What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Advice on Starting Non-Profits (1 Viewer)

Caveman33

Footballguy
I've recently been thinking that I would like to get involved in non-profits.  This would mainly be for entertainment and I expect to bear all of the expenses on my own.  So I would like to keep costs to a minimum.  The state is California.  Can I file the necessary paperwork with an out of state DL?  Any tips on getting filing costs and other expenses waived?

The first thing you're gonna need is a driver....
Interested?

The first non-profit will be called Money for People.  This is no cash grab and not for personal enrichment.  Every dollar will be accounted for down to the last penny.  Any additions to my team will have to be on board with our mission statement and core values.  Should we receive outside funding, it will be dispersed in accordance with the directions that were received.

Tend to be tons of regulations and governance rules around a non-profit.  Be sure you do your homework for your state and any state you do "business" in.  If you're national you may end up having to keep 50 state filings up to date.

Caveman33 said:
https://zipsprout.com/how-big-are-most-non-profits/

60% of non-profits have a budget of less than $150,000.  Sure, these non-profits may just be a solitary man with a messy apartment which may or may not contain a chicken, but at the end of the day he is rich in the social karma that comes with devoting oneself to the work of non-profit.
There is a difference between a not for profit organization and a tax exempt entity. If you want the IRS to grant tax exempt status you are probably going to need a board of directors of at least 3 people (preferably not relatives).

I've recently been thinking that I would like to get involved in non-profits.  This would mainly be for entertainment and I expect to bear all of the expenses on my own.  So I would like to keep costs to a minimum.  The state is California.  Can I file the necessary paperwork with an out of state DL?  Any tips on getting filing costs and other expenses waived?
Aren't you the guy that is planning on becoming homeless in less than 30 days? How are you going to run a non-profit out of a sleeping bag?

There is a difference between a not for profit organization and a tax exempt entity. If you want the IRS to grant tax exempt status you are probably going to need a board of directors of at least 3 people (preferably not relatives).
Good clarification.  I suppose I could start with a not for profit as I do not expect to generate any income and then work towards tax exemption if the idea gains traction.

Aren't you the guy that is planning on becoming homeless in less than 30 days? How are you going to run a non-profit out of a sleeping bag?
Anything is possible if you put your mind to it...besides, I'm getting cold feet on the homeless idea.  I keep having bad dreams that some of the real homeless are gonna mess with me while I'm asleep.  So I put out an ad to rent space in someone's yard.

“Nonprofit” is really just a tax designation more than anything and pretty much just means you won’t do things like distribute profits.

Do you have your actual program worked out - like, what specifically will you be doing? In my experience (which is a lot here) is that most nonprofits probably shouldn’t exist and should have just been programs for already existing nonprofits.

“Nonprofit” is really just a tax designation more than anything and pretty much just means you won’t do things like distribute profits.

Do you have your actual program worked out - like, what specifically will you be doing? In my experience (which is a lot here) is that most nonprofits probably shouldn’t exist and should have just been programs for already existing nonprofits.
Karaok-'N'-Roll 

No, I have no reasonable plan or program.  That is why I said it would mainly be for my own entertainment.  I don't mind spending a few hundred to file some documents and obtain the nonprofit status.  But I am wondering about additional costs that I may incur in the future to keep the status active.  Most likely nothing would ever happen beyond those initial filings. 

Hi @Caveman33I don't know anything about you or your situation, but my advice would be to do research on some non profits in your area. Find one that seems good to you. Then volunteer. You'll get a much better look at the inside workings and will be able to make good decisions going forward. 

To add. I'd also spend some time thinking about what you're trying to achieve.

The actual "non profit" part is really just sort of semantics. The vast majority of compassion projections around the country are done by people who are volunteering to help. They achieve what they're looking for of helping someone and don't have any of the work of a non profit.

I do a little work with a non profit in Knoxville cooking BBQ. In my experience, I was much better coming alongside them and doing what I could as opposed to trying to create my own thing. 

There's a place for that for sure. But my advice would be jump in slowly and volunteer and get your feet wet with that. 

Users who are viewing this thread