What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Much Do We Expect From A WR / RB / TE Returning From Injury? (1 Viewer)

How Much Do We Expect From A WR / RB / TE Returning From Injury?

• 90-100%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Less than 70%

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
The Odell Beckham talk of return this week has me thinking.

How much do we expect of a RB or WR or TE when they return?

I mentioned on Twitter Thursday that Saquon Barkley didn't look special. 

I was inundated with people screaming I must be an idiot because in case I hadn't heard, he was returning from knee surgery.

I've always been mostly of the assumption that a player doesn't return from injury if he's not ready.

In other words, I wasn't inclined to cut Barkely a lot of slack and lower expectations.

I wonder if we should be doing this with Beckham? 

What do you folks think?

More specifically, if Beckham returns this week, what percent of his normal self do you expect him to be?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is position based.

When players return from injury, I think RB's take the most time to get back into the groove and to "trust" their injury because nearly every play they are taking a beating and they may look good and are 100% when they aren't in pads, but the movements RB's make or try to make are unique when in games. If I had to give a percentage on their normal self I'd say 75%. 

WR/TE/QB I think are more around 85-90%, their movements in game are similar to what they would be doing in practice and in rehab on a daily basis. They still have to worry about "trusting" their injury, but don't take the beating RB's do every snap. 

I think it is position based.

When players return from injury, I think RB's take the most time to get back into the groove and to "trust" their injury because nearly every play they are taking a beating and they may look good and are 100% when they aren't in pads, but the movements RB's make or try to make are unique when in games. If I had to give a percentage on their normal self I'd say 75%. 

WR/TE/QB I think are more around 85-90%, their movements in game are similar to what they would be doing in practice and in rehab on a daily basis. They still have to worry about "trusting" their injury, but don't take the beating RB's do every snap. 

That's a good point. 

I'll tweak the the original post. And also add in a poll.

With Beckham you've got to factor in that Landry is coincidentally injured at the same time, they're different types of receiver but it will increase the potential OBJ target share than if he wasn't

So many variables. Injury, position, recovery/rehab time, etc, etc.

I'll say I traded away Sutton last offseason cause I was doubtful he'd come back the same (plus addition of Jeudy). Looks like I will regret that (at least til Jeudy returns).

Knees are always iffy. But it depends a lot too (another factor) on playing style. A guy like Sutton relying mainly on size isn't going to be as dependent on that knee as a guy known for his route running and sharp cuts.

Pretty much, idk  :)

Users who are viewing this thread