What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is your current job your dream job? (1 Viewer)

Is your current job your dream job?

• Yes

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 83 82.2%

• Total voters

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
I was listening to the radio while on my way into work this morning, and they were talking about some poll where the results showed that 43% of those polled said that the job they were currently were in was their “dream job”.

Thar sounds way way too high to me so I wanted to setup a poll here. Though my guess is that it will skew high simply because I don’t think we have a high percentage of Walmart/McDonalds/manual labor type jobs posting here which seem more likely to answer no.

Dream job? No  my actual work sucks 

Am I very happy....yes.  lots of perks and benefits to the job.  Not the highest pay but very comfortable

I was listening to the radio while on my way into work this morning, and they were talking about some poll where the results showed that 43% of those polled said that the job they were currently were in was their “dream job”.

Thar sounds way way too high to me so I wanted to setup a poll here. Though my guess is that it will skew high simply because I don’t think we have a high percentage of Walmart/McDonalds/manual labor type jobs posting here which seem more likely to answer no.

I'm always skeptical of polls like this.  We will find out the question was actually - did you ever dream that you would have a job as good as the one you have now - or something else that turns in to "dream job".  There's no chance the actual number is any higher than 2-3% if people are being honest and even that is way too high.  But, as bell points out, just because my job isn't my dream job doesn't mean it's not a great job and I'm happy with it.

I'd retire, and be trout bum if I could......spend summers around Idaho/Montana/Wyoming.....maybe Patagonia or New Zealand in the winter.  

Thought about being a guide for a minute but it's not easy, and you don't  fish for yourself much......you take rich #######s who expect what they saw on the cover of a magazine......it'd be fun taking noobs who wanted to get "into it" though.

honestly, if I didn't have a wife, kids, mortgage, I'd prolly would be a trout bum.

I clicked "yes" on the grounds that I really like my job.  If I could start over again from high school (say), I would happily make the same decisions that landed me where I am today.  

Obviously I'd rather be quarterbacking the Buffalo Bills to yet another world championship, but my actual job is toward the top end of jobs that I could have realistically expected to land given how I rolled my character.

I voted yes. Is this the job I dreamed about when I was in high school and thinking about life? No. Is it a job I've been in for 23 years and worked my way up through two companies to get to were I'm at, securely in a place of some influence, good pay and benefits? Yes.

I'd argue that I never really had a "dream job" in mind so I think this is probably as close as it's going to get for me.

I clicked "yes" on the grounds that I really like my job.  If I could start over again from high school (say), I would happily make the same decisions that landed me where I am today.  

Obviously I'd rather be quarterbacking the Buffalo Bills to yet another world championship, but my actual job is toward the top end of jobs that I could have realistically expected to land given how I rolled my character.
I think that's all completely fair, but it doesn't really seem to be the question that was asked.

Yeah, this is obviously flawed. Obviously nobody "dreamed" of working in an office or owning their own HVAC operation. But given what's realistic (based on the availability of certain jobs and our own personal skill ceiling) some of us are in the best (or close to) possible spot.

In terms of the career path I chose, my personal abilities (I'm certainly not CEO material) and where I could be a few years from now, I'm in an incredible spot. Obviously I have bad days and rough patches and I'd much rather be playing centerfield for the Yankees, but that's not realistic.  I'm in a position doing work I (mostly) enjoy. I work with decent people, make good money and have built up enough of a network that I could be in a much bigger job in a couple of years (which would give the opportunity to retire pretty early) if I play my cards right.

12 year old me would be pretty annoyed with where I ended up. 25 year old me would be feeling pretty good. 37 year old me is feeling really good about it.

No such thing for me.  I chose a career that allowed me to live where I want with balance.  My career has provided for my family and will set me up in retirement.  My dream job - whatever that was - would have required me to make sacrifices I was unwilling to make.  

The dream was to open a small inn in Austria or Switzerland (possibly Northern lakes of Italy).  Now thinking about going tropical and opening a small plate rum bar.

Currently consulting in Sonoma County.  I really enjoy what I am doing right now... just want to get out this state of Covid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Voted yes because my current job is exactly where I wanted to be when I began my career.  However, the reality of my dream job is nowhere as enjoyable as it seemed at 22.

Voted no because my dream job would be one of what Guy Fieri does (Most realistic chance as I could travel, eat and talk about amazing food), What Ron Jeremy does, or I should say did, or some combination of a pro athlete and or rock star.  Those are truly my dream jobs.  Since I don't live in fantasy land I do really enjoy my job and love the company I work for.  

Huh. You fellers are much more humble and introspective than I would have guessed.

And I feel the same way. Dreams are for suckers. I'm very lucky to have stumbled into a career I enjoy.

Like many - Dream job?  No way.  But I have a very good job that I do enjoy that pays well, is mentally stimulating, and is for a cause I believe in.  So I'm not complaining, but it's not my dream job.  

I took a very circuitous route to the job I have now and never really considered it prior to it being offered to me. Once I settled into it, I realized how ideal the job was suited to me.

I never dreamed of it, but similar to @IvanKaramazov, if I could start over from HS I would pursue this job from the get-go.

I don't even know what my dream job would be these days. I like my job, the things I do, the money it pays, the benefits it provides, the people I work with... there's not really anything I don't like about it but I wouldn't call it my 'dream job'. 

The teachers hated me every time they would ask what your dream job would be in 1st grade. It was always to be rich and retired. Not there yet, but on the path. If I have to work ANY job, it is not my dream job. My current position is okay and career path is more enjoyable and lucrative. Best job I ever had was being a drywall taper for 6.5 years after high school. It just didn't have the same money if I didn't want to start my own business. Although being highly skilled, competent, and reliable person makes you quite desirable in the trades.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. I’m still doing stuff to earn a wage. When I’m down to 10% or less I’ll feel like it’s a dream job. 

The Iguana said:
I don't even know what my dream job would be these days. I like my job, the things I do, the money it pays, the benefits it provides, the people I work with... there's not really anything I don't like about it but I wouldn't call it my 'dream job'. 
Professional golfer still seems like a sweet gig.

I still say whatever the pole was, it’s wasn’t “are you working your dream job?”.

GroveDiesel said:

Preston & Steve rock.

I’ve been working professionally for almost 20 years.  I’m on my 6th different company in that span.  I don’t mind my current job (or any of the past ones, there were various reasons for leaving them).   I’d like to retire from the job I’m at now and not have to switch again.  But it isn’t remotely close to my dream job (not even sure what that would be…NFL GM maybe?  Race horse owner?)

Professional golfer still seems like a sweet gig.

I still say whatever the pole was, it’s wasn’t “are you working your dream job?”.
When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up to be Speed Racer. Race car driver would still be fun. 

Also, whatever the pole is, I have to say that other than something like "race car driver" or "baseball player", I'm not sure I ever really had a "dream job" in mind. I never really knew "what I wanted to be when I grew up". There were a lot of things I considered and a lot of things I think I would have liked. I kind of ended up building a career as much by accident as by design. 

Ultimately I realized that I'm a "work to live" kind of guy rather than a "live to work" type of person. Work is a means to an end but my passion is really a lot more about my free time, my family, my friends, etc. I've had various things I've gotten into over time but even that I don't know that I've ever found my "dream activity". I'm plenty happy with the things I do, both professionally and personally. 

:shrug:

I mean I'd prefer to be the punter for the Chiefs and now at age 44 be retired and maybe doing punting clinics...   but since I don't have an ounce of athletic ability,  I think I have about the best gig I could land for my level of intelligence and skill set.   Fixing teeth has good hours and decent pay.

I voted yes in the sense that I truly enjoy what I do, but I didn’t dream of becoming an electrician while growing up.

I’m blessed. No complaints. Like what I do. But not my dream job. My job feels like work. I’d love to be in the front office of a pro baseball team or a high profile agent. Too late for me to switch 

My dream job would be something that combined traveling around the country with sports.  So like a scout or something.  That's never gonna happen, so my answer was "no".

That said, I'm in an industry that I enjoy and do get to travel (which is HUGE for me).  I get compensated well and there are many perks.  So it's about as close as it'll get without actually being something that was going to be nearly impossible to get.

Users who are viewing this thread