What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

how often do you change your appearance/look? (1 Viewer)

mr. furley

Footballguy
are you the guy who found his style in high school and is going to ride it out until you die?

or do you switch up your hair, facial hair, clothes, etc. pretty regularly?

are you the guy who found his style in high school and is going to ride it out until you die?

I have crappy thin hair. not a lot of options, so basically I go with what's left the last 15 years or so. I went through all the permutations from long to shaved with the hair up until about 40, at which point it started thinning too much to do much. 

facial hair... not a fan.

clothes.. it's feed/nurture the kids or buy new clothes. sadly, my days of caring a lot are done... at this point I just try to make sure what I'm wearing is stain-covered or ripped. OLD and broke. not a great combo. especially in a design field where my appearance kinda counts. and coming from enjoying clothes from a design standpoint.

I’ve had a beard for about 10 years now, that’s probably the only major change

oh I guess I quit wearing glasses during the pandemic.  No contacts or anything just got sick of them (eyesite isn’t that bad mainly for distance)

No real change in clothing style

I have crappy thin hair. not a lot of options, so basically I go with what's left the last 15 years or so. I went through all the permutations from long to shaved with the hair up until about 40, at which point it started thinning too much to do much. 

facial hair... not a fan.

clothes.. it's feed/nurture the kids or buy new clothes. sadly, my days of caring a lot are done... at this point I just try to make sure what I'm wearing is stain-covered or ripped. OLD and broke. not a great combo. especially in a design field where my appearance kinda counts. and coming from enjoying clothes from a design standpoint.
Sounds like you'll be into Mugatu's new Derelicte collection.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve had a beard for about 10 years now, that’s probably the only major change

oh I guess I quit wearing glasses during the pandemic.  No contacts or anything just got sick of them (eyesite isn’t that bad mainly for distance)

No real change in clothing style

in the last few years my eyes went to #### for distance and night vision. especially if it's raining. might as well just throw a blindfold on and play bumper cars.

in the last few years my eyes went to #### for distance and night vision. especially if it's raining. might as well just throw a blindfold on and play bumper cars.
slap it low. but put your glasses on first so don't tag me in the nads by mistake. my readers are basically on all the time. sucks.

Haven't changed my look* since girls started to sleep with me. 

*Other than to put on some desk weight.

Hair has been varying lengths. Had been going kind of short but grew it out during COVID and not have pretty long hair. Facial hair has always flowed between light stubble to beard depending on mood but I have got a lot grey in it so I've been shaving and keeping it much shorter recently. As for clothes, keep generally on trend with out being trendy. 

I got in better shape and dumped all the baggy stuff. So mostly clothes.  Haven’t really changed hair style in 10-15 years. Muss it up with a little gel and I’m done 

I do a lot of on line dating so I change my appearance every six months or so.  Some women like the clean look shaved head, no beard, etc.  but some like a rough appearance, long hair, full beard, etc.  The women who like the rough look are the best🤟

Overall look is the same, but I got a forearm tattoo a few weeks ago. That's enough change for a while.

Clothes pretty much the same.

I have to wear readers now by necessity as I can’t read my phone without them.

Hair and facial hair about the same - will shave and then let it grow out 3-5 days (face) or 1-2 weeks (head).

I like the simplicity.

My first reaction to this question was "I haven't changed my look since college."  But then I thought about it a little more.  Sometime around age 30, I noticed that my hair was thinning out, so I started buzzing it and later moved on to shaving it.  So that's a significant change.  Then in my late 30s I got lasik and ditched my glasses.  Then last year I grew out my beard, which I figure to keep for a while.  

So I guess I change things up about every 10 years, give or take.

sounds like a lot of you are enjoying the return of the 80s fashion (or maybe it has passed already in LA and NYC)

I've actually changed my look quite a bit in the past five years.

Hair - my wife underwent chemo to combat breast cancer. I shaved my head when she lost her hair, and I ended up liking it. Before I kind of had Kramer hair.

Facial hair - I grew a beard and mustache once I left the teaching profession, and my wife said she really liked it, so I've kept it.

Spectacles - like others, I wear my glasses less frequently now that I have to mask up so often.

Fashion - About a year ago, all my clothes seemed to be wearing out simultaneously. I threw out all my old polo shirts and baggy, pleated slacks and went with lightweight, casual button-up shirts and more form-fitting slacks in a wider array of colors.

Jewelry - If a FitBit counts as jewelry, then I now wear some. It took some conditioning to get used to wearing a watch again.

I never did the super skinny jeans but I do admit I love joggers and clothes that fit. I am NOT looking forward to the baggy trend that’s already here. 

90% of the summer I wore a long sleeve tshirt, grey sweatshirts and a fresh pair of nikes. 

Its too hot here in the summer to wear anything else. I usually go through at least two change of clothes every day. At least. 

Constantly.  I take a little pride when someone comes up to me and says, "oh my gosh, I hardly recognized you."  Yup, thats what I'm going for.

I got a full head of hair that goes from kind of long to pretty short once or twice a year.  This is mostly out of laziness and not liking to go get a haircut.  Same with the beard.  I'll let it grow out for a while, then keep it trimmed...then shave it off.  No rhyme or reason for any of it.  

Constantly.  I take a little pride when someone comes up to me and says, "oh my gosh, I hardly recognized you."  Yup, thats what I'm going for.

I got a full head of hair that goes from kind of long to pretty short once or twice a year.  This is mostly out of laziness and not liking to go get a haircut.  Same with the beard.  I'll let it grow out for a while, then keep it trimmed...then shave it off.  No rhyme or reason for any of it.  

This is me except Im slowly losing my hair. This is the last time I will have long hair again. Figured I might as well grow it out again while I still can and have the same bald head for the rest of my years. 

Every couple of years I tweak it slightly.  Rocking a stubble beard on occasion, but have to shave it often for football/basketball officiating.  Went to a more high and tight look with longer on top a few years ago with the hair.

As long as the wife still is willing to bang me, I clear everything with her and go with her suggestions.  :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Change my hair almost every cut.  Not drastic changes, but length/style different everytime.

45 and still couldnt grow a beard to save my life.

Last couple years I keep gaining and losing 20 pounds so clothes go from fitting to loose to tight.

Shaved my head last year about 2 months into COVID.  Should have done it a year sooner, based on a couple pics I saw from 2019.

I rotated between Van Dyke and goatee for a couple years, then went full beard 3-4 years ago and have kept it since.  Only trick now is figuring out how far up the sides to go, and how to keep it level on both sides (I think I figured out in the pre-beard days that my ears aren't 100% level)

I've had the same hair style, more or less, for 30 years.  A fade with a little more on top, parted to the right.  In my teens, it was medium length.  In my 20's, it was a little longer and I sometimes did some highlights and spiked it up a bit (No clue what I was thinking - it was cool then).  Since my late 20's it's been a super short fade with about 1" on top.  I keep it shorter because while I've still got a nice head of hair and no thinning in my early 40's, there's a lot of grey up there now.

I had a goatee from like 18 till 22 or so.  Mostly college.  Gone now - wife hates facial hair and I prefer kisses to no kisses.

Clothing styles evolve.  Nothing radical, but I like to be a little style forward.  

Slightly have changed the hair a few times over the past 20 years and made a change in facial hair from goatee to constant 5 o’clock shadow back in 2010.

Only real change in clothes was moving from Chicago to Portland. Went from urban-city style to constantly being comfortable mostly athleisure and outdoorsy type stuff.

I'll grow a goatee every 2 years or so, and then convert it into a moustache.  I keep the goatee for a couple of months as it looks pretty good, and ditch the moustache after a week because it makes me look creepy.  

This is me except Im slowly losing my hair. This is the last time I will have long hair again. Figured I might as well grow it out again while I still can and have the same bald head for the rest of my years. 
my 10 year old describing one of the teachers at school to me this morning

"he's like really old, like your age ( :hot:  ) and he's bald in the middle, but he has a ring around the side of his head and he has it long so he can put gel in it! and he pulls it all to the middle and then spikes it up like a mohawk! it's terrible!! :lmao:

Things that matter in terms of aesthetics for men will tend to rely on

1) Level of physical fitness ( Are you ripped or not? Do you look good shirtless or not?)

2) Body fat percentage

You could wear beat down clothes from Goodwill or Salvation Army, but if you are purely ripped to the gills and you have a sharp jawline and your arms and abs are popping out, then you will make everything you wear look better.

Look at women and weight. Women who are heavier have lots of techniques and tricks and strategies to morph the general public perception of their physical appearance to make it look like they weigh less than they do. Yoga pants are essentially a 20 dollar version of SFX that any average woman in America can afford. But nothing beats just being in really good shape.

If you exercise, eat correctly, hydrate correctly, sleep correctly, don't abuse drugs or tobacco or alcohol, then it's not difficult to look good for most people. The hard work is in the foundation, not the SFX.

A minimalist style is never minimalist on someone who is chiseled out.

Imagine Phoebe Cates from Fast Times At Ridgemont High era wearing the ugliest outfit in all of women's fashion. Would it matter that much?

People who make a lot of changes to their appearance are playing games with that paper thin SFX strategy. Build a good foundation and you don't need ILM and Weta Workshop to make you presentable to pull quality and drop loads.

Users who are viewing this thread