What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

R Kelly - didn't survive this one (1 Viewer)

so weird ...you have to be really messed up to have all those girls throwing themselves at you and do that. 

meglomanical ...take him off the streets.

Terrible story. Prosecution under the Mann Act is never something to really celebrate, as it was used traditionally to stop interracial relationships.

Just a whole history of American racial socio-politics are wrapped up in this case, and I'm not touching them with a ten-foot pole.

What’s horrifying is how many people knew and did nothing, including fans who continued to support him and labels that continued to work with him.
The pushback largely came from blacks who earnestly sympathized with him and whites that didn't want to seem judgmental of the way the black community policed itself with respect to stuff like that.

Soft bigotry of low expectations doesn't even begin to describe it. It was intersectionality butting up against intersectionality, and the women lost.

Terrible story. Prosecution under the Mann Act is never something to really celebrate, as it was used traditionally to stop interracial relationships.

Just a whole history of American racial socio-politics are wrapped up in this case, and I'm not touching them with a ten-foot pole.
Sounds like it sorta fits, no?

In its original form the act made it a felony to engage in interstate or foreign commerce transport of "any woman or girl for the purpose of prostitution or debauchery, or for any other immoral purpose". Its primary stated intent was to address prostitution, immorality, and human trafficking, particularly where trafficking was for the purposes of prostitution. It was one of several acts of protective legislation aimed at moral reform during the Progressive Era. In practice, its ambiguous language about "immorality" resulted in it being used to criminalize even consensual sexual behavior between adults.[1] It was amended by Congress in 1978 and again in 1986 to limit its application to transport for the purpose of prostitution or other illegal sexual acts.[2]

rockaction said:
The pushback largely came from blacks who earnestly sympathized with him and whites that didn't want to seem judgmental of the way the black community policed itself with respect to stuff like that.

Soft bigotry of low expectations doesn't even begin to describe it. It was intersectionality butting up against intersectionality, and the women lost.

yeah, no color involved

big position taking advantage of young people 

really think he got away with it all long as he did because of the race thing

rockaction said:

Not so sure about the race thing.  I think it was jut the times- same how Weinstein, Epstein and other wealthy people got away with this kind of thing until the last few years. It seems DAs have been plenty comfortable putting Black men on trial. But this is probably drifting to PSF territory and we should leave our opinions to be mulled over privately. 

Not so sure about the race thing.  I think it was jut the times- same how Weinstein, Epstein and other wealthy people got away with this kind of thing until the last few years. It seems DAs have been plenty comfortable putting Black men on trial. But this is probably drifting to PSF territory and we should leave our opinions to be mulled over privately. 
I’ve seen this case on Chicago news for awhile.  I think an average person would have been found guilty long ago.   I’m all for Epstein and others getting their true justice alao.

wait... I thought he was already convicted for touching kids?  Did he touch more kids after that?

Google, "R Kelly, race" and see the pieces that come up. Black girls -- and they were young girls -- were treated as subhuman in this instance. It had a lot to do with race. His first trial in Chicago, where he urinated on a fourteen year-old, became something to laugh about it pop culture -- see: Macklemore. As NPR said, if this were happening to white girls, can you imagine the outrage?

Look, I hate that race is involved and implicated in this. I hate that there are differing standards of behavior and double-standards for black and white. To say it doesn't exist or relegate it to the PSF is shoving an important subject under the rug.

But I agree with you in the end. Out of deference for the forums and format, I'll shove it under the rug. In this format, where much is likely not to be solved and ugly racism allowed to come to the fore, I'll stop before I even really begin.

Last edited by a moderator:
How he wasn't convicted last time is a mystery.

Having a TV reality show aired against you, and have it be extremely popular, is usually the final nail in the coffin.

Once you lose in the court of public opinion, the masses demand the court of law to do something about it.

Without that reality show, he might have gotten away with all of it. Then again, if he didn't write a song called "I Admit It", he might have gotten away with all of it.

This all shows how widespread media optics is a tool. In some ways, it's a very useful tool. In other ways, in the hypothetical that R Kelly was innocent ( he's not, but for the sake of discussion, let's take it there), one could see how that tool could be weaponized for harm against real due process.

What did the Cardinals' GM say? If Hannibal Lector ran a 4.3 40 yard dash, that front offices would classify his issues as an eating disorder.

American professional sports has a huge problem with the open Anti-Semetic stances and statements coming from high profile celebrity athletes. But if LeBron James says it, it's a lot different than if some middling talk show host did it.

There's a clear hierarchy of acceptable outrage in America. It's just not politically  correct to discuss.

How did this guy never end up buried in a corn field somewhere?
Money, power, and good lawyers.

I think it’s becoming increasingly clear by the Kelly/Cosby/Weinstein/Epstein stuff that men with money and power routinely get away with all sorts of awful things and there are plenty of people willing to help cover it up.

Users who are viewing this thread