What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should employers require their workers be COVID vaccinated or be fired? (1 Viewer)

Should employers mandate their workers be COVID vaccinated or be fired? Allowances made for medical

• Yes

Votes: 40 53.3%
  • No

Votes: 35 46.7%

• Total voters

JAA

Footballguy
Please don't get into the weeds here, the intent of the question is very straight forward.

Should employers mandate their workers be COVID vaccinated?  Allowances made for medical and "strongly held religious" beliefs.  For those who meet the exceptions, they are required to be masked at all times unless eating.

Consider this question as if you owned or led the business.  You were in charge and you had to make the choice on this topic.  Do you require all of your employees to get vaccinated.  When it comes down to brass tacks, are you willing to fire employees who are willing to mask-up but not get the vax?  What if it impacted your business?  For additional context consider that your company already has an ~90% vax rate.

Also note this is not a question of legality.  This is a pure question of "should", not "could".

I voted no. 

I would offer $3000 to every employee that got  vaccinated.  $1000 month for 3 months. 

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
I voted no. 

I would offer $3000 to every employee that got  vaccinated.  $1000 month for 3 months. 
How would you sell that to the employees who already got vaccinated but didnt get paid to do so?

Voted yes but it really depends on various factors as others have pointed out. I would require it if I were the employer so that's why I voted yes. The paid bonus angle seems reasonable to me as well.

• Thanks
The evidence from New York with teachers and hospital workers makes it pretty clear that most holdouts will get vaccinated if their job is threatened.

Voted no

And what does mandate mean? Are they mandated to get boosters every 6 months (or whatever the recommendation will end up being?)
Assume the mandates would be consistent with ACIP recommendations, i.e. boost as often as deemed medically appropriate.

Would your vote change if it was one and done?

As to the OP, I voted yes. Once the vaccines are approved for kids, expand the mandate to school-aged children.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is obviously the correct answer, but I voted yes because I think this would encompass a pretty significant segment of the labor force, cutting across class and demographic lines.
I also voted yes for the same reason.  I think the majority of the workforce should be mandated, but it should be at the discretion of the employer. Then the employee can seek to negotiate or seek other employment. 

Coercive leadership will get immediate results, but it also leads to diminishing trust, morale, innovation and retention. This mandate is damaging the culture of these institutions. 
You know what else kills morale? Quarantining entire departments or coworkers dropping dead of covid. I didn’t have to force a mandate because everyone got vaccinated voluntarily. But there were a lot of employees asking me to implement one. 

You know what else kills morale? Quarantining entire departments or coworkers dropping dead of covid. I didn’t have to force a mandate because everyone got vaccinated voluntarily. But there were a lot of employees asking me to implement one. 
Does vaccinating stop your company from having to quarantine? 

Coercive leadership will get immediate results, but it also leads to diminishing trust, morale, innovation and retention. This mandate is damaging the culture of these institutions. 
You know what else damages institutions? Customers who are unhappy with dealing with unsafe staff who represent said institutions. Whether it be the chin diaper look or unvaxxed workers, they drive me away from doing business with you. Mandate your staff be vaccinated and I'm more likely to give you my business as I'll feel safer in doing so.

Companies should do as they please.  If the employee doesn't like the rules, they're welcome to leave.  

It sounds like Biden is going to find businesses with over 100 workers that don't have 100% vaccination.  If the company is comfortable losing the money to the fines--power to them.  If they decide that they're going to make you get the shots so they don't have to pay those fines--power to them.

• Thanks
Does vaccinating stop your company from having to quarantine? 
Yes, because since then, and with continued masking and thoughtful meeting size we have had zero cases of COVID, even when cases in the building or at kids' schools have ticked up.  

• Thanks
Companies should do as they please.  If the employee doesn't like the rules, they're welcome to leave.  

It sounds like Biden is going to find businesses with over 100 workers that don't have 100% vaccination.  If the company is comfortable losing the money to the fines--power to them.  If they decide that they're going to make you get the shots so they don't have to pay those fines--power to them.
Depends on the size of the fine. With how hard it is to find workers, some will take the fine option.

Sure let's try that and then have 40% or more of the country on unemployment.  Then the vaccinated folks to can work, get taxed a lot more, and give the money to the unemployed unvaccinated folks.  Sounds like a brilliant plan. 

Sure let's try that and then have 40% or more of the country on unemployment.  Then the vaccinated folks to can work, get taxed a lot more, and give the money to the unemployed unvaccinated folks.  Sounds like a brilliant plan. 
78% of the 18+ population is vaccinated. Where is your 40% or more coming from?

This is not a simple yes or no question.  Way too much nuance.  Cannot vote. 

• Thanks
Well, I don't think all employers should mandate vaccines, but for the ones that do - if someone chooses not to comply they shouldn't qualify for UE.  

Well, I don't think all employers should mandate vaccines, but for the ones that do - if someone chooses not to comply they shouldn't qualify for UE.  
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Now we are going to use private business to vaccinations and if someone doesn't comply they not only lose their job but don't qualify for unemployment?   But the bum who lives on the street and has no desire to work can collect government checks all day long?  Some of you are freaking crazy with your solutions

Max may have the correct # in 67%.

But what the hell does herd immunity have to do with you claiming that 40% will be unemployment?
If 33% of the workforce is fired because they won't take the vaccination then 33% will be unemployment.  Is it really that hard to connect the dots?

Yes, they should.

Why are you in business? To own the libs? To make a political statement?

The business I work for is in business to be profitable, and I am here to maintain that business, and increase profit where I am able. 

I don't want management futzing around with making sure employees are getting tested. It's a massive waste of time. Not being vaccinated creates MORE work for management. That doesn't work for me. 

I need management focused on growth, and if they are herding stupid cats, I can either wait for this to play itself out, or I can only hire the vaccinated, and my team can focus on the business at hand. 

Why are we worried about unemployment? 

If someone won't hire an unvaccinated dingbat, there are plenty of Freedom Patriots that will hire them. 

My employer mandates full vaccinations for anyone working in the office.  People working from home are encouraged to be vaccinated but not mandated, however they are unable to go into any of our offices.

Why are we worried about unemployment? 

If someone won't hire an unvaccinated dingbat, there are plenty of Freedom Patriots that will hire them. 

There are currently labor shortages in a lot of areas that I would say are pretty important, like schools and hospitals.  Firing people en masse from these locations would have lots of negative consequences for the people they serve.  If all the vaccine-hesitant people stood their ground and got fired, it would create a lot of problems that could exceed the problems from having them continue to work while unvaccinated.  I don't think we should totally ignore that concern.

Fortunately, the early evidence suggests that most vaccine-hesitant people will get the shot if they're about to get fired.  So that does make me more comfortable imposing the policy on people.  I would consider the policy a success if it results in a lot of additional people getting vaccinated and only a small number of people getting fired. 

There are currently labor shortages in a lot of areas that I would say are pretty important, like schools and hospitals.  Firing people en masse from these locations would have lots of negative consequences for the people they serve.  If all the vaccine-hesitant people stood their ground and got fired, it would create a lot of problems that could exceed the problems from having them continue to work while unvaccinated.  I don't think we should totally ignore that concern.

Fortunately, the early evidence suggests that most vaccine-hesitant people will get the shot if they're about to get fired.  So that does make me more comfortable imposing the policy on people.  I would consider the policy a success if it results in a lot of additional people getting vaccinated and only a small number of people getting fired. 
I didn't suggest firing anyone. 

I am not considering hiring anyone who isn't vaccinated. 

Please don't get into the weeds here, the intent of the question is very straight forward.

Should employers mandate their workers be COVID vaccinated?  Allowances made for medical and "strongly held religious" beliefs.  For those who meet the exceptions, they are required to be masked at all times unless eating.

Consider this question as if you owned or led the business.  You were in charge and you had to make the choice on this topic.  Do you require all of your employees to get vaccinated.  When it comes down to brass tacks, are you willing to fire employees who are willing to mask-up but not get the vax?  What if it impacted your business?  For additional context consider that your company already has an ~90% vax rate.

Also note this is not a question of legality.  This is a pure question of "should", not "could".
Should they be allowed to require - yes

Should they require "just because its good" - I don't think so but their call.

Should they require if the business situation warrants it - I think so but their call

I didn't suggest firing anyone. 

I am not considering hiring anyone who isn't vaccinated. 

It's sort of the same idea.  If there aren't enough vaccinated people willing to be be teachers at current salaries, then we either need to: 1) raise teacher salaries to attract new vaccinated people to the profession; or 2) let the unvaccinated teachers teach; or 3) have like 50 students in a classroom.

I would be a fan of #1 but it doesn't seem very politically feasible in the short term.  If forced to choose between #2 and #3, I would pick #2.

• Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread