What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 4 who should I start thread **OFFICIAL** (1 Viewer)

Chaka

Footballguy
For the most part I thought last weeks thread was well received, so let's see if we can make this a thing.

A couple notes from last week:

1) This only works if people participate. The reason the AC Forum is a barren wasteland of sadness and despair is because there are too many people asking and not enough answering.  If you ask for help it is good form to offer help to someone else.

2) It helps if you post the matchup. e.g. OBJ @ Minn or Kyle Pitts v Was

3) Of course important league considerations (e.g. PPR, super-flex etc).

ETA: 4) Please go easy on the nicknames guys, save that for other threads. We can't help if we don't know who you are talking about.

View this as an exercise to help focus your thoughts about teams in general. Players you own may not be involved in these WDIS questions but certainly you will own players on many of these teams. Analyzing other players will help you identify things you may have otherwise not considered.

So, let's hear 'em!

ETA: Thanks to @Helaire-ious for starting this last week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll start:

I need one RB Javonte Williams v Bal or Zack Moss v Hou

And one flex: The RB you didn't choose above (Javonte or Z.Moss), Pitts v Was or Ruggs @ LAC?

Right now I have Javonte & Moss in with Pitts & Ruggs on my bench.

Chaka: PPR or standard?  I think you have it right,  but Ruggs is right behind them, and any of the three would be OK. Pitts lags the others.

1/2 pt. PPR, 1pt. every 20 return yds

Aiyuk, Rondale Moore, Sammy Watkins, or Kyle Pitts at my WR/TE flex... or should I try to trade Javonte Williams and get a better WR? Only real prospect in my league for that kind of trade is probably Beckham.

Right now I'm leaning toward giving Aiyuk a shot.

Aiyuk, Rondale Moore, Sammy Watkins, or Kyle Pitts at my WR/TE flex... or should I try to trade Javonte Williams and get a better WR? Only real prospect in my league for that kind of trade is probably Beckham.

I'm still kind of high on Sammy as he is getting the most consistent usage.

I like Aiyuk a little more after Sunday but I would like to see a little more consistency before I can recommend him.

R. Moor IMO is going to be rotating with Kirk in the "who will perform this week" whack-a-mole. Maybe this is his week.

I very much like Pitts but Atl is not a good team and after his dud on Sunday it is hard to trust him over a guy like Watkins.

One of the other three will likely score higher than Watkins I just think it's a dart throw figuring out which one so I like Watkins who is getting consistent looks.

PPR: choose one: Cooks, Brown (aka Butterfingers), Sanders.

Thanks
Is that AJ Brown and Emmanuel Sanders?

Either way I probably go with Cooks.  He is getting mad volume and that team will play with lots of negative game scripts.

For the most part I thought last weeks thread was well received, so let's see if we can make this a thing.

A couple notes from last week:

1) This only works if people participate. The reason the AC Forum is a barren wasteland of sadness and despair is because there are too many people asking and not enough answering.  If you ask for help it is good form to offer help to someone else.

2) It helps if you post the matchup. e.g. OBJ @ Minn or Kyle Pitts v Was

3) Of course important league considerations (e.g. PPR, super-flex etc).

So, let's hear 'em!

ETA: Thanks to @Helaire-ious for starting this last week.
It also helps if posters give a first name/initial for players with common last names.

I'll start:

And one flex: The RB you didn't choose above (Javonte or Z.Moss), Pitts v Was or Ruggs @ LAC?

Williams over Moss

Ruggs over Moss and Pitts

PPR, 6 points all TDs

Akers is hurt and now McCaffrey is hurt. In a 16 team dynasty league with deep benches, my options are mostly awful so I need to pick the best of the bad options so I have any semblance of a chance this week and the next few weeks.

Pick 2:
James Conner @ LA Rams
Mark Ingram @ Buffalo
Philip Lindsay @ Buffalo
Latavius Murray @ Denver
Tony Jones vs. NYG
Jacques Patrick vs. Seattle
Todd Gurley.... :(  ..... vs. Arthritis

Waiver wire = Kyle Juszczyk vs. Seattle, Travis Homer @ San Francisco, Justin Jackson vs. Las Vegas

PPR, 6 points all TDs

Akers is hurt and now McCaffrey is hurt. In a 16 team dynasty league with deep benches, my options are mostly awful so I need to pick the best of the bad options so I have any semblance of a chance this week and the next few weeks.

Pick 2:
James Conner @ LA Rams
Mark Ingram @ Buffalo
Philip Lindsay @ Buffalo
Latavius Murray @ Denver
Tony Jones vs. NYG

Waiver wire = Kyle Juszczyk vs. Seattle, Travis Homer @ San Francisco, Justin Jackson vs. Las Vegas
I immediately think your options come down to Conner and Ingram.

Ingram has the clearest path to the most touches but that game could be out of hand before the anthem is over. But I am not sure that leads to a ton of action for Lindsay, at least it didn't against Carolina or Cleveland.

I see Latavius as similar to both Ingram and Conner, it's all TD dependent and Murray has to contend with Lamar Jackson for those scores.

Arizona should be competitive leaving open the possibility for a Conner short yardage play.

Gun to my head...Ingram...NO Conner...NO Murray...WAIT...<BAM>!!!

Sorry, wish I could be more helpful.

Half PPR, start any of the following over Woods v Zona:

Edwards/Renfrow @ Clippers

Patterson v WFT

Patrick v Ravens

No real waiver options so it's one of those five

Ingram has the clearest path to the most touches but that game could be out of hand before the anthem is over. But I am not sure that leads to a ton of action for Lindsay, at least it didn't against Carolina or Cleveland.

I see Latavius as similar to both Ingram and Conner, it's all TD dependent and Murray has to contend with Lamar Jackson for those scores.

Arizona should be competitive leaving open the possibility for a Conner short yardage play.

Ughh those are tough matchups.  I don't like Conner against Rams.  Will get stuffed. I'd probably go Ingram but wouldn't expect much from any of 'em

I'll start:

I like Moss' chances at an easy TD or 2 in what should be a blowout over Houston. Think he has a better shot to score than Javonte this week. Add to that a few more rushes as well if they blow them out. Also like Ruggs against LAC on Monday Night in a game that should see a decent amount of offense.

I also have Pitts and wouldn't use him as anything more than a bye week fill-in right now. 

Full disclosure: I'm usually terrible at this so wouldn't blame you for doing the exact opposite 

To add on to your point about Ingram... in that scenario I think it leads to more snaps and touches for David Johnson, who is mostly the 3rd down/receiving back.

I think Connor is the best hope here.

Patterson v WFT

Patrick v Ravens

Some interesting calls.

Patrick's usage seems pretty consistent if low on the target side.  Same for Renfrow.  Edwards is your guy in the 4th quarter & overtime otherwise he is still very risky.

Patterson is so interesting but aren't we all just expecting that ride will stop?

None of these guys give me confidence over Woods, he is getting targets and the Rams seem like a team that will find the open guy.  I stick with Woods.

He said butterfingers so that has to be Hollywood Brown
Got it. Thanks.

Again I implore people to not get cute with nicknames in this thread. It's all about helping and it isn't easy to help if you don't know who anyone is talking about.

OP Updated

Still Cooks.

I forgot to mention that I have Felton hanging around on my taxi squad. I still can't bring myself to jettison Gurley, but if I have one more stinker week of these guys and Felton gets any touches (and since we get kick/punt return points), I might have to pull him onto the active roster. Shudder to think at what could have been vs. what I'm rolling out there now.

Patterson v WFT

Patrick v Ravens

I think if you're going to bench Woods, the only option I'd roll with is likely Renfrow because I trust his hot hand. The others are a little too shaky of matchups vs. hoping the backup sustains his performance. I think I'd narrow it down to only those two options and I think they'll finish close regardless. I could see a shootout in both games because of Arizona's style of play. If you bench Woods, you know this'll be the week he gets like 3 TDs too.

I forgot to mention that I have Felton hanging around on my taxi squad. I still can't bring myself to jettison Gurley, but if I have one more stinker week of these guys and Felton gets any touches (and since we get kick/punt return points), I might have to pull him onto the active roster. Shudder to think at what could have been vs. what I'm rolling out there now.
If Gurley had even a shred of anything left in the tank (or cartilage in his knees) Baltimore would have brought him in after Dobbins & Edwards went down.  They kicked the tires in the off-season and decided to sign Leveon & Devonta Freeman instead.

San Francisco signed Kerryon Johnson, an XFL guy and Chris Thompson. Chris Thompson, clearly if injury potential bothered them Thompson wouldn't have been signed.

They gave tryouts to Lamar Miller and...you get the point no Gurley sighting in SF.

Gurley is done.

Williams over Moss

Ruggs over Moss and Pitts

I like Moss' chances at an easy TD or 2 in what should be a blowout over Houston. Think he has a better shot to score than Javonte this week. Add to that a few more rushes as well if they blow them out. Also like Ruggs against LAC on Monday Night in a game that should see a decent amount of offense.

I also have Pitts and wouldn't use him as anything more than a bye week fill-in right now. 

Full disclosure: I'm usually terrible at this so wouldn't blame you for doing the exact opposite 
Agree with Moss > Javonte ATM subject to change 20 times between today & Sunday.

But you both have me thinking about Ruggs. He looks good, certainly good enough to impact defensive game plans, but he hasn't really had his "coming out" party.

Williams seems like a safer choice but Ruggs is getting decent volume (6 targets/game) and he really looks like he is developing.

I may be pivoting to Ruggs.

Agree with Moss > Javonte ATM subject to change 20 times between today & Sunday.

But you both have me thinking about Ruggs. He looks good, certainly good enough to impact defensive game plans, but he hasn't really had his "coming out" party.

Williams seems like a safer choice but Ruggs is getting decent volume (6 targets/game) and he really looks like he is developing.

I may be pivoting to Ruggs.
The real "bold" question is should I bench Jonathan Taylor @ Miami and go with Z.Moss, Javonte & Ruggs.

The real "bold" question is should I bench Jonathan Taylor @ Miami and go with Z.Moss, Javonte & Ruggs.
Miami can be had vs. the run. They just let Peyton Barber go for 121. I'd think getting Taylor going would be a focal point for Indy. Don't think I'd bench him for either RB.

Miami can be had vs. the run. They just let Peyton Barber go for 121. I'd think getting Taylor going would be a focal point for Indy. Don't think I'd bench him for either RB.
I agree and I probably won't but I've thought the bolded for the past two weeks.

Something is very wrong in Indy and Quentin Nelson has a high ankle sprain to boot.

I got a stacked dynasty team that just can't get the right lineup.  PPR

QB:  Lamar or Stafford

Pick six here RB and WR...start at least two RB's or WR's...

RB's - Barkley, D Cook, J Taylor, Mixon

WR's - Diggs, Godwin, DJ Moore, Ridley, Sutton

I got a stacked dynasty team that just can't get the right lineup.  PPR

QB:  Lamar or Stafford

Pick six here RB and WR...start at least two RB's or WR's...

RB's - Barkley, D Cook, J Taylor, Mixon

WR's - Diggs, Godwin, DJ Moore, Ridley, Sutton
You have a lot of guys who could outscore the other so there really are no "wrong" decisions.

Stafford is playing too hot to bench. Lamar can beat him, pretty easily, with his rushing ability but he is simply streakier. The Rams could lose to Arizona but it will be a high scoring affair. Denver v Bal could be a repeat of last week.

Mixon is the easiest choice at RB. He isn't world beating yet but he is getting great volume and Cinn may be coming together.

Diggs, DJ & Ridley seem like obvious choices because of their consistent volume and upside.

If Dalvin plays he is tough to bench. But monitor his practice participation this week.

That's four and here is where it gets tricky. 

TB can make any player a magic football superstar any given week. Godwin's volume isn't consistent but it's enough and it has upside.

I like Jonathan Taylor at a Miami team that just made Payton Barber look like Tiki Barber.

The Giants don't look good and Saquon doesn't look like much of a bright spot yet. He is on your bench for me against most of your other options.

I don't like the Den v Bal game as a fantasy producer. I see a high chance for a low scoring affair.

If Dalvin sits then I think it is a coin for me between Saquon and Sutton.  I guess I lean Saquon.

Dak vs Carr?  as Carr has outplayed Dak from a fantasy perspective thus far..I generally never bench my studs but is this a foolish thought? 

People still feeling relatively confident in Brandin Crooks (and his QB) and Mike Williams as for sure starts? (i.e. Marvin Jones/Boyd other options)

Thanks,

Dak vs Carr?  as Carr has outplayed Dak from a fantasy perspective thus far..I generally never bench my studs but is this a foolish thought? 

People still feeling relatively confident in Brandin Crooks (and his QB) and Mike Williams as for sure starts? (i.e. Marvin Jones/Boyd other options)

Thanks,
Carr v Dak is a tough call. I think the consensus is Raiders v Chargers is going to see a ton of offense. FWIW

Dallas looks to be playing the tougher defense.

Despite the pinball passing numbers Carr hasn't outscored Dak by much (7 points in my league).

Can't go wrong with either one, I lean Carr but if I had both I would probably start Dak. I have Josh Allen, Justin Herbert and Carr in my super-flex redraft and haven't started Carr yet.

I am very high on Mike Williams. I am not sure the targets remain above 10/game but I think they stay close. For the first time he is being used on short and intermediate high % routes and not just running deep and clearing out the middle for Keenan. The Chargers aren't going to win by being a running team, Ekeker won't hold up to that. They also don't have a goal line hammer. They are featuring Mike Williams near the goal line every game so far, and Herbert goes to him during crunch time too. I think we are witnessing his career year.

Cooks is a little less certain simply because of the QB situation. But the volume is there in spades. It's a tough matchup but I don't see how they aren't passing all day and Cooks really looks like the first, second & third reads on most plays.

Good idea to do this here rather than the AC Forum, even if it hasn't been the traditional way of doing things. I admittedly often forget about the AC Forum, and as you say, one often doesn't get much from there. Also agree it's good form to answer someone else's request if they answer yours.

My dilemma at RB (PPR league) to go along with Swift:

Sanders vs. KC: an unconscionable low number of touches on MNF; does Sirianni silence the critics and give him a lot of touches this week?; potential shootout vs the Chiefs but the Eagles have to keep it close for Sanders to be a factor

Gaskin vs. IND: nice matchup, but the offense looks to be in shambles with Brissett; shares too much and Brown seems to be the red zone choice; nice PPR floor though

Ty'Son Williams @ DEN: hard to trust this guy until he gets more carries; tough matchup on the road versus Broncos

Pollard vs. CAR: guy is getting it done when he gets the ball in his hands, but hard to trust how many touches he'll get as long as Zeke is healthy

Jamaal Williams @ CHI: nice matchup and seems to have a nice floor, but can't imagine starting him given that I already have Swift

Leaning Sanders as a gamble that Sirianni tries to "get it right" but can see a case for Gaskin given the PPR floor

Thanks and will answer yours...

I'll start:

I think Moss easy over Javonte in that matchup against Houston. I expect there will be a lot of running there, likely even clock killing.

As for flex, I also lean Javonte slightly over Pitts. Although I think Pitts' coming out party is going to happen sooner rather than later.

I might roll the dice with Pitts here. I think he's guaranteed more volume than Aiyuk despite the latter doing well on Sunday.

.5 PPR, .1 pt/1 yard

Need help with my Flex Spot

Jakobi Meyers v TB

Michael Pittman at Mia

Kenny Golladay at NO

Damian Harris v TB

Michael Carter vs Ten

Leaning Meyers here, but I feel Pittman and Meyers have been on the same level all year. Harris, Carter and Golladay are more a wait and see what happens players where I can't quite trust them this week. 

.5 PPR, .1 pt/1 yard

Jakobi Meyers v TB

Michael Pittman at Mia

Kenny Golladay at NO

Damian Harris v TB

Michael Carter vs Ten

Leaning Meyers here, but I feel Pittman and Meyers have been on the same level all year. Harris, Carter and Golladay are more a wait and see what happens players where I can't quite trust them this week. 
I'd lean with Pittman - he's emerging as the primary target by Wentz. I think Meyers is going to have tough sledding versus Tamp.

Please see mine above.

Good idea to do this here rather than the AC Forum, even if it hasn't been the traditional way of doing things. I admittedly often forget about the AC Forum, and as you say, one often doesn't get much from there. Also agree it's good form to answer someone else's request if they answer yours.

Sanders vs. KC: an unconscionable low number of touches on MNF; does Sirianni silence the critics and give him a lot of touches this week?; potential shootout vs the Chiefs but the Eagles have to keep it close for Sanders to be a factor

Gaskin vs. IND: nice matchup, but the offense looks to be in shambles with Brissett; shares too much and Brown seems to be the red zone choice; nice PPR floor though

Ty'Son Williams @ DEN: hard to trust this guy until he gets more carries; tough matchup on the road versus Broncos

Pollard vs. CAR: guy is getting it done when he gets the ball in his hands, but hard to trust how many touches he'll get as long as Zeke is healthy

Jamaal Williams @ CHI: nice matchup and seems to have a nice floor, but can't imagine starting him given that I already have Swift

Leaning Sanders as a gamble that Sirianni tries to "get it right" but can see a case for Gaskin given the PPR floor

Thanks for answering mine. 

As for yours, I would start Sanders. I would be a little concerned with the amount of touches he saw against Dallas, but I think the game script against KC will fit his role. I think regardless of if Philly is up, they will run with Sanders and if Philly is down (which is likely) they will use him in the pass game. I think Sirianni will try to get him the ball more to get the ball out of Hurts hands quicker. Philly needs the run game in order to make the Hurts RPO's work. 

I dont trust Gaskin or Ty'son Williams. Pollard has been great, but has a tough matchup in Carolina, I'm tempted to even bench Zeke in this situation with viable options. Jamaal Williams, while he has been a nice surprise so far this year, I think Swift is going to be worked in more and more as the season goes on. They reported that the Lions should work Swift in more since Swift is fully healthy now. Plus can you trust 2 RB's from Detroit. 

Tough calls all around. Locking down the "right" choice is going to be difficult.

The problem with Sanders is I really don't know what kind of coach Siriani is yet. Is abandoning the run when they are playing from behind a fluke or his m.o.? Is Hurts calling his own number too much in RPO? Sanders can catch well enough that I don't think he's a liability but I don't know if he is being capped by the offense or not.

I like Gaskins matchup much better. Opponents are running 30+ times/game for 140 yards and not just because of Henry. Both Sea & LAR went over 100 on them. Gaskin is leading the backfield in opportunities by a decent margin (14/game). There is a better chance for a positive game script here than v KC

Last week I would have said Ty'son pretty strongly, now I have no idea what is going on there. Pass for now.

Love what Pollard is doing, he is getting almost as many opportunities as Gaskin & Sanders too. But I think I hate the matchup. The Carolina D looks legit. They may be good enough to make this a low scoring affair.

Gotta admit I am surprised Williams is getting as much action as he is, and he is performing well. There may be some nice opportunities in Chicago for Detroit to surprise the Bears and walk away with a win. I also think the Bears D knows if they are going to win it's on them to make it happen.

Yeah you have five highly interchangeable options.

IMO it's Gaskin>>Sanders>Williams/Pollard>Ty'son

But any one of those guys could outpoint the others.

.5 PPR, .1 pt/1 yard

Jakobi Meyers v TB

Michael Pittman at Mia

Kenny Golladay at NO

Damian Harris v TB

Michael Carter vs Ten

Feels like a two horse race between Jakobi & Pittman

Seems likely New England is going to be throwing a lot more than they would prefer. Indy has an opportunity to keep their game a low scoring, close affair. That possibility simply does not exist in New England...well not for the Patriots at any rate.

Despite the game script implications I think Pittman is more matchup proof.

I go with Pittman.

PPR, 6 points all TDs

Pick 2:
James Conner @ LA Rams
Mark Ingram @ Buffalo
Philip Lindsay @ Buffalo
Latavius Murray @ Denver
Tony Jones vs. NYG

It seems like Conner and Murray are the obvious choices to me. I'm getting ready to dump Ingram in my 12 teamer. 

I know you should never let real football rooting interest impact magic football decisions but darn it if I'm not thinking about starting Derek Carr over Josh Allen.

The way Carr is playing it's not too crazy of a decision, right?

I already have Herbert, Mike Williams, Ruggs & hopefully Josh Jacobs going on Monday night.

League 1 start 1:  4 points per passing TD, 1 point per 25 yards passing, -2 points per INT, 1 point per 10 yards rushing, 6 points per rushing TD

Burrow Tanehill or Cousins

League 2:  Same as above except 6 points per passing TD, -4 points per INT

Burrow or Cousins

I'd go Sanders

League 1 start 1:  4 points per passing TD, 1 point per 25 yards passing, -2 points per INT, 1 point per 10 yards rushing, 6 points per rushing TD

Burrow Tanehill or Cousins

League 2:  Same as above except 6 points per passing TD, -4 points per INT

Burrow or Cousins
1) Burrow & Tannehill both have great matchups on paper but the WR situation in Tennessee concerns me. I like Burrow then Cousins because of the matchup but Cousins is easily outplaying the other two so it is a close call for me.

2) the -4 per pick makes Cousins the best choice here. He is having a great magic football and real football year and has been amazing at limiting turnovers.

let me just combine your last 2 questions into mine

ffpc standard scoring

Carr or Burrow?
I am loving what Carr is cooking right now. Burrow has a tasty matchup but that could also turn into the Joe Mixon show 

If the Raiders are going to be competitive right now it will be because Carr is slinging it all over the field.

Heck I'm thinking of starting Carr over Josh Allen (mostly because I'm a Raider fan and already have four players going on Monday).

I'd go Sanders
Sanders made some comments yesterday about how the run game is important to winning (really?), and the game plan changed from what they practiced and other stuff like that.

I have to imagine Siriani agrees but I wonder how much he appreciates his RB putting that in ink.

Still I think there is a good chance Philli gets rolled on Sunday and taken out of the running game again.

Users who are viewing this thread