coach Lovie Smith said the Texans expect rookie WR John Metchie III to play some time in 2022.

Smith emphasized that they're "in the process" of figuring out how far along the 2022 second-rounder is from the torn ACL he suffered in the SEC Championship game, and that the next few weeks would say a lot. "He's not 100 percent yet," Smith added. Metchie is a candidate to open training camp on the PUP list. 

SOURCE: Brooks Kubena on Twitter

May 13, 2022, 3:54 PM ET

Texans OC Pep Hamilton considers second-round WR John Metchie a man-coverage beater. 

"He can create his own yards once he gets the ball in his hands," Hamilton glowed. "He has good short-area quickness, which will allow him to beat man coverage, and that's what you got to do in the National Football League." Metchie is still recovering from his December ACL tear, but coach Lovie Smith has said he is "close" to returning. Only now turning 22 years old, Metchie's draft pedigree makes him an intriguing Dynasty league hold despite his sometimes-spotty college production and shaky pro landing spot. 

SOURCE: houstontexans.com

Jul 14, 2022, 4:34 PM ET

He just released a statement on Twitter saying he has a form of leukemia. It is apparently the most treatable form of leukemia.  He anticipates missing this season.

prayers up that he beats this.

Bummed. I really hoped he’d get a shot to take the lead in the receiver room and see our youth movement take hold. Naturally hope for a quick and complete recovery and maybe just means he’ll return to an even more sound squad next season. 

Awful news, I loved watching him play in college.  He has fallen to 3.09 in a slow rookie/FA draft I'm in.  Deciding between him and Trey McBride.  I am pretty stacked at WR and could wait a year, but could also stand to build a bit at TE with only Hockensen and Fant rostered.  Indications seem to be that it is treatable but who knows what the long term ramifications could be.

I know this is not AC forum but hoping to use my live draft to gauge where people are at with him after this news and maybe get some help in the process.

What did you decide?   I'm also trying to figure out at what point a Metchie stash becomes a value in my 1QB 1/2 PPR draft.

I preferred a healthy McBride just a bit more than a healthy Metchie, but my depth at WR contributed to that.   Without considering myself "in" on Metchie, I was debating whether I was obligated to take him at 3.11 in the unlikely event that he fell to that spot.   With the diagnosis, I'm definitely out on spending a 3rd.   However, I might be posed with the same question at the end of the 4th.   I think the value would be there at that point.   Easy pick for a rebuilding team, but I'm not sure that I love the idea of tying up the roster spot on a contender.   However, I think I would have to take him there.   He should be an attractive asset to a rebuilding team at the end of the season.   Maybe he nets me a strong DST with a great playoff schedule or a 3rd rounder in a good '23 draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
What did you decide?   I'm also trying to figure out at what point a Metchie stash becomes a value in my 1QB 1/2 PPR draft.

I preferred a healthy McBride just a bit more than a healthy Metchie, but my depth at WR contributed to that.   Without considering myself "in" on Metchie, I was debating whether I was obligated to take him at 3.11 in the unlikely event that he fell to that spot.   With the diagnosis, I'm definitely out on spending a 3rd.   However, I might be posed with the same question at the end of the 4th.   I think the value would be there at that point.   Easy pick for a rebuilding team, but I'm not sure that I love the idea of tying up the roster spot on a contender.   However, I think I would have to take him there.   He should be an attractive asset to a rebuilding team at the end of the season.   Maybe he nets me a strong DST with a great playoff schedule or a 3rd rounder in a good '23 draft.
I wasn’t high on him before the bad news.  I think he’s just a guy eating a roster spot now.

Texans coach DeMeco Ryans said WR John Metchie III will be "involved with our offseason program."

"At the right time, when the season comes, we’ll see where he is," Ryans added. Metchie missed last season while dealing with leukemia and while the Texans have generally been optimistic about his chances of coming back, we don't have much to go on here beyond those words. The Texans also signed Noah Brown to have a legitimate third receiver on the roster behind Nico Collins and Robert Woods, and that's before they potentially draft another wideout. Rostering Metchie in dynasty still makes sense, but he's far from assured to play a role this season.
SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports
Apr 11, 2023 at 5:26 PM ET

Texans coach DeMeco Ryans said John Metchie III (hamstring) is expected to be ready for training camp.

Metchie apparently suffered a hamstring strain early in the Texans offseason and Houston will take it easy with him. It's not a great sign for Metchie that he's not going to be able to take advantage of every bit of the offseason to show off to Houston's new offensive staff what he can do, but it's also not disqualifying him in any real way. However, the less Metchie plays, the more looks the team gets at Tank Dell.
SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
May 23, 2023 at 1:15 PM ET

Texans HC DeMeco Ryans said John Metchie III (hamstring) is "on target" to return for training camp.​

Metchie suffered a hamstring strain early this offseason and has been working his way back to the field. After missing all of last season with leukemia, the former second-round pick is expected to compete for significant playing time this season. The Texans don't open training camp until next month, giving Metchie some additional time to heal before things fully ramp up.
SOURCE: Click2Houston.com
Jun 14, 2023, 6:41 PM ET

Injuries are derailing this guy so far, not very optimistic for '23 right now.
He won't just be clear to practice and then start balling.
Houston does not have a real WR1 yet on the roster to help Stroud transition to the NFL

Reactions: Bri
Texans WR John Metchie (hamstring) was cleared for training camp.
Metchie has struggled through a hamstring injury over the past month. It appears he’s a full go for camp after missing his entire rookie season while undergoing treatment for leukemia. Metchie was a second-round pick in the 2022 draft after leading Alabama with 1,142 yards and eight receiving scores in 2021. He won’t face much target competition in what should be a run-first Houston offense this season, making him a late-round dart throw who could come into significant targets.

Users who are viewing this thread