What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My wife had a heart attack Saturday. She's going to be ok (1 Viewer)

rustycolts

Footballguy
Saturday night my wife had a heart attack. Man that was scary even worse than when we found out she had breast cancer.

They put in a Stent and did a angeloplasty. So hopefully everything will be OK if we follow instructions. She finally is going to quit smoking and that will help a great deal.

We really got excellent care while she was in ICU. The nurses and staff were incredible there. Monday she was switched from ICU to another floor. An incident happened there by the nurse in charge of my wife's care.

Now if you know my wife she's like Will Rodgers she's never met a person she didn't like. She loves to talk no matter the situation¹¹¹ to be honest sometimes it can be distracting. About 2 hours before we left the nurse came in to give Lori some medication.  When Lori takes pills she puts a little liquid in her mouth then pops the pills. So the nurse gives her the pills in the little white container. Lori takes a sip and pops the pills. She immediately starts choking. I was freaking out my wife recovering from a heart attack and now she is choking badly. The nurse is pounding her on the back Lori sticks her hand down her throat and pulls out a pill still inside the package. 

How does something like that happen? I know my wife probably distracted her by talking so much but the nurse should have been able to still do her job. Maybe she was tired because I know they are working long hard hours. Our dilemma is weather we should report it. She got excellent care while there except for that last incident. If she was overworked and tired we don't want to cost her her job, but what if she is incompetent and ends up hurting someone should we report it. We have the pill and the package. Lori dug it out of the garbage. The nurse put it at the bottom of the can. The nurse also kept a very low profile the rest of the time we were there. By the look on her face when that package came out of Lori's mouth the nurse knew she screwed up.

So we really don't want her to lose her job,but should we go ahead and report it?

Sorry to hear this. I've heard of giving someone the wrong pill, but I've never heard of giving someone a pill without taking it out of the package. 

As far as whether to complain, that's entirely up to what you guys are comfortable with. There's no way to predict based off of a single incident whether the nurse is incompetent or just made a single isolated mistake (possibly due to fatigue). 

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn’t let the possibility of her losing her job keep you from saying something. They are probably under staffed and if this was a first offense, they will give her a warning or speak with her. If this type of thing is a pattern, they may deal with it differently.

I typically never complain. One of the few times I did was when my wife was in the hospital and had a crappy doctor deal with her once. The higher ups heard about that one and from what I understand he had been warned before. 

ETA - You could also add that the nurse was great other than that incident. List the positives of the stay as well. 

No need to report it. It sounds like it was an embarrassing moment for the nurse which should suffice. Surprised nobody else noticed it either. Did she get another pill or just skip that one?

Hope she makes a speedy recovery. Sounds like she's had it rough.

So sorry to hear about your wife and glad she's recovering.  I had a windowmaker 2 years ago and when I went to cardiac rehab I was stunned at how many there were women.  Often petite women.  Hope this wakes her up from smoking.  My cardiologist is adamant about it.  Heard her scare the hell out of a patient who somehow decided it was a good idea to pick up smoking again between episodes causing his first and 3rd stents.  Drinking is another big area besides diet and exercise of course.

I don't really understand what happened with the pill.  Are you saying that she put the pill still in the wrapper in the pill pack? Did your wife not look at it and swallowed the whole package?  I dunno.  Maybe should have been caught but in terms of egregious errors in a hospital (leave sponge or needle in after a surgery, wrong site surgery, etc) this isn't up there.  I might ask questions but from what I understand wouldn't make a big deal of it.  If you're uncomfortable though talk to the admitting physician, hospitalist or charge nurse on the floor.  Good luck with her recovery.

Thanks guys. We've decided not to say anything about what happened. I'm sure the nurse won't let something like that happen again. I could tell by the look on her face she knew she had screwed up. Plus if my wife took pills Like normal folks she would have noticed it before it ever hit her mouth and would have taken the pill out of the package. Of course I didn't tell my wife she wasn't normal, she probably realizes that after being married to me forever.

Rusty, sending lots of good wishes to you and your wife for a speedy recovery. I don't have a lot of experience with heart attacks, but one thing I've heard is that it can be very hard psychologically for people to come to terms with the feeling that their bodies have somehow "betrayed" them. Hopefully that doesn't happen to her, but my advice is to keep checking in on her even after the physical scars have healed.

And I hope you're taking care of yourself as well. It can be tough to be the caregiver for someone you love.

i had the old gripper last year and they are scary as hell i wish your wife all the best now get walking and eating right and enjoy the feeling of getting healthy it is a pretty good feeling and ive been able to stick with it and its been life changing and perspective changing take that to the bank brohans

I would not report it. People make mistakes. I couldn't imagine losing my crazy other half. Glad she is going to be ok. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Glad Lori is ok. I wouldn't report it either since no harm was done to Lori and seems she was like wtf herself. Everyone makes mistakes. 

Rusty, sending lots of good wishes to you and your wife for a speedy recovery. I don't have a lot of experience with heart attacks, but one thing I've heard is that it can be very hard psychologically for people to come to terms with the feeling that their bodies have somehow "betrayed" them. Hopefully that doesn't happen to her, but my advice is to keep checking in on her even after the physical scars have healed.
Indeed, there have been several studies showing that people who have had heart attacks are at elevated risk for depression. 

Indeed, there have been several studies showing that people who have had heart attacks are at elevated risk for depression. 
Man I sure hope not she has been on antidepressants for years she really doesn't need anything else on top of this.

Sometimes I wonder why bad things seem to always happen to good people. My wife would give the shirt off her back to a person in need. Then there are folks like me ornery old coots who seem to always get passes.

rusty one thing my doctors told me is that the depression is a real concern but that one good way to avoid it is to get healthy with your eating get healthy with walking and being physically active and finally to get healthy with getting a good amount of sleep every day and also i quit drinking which helped a lot too its a lot to do at once but it gives you a goal and for me that was life saving take that to the bank brohan 

Having a heart attack is a mind ####.  It takes awhile to get back to get back mentally.  Cardiac rehab is a must. You have to learn how to monitor your heart rate with activity. At first you think if I exercise hard, will I croak? If I have sex, will I make it through? My heart rate is up on a walk, what's wrong? A lot of getting back to some sense of normalcy is to trust that you will be OK.  That comes with doing everything brohan mentioned.  If diet, exercise, smoking, drinking, etc aren't addressed then there is a reason to be nervous.  On the flip side especially if the attack was minor like mine you can hopefully get to a place where you have many healthier years remaining.  Have to put the odds in your favor.

Having a heart attack is a mind ####.  It takes awhile to get back to get back mentally.  Cardiac rehab is a must. You have to learn how to monitor your heart rate with activity. At first you think if I exercise hard, will I croak? If I have sex, will I make it through? My heart rate is up on a walk, what's wrong? A lot of getting back to some sense of normalcy is to trust that you will be OK.  That comes with doing everything brohan mentioned.  If diet, exercise, smoking, drinking, etc aren't addressed then there is a reason to be nervous.  On the flip side especially if the attack was minor like mine you can hopefully get to a place where you have many healthier years remaining.  Have to put the odds in your favor.
It sounds like you were really able to strike the right balance. Take this #### seriously, and don't just assume things will magically go back to normal without hard work, but also know that it's possible to get there over time.

Reminds me a little of what the business writer Jim Collins has called the "Stockdale Paradox". Former POW James Stockdale (who was also Perot's VP nominee in '92) told him that the two types of people who did the worst in the prison camps were the overly optimistic, who assumed they'd be home by Christmas, and the overly pessimistic, who abandoned all hope. The ones who survived were able to realistically confront their short-term reality while also maintaining an unwavering faith that they would eventually make it through the ordeal.

Good attitude to take in lots of areas of our lives, including recovery from a health scare.

Man I sure hope not she has been on antidepressants for years she really doesn't need anything else on top of this.

Sometimes I wonder why bad things seem to always happen to good people. My wife would give the shirt off her back to a person in need. Then there are folks like me ornery old coots who seem to always get passes.
Thats actually you in your avatar blowing a shotgun to the bass, isnt it? 

Users who are viewing this thread