What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Predict The Carolina RBs If McCaffrey Misses Time? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Lots of talk with McCaffrey and Hubbard and Freeman. 

Thought it would make sense to have one thread here as we talk about how the Panthers will fill in for McCaffrey if he misses time.

Let's hear it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to evaluate when a player is thrust into a game. But Hubbard did not look special at all to me last night. 

I fully admit, I haven't watched it again.

I can see Hubbard getting first crack at the lion's share of carries, but ultimately expect it will be some of timeshare - either with Freeman or someone else brought in.

Could be wrong, but I just don't see a Mike Davis scenario where the dropoff from CMC was not as big as expected.

I dont want any part of the RBs. I do like DJ Moore even more so. Targets and carries may get dispersed among a group of players.

I dont want any part of the RBs. I do like DJ Moore even more so. Targets and carries may get dispersed among a group of players.
I don’t think I have a choice given the team I have CMC is decimated right now with injuries. So I will be crossing my fingers my cuff Hubbard does well in relief. 

Not sure if it'd be considered on topic but another question is where do the 8-10 targets CMC typically gets go?  Not necessarily going to the RBs.

-QG
Good question, and I'll assume none of those targets go to Robby Anderson if last night is any indication. TEs should see an uptick as well as Marshall.

From our Matt Waldman:

Chuba Hubbard is a gap-style back who functions best in an offense that gives him a nice push into one crease with a lead blocker ahead of him or on perimeter plays. When Carolina was successful with these plays, Hubbard showed off his burst, speed, and momentum-based power that makes him stylistically similar to Tevin Coleman. He'll earn targets, but he must improve how to address the ball with his hands when the ball isn't on his body. Hubbard will be tabbed as the player to see most of the work in McCaffrey's absence. Although veteran Royce Freeman isn't as explosive, he's a good hedge due to his receiving skills, power, and more experience and refinement with zone blocking, where Hubbard has ups and downs and remains a work in progress. 

Good question, and I'll assume none of those targets go to Robby Anderson if last night is any indication. TEs should see an uptick as well as Marshall.
Re: the TE's...  I think they'll be keeping them in to help block more.  As to the OP- Hubbard/Freeman 70/30 with Hubbard being a decent flex most weeks.  

The value of the Carolina RBs are in the receptions and the TDs, which is how Mike Davis became a league winner.

It was one game but Freeman is probably the better receiver. In Denver, he was the receiving back and not Philip Lindsay. And Freeman is definitely the bigger back and in line for the goal line work.

Hubbard might get the push due to the draft capital but it's hard to say he's the better back right now.

I think the dropped td was the only ball he should have caught and didn’t. The other ball was a bit difficult as it was high with a lot of velocity. He had higher yards per carry. So I could see 70/30 touch in favor of Hubbard for next game. 

This week Dallas can game plan and focus on Hubbard which last week not many even knew this guy's name outside of FF enthusiasts. I'm just saying that teams will know he's coming and it's not Christian McCaffrey, this offense is a little different than the one McCaffrey feasted in prior and I think some expectations some be tempered. 

The better question for Hubbard owners is what are you going to trade him for? What is his value right now? I would be trying to cash in on a guy who was riding my bench as RB4/5 territory unless you are totally sure he is going to ball for the next month. 

80% Chubba, 15% Freeman, 5% Darnold.

final answer.

Next week against DAL: Chubba 16 carries for 107 yards, with 4 receptions for 67 yards and a ReTD

The better question for Hubbard owners is what are you going to trade him for? What is his value right now? I would be trying to cash in on a guy who was riding my bench as RB4/5 territory unless you are totally sure he is going to ball for the next month. 
nothing. I traded for him last week to backup CMC. 

While I was hoping I’d never need him, the timing worked out extremely well. I’d just be down a RB, and that woulda sucked. 

It's hard to evaluate when a player is thrust into a game. But Hubbard did not look special at all to me last night. 
I don't disagree that Hubbard did not look special but at no point did Mike Davis look special last year to me either, he was solid at best for fantasy but mainly because of his role in the passing game. Which brings me back to Hubbard who got 5 targets in a game that the Panthers were not behind.

If we only look at Mike Davis in the games that CMC missed last year he averaged 13..5 carries and 3.8 receptions a game. In roughly 75% of a game with no CMC we saw Hubbard have 11/3.

I think Carolina already showed us that Hubbard is for sure the next man up and I expect his usage to be at least similar to what Davis got in non-CMC games last year. The major difference in the two IMO is that Hubbard will break off more chunk plays, but the negative is he might cede more goal line looks to Freeman.

In PPR leagues Davis put up about 15 PPG in the non-CMC games. I'd expect Hubbard to come just a shade under that.

Like Mike Davis last year, Chubba doesn't need to be special. He just needs to get the volume. 

Thought he looked ok. He  had a couple of long runs where he made a good read, and he made 2 difficult catches. Unfortunately he dropped the duck in the end zone. But overall I thought he showed a nice balance of power/speed, and more importantly, Freeman showed nothing. Same thing I've seen from Freeman for years. Plodder who crumbles on contact, and truly nothing special.

His attempt to dive over the pile into the end zone was pretty anemic, and he was easily stuffed. Had he churned his legs, he probably would have scored there. IIRC stuff like that was what failed to endear him to coaches in Denver. 

I don't disagree that Hubbard did not look special but at no point did Mike Davis look special last year to me either, he was solid at best for fantasy but mainly because of his role in the passing game. Which brings me back to Hubbard who got 5 targets in a game that the Panthers were not behind.

If we only look at Mike Davis in the games that CMC missed last year he averaged 13..5 carries and 3.8 receptions a game. In roughly 75% of a game with no CMC we saw Hubbard have 11/3.

I think Carolina already showed us that Hubbard is for sure the next man up and I expect his usage to be at least similar to what Davis got in non-CMC games last year. The major difference in the two IMO is that Hubbard will break off more chunk plays, but the negative is he might cede more goal line looks to Freeman.

In PPR leagues Davis put up about 15 PPG in the non-CMC games. I'd expect Hubbard to come just a shade under that.

We have a BINGO!

:)  

That's I think the real question. I THINK I might make the case Davis has more than Hubbard. But not sure yet. 

Let's also talk about what Carolina is telling us by whether or not they put McCaffrey on IR. 
So far word is they're not putting him on IR as they think he’ll miss “a couple of weeks”.

I’d almost rather they just put him on the 3-week & shut him down. I really don’t wanna hear about him testing it in practice & re-injuring it, etc over the next 2 months. 

So far word is they're not putting him on IR as they think he’ll miss “a couple of weeks”.

I’d almost rather they just put him on the 3-week & shut him down. I really don’t wanna hear about him testing it in practice & re-injuring it, etc over the next 2 months. 
I think they will list him as questionable and then change to out on game day. This way opposing teams have to prep as if he may play. He won’t be back for six weeks as they will be cautious and give their all star an extra couple weeks. This is a guess based on them trolling us last year. But just a guess. 

I think he looked tentative on his first carries but seemed to relax later on.  Still, short of "special".

I think they will list him as questionable and then change to out on game day. This way opposing teams have to prep as if he may play. He won’t be back for six weeks as they will be cautious and give their all star an extra couple weeks. This is a guess based on them trolling us last year. But just a guess. 
They weren’t 3-0 last year though

Users who are viewing this thread