What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tesla Solar Roof (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
Anyone have one of these, or order one?  They just became available in my area; we’re in need of a roof soon at our weekend place in the mountains, and so today I plunked down to order one. I much prefer the look to having the panels on a regular roof, and I love the idea of the power wall to cover power outage situations. I’d get this on our primary home too, but ours is a slate roof and a hundred year old colonial home, and my wife just isn’t crazy about the idea of the modern looking roof on this place. 

Will update as I go here—I’m sure it’ll be probably many months before anything happens on this—but was curious to know if anyone else is further along. 

Oats 

Anyone have one of these, or order one?  They just became available in my area; we’re in need of a roof soon at our weekend place in the mountains, and so today I plunked down to order one. I much prefer the look to having the panels on a regular roof, and I love the idea of the power wall to cover power outage situations. I’d get this on our primary home too, but ours is a slate roof and a hundred year old colonial home, and my wife just isn’t crazy about the idea of the modern looking roof on this place. 

Will update as I go here—I’m sure it’ll be probably many months before anything happens on this—but was curious to know if anyone else is further along. 

Oats 

I have them on all of my mountain retreats.  Highly recommend. 

How long do they last? I couldn't find anything on that other than a 10 year warranty. 

Ive always thought thick plexiglass would be the longest lasting material to try on a roof. Maybe Ill try it on my shed. 

Oats 
I thought Tesla had a slate option... I guess not?

Or maybe it was the first company that started making these before Tesla.

Whatever- good for you, O. I've always wanted to spec these- seem like a no-brainer and so much nicer than typically plopped on solar panels, especially if upkeep is ok. Looking forward to hearing about the process- from intsall to life-span.

Where's the mountain house?

Going to dot this one for future reference. 

Living in FL we get a lot of sun and it would be nice to have some energy for those times when the hurricanes knock out the power for a few days/weeks. 

my understanding was that solar roof was a complete scam to pump their stock price and justify the solar city bail out with tesla money, as that company would have gone bankrupt otherwise.  

I'd recommend looking into other solar options that are probably more cost effective, unless a lot of progress has been made I would be interested to hear otherwise as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
my understanding was that solar roof was a complete scam to pump their stock price and justify the solar city bail out with tesla money, as that company would have gone bankrupt otherwise.  

I'd recommend looking into other solar options that are probably more cost effective, unless a lot of progress has been made I would be interested to hear otherwise as well. 
Complete scam? I've never read that- you want to post a link to that? A lot of issues along the way? That, I've read and continue to read. I'm still not sure how they're supposed to fine-cut these things... seems like it would be a nightmare. Also more joints and parts means more places for the product to fail than larger traditional panels. but I also never got that far into my research.

From Forbes....

Is it worth it to get a Tesla Solar Roof?

If you’re willing to pay the high price point, need to replace your roof and like the idea and sleek aesthetic of Tesla’s solar shingles, then it may be worth it to get a Solar Roof. Otherwise, Tesla’s Solar Panels, or even traditional solar panels, may make more financial sense while still increasing your home’s energy efficiency.

Tesla’s solar options are significantly more expensive than other renewable energy alternatives on the market, and the company has had a record of changing quoted prices for the Solar Roof fairly regularly. However, if you have the finances and do not mind integrating your home into the Tesla system, a Solar Roof is a good long-term investment for your home.

have a traditional installer come out and give you a quote so you have something to compare it to.  Based on what I’ve read, Tesla solar isn’t worth the cost premium yet.

Users who are viewing this thread