What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Larry Hogan - 2024 (1 Viewer)

(HULK)

(Smash)
Word is he's considering a run. I live in his state. I've voted for him for governor and I'm happy with what he's done like 87% of the time.

For clarity purposes, I'm an independent and these are my presidential votes in the past:

2000 - Gore

2004 - Kerry

2008 - Didn't Vote (was going to vote McCain until he picked up Palin, thought Obama didn't have enough experience)

2012 - Obama (although I liked a lot about Romney too... I tend to think of this a the time we had the best options)

2016 - Gary Johnson (I tend to think of this as the time we had the worst options)

2020 - Biden

That's a liberal lean coming through in my presidential votes, but despite that, I'd vote for Hogan over Joe B if that's the matchup in 2024. I don't know if Hogan can win the nomination since the Grand Old Party seems to have morphed into the Trump Only Party, but if he did, I think he'd make a great candidate. Thoughts?

I don't see him listed in Leroy Hoards poll (which is just horrible by the way) but I honestly have never heard of the guy.

I just don't see any way he can get the GOP nomination. 
It would require the Republican party divorcing Trump. Which they really should do, but probably won't.

It really sucks because if they keep running Trump and his stooges, my vote is already cast for the other side, which allows the Dems to put up stupid candidates too. And I'm stuck always picking the lesser of two evils instead of us actually finding good leaders. The present dynamic is terrible for the future of the country.

Another MD local here. Voted for him both times and am mostly happy with his administration.

That said, I don't want to see him run for President.

Whether everyone in the state agrees with him or not, I don't think it can be denied that he's done what he thought best for his state and all of its citizens, including the ones that voted against him. He beat cancer while in office and seems to take the high road on most issues, including 'standing up' to Trump. In another reality, he would be the type of President we need, but at such a polarizing time when neither side seems interested in finding middle ground, the only thing he would accomplish is becoming a caricature; the left would magnify his differences with liberalism, and the right as it's currently configured would marginalize him as a RINO to kill him in the primaries.

Hard Pass
 And as I was finishing that thought, here's Exhibit A.

Nothing personal here, but if you're actually into Republican politicians, you may want to do a little more homework on him.  Despite a fairly hostile state legislature and heavily Democrat controlled state in general, he not only was elected and re-elected, he also has been able to move the state forward and avoid the type of partisanship-driven gridlock we've had on the national level since at least Obama. Bottom line, he has his warts but if you like Republicans, he's not a bad option, which is why I'd hate to see what he'd go through if he were to run.

My Dad is lifelong blue collar Dem living in MD. He loves Hogan and has said he's one Republican he'd have no problem voting for president. But as we've seen all too often, Trump critics are a pariah in the GOP and would never get through the primary.

As a Baltimore City resident, he hasn't done much for me and my neighbors.  He seems to go out of his way to do things that benefit other places and not Baltimore, despite it being the largest city in MD.  I get it though, that's not where his base of support is.

That said, while he's likely one of the best GOP candidates and a person I have some respect and admiration for, I still wouldn't vote for him.  I didn't vote for him the 2 times he ran for governor despite the Democratic candidates being clowns.

MD resident for ~50 years. --I could pull the lever for him depending who Dems put out --

Last edited by a moderator:
Also a MD resident and in my circle of life there are more Republicans bashing Hogan than Dems and that is in main because I live in Carroll County which is the gateway to the confederacy here in Maryland and they view Hogan as a turncoat for his stance against Trump. Precisely why the impeachment resolution by Del. Cox was filed today as he represents my county among others further west and he is a staunch and vocal Trump supporter with no love lost for Hogan.

As a Baltimore City resident, he hasn't done much for me and my neighbors.  He seems to go out of his way to do things that benefit other places and not Baltimore, despite it being the largest city in MD.  I get it though, that's not where his base of support is.

That said, while he's likely one of the best GOP candidates and a person I have some respect and admiration for, I still wouldn't vote for him.  I didn't vote for him the 2 times he ran for governor despite the Democratic candidates being clowns.
Sooo true

Also a MD resident and in my circle of life there are more Republicans bashing Hogan than Dems and that is in main because I live in Carroll County which is the gateway to the confederacy here in Maryland and they view Hogan as a turncoat for his stance against Trump. Precisely why the impeachment resolution by Del. Cox was filed today as he represents my county among others further west and he is a staunch and vocal Trump supporter with no love lost for Hogan.
And people are dishonest enough to suggest that Trump doesn't have that party on lockdown.

Sad

Does he have any punchy lines about how the radical leftist Democrats are ruining the country?

Going to need those to even sniff the nom.

That's a liberal lean coming through in my presidential votes, but despite that, I'd vote for Hogan over Joe B if that's the matchup in 2024. I don't know if Hogan can win the nomination since the Grand Old Party seems to have morphed into the Trump Only Party, but if he did, I think he'd make a great candidate. Thoughts?

Direct Headline: Who Does Maryland’s Governor Really Work For?

Larry Hogan has more in common with Donald Trump than his reputation suggests...Both are real-estate executives who have refused to relinquish their private businesses while in office. Just as Trump maintained his ownership of the Trump Organization when he became president, Hogan maintained ownership of HOGAN, a multipurpose real-estate brokerage firm, when he became governor. Both have left close family members in charge of their businesses—Trump with his children; Hogan with his brother, Timothy—and created arrangements that allow them to be apprised of the company’s dealings. In other words, they have set up situations in which they can use their powerful government positions to increase their private profits. ..As governor, one of Hogan’s signature policies has been to expand state spending on roads, highways, and bridges at the expense of mass transit. His most controversial policy to date was to cancel the Red Line—a planned $2.9 billion metro rail line through Baltimore, for which the state had already acquired land. In the process, Hogan gave up $900 million in federal aid from the Obama administration. As The Baltimore Sun put it, “Hogan freed up hundred ...of millions of dollars he plans to use to undertake a significant shift in the state’s transportation priorities from public transit to road projects.” Hogan has advanced a number of major state transportation projects that are near properties his company owns, a development that can boost the value of those properties. Before canceling the Red Line, he approved construction of an interchange down the road from a parcel of land his company controlled. Later, he approved millions of dollars in road and sidewalk improvements near property he had bought approximately two years earlier and was turning into a housing development....Hogan’s real-estate business has only grown while he has been in office. In 2014, the year before he became governor, his company had ownership in 30 real-estate limited-liability companies, or LLCs, according to his financial-disclosure forms. Now, he has 43....But Hogan has not revealed payments he has received from specific real-estate transactions while in office. “He’s getting paid by developers all across the state—who he’s in charge of regulating in one way or another—and the public has no idea who they are”...Hogan’s income has far exceeded his official yearly government salary of roughly $180,000. From 2015 to 2018, his first three years as governor, he made a total of roughly $2.4 million, according to his tax returns for those years, which he released during his 2018 reelection campaign. But he has refused to release his returns for the years before he became governor, much like Donald Trump, giving the public no way to compare his earnings before and after he ascended to Annapolis. In addition, the tax returns Hogan has released do not include attached statements detailing the sources of his private income, effectively hiding what entities were paying him. ....The amount he’s made while in office is unprecedented... Hogan has made more money as governor than any other governor in the history of the state— and is the only one to have made millions of dollars while in office....But Hogan’s trust is not blind. The ethics commission granted the governor a “financial-interest exemption,” which allows him to continue to own real-estate projects and to be apprised of his company’s business dealings, as well as how much money he’s making... the arrangement “will not prevent me from requesting or receiving information about the status of the Hogan Companies . . . including the status of its current investments and... the identity of the investors and the locations of real property in which the Hogan Companies have an investment.”.... it was “misleading” to even call the arrangement a trust because Hogan is kept fully apprised of his investments and assets. “He owns it, he will benefit from it, he is not shielded from knowledge of what the holdings are....”

by Eric Cortellessa January 12, 2020

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2020/01/12/who-does-marylands-governor-really-work-for/

Maryland

Maryland, one of the original 13 colonies, entered the Union in April 1788 and has participated in all 59 presidential elections. Maryland has been primarily a “blue” state since the founding of the modern political parties (around the time of the Civil War). Since 1960, Maryland has voted Republican only in the landslide wins of Richard Nixon in 1972, Ronald Reagan in 1984 and George H. W. Bush in 1988. In 2020, Joe Biden more than doubled the vote of Donald Trump...

https://www.270towin.com/states/Maryland

Larry Hogan would get eaten alive in a general cycle. He's touted by many, not all, but many whom would never ever vote for him. He would immediately be attacked by the Progressives and establishment Black America for big money double dealings as Governor. This would daisy chain the identity politics machine and the activist MSM to chew him up simply for being a Republican. If you are a white male Republican and you are running against any Democrat in an election, then you are immediately going to get cast as a white supremacist/white nationalist or something of that nature to smear you.

Hogan denounced Trump because it was in his interests to denounce Trump, he resides in a clear cut blue stronghold. I don't call Manchin a GOP hero for voting for Kavanaugh for SCOTUS, which bucked his Party line, because he's in a Red stronghold and it's in his interests to do so. Kyrsten Sinema took her stance because she's also in a complicated voting area and so did Adam Kinzinger and Chris Christie is a notorious flip flopper when the winds suit it.

The biggest beneficiary of Hogan getting the RNC ticket wouldn't be the American people, it would be Stacey Abrams, who could get some media optics relief from all the dark money dealings she's scooped up and can't hide since she lost her Governor's race.

There's a common theme here - Radical leftists believe the only elected officials whom call themselves "true Republicans" are those who openly denounce Trump and then are willing to be human political punching bags later for a general cycle. But they ignore that the stance is usually politically expedient for them to hold their seats. And in Hogan's case, very profitable. I laugh when I see Mitt Romney's name tossed up in here like he's a ground and pound unit leader for the Rebel Alliance. Romney got torn apart in his general cycle, it's not like if he magically got the ticket that it wouldn't happen again.

Everyone has their free speech. But if you won't vote for them in a general cycle then how powerful are the accolades that you will give them just for not being Trump?

one of the few GOPers i would vote for.  won't happen.

Direct Headline: Adam Kinzinger, Republican Trump Critic, Won’t Seek Re-election in House

Illinois Democrats eliminated Mr. Kinzinger’s district in a new congressional map. He was one of 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach former President Donald J. Trump...Mr. Kinzinger’s electoral fate was largely sealed late Thursday when Illinois Democrats, in an 11th-hour vote shortly before midnight, adopted a new congressional map that eliminated the Republican-majority district Mr. Kinzinger represented for the last decade....The new Illinois congressional map, which Gov. J.B. Pritzker is expected to sign, is among the most gerrymandered to be adopted so far this year. It creates 14 districts in which Democrats are likely to win the general election, and just three Republican-majority districts....Illinois Democrats created districts that dart across the state to connect the maximum number of Democratic voters. They did this in order to squeeze 14 congressional seats for their party from the state, with little regard for how connected the communities may be...

By Reid J. Epstein Oct. 29, 2021

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/29/us/politics/adam-kinzinger-illinois-election.html

Tracking Congress In The Age Of Trump: An updating tally of how often every member of the House and the Senate votes with or against the president.

Adam Kinzinger , 117th Congress (2021-22) Republican representative for Illinois’s 16th District

How often Kinzinger votes in line with Trump’s position

115th Congress - 99%

116th Congress - 83.5%

117th Congress - 0%

Project 538  / UPDATED Jan. 13, 2021 at 5:11 PM

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/adam-kinzinger/

As we cover "few GOPers", let's just dispense with the hee haw and cover Republicans that have denounced Trump that are easy virtue signaling sock puppets for the radical leftists here. Let's start with Adam Kinzinger.

He voted along the lines of Trump when it suited his best then current political position. Then he realized by 2020, the establishment Democrats were going to gerrymander the living #### out of Illinois. And he knew there was no chance to stop it given Pritzker's endless dark money warchest. So he turned about face and kept hammering Trump hoping it would end up with him being rewarded by leaving him his seat. Instead of thanking him, his seat was eliminated by Democrats. Kinzinger bet wrong, he was getting cleared from the board no matter what. It was a last ditch attempt to not get wiped out from sitting elected office. The former 16th operated geographically like a ring, that shrouded near the Wisconsin and Indiana border. What Pritzker was going to do wasn't a secret. The map lines were going to look like some Texas high school football team trying to fit Ray "Voodoo Tatum" into their district lines.  In a mostly blue stronghold, Kinzinger knew his district was a ripe fat target for being shredded apart. Interesting to note that when Republicans do this map horse ####, it's "gerrymandering" but when Democrats do it, it's magically called "redistricting"

Kinzinger lined up with Trump when it served his best political interests and factoring in the nuances of his respective district. When that stopped being the case,  he predictably shifted to another direction.

Why is individual political survival magically ignored as the motive with the most imperative here?

Two-time Republican governor of Maryland, former businessman, one of the most outspoken Trump critics among significant Republican officeholders.

Direct Headline: Trump taps Christie to lead transition

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie will serve as the chairman for Donald Trump’s transition team should the billionaire businessman win the presidential election this fall....“Gov. Christie is an extremely knowledgeable and loyal person with the tools and resources to put together an unparalleled Transition Team, one that will be prepared to take over the White House when we win in November,” Trump said in a statement announcing the decision...Christie was the first sitting governor to endorse Trump back in February, less than a month after ending his own presidential campaign. Since then, Christie has faced questions about whether he’s vying for a potential spot as Trump’s running mate or in his Cabinet...Christie has had a visible presence in the Trump campaign in the past few months. He stood behind Trump during the presumptive nominee’s election night news conference nearly two weeks ago, and Christie traveled to Indiana last month with Trump to attend political meetings, including a meeting with Indiana Gov. Mike Pence....

By Ashley Killough, CNN Updated 1:22 PM EDT, Mon May 9, 2016

https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/09/politics/donald-trump-chris-christie-transition-team/index.html

Direct Headline: Once largely ‘unaffiliated,’ NJ voters now solidly Democratic

GOP has gained numbers as well, but Democrats outnumber them and independents...Last year, the number of registered Democrats in the state outnumbered unaffiliated voters for the first time. As of the first of the month, almost 40% of registrants were Democrats, 23% were Republicans....Voter registration always spikes in presidential years, but in 2008, the campaign of then-Sen. Barack Obama and several nonpartisan groups undertook major registration drives in Republican states, in particular, but also nationwide, targeting the low-income, minority and youth populations. In New Jersey that year, Democrats added more 600,000 new voters, compared to 180,000 for Republicans....In 2016 and 2020, the Democratic Party again outperformed its major rival in registration efforts, adding about 500,000 to its rolls, double that of the Republicans....“New Jersey Republicans are not (Donald) Trump people and they turned on (former Gov.) Chris Christie” during his second term.....

Colleen O'Dea October 20, 2021

https://www.njspotlightnews.org/2021/10/nj-governors-race-election-2021-democrats-big-voter-advantage-major-registration-drives-trump-obama-phil-murphy-jack-ciattarelli/

Let's now cover Chris Christie since his name will inevitably come up along with Hogan and Kinzinger.

Chris Christie accepted the post of leading Trump's POTUS transition team. He was the first Governor to openly endorse Trump. He gladly traveled with Trump was proud to "stand behind him" in front of cameras in the national daily media cycle when he thought he had a chance at VPOTUS. Christie has also flip flopped hard on Obamacare and Pro Life/Pro Choice. He's a flip flopper and he's notoriously bad at disguising he's a flip flopper. The only reason he's not highlighted more as such as the activist complicit MSM leans left and it's in their interests as propaganda arms to only focus on the Ant-Trump element of his positions. Just like they only focus on Lindsey Graham's pro Trump positions but ignore his previous Smear The Cheeto taglines.

Trying to sell that Christie is leading some Spartan like defense of Thermopylae against the MAGA base is beyond ridiculous. That has no basis in actual reality. Christie, just like Kinzinger, lined up with Trump when it served their best political interests and factoring in the nuances of their respective districts. When that stopped being the case, like NJ turning heavy blue due to Obama's legacy of ballot chasing/ballot harvesting there with boatloads of dark money,  there was a shift to another direction.

This bizarre twisted notion that Hogan, Christie or Kinzinger should be cast as Jon Snow who wouldn't betray his vow to kneel to Stannis is simply hilarious. The perception of someone being "bi-partisan" in professional politics is typically linked to some complication in their district. People cut deals to survive another day, why is that some kind of huge surprise? Again, why is individual political survival magically ignored as the motive with the most imperative here? Of course someone like Manchin has to go across the aisle sometimes in a heavy Red area. Stacey Abrams did it plenty to not get wiped out as Georgia House Minority Leader. But you don't see much talk of that here.

The problem with a majority of the radical left is they just parrot clickbait social media outrage without any practical context and without depth to basic political reality of the situation in question.

Direct Headline: Stacey Abrams: I'm running for governor and am $200,000 in debt

Turner Cowles November 6, 2018

https://www.yahoo.com/now/stacey-abrams-im-running-governor-200000-debt-191600455.html

Direct Headline: Stacey Abrams’s Record Is Not as Progressive as She Wants You to Think

By the time Abrams had ascended to leadership in 2010, the Democrats had lost the governor’s office for the third time and held just eighty-five of the state House and Senate’s 236 seats.. In such a weak position, Abrams made repeatedly clear she saw her role primarily as one of working with Republicans. “We should, first and foremost, compromise where we can,” she later said, stressing it would be the only way the Democrats could have an impact.

By Branko Marcetic 7/24/2020

https://jacobinmag.com/2020/07/stacey-abrams-democratic-party

What do Larry Hogan, whom has no chance at POTUS, and Stacey Abrams, an actual legitimate 2024 POTUS contender, have in common?

They do what it takes, as of today, to try to hold their seat and maintain their current political survival. And if it means deviating from their past actions, then so be it.

When Abrams was House minority leader, she was seen as a traitor by many in her own Party and kowtowing to the reality that there was a deep Red entrenchment that she didn't likely believe she could overcome. She was also in massive debt and staying in politics was a matter of pure financial day to day life survival.  Her policy record as Minority Leader shows she was the most brutal to the most poor and most in need of help within the greater black community in her districts.That was her view of "compromise" but it bought her enough political capital over a decade ago to ensure her basic political survival. Now she's the new Queen of Woke when that storyline serves her best as of today. 

Is that bi-partisan to the raging woke cancel culture tribalists in here and out there?

That looks like complicit surrender to move the target off her own back. When her power position changed, she shifted with the tides and winds that pushed her ship in a direction that served her best.

Do some of you realize how utterly ridiculous you sound trying to push some virtue signaling image of a heroic "ethical beyond all measure" Republican who is magically fighting off the Cult of Trump? As if there's absolutely nothing in it for those people to take those stances. As if refusing to follow the money is going to wash away what lies as apparent motive for personal survival.

It's not hard to spot low information voters. Political zombies doing exactly what social media clickbait outrage shock marketing tells them to do. Every minute that many of you choose to remain as low information voters, you have made the decision to create a toxic world for your children to inherit. It doesn't matter what side of the aisle you support, just being a parrot like human sock puppet to repeat slogans and cooked agendas is not a real forward step towards having a free and fair society for the people you will leave behind.

For many of you, your unchecked zealot tribalism means the only real casualties will be your children.

.... He beat cancer while in office and seems to take the high road on most issues, including 'standing up' to Trump.

Was it "standing up to Trump"?

The state voted about 65 percent for Biden in the 2020 general cycle. That's a 2 to 1 margin. Republicans in Blue strongholds have to tap dance around and play the middle. Democrats in Red strongholds have to tap dance around and play the middle. Both Republicans and Democrats who are seeing shifting long term tides in how their state might change one way or another have to be predictive in how they tap dance and play the middle. You can't win elections without money so each elected official has to calculate whom they owe political pork and what stance won't incite big money donors to abandon them, so that's also part of the tap dance in play.

Denouncing Trump was the best way to avoid personal political suicide.

Larry Hogan has made more money as sitting Governor and while in office than any other Governor in recorded American political history. He literally forced fed an exemption in state so he could essentially run his businesses through his brother. He is profiting from private businesses in which he also regulates them. Does that sound like a soft easy way to reap in big dollars to you?

Hogan refuses to disclose his true financials. Of course he won't, do you know how much graft and dark money is being pumped through his campaign and through his businesses? You know who else did that? Trump.

Larry Hogan and Donald Trump actually have quite a bit in common. Hogan sure did stand up, he stood up in front of a portrait of Trump and it started to look like a mirror.

Hating Donald Trump doesn't change what Larry Hogan did or did not do to line his pockets with political dark money.

Does he have any punchy lines about how the radical leftist Democrats are ruining the country?

Going to need those to even sniff the nom.

Direct Headline: 'Heartbreaking' conditions in US migrant child camp

At a US border detention centre in the Texan desert, migrant children have been living in alarming conditions - where disease is rampant, food can be dangerous and there are reports of sexual abuse, an investigation by the BBC has found through interviews with staff and children....A number of tents have also been set up just to accommodate the large numbers of sick children - the children have nicknamed it 'Covid city'....."Hundreds of children have tested positive for Covid," said one employee who asked to remain anonymous because staff are banned from speaking about the camp...."Lice has been rampant," an employee told the BBC. "And one of the major shortages has been lice kits." Staff said a tent of around 800 girls was locked down last month because of lice.....There are reports of staff sexually abusing children at the Fort Bliss camp. At a camp training session, secretly recorded by a staff member and shared with the BBC, an employee voiced concern...."We have already caught staff with minors inappropriately,"...

By Hilary Andersson BBC News 23 June 2021

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57561760

Direct Headline: US border agents engaged in ‘shocking abuses’ against asylum seekers, report finds

Human Rights Watch said that the documents “paint a picture of DHS as an agency that appears to have normalized shocking abuses at the US border. The US should take urgent and sustained action to stop such abuses”.

Ed Pilkington Thu 21 Oct 2021 11.54 EDT

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/oct/21/us-border-agents-shocking-abuses-asylum-seekers

Direct Headline: ‘You Have to Pay With Your Body’: The Hidden Nightmare of Sexual Violence on the Border

For weeks in that locked room, the men she had paid to get her safely to the United States drugged her with pills and cocaine, refusing to let her out even to bathe. “I think that since they put me in that room, they killed me,” she said. “They raped us so many times they didn’t see us as human beings anymore.”...On America’s southern border, migrant women and girls are the victims of sexual assaults that most often go unreported, uninvestigated and unprosecuted.....Women have reported being assaulted in immigration detention facilities, and the federal government over a recent four-year period has received more than 4,500 complaints about the sexual abuse of immigrant children at government-funded detention facilities....

By Manny Fernandez March 3, 2019

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/03/us/border-rapes-migrant-women.html

Public policy by the radical left and the clear identity politics driven Biden Administration has put rape at the Southern Border in over drive.

So whether it's Larry Hogan, or Adam Kinzinger, or Chris Christie, how about not putting the US government and our collective tax dollars as being complicit in having 11 and 12 year old little brown girls being gang raped and sodomized at the Border?

It's not just the unchecked crime being allowed in the US, mostly in Big Blue Cities, and cooked bail reform policies and demonizing active law enforcement, it's the impact in the world around us.

How many people here are parents?

How many people here have daughters? Nieces? Granddaughters? Female cousins? How many people here work day to day in careers like health care or education or other public services where they deal with little children on a daily basis?

How do you think they feel about a current administration that has normalized the violation and rape of innocent children?

So yes, the radical leftist Democrats and their cooked idiotic public policy in this past year has turned millions of innocent children in Afghanistan and at the Southern Border into living breathing human toilets.

But if your "tribe" gets a cheap hollow "win" and you can get some more Orange/Man/Bad, then you'll casually ignore the collateral damage.

Why don't you tell every last single person here who is a parent about the kind of world you are willing to leave their children as long as you can get off on your personal hatred against Donald Trump.

Was it "standing up to Trump"?

The state voted about 65 percent for Biden in the 2020 general cycle. That's a 2 to 1 margin. Republicans in Blue strongholds have to tap dance around and play the middle. Democrats in Red strongholds have to tap dance around and play the middle. Both Republicans and Democrats who are seeing shifting long term tides in how their state might change one way or another have to be predictive in how they tap dance and play the middle. You can't win elections without money so each elected official has to calculate whom they owe political pork and what stance won't incite big money donors to abandon them, so that's also part of the tap dance in play.

Denouncing Trump was the best way to avoid personal political suicide.

Larry Hogan has made more money as sitting Governor and while in office than any other Governor in recorded American political history. He literally forced fed an exemption in state so he could essentially run his businesses through his brother. He is profiting from private businesses in which he also regulates them. Does that sound like a soft easy way to reap in big dollars to you?

Hogan refuses to disclose his true financials. Of course he won't, do you know how much graft and dark money is being pumped through his campaign and through his businesses? You know who else did that? Trump.

Larry Hogan and Donald Trump actually have quite a bit in common. Hogan sure did stand up, he stood up in front of a portrait of Trump and it started to look like a mirror.

Hating Donald Trump doesn't change what Larry Hogan did or did not do to line his pockets with political dark money.
I don't know whether to be impressed or concerned that you're dragging up a 3 month-old comment to attack.

Remember, very few prominent Republicans were saying anything negative about Trump when this happened, and so many other more were staying quiet, so in context I consider it a form of standing up to him. Political suicide is the last thing on his mind. He's a lame-duck governor and doesn't seem to have any interest in continuing his career in politics.

The dark money angle is a non-starter; the list of politicians anywhere without some sort of shady business supporting them is pretty short. 

Thanks for reminding me you're nothing but a two-bit pirate and greenmailer. 

Two-time Republican governor of Maryland, former businessman, one of the most outspoken Trump critics among significant Republican officeholders.

Direct Headline: Nikki Haley criticizes Trump and says he has no future in the GOP

"We need to acknowledge he let us down," she told Politico magazine in an interview published Friday. "He went down a path he shouldn't have, and we shouldn't have followed him, and we shouldn't have listened to him. And we can't let that ever happen again."..."When I tell you I'm angry, it's an understatement," Haley told Politico. "Mike has been nothing but loyal to that man. He's been nothing but a good friend of that man. ... I am so disappointed in the fact that [despite] the loyalty and friendship he had with Mike Pence, that he would do that to him. Like, I'm disgusted by it."...

By Veronica Stracqualursi, CNN 10:18 AM ET, Fri February 12, 2021

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/12/politics/nikki-haley-donald-trump-gop/index.html

Direct Headline: Nikki Haley breaks with Trump: 'We shouldn't have followed him'

"He’s got a big bully pulpit. He should be responsible with it," she said. ....Haley in the days immediately following the attack said in a speech to Republican National Committee (RNC) members that Trump was “badly wrong with his words” at his Jan. 6 rally. ..."And it wasn’t just his words," she added at the time. "His actions since Election Day will be judged harshly by history."...“Nor do I think the Republican Party is going to go back to the way it was before Donald Trump. I don’t think it should."

By Celine Castronuovo - 02/12/21 07:22 AM EST

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/538573-haley-breaks-with-trump-we-shouldnt-have-followed-him

Nikki Haley is a two time Governor of South Carolina and an Ambassador to the United Nations. She has massive foreign policy experience and has spotlessly clean optics. And since she's a minority woman, the entire cooked left leaning activist complicit MSM agenda of screaming white nationalism/white supremacy threat won't fly. She also denounced Trump and J6, but of course the radical leftists here pretends that she doesn't exist, because unlike Larry Hogan, she's an actual contender, has big money backing and she can actually win in 2024.

That's the big thing here. Lots of Democrats here, not all but far too many, want a Republican who will get on their knees to the establishment Democrats and slam Trump but have no real chance to win. It's not like if Liz Cheney ran for President, that any of your radical lefties would vote for her in a general cycle. Nor Adam Kinzinger. Nor Mitt Romney.

If the litmus test is criticizing Donald Trump, then Nikki Haley qualifies. Except for some of you, she won't qualify, because it doesn't fit your tribalism.

Remember, very few prominent Republicans were saying anything negative about Trump when this happened, and so many other more were staying quiet, so in context I consider it a form of standing up to him. Political suicide is the last thing on his mind. He's a lame-duck governor and doesn't seem to have any interest in continuing his career in politics.

The dark money angle is a non-starter; the list of politicians anywhere without some sort of shady business supporting them is pretty short. 

Direct Headline: Kyrsten Sinema Is Confounding Her Own Party. But … Why?

Sinema’s resistance to core pieces of her party’s agenda may seem puzzling from an electoral perspective.... But it’s also possible that she’s striking the ideal strategic balance between primary and general election electability....The conventional wisdom is that Sinema rushed toward the center for electoral reasons, as she moved from representing a solidly blue electorate to purpler ones. Former President Obama carried her state legislative seat by 26 percentage points in 2008... but Obama carried her congressional seat by less than 5 points in 2012....If Sinema is acting moderate for electoral reasons, she clearly disagrees with the conventional wisdom about how moderate a swing-state senator needs to be....Sinema is presumably betting that Democrats who dislike her will vote for her regardless, and that at least some Republicans who like her will vote for her, too. It’s not an outlandish notion: Those liberal Democrats, as frustrated as they are at Sinema, will probably find her Republican opponent more odious, and while there aren’t a lot of voters who can be persuaded to cross party lines, they do exist....It may be her donors. In a September report, liberal group Accountable.US found that Sinema raised at least $923,065 from business interests that opposed Biden’s budget reconciliation plan, such as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, a longtime Sinema ally....

By Nathaniel Rakich Oct. 11, 2021, at 6:00 AM

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/kyrsten-sinema-is-confounding-her-own-party-but-why/

Sinema has been routinely attacked in the past half year of being a DINO and a Republican plant and being a traitor to her own Party.

But there's a larger and more compelling argument to motive that Sinema is shaping her policy views ( just like everyone else in Congress) based on her ability to be reelected or not. Also based on her campaign donor profile.  So that just makes her just like every other professional politician - Worried about their own political survival first.

Larry Hogan and his brother still have to do business in that state for the long haul, and they've got big money and big dollars at stake for themselves, and it's a clear Blue stronghold. Hogan wasn't standing up to Trump. He was ensuring not to alienate his major and future donors and business partners and power players in his state by looking Pro Trump in a district where doing so is going to get you cancelled, attacked, demonized and demonetized.

Again, your litmus test of a "Good Republican" is someone who will smear Trump in public. That's completely ridiculous, tribalistic and pathetic.

Every elected official is going to take the path that ensures their own political survival. If it's to align with Trump to achieve that, that's what they are going to do. If it's to denounce him, that's what they are going to do instead.

The narrative being driven in this thread is a cheap ham fisted purity test that is eaten whole by low information zealot voters. It's not in line with basic functional political reality. Of course lots of Republicans will say nothing. Why make enemies when you don't have to do it? Members of the Democratic Party do the same thing. Many of them didn't support "Defund The Police" and thought it was stupid but they held their tongues because the major players in the Party were pushing it. Why incite more problems for your own district when every politician already has to fight to keep their own seat.

You demand virtue signaling without any form of common sense attached to it. People here do it everyday when they go to work. They bite their tongues on stuff they don't like because they know if they keep rocking the boat, bad things will happen to them at work. It's not just Sinema and Hogan, it's everyone. Everyone here has to calculate risk vs reward and what helps them versus hurts them.

As for your excuse of "Everyone does it" to try to wipe away Larry Hogan's path towards using his Governorship like a personal ATM machine for dark money, that doesn't fly at all. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Saying everyone does it isn't an excuse for Hogan just like it's not an excuse for Trump nor anyone else. Is that the value system you teach your children? Do you teach your kids to see right and wrong that way? Larry Hogan's sins don't get washed away because it's in his personal political interests and profit margin to slam Donald Trump as much as possible.

He's a lame-duck governor and doesn't seem to have any interest in continuing his career in politics.
There have been strong rumors that he's going to challenge for an MD Senate seat (Chris Van Hollen, incumbent).  He's likely to have a decent chance, but Van Hollen would still probably be favored.

Huh... been out of it for a while.  Hogan said he will not run for the Senate seat in 2022. He still might make a Presidental bid though in 2024.

There have been strong rumors that he's going to challenge for an MD Senate seat (Chris Van Hollen, incumbent).  He's likely to have a decent chance, but Van Hollen would still probably be favored.
He announced he's not running for Senate.  I think he feels the MAGA crowd losing grip just a touch and he hopes that they continue to wake up as Trump's Jan 6th actions continue to be revealed so Larry would have a credible WH run in '24. 

Hogan is the kind of Republican Dems love to say the GOP should pick as he is very beatable...he won't get the base fired-up and while some dems say they would vote for him that's just not gonna happen once they get in the booth (or mail in their vote) as they will claim he did something during the primaries to appease the far right and that disappointed them.

Hogan is the kind of Republican Dems love to say the GOP should pick as he is very beatable...he won't get the base fired-up and while some dems say they would vote for him that's just not gonna happen once they get in the booth (or mail in their vote) as they will claim he did something during the primaries to appease the far right and that disappointed them.
So an intelligent, well spoken, successful businessman, bi-partisan with Republican values and priorities won't get the base fired up?

Maybe if he started calling his opponents middle school names or publicly admitted to sexual assault?

So an intelligent, well spoken, successful businessman, bi-partisan with Republican values and priorities won't get the base fired up?

Maybe if he started calling his opponents middle school names or publicly admitted to sexual assault?

No he won't...just like Joe Manchin won't get the dem base fired-up.

No he won't...just like Joe Manchin won't get the dem base fired-up.
Joe Manchin would have a much much better shot of getting the dem nomination than anyone R who dared to criticize Trump.

I'd be for Manchin in a heartbeat.  Truth be told I much much prefer him to radicals like AOC.  At least the dems aren't completely wedded to one horrible man.

Virtue signaling? I think you threw that term out there so you could do it yourself in your scathing reply. You clearly have no idea of my motives and instead just made assumptions that you could attack. Kudos for so fully eviscerating this false version of me that you created.

Huh... been out of it for a while.  Hogan said he will not run for the Senate seat in 2022. He still might make a Presidental bid though in 2024.
If he does, he'll have plenty of dark money to do it.

He announced he's not running for Senate.  I think he feels the MAGA crowd losing grip just a touch and he hopes that they continue to wake up as Trump's Jan 6th actions continue to be revealed so Larry would have a credible WH run in '24. 
Hogan's chances are already sunk; GG has made sure of it by reminding us that Hogan's nothing but a grifter.

Joe Manchin would have a much much better shot of getting the dem nomination than anyone R who dared to criticize Trump.

I'd be for Manchin in a heartbeat.  Truth be told I much much prefer him to radicals like AOC.  At least the dems aren't completely wedded to one horrible man.

BS about Manchin having a chance and you know it...please don't tell me that after seeing how he and Sinema are being treated...the Dems may not be wedded to one man but they have had Bernie come in second in their last two primaries...he is as radical as you get.

BS about Manchin having a chance and you know it...please don't tell me that after seeing how he and Sinema are being treated...the Dems may not be wedded to one man but they have had Bernie come in second in their last two primaries...he is as radical as you get.
Bernie has been curbstomped by the moderate candidates.  Sure the radical left has a certain following, but it's far too small to win elections. 

Maybe that changes going forward but I doubt it.  Dems are dying for a reasonable moderate right now with no perceived baggage like someone like Pete has.

I hope Amy K gains traction. 

Just lol at Hogan being a grifter.  Dude's the kind of politician I wish most were.  HTF else could he get elected as an R in the people's republic of Maryland?
I'll be serious now.

Like you, I live in MD. I like Hogan's public persona and political track record. And that's why I hope he DOESN'T run in '24. After surviving cancer and a hostile state legislature for the last 8 years, I think he should retire from public life while he's relatively ahead. Plus, he'll have more time to spend all that dark money he's squirreled away.

He crushed the Dem candidate in MD in his last reelection bid.  That's in a state that went like 65% for Biden. It's very possible that Hogan could pull significantly from the middle and win in a general for POTUS.  He won't get through a GOP primary though. 

I'm a Democrat and I agree with you about Manchin.  Would have zero chance in the Democratic primary. 

Was on my list when asked about people I'd vote for.  He has as much chance of winning the GOP primary as Tulsi has of winning the Dem primary.  Will never have the opportunity to vote for someone like this in the GOP until Trump is dead and gone.

He crushed the Dem candidate in MD in his last reelection bid.  That's in a state that went like 65% for Biden. It's very possible that Hogan could pull significantly from the middle and win in a general for POTUS.  He won't get through a GOP primary though. 
Same was said about Mitt Romney…IMO people will play footsies with the other party at the local level but will not at the Presidential level unless it is someone like Trump or Bernie if he ever made it thru the primary.

Virtue signaling? I think you threw that term out there so you could do it yourself in your scathing reply. You clearly have no idea of my motives and instead just made assumptions that you could attack. Kudos for so fully eviscerating this false version of me that you created.

If he does, he'll have plenty of dark money to do it.

Hogan's chances are already sunk; GG has made sure of it by reminding us that Hogan's nothing but a grifter.

Direct Headline: While he's been governor, Larry Hogan's real estate business has continued to thrive — prompting questions

While Hogan stepped aside at the company and turned his assets over to be managed by a trust, the Republican governor has continued to profit. Last week Hogan released tax returns that show he’s made about $2.4 million in corporate earnings while governor. According to a review of financial disclosure forms, his corporate holdings include stakes in commercial real estate deals as well as residential and retail developments around Maryland....Many of them are new. In the past three years, Hogan’s trust has reported ownership interests in about 20 newly created limited liability companies — a type of business entity often used by developers to oversee projects.....As Hogan seeks a second term, this arrangement has drawn criticism from Democrats, who have sought to tie Hogan to President Donald Trump, and renewed a debate about the lengths to which businessmen-turned-politicians should wall themselves off from their private enterprises.....“Just like Donald Trump, Larry Hogan’s businesses are still being operated by his closest relatives, they are cloaked in secrecy, and they raise many questions about the decisions he makes as governor,” says Maryland Democratic Party Chair Kathleen Matthews....The commission also granted a “financial interest exemption” that allows the governor to maintain ownership of real estate projects and permits the trustees to provide the governor and his accountant details on how much money he’s making....State Sen. Richard S. Madaleno Jr., a Montgomery County Democrat, urged Hogan to release his tax returns from prior years to help assure voters that his earnings haven’t been boosted by being in public office. Madaleno, who released six years of tax returns during his unsuccessful bid for the Democratic nomination for governor, said he’s concerned there isn’t a blind trust separating Hogan from the firm now headed by his brother....“It’s the exact same as Donald Trump’s sons running the Trump Organization,” he added....A billionaire developer before he took office, Trump formed a trust that is not blind because he knows how his assets are performing, has close relationships with trustees, and can revoke it at any time.

By Luke Broadwater The Baltimore Sun Jul 13, 2018 at 5:00 AM

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-ci-hogan-business-20180708-story.html

Notice established Democrats in politics around the Maryland sphere are using terms like

1) "tie Hogan to Donald Trump"

2) "Just like Donald Trump"

3) "Release your tax returns" ( i.e. don't hide them like Donald Trump)

4) "It's the exact SAME as Donald Trump"

If Larry Hogan got the 2024 RNC ticket , how exactly do you think he would be attacked by the Democratic Party?

AOC, The Squad, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren would all immediately hammer Hogan on his financial double dealings.

The Obama/Biden/Harris/Rice regime would likely just start calling him a white supremacist for the crime of being a heterosexual white male with wealth who happens to be a Republican.

Yes, that's the truth. Larry Hogan is just another political grifter who used his office to generate lots of money for himself and his brother and his companies. He decides on state regulations on other companies he chooses or chooses not to do business with in Maryland. Think about the massive influence he has based on his access of information and his power base from elected office.

So yes, if Hogan ran for POTUS, he would be smeared as "Just Like Trump"

Again, all the liberals virtue signaling about how Hogan is some kind of magical unicorn version of an idealized Republican would never vote for him in a general cycle. They just love him for today because he'll smear Trump. And why wouldn't he smear Trump, his state is a Blue stronghold and the leverage point is a 2 to 1 ratio against his Party with a massive established influx of Team Blue ballot harvesting and ballot chasing in all his critical districts.

You are bringing absolutely zero to this discussion about Larry Hogan. Zero. But it's your free speech. I'm bringing up issues you can't and won't address since it doesn't fit your personal tribalism. Again, that's your free will and your free speech.

But go on, surprise me and everyone else here, actually address the complex issues about Larry Hogan and the money machine around him in Maryland that is ripe for attack if he tried to run for President.

But go on, surprise me and everyone else here, actually address the complex issues about Larry Hogan and the money machine around him in Maryland that is ripe for attack if he tried to run for President.
I've never argued that Hogan doesn't have shady dealings; in fact, in case you missed it, here's what I said not long after you wasted the straw Charlie Steiner effigy you created:

I'll be serious now.

Like you, I live in MD. I like Hogan's public persona and political track record. And that's why I hope he DOESN'T run in '24. After surviving cancer and a hostile state legislature for the last 8 years, I think he should retire from public life while he's relatively ahead. Plus, he'll have more time to spend all that dark money he's squirreled away.

I'm not sure how really hostile the legislature has been to Hogan. For such a solid blue state, the legislature doesn't do many progressive things. 

It's also fair to know that I'm opposed to Hogan in general and that I'm practically a Marxist by local standards (another Carroll Countian here).

Same was said about Mitt Romney…IMO people will play footsies with the other party at the local level but will not at the Presidential level unless it is someone like Trump or Bernie if he ever made it thru the primary.
I balked at McCain when Palin was forced upon him. Having seen what's happened since I've realized what a mistake that was. I wouldn't do it again. Hogan could attach him to MTG (okay, maybe not that far) and I'd still vote for him. 

I'm not sure how really hostile the legislature has been to Hogan. For such a solid blue state, the legislature doesn't do many progressive things. 

It's also fair to know that I'm opposed to Hogan in general and that I'm practically a Marxist by local standards (another Carroll Countian here).
Somewhat agreed.  They did break his veto a few times.

Also, why Carroll County?

Users who are viewing this thread