What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daycare issue (1 Viewer)

Warrior

Footballguy
We brought our 3 month old son into daycare for the first time today and ran into a concern. When speaking with the director a month or so ago, they assured us of a few things that didn't happen today. They said that all visitors and children would be temperature checked at the door as a covid policy. They also said that they would use our sheets in his crib, which we brought in. 

For both drop-off and pick-up, none of us were temp checked either time (same for another parent/kid arriving around the same time). They didn't ask us any questions about whether we've had symptoms, etc.When we arrived a bit early to pick him up today (first day), we didn't see his sheet in any of the cribs and it was still in the backpack we left. There were other issues we are a bit upset about, but these are the two 'policies' they touted that they aren't following. 

My question is....on day 1, you would hope they're on top of their game to make a good impression. If they're not following their own policies, can I really trust the other things they assured us they'll do? Before speaking with the director, I'm really just trying to guage whether this is something that I should chalk up as not a big deal, or as a sign of things to come and underlying issues if we stay with this daycare? As a new parent, I'm trying not to overreact. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We brought our 3 month old son into daycare for the first time today and ran into a concern. When speaking with the director a month or so ago, they assured us of a few things that didn't happen today. They said that all visitors and children would be temperature checked at the door as a covid policy. They also said that they would use our sheets in his crib, which we brought in. 

For both drop-off and pick-up, none of us were temp checked either time (same for another parent /kid arriving around the same time). When we arrived a bit early to pick him up today (first day), we didn't see his sheet in any of the cribs and it was still in the backpack we left. There were other issues we are a bit upset about, but these are the two 'policies' they touted that they aren't following. 

My question is....on day 1, you would hope they're on top of their game to make a good impression. If they're not following their own policies, can I really trust the other things they assured us they'll do? Before speaking with the director, I'm really just trying to guage whether this is something that I should chalk up as not a big deal, or as a sign of things to come and underlying issues if we stay with this daycare? As a new parent, I'm trying not to overreact. 
I would ask them why they didn't follow the policies outlined by the director. That's what you are paying for.

I would ask them why they didn't follow the policies outlined by the director. That's what you are paying for.
This. Low threshold to move elsewhere if feasible.

Temp check may be something that changed recently. The crib sheet, while "minor", shouldn't happen. That's a lack of attention to detail and in that age group is a big deal.

It's tough because I feel like we're walking on eggshells and don't want to rub them the wrong way on day 1 and have them take it out on our child on the off chance we're over-reacting. Lots of emotions on the first day we hand over our little guy. 

Tough to say. Our daycare dropped temperature checks relatively recently so maybe that procedure was dropped in the last month? Also, our daycare has had staff leave recently and is having a super hard time getting enough staff (which I understand to be an industry-wide problem). So they may not have staff to have somebody at the front door. 

As far as the bedsheets go, could be any number of reasons. Somebody forgot, they were busy, who knows. 

I'd just ask about both questions. If they respond well, great. If they don't, then maybe you look for something different. But communication is key so I'd start by trying to talk to someone. 

It's tough because I feel like we're walking on eggshells and don't want to rub them the wrong way on day 1 and have them take it out on our child on the off chance we're over-reacting. Lots of emotions on the first day we hand over our little guy. 
Don't feel like you are walking on eggshells. Their job is a big responsibility and you are likely paying them handsomely for that.

They won't take it out on your child. If you have any inkling that that's a possibility, move away ASAP.

It's expected for you to have those emotions. This isn't their first time like it is yours.

First day with the first kid is tough. I cried leaving my first kid that first day. But just talk to them, get it figured out, and it'll get easier. Best part of the day is still when I pick the kids up or my wife brings them through the front door. 

Temp checks are a HUGE waste of time and for theater only. 

What's the reason for using your own blanket?

I dunno. Both complaints sound a bit "helicoptor" to me.
Both things were supposed to be done. Neither was done.

I don't want to leave my kid at a place where they're not doing the obvious things already agreed upon... that lack of caring/attention to detail shows me there are going to be a bunch more things they're not going to do that are likely worse. That's not helicopter parenting- that's somebody else doing a crappy job with the thing most dear in our lives 

Both things were supposed to be done. Neither was done.

I don't want to leave my kid at a place where they're not doing the obvious things already agreed upon... that lack of caring/attention to detail shows me there are going to be a bunch more things they're not going to do that are likely worse. That's not helicopter parenting- that's somebody else doing a crappy job with the thing most dear in our lives 
The temp check thing is a complete waste of time. They stopped doing that nonsense (and health screenings lol) at my son's school. Thankfully, some common sense is restored.

@Warrior regarding the crib sheets, you told the director a month or so ago. Did you mention it again this morning when you dropped off your baby? 

Oh come on man. This is his first child.  That day is hard enough when you drop off your child for the first time. 
The guy is asking for opinions on if he over reacted. I didnt realize we all had to agree with him. Why bother asking for advice if the expectation is everyone should agree with you?

Jeez wtf happened to this place?

@Warrior regarding the crib sheets, you told the director a month or so ago. Did you mention it again this morning when you dropped off your baby? 

Yeah, we were told that if you bring in your own sheets, they'll use those. I assume it's d/t allergies they may have to certain detergents. Or perhaps just so it smells like home to help with the transition. When we dropped him off, we pulled out a few things and told them "here are his pacifiers, here are his bottles, and here are his crib sheets", etc. and handed them each over. 

Yeah, we were told that if you bring in your own sheets, they'll use those. I assume it's d/t allergies they may have to certain detergents. Or perhaps just so it smells like home to help with the transition. When we dropped him off, we pulled out a few things and told them "here are his pacifiers, here are his bottles, and here are his crib sheets", etc. 
Got it. Sounds like this is normally something they do. Maybe they forgot. If it bothers you just remind them at dropoff tomorrow.

Stick up for your kid and you. Talk to the director. There's only a million other similar incidents in the future.

Temp checks are a HUGE waste of time and for theater only. 

What's the reason for using your own blanket?

I dunno. Both complaints sound a bit "helicoptor" to me.

Oh come on man. This is his first child.  That day is hard enough when you drop off your child for the first time. 
 It can be both.  The items themselves are kind of helicoptery but you definitely should bring up the situation to the management that things they said they were going to do weren't being done.  Trust from your daycare is essential and you need to be comfortable that they will do the things they say or will you always be questioning them which can become important on things that matter.  

The main problem may be the Director is saying procedures will be followed, but the "hands on" care providers are not following them. We ran into the same problem when our oldest son was first in daycare. We ended up putting him in a much smaller daycare that had two employees and a limit of 6 kids. That might not be a feasible option for you, I don't know. 

But, I wouldn't let anyone tell you that you're overreacting regarding the care of your (I assume) first born child. Do whatever you need to do to let you function at work and sleep soundly at night knowing he is in good hands while away from you.

Thanks for all the replies. As some of you pointed out, we don't really care (much) about the specific things they missed. Crib sheets and temp checks aren't big concerns for us. It's much more about telling us about all the great procedures they have in place to bring us in, and then missing/forgetting some of those procedures already on day 1. Makes you wonder what other procedures they assured us of that they'll be "forgetting" going forward. Nobody is perfect of course, but like one of you mentioned, it's a very important service with a lot on the line that we pay a lot for. 

I feel so lucky that we were able to wait until my daughter was older than 2 before we needed daycare.    I'd have been a wreck that young at the time 

No other advice than has been mentioned.

GL

No big deal in my opinion.

But I've never understood why people worry about covid and kids to start with.

Just wanted to add one thing: our daycare promised lots of great procedures and such that really sold the place. And most days they really do nail it. But every now and then my kid comes home with really bad diaper rash and we wonder how long he was really left in that diaper, or my kid gets bit yet again and I wonder are you really watching them, or so on. But when the teacher is tearing up telling you that she couldn't get there in time before the other little rascal got his chompers on my little guy, you can tell how much they are loved and cared for. And that's what is important. My kids school/daycare messes up sometimes, but it's obvious those teachers love our kids and are so good to them. I don't think it's overreacting to ask why certain procedures weren't followed, but I would also say give it some time and see how it goes. 

Who's worried about covid and kids? 

Why else would temperature checks et al be of any importance?

eta - not that temperature checks are ever anything more than for appearance.  But changing sheets etc?  If you aren't worried about your kid what is the thread about?  I UNDERSTAND VERY CLEARLY WHY YOU MIGHT OVERREACT (been there with the diaper rash etc).. but I think this is overreacting.

The emotion of the first day putting your child in someone else's hands is likely getting the best of both of you.  I wouldn't worry about the temperature checks.  That policy could have simply changed in the amount of time they told you leading up to your first day.  They're inconsequential at this point anyway. 

If you truly want them to use the crib sheets simply mention it to your son's caregiver.  It likely just slipped their mind.  Imagine how much that person has going on throughout their day caring for multiple infants at once.  And, not saying you're one of them, but also constantly dealing with all of those infants' overbearing parents as well.

Oh, I am!  I don't want my unvaccinated kids to get it.  I'm incredibly worried about it.  

Agreed. I meant to say that it's not the issue being discussed here. Sheets and temp checks are just examples of procedures they claimed to follow but ignored on day 1. Whether or not we're scared of covid (I am) is irrelevant...the bigger issue is whether or not to trust a child in the hands of someone who is already forgettin/neglecting to do things they claim would be done every day. There's no way to tell what other things they're failing to do each day. 

As an update, we spoke with the director and found a new place to take him. It's clear that they were having major staffing issues and I feel for them. The teachers were brand new and just being trained on the job with no prior experience. Nooope...Not the place I want my son to be. 

Agreed. I meant to say that it's not the issue being discussed here. Sheets and temp checks are just examples of procedures they claimed to follow but ignored on day 1. Whether or not we're scared of covid (I am) is irrelevant...the bigger issue is whether or not to trust a child in the hands of someone who is already forgettin/neglecting to do things they claim would be done every day. There's no way to tell what other things they're failing to do each day. 

As an update, we spoke with the director and found a new place to take him. It's clear that they were having major staffing issues and I feel for them. The teachers were brand new and just being trained on the job with no prior experience. Nooope...Not the place I want my son to be. 

Totally get it, man.  Daycare is rough all the way around.  Did you guys ever consider going with an in-home nanny?  Not sure what that would cost vs. daycare.  

Totally get it, man.  Daycare is rough all the way around.  Did you guys ever consider going with an in-home nanny?  Not sure what that would cost vs. daycare.  
Being a parent is tough.  You have to be able to trust someone no matter what option you take.  Is there comfort in knowing that more people are involved in the bigger daycares?  At the end of the day, your child is still being 'watched' by someone making like $15/hr.

A lot of the places around here had to fire or furlough the teachers during the worst  of the pandemic. It’s probably the rare place that isn’t dealing with staffing issues right now. 

No big deal in my opinion.

But I've never understood why people worry about covid and kids to start with.
oof.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/coronavirus/article254683892.html

Though 10 Idahoans age 18 to 29 have suffered COVID-19-related deaths, so far no children in the state have died, according to data from the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare.

But COVID-19 cases among children are rising significantly faster than they are in adults, having doubled since mid-August. Infections in children now account for around 20% of new cases, according to Kathryn Turner, the state’s deputy epidemiologist.

At St. Luke’s Children’s in Boise, the number of pediatric patients has increased from an average of around five patients per month to about 20 in September, according to Dr. Kenny Bramwell, system medical director at the hospital.

Since the pandemic began, 225 Idaho children have been hospitalized with COVID-19, and 32 have developed a post-infection illness called multisystem inflammatory syndrome, according to Health and Welfare data. The mysterious condition has been infecting children across the country and usually appears around four weeks after a child has been infected with the coronavirus.

Two of those cases were reported to Idaho’s Health and Welfare this week.

“What I’m worried about is that we have children who may either be asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms right now, but we could be seeing more cases of MIS-C (in the near future),” Turner said in an interview with the Statesman in September. “That’s what’s scary.”

Staffing shortages is an industry problem and national problem at lower paying jobs.  I own a daycare that my daughter runs for me so know firsthand.  People either don’t want to work and have become complacent sitting at home.  Hope you have a better experience at your new daycare and don’t worry about your little guy as kids have the best immune system against covid and are statistically much lower at spreading.  We had 3 cases in our daycare (2 teachers and 1 child) all were contracted outside job and did not spread to anyone. 

oof.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/coronavirus/article254683892.html

Though 10 Idahoans age 18 to 29 have suffered COVID-19-related deaths, so far no children in the state have died, according to data from the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare.

But COVID-19 cases among children are rising significantly faster than they are in adults, having doubled since mid-August. Infections in children now account for around 20% of new cases, according to Kathryn Turner, the state’s deputy epidemiologist.

Since the pandemic began, 225 Idaho children have been hospitalized with COVID-19

Oof is right.

I love these articles.... 0 deaths.  225 kids hospitalized in a year and a half +?  

You read the article and come away with the impression there is some horrible disaster happening with covid and kids.

You read the numbers and say - wait what? :shrug:  

Oof some more:

Compared to adults, the number of pediatric hospital patients with COVID-19 is still small. At the start of September, there were just two at Idaho hospitals.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/coronavirus/article254683892.html#storylink=cpy

Oof is right.

I love these articles.... 0 deaths.  225 kids hospitalized in a year and a half +?  

You read the article and come away with the impression there is some horrible disaster happening with covid and kids.

You read the numbers and say - wait what? :shrug:  

Oof some more:
I read the article and it's rapidly becoming a big issue, when it wasn't before.

You dismiss this like nothings happening and it's becoming a big problem.

Good decision.  Trust your gut.

We fired our first nanny.  After 2 days.   It seemed like at the time we were overreacting. Nope.  She was a wreck, and we ended up finding the perfect person to help with our kids for 2.5 years.   She’s still a part of their lives a decade later.  Zero regrets.

It’s your kid.  Glad you made the choice.

I read the article and it's rapidly becoming a big issue, when it wasn't before.

You dismiss this like nothings happening and it's becoming a big problem.

Yes, you read the article and it spins that impression.

You read the numbers and can only be left wondering how that happened.... correct?

Ie - with numbers from the article, make an argument it is becoming a big problem.

Using the numbers from that article i would wager $ those numbers are somewhere along the lines of kids being hospitalized for falling off the jungle gym or their bikes, or drowning.

Granted I do see parents in our neighborhood not let their kids get on a bike without being dressed for full combat... so maybe these numbers are a big deal to some.

Yes, you read the article and it spins that impression.

You read the numbers and can only be left wondering how that happened.... correct?

Ie - with numbers from the article, make an argument it is becoming a big deal.
Delta spreads twice as fast and has twice the impact.  That's why it's starting to give kids problems.

Just like a few months ago when delta started affecting 30-50 year olds to a much greater degree.

Delta spreads twice as fast and has twice the impact.  That's why it's starting to give kids problems.

Just like a few months ago when delta started affecting 30-50 year olds to a much greater degree.

You are moving goal posts.... I made a simple statement that I am not worried about covid and kids.  You linked an article apparently arguing otherwise.

I'm asking you to show your work with numbers.

Because when I take the editorial/opinion out of it and look at the numbers from the article you linked - I am again left without an ounce of concern.  Or perhaps no more concern than each day my kids go out running around the neighborhood on their bikes.

@Getzlaf15It is fine if you are concerned about your kids and covid.  Some parents are more protective than others.

But numbers aren't going to be a winning source of validation there when it comes to covid.

It is fine if you are concerned about your kids and covid.  Some parents are more protective than others.

But numbers aren't going to be a winning source of validation there when it comes to covid.
I agree.  It’s a massive scare tactic being spread by msm.

If its a group you think would do something like that, you dont need your kid there IMO

Users who are viewing this thread