What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 5 who should I start thread **OFFICIAL** (1 Viewer)

Chaka

Footballguy
This is where we ask questions and offer help.

A couple notes:

1) This only works if people participate. If you ask for help it is good form to offer help to someone else.

2) It helps if you post the matchup. e.g. Josh Jacobs v Chi or Michael Carter @ Atl

3) Of course important league considerations (e.g. PPR, super-flex etc).

ETA: 4) Please go easy on the nicknames guys, save that for other threads. We can't help if we don't know who you are talking about.

View this as an exercise to help focus your thoughts about teams in general. Players you own may not be involved in these WDIS questions but certainly you will own players on many of these teams. Analyzing other players will help you identify things you may have otherwise not considered.

So, let's hear 'em!

Thanks to @Helaire-ious for starting this.

standard scoring, starting Elliott and Ridley, need 2 from this group:

C.Carson @ Rams - normally trustworthy but this past week, yuck

D.Henderson - same game as Carson

C.Patterson vs Jets - don't like starting multiple players from same team but gotta ride the wave for now?

D.Swift @ Vikings - tough to trust after such a bad game, was it a one off?

Also at TE - Kittle @ Cardinals or Knox @ Chiefs

Thanks!

C.Patterson vs Jets - don't like starting multiple players from same team but gotta ride the wave for now?

Thanks!
You have three virtually identical RBs. I could see flip-flopping between all three repeatedly. My gut call, at it is nothing more than that, is Swift. FTR Carson is at home and Henderson is @ Seattle 

I don't like Kittle with the rookie QB, maybe Lance leans on his TE maybe not. We don't really know.

If you're going to ride hot hands Patterson & Knox really look like the guys.

Looking for a new defense this week and the waiver wire is meh.  I have Cin v GB

On the wire:

Chi @ LVR (or LVR v Chi with a rookie QB & Montgomery is out)

GB @ Cin

Ari v SF (another nice matchup and I like defenses with high scoring offenses)

LAC v Cle (I think SD has easily the best defense of the bunch but it's a tough matchup)

Tenn @ Jax

Atl v NYJ (or NYJ @ Atl)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for a new defense this week and the waiver wire is meh.  I have Cin v GB

On the wire:

GB @ Cin

Ari v SF

LAC v Cle (I think SD has easily the best defense of the bunch but it's a tough matchup)

Tenn @ Jax

Atl v NYJ (or NYJ @ Atl)

Chi is the clear winner there for me.  

This is where we ask questions and offer help.

A couple notes:

1) This only works if people participate. If you ask for help it is good form to offer help to someone else.

2) It helps if you post the matchup. e.g. Josh Jacobs v Chi or Michael Carter @ Atl

3) Of course important league considerations (e.g. PPR, super-flex etc).

ETA: 4) Please go easy on the nicknames guys, save that for other threads. We can't help if we don't know who you are talking about.

View this as an exercise to help focus your thoughts about teams in general. Players you own may not be involved in these WDIS questions but certainly you will own players on many of these teams. Analyzing other players will help you identify things you may have otherwise not considered.

So, let's hear 'em!

Thanks to @Helaire-ious for starting this.
Am I a FBG celebrity now? LOL

I have been keeping a running total of how many head-2-head recommendations I made were "correct" according to my league scoring.  I am only tracking either/or cases and not ones where you have to choose one or more players out of a larger list.

After I make my calls I have Excel to randomly pick one of the two players to see if what I recommend is any better/worse than blind ### luck.

Last week I made 34 head-2-head calls in this thread and a mere 15 turned out to be "correct".  The random choice by Excel also got 15 "correct"

The more you know...

Chi is the clear winner there for me.  
That is where I am leaning as well.  They get after the QB and generate turnovers.  The Raiders have a turnstyle offensive line and it will be interesting to see if they respond after such a bad loss last night.

On the wire:

GB @ Cin

Tenn @ Jax

Atl v NYJ (or NYJ @ Atl)
Chi for me

Thanks!
Carson & Patterson

On the wire:

GB @ Cin

Tenn @ Jax

Atl v NYJ (or NYJ @ Atl)

I like the Raiders here against Chicago. 

Thanks!

Henderson and Swift for me. Seahawks defense is terrible and Vikings should score plenty of points in this one so Swift will need to be out there in passing downs. 

TE: Once you go away from Kittle, he is going to have his breakout, but this one is tough. But I like Knox is in this one.

I like the Raiders here against Chicago. 
The Raiders are an interesting option with no Montgomery and Fields. But it was such a shoddy performance last night, the Chargers ran all over them and they may be down 2 DBs in a defensive backfield that is thin to begin with.

I am also not a great fan of Bradley's scheme.  It's fine when you have all pros and pro bowlers all over the defense in Seattle, but it can only disguise so much when the talent isn't there.  The Raiders have a solid defensive line, everything else is thin.

Much as I want to I don't think I can pull the trigger on them this week.

Chaka said:
The Raiders are an interesting option with no Montgomery and Fields. But it was such a shoddy performance last night, the Chargers ran all over them and they may be down 2 DBs in a defensive backfield that is thin to begin with.

I am also not a great fan of Bradley's scheme.  It's fine when you have all pros and pro bowlers all over the defense in Seattle, but it can only disguise so much when the talent isn't there.  The Raiders have a solid defensive line, everything else is thin.

Much as I want to I don't think I can pull the trigger on them this week.

Valid concerns, but offensively Chicago is no LA Chargers. The best thing Chicago had going for them was Montgomery and he is out. If Fields is the starter again, I think it is an absolute no brainer to go with Raiders, if Dalton is there, I still think the Raiders are the play, but would make Chicago a more valid option in this case. The Raiders to me seemed off the entire first half, and that is not the normal Raiders. 2nd half they came out to play and had 2-3 big stops on 3rd downs with Sacks along the way. Their DL is legit and the DB's do enough to give them time for the DL to attack the QB. They aren't like the WFT, where their DL is stacked, but no one else on the team can give them time. 

Chaka said:

On the wire:

GB @ Cin

Tenn @ Jax

Atl v NYJ (or NYJ @ Atl)
Giving a little more thought to Tennessee. They pooped the bed v the Jets and they haven't been a very good d for awhile but some crazy stuff going on in Jacksonville.  

Is there a chance that team quits on Meyer? Or does this turn into a rallying cry?

Deciding between Lance (obviously assuming he starts) vs. Arizona and Lawrence vs. Tennessee as my QB2 in superflex. Allen is my QB1. 

4 pts passing TDs/6 pts rushing TDs; standard yardage; 1 pt/5 completions 

Leaning Lance, although not the easiest matchup and have visions of Fields in his first start a few weeks ago. Lawrence may have turned the corner based on TNF and has a good matchup, but hard to ignore  Lance’s potential upside, and given that the Niners will  likely have to put up points against Arizona.

LionOfGosforth said:

Thanks!
Carson looks banged up and Swift has an uncertain workload - I’d go with Henderson and Patterson. Also Knox over Kittle - ride the hot hand and I am concerned about Kittle with Lance. 

please see mine

Chaka said:

On the wire:

GB @ Cin

Tenn @ Jax

Atl v NYJ (or NYJ @ Atl)
Chargers are looking good on both sides of the ball and Cleveland isn’t exactly an offensive juggernaut. I’d roll with them. 

Deciding between Lance (obviously assuming he starts) vs. Arizona and Lawrence vs. Tennessee as my QB2 in superflex. Allen is my QB1. 

Leaning Lance, although not the easiest matchup and have visions of Fields in his first start a few weeks ago. Lawrence may have turned the corner based on TNF and has a good matchup, but hard to ignore  Lance’s potential upside, and given that the Niners will  likely have to put up points against Arizona.

I would also lean Lance but it's a bit of a gut call really based on not much more than he will probably have to pass to keep up with Murray and Lawrence has lost a deep threat in Chark.

Thanks for answering mine

LionOfGosforth said:

Thanks!
Henderson and Swift.  Tempted by Patterson but the games in England can sometimes be stinkers.

Kittle.  Tough choice but I’m going with “start you stud” 

Lance for the rushing upside and potential shoot out.  

LionOfGosforth said:

Thanks!
I think Carson's injury status probably eliminates him from consideration.

Henderson banged up too and both on short weeks. 

I probably go with Cordarrelle & Swift at this point.

Still like Knox but it's very close.

Lawrence is hardly a seasoned vet and that team is having some serious issues in the locker room.

Lance is a complete unknown, but it looks like your league favors rushing QBs, assuming you get more points per rush/receiving yard than passing yard.

Tough call (I'm considering both the Arizona & Tennessee defenses to stream this week).

I lean Lance because of rushing but not by much.

I think Carson's injury status probably eliminates him from consideration.

Henderson banged up too and both on short weeks. 

I probably go with Cordarrelle & Swift at this point.

Still like Knox but it's very close.

Sorry to piggyback on original question but would you start Collins if he is indeed the starter over Patterson or Swift this week?

Have the following debates. I dont really ask WDIS because I generally like going with my instincts and I like to help others. However, if anyone wants to chime in feel free.

League 1. Im 0-4 and face the other 0-4 team so I am in full desperation mode.

QB: Lance over Dak (obviously assuming JimmyG sits) in a 4 pt passing TD league. Sneaky feeling that NYG-DAL game will be a slugfest. Giants are a tough team regardless of their record and I see lots of rushing for Lance playing in catchup mode

RB: CPat over Perine (obviously assuming Mixon sits, if he plays I'll play Mixon). Regression is coming for CPat just hope it doesnt come this week. Vs the Jets I think hes a safe bets for 10-12 pts in 1/2 PPR

League 2

WR: Waddle (best matchup, they will have to throw all day) over Pittman (tough matchup) over Green (still dont trust him) over Claypool (I want nothing to do with Pitt offense vs Den)

Flex: Moss over Pittman- should be a high scoring affair and he gets red zone looks

Def: Den over Bal- this is a toss up in my mind. I think Den has the better defense and Big Ben has zero mobility.

LionOfGosforth said:

Thanks!
Henderson is an RB1 right now. Benching him is overthinking things

My second choice would be Swift because he is heavily involved in the offense

TE Id go Knox. Kittle will have some blow up games here and there but hes not the stud fantasy TE everyone thinks he is from a few years ago.

Sorry to piggyback on original question but would you start Collins if he is indeed the starter over Patterson or Swift this week?
If you were to start Collins I would probably bench Cordarrelle on the premise that he simply cannot keep up this level of TD efficiency on such low volume.

12.25 targets+carries per game and a TD every 9 touches? That puts him on pace for just over 23 TD. That has to stop, right?  RIGHT!?!?

If Carson is ruled Out then...maybe? :shrug: it could certainly be a high scoring game.

12.25 targets+carries per game and a TD every 9 touches? That puts him on pace for just over 23 TD. That has to stop, right?  RIGHT!?!?
Patterson is a classic sell high in my opinion. Ridley has scored only once and Pitts hasn't even gotten going yet. Can't imagine it will stay this way.

Should I pickup Damien Williams and drop Damien Harris who has been non existent lately.  Both are flex and/or bye week plays for me.

Does Harris still hold the better long term potential in that anemic running attack.

Should I pickup Damien Williams and drop Damien Harris who has been non existent lately.  Both are flex and/or bye week plays for me.

Does Harris still hold the better long term potential in that anemic running attack.
Assuming redraft I think it depends where you are with your team.  If you need help right now then I think you have to pick up Williams.  If you are talking about an end of bench guy or a possible flex but you have other options it gets a little dicier.

I have no idea what happened with Harris over the last two games but 10 carries + 4 targets is not good. Both teams are in similar situations with rookie QBs but I trust Chicago to feed their #1 RB a lot more  than New England.  I personally picked up Williams and have him in my lineup over Sermon, Javonte & Zack Moss and I don't see that changing before Sunday.

The following weeks look a little tougher v GB, @TB, vSF & @Pitt but he still has flex potential depending on your roster.

Personally I think NE makes an effort to feed their running game in the short term but I could see it going back and forth all season between high usage and almost zero usage for Harris. It's pretty much always been that way in New England.

Have the following debates. I dont really ask WDIS because I generally like going with my instincts and I like to help others. However, if anyone wants to chime in feel free.

League 1. Im 0-4 and face the other 0-4 team so I am in full desperation mode.

QB: Lance over Dak (obviously assuming JimmyG sits) in a 4 pt passing TD league. Sneaky feeling that NYG-DAL game will be a slugfest. Giants are a tough team regardless of their record and I see lots of rushing for Lance playing in catchup mode

RB: CPat over Perine (obviously assuming Mixon sits, if he plays I'll play Mixon). Regression is coming for CPat just hope it doesnt come this week. Vs the Jets I think hes a safe bets for 10-12 pts in 1/2 PPR

League 2

WR: Waddle (best matchup, they will have to throw all day) over Pittman (tough matchup) over Green (still dont trust him) over Claypool (I want nothing to do with Pitt offense vs Den)

Flex: Moss over Pittman- should be a high scoring affair and he gets red zone looks

Def: Den over Bal- this is a toss up in my mind. I think Den has the better defense and Big Ben has zero mobility.
Lance over Dak feels like overthinking. Dak is one of the top QBs both fantasy and IRL. I wouldn't bench him for a rookie starting his first game on the road.

Patterson will come back to earth, possibly as soon as this week.  But isn't Perine JAG? I don't have much faith in him receiving the same workload as Mixon did, which puts him close to the same usage as Patterson gets every week (12 touches).

Pittman does have a tough matchup but he's the clear #1 target on his team. He gets 9 looks a game and the Rams were every bit the tough matchup and he did fine. Agree about Claypool but Green is starting to convince me. Waddle doesn't interest me too much.

I like Zack Moss but I worry that he is more of a closer than anything. I haven't studied the touch distribution by quarter but he has been part of three blowouts, I worry about his role in highly competitive games. I am very much on the fence about this choice but I probably go with Moss too.

My biggest concern about Denver is how bad their first three opponents were.  They could be a mirage. The Giants can play offense but I don't think this is the same Giants team that we saw in week one. I like them much better if Bridgewater plays, I don't believe he practiced today.  Baltimore also has a solid defense with an iffy opponent, plus they are home in primetime.  This is a close one but I think, bad as Pittsburgh looks, I go with Baltimore.

Kind of a "who do I start week 5 and beyond" question for a 12 team redraft, non-ppr, with extremely short benches:

Have to drop Logan Thomas.  Pick up Pitts for Week 5, knowing I have to make another move in Week 6 to cover TE?  Or pick up Gesicki who I can start for the foreseeable future unless he stinks?

Pick one from each, .5 PPR:

• Corey Davis or Cordarrelle Patterson or Antonio Brown
  • A Damien-off: D. Harris or D. Williams (could also put Patterson here)
  • George Kittle or Dalton Shultz

Anyone with an opinion between James Robinson and Darrell Henderson this week?
This is a tough one because what the heck is going on in Jacksonville?!?!  

Henderson doesn't have an injury designation and should get a good workload against an opponent vulnerable to the run. The downsides are it's a short week, they are on the road and there are a lot of mouths to feed in StL.

Robinson should be a no brainer here. He is coming off two great weeks, he is getting volume and Tennessee does not field a strong defense.  Everything is in place for him to have a good game.  But is this team going to quit on Urban Meyer? Of course it wouldn't be intentional but if they don't respect the guy they are far more likely not to ball for him.

Still I lean towards Robinson. I think he is a better talent, gets better usage, has a better matchup etc.

Kind of a "who do I start week 5 and beyond" question for a 12 team redraft, non-ppr, with extremely short benches:

Have to drop Logan Thomas.  Pick up Pitts for Week 5, knowing I have to make another move in Week 6 to cover TE?  Or pick up Gesicki who I can start for the foreseeable future unless he stinks?
I think most Pitts owners are disappointed with his production.  We see he is getting opportunities but they aren't turning into much.  At some point Cordarrelle is going to stop being such a TD machine but will that translate to Pitts or will most of that correction shift to Cordarrelle.

At this point it is fair not to trust Pitts and go with a more proven commodity like Gesicki.  I still like Pitts as a talent and think he will come around this season but I would hold off on him until after the bye week.

Gesicki

First one, I'd go AB. Although I went AB over CPat last week and it cost me a win

Williams catches passes so I'd go with him in a decent matchup over the other 2

Kittle for me but it's real close

First one, I'd go AB. Although I went AB over CPat last week and it cost me a win

Williams catches passes so I'd go with him in a decent matchup over the other 2

Kittle for me but it's real close
Thanks. These are all coin flips to me...I have guessed wrong all season it's comical how wrong I have been each week. It's got me rattled!

Cordarrelle is going to cool off at some point. Antonio is going to have more big games although good luck figuring out when. And, darnit, Davis, despite everything wrong with the Jets keeps producing.

Still Cordarrelle is averaging about 12 touches/game, it's difficult to go away from that right now.

It's close for me but Cordarrelle>Davis>Brown  And I might still go with Davis on Sunday based on the premise that Patterson cannot keep up his 23 TD pace.

I'd add Pitts. Gesicki is way too inconsistent for my liking. I think Pitts will come around 

Thanks. These are all coin flips to me...I have guessed wrong all season it's comical how wrong I have been each week. It's got me rattled!
Yeah it always seems like we make the wrong decision but I usually don't beat myself up about it if it was the right logical decision and go with my first instinct.

I like Damien Williams this week for sure. They both have plus matchups but, barring an injury setback for Williams, I am more comfortable that he will get volume. What's going on with Harris the past two weeks?  The Pats should correct, emphasis on should.

Right now Shultz is really playing well and he has one of the best QBs IRL & fantasy. Kittle is getting nice volume but they aren't really connecting yet in SF and the QB situation is murky at best.

Yeah it always seems like we make the wrong decision but I usually don't beat myself up about it if it was the right logical decision and go with my first instinct.
Yup. Coin flips should balance out over the season and I have guessed wrong every week on my 50/50 calls and lost 2 weeks because of it so I am due. The problem is this week I have like 3 on my squad, so I have more chances to mess up  :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread