What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MLB Playoffs - The FFA edition (1 Viewer)

The General

Footballguy
Yanks - Boston first up

Playoff weather in Boston. Cole just got run in the 3rd…Sawks trying to put the Yankees down early.

I haven't seen a baseball game on TV or in-person in a while. Glad to see the Eric Gregg strike zone is gone. I did see the 2003 extra inning world series victory in game  4 when SS Alex Gonzalez hit an extra inning HR to tie the series at 2-2. Clemens started the game and Miguel Cabrera was a Marlin. The most exciting baseball game I've attended.

Seems like a Boston/Tampa series will be more interesting anyway. Cole didn’t have it tonight and they didn’t play all that well in the second half. Wish Jays would have played tonight, they might have gone all the way. 

Seems like a Boston/Tampa series will be more interesting anyway. Cole didn’t have it tonight and they didn’t play all that well in the second half. Wish Jays would have played tonight, they might have gone all the way. 
Feels to me like the Jays were like the third-best team in the AL at the end of the year. Missing them is a huge bonus for the Rays. I think they take care of the Sox. 

Last I heard, Astros were faves to win NL. Seems weird, but I guess BOS facing TB lowers both their odds

Get used to it.  This is playoff baseball.  Coaches over coach and burn their bullpen way early.  The affects will show up in long series as offenses get to see relievers multiple times over a short period.  

From what I've seen it's become the in thing to not let a started face a guy a third time.  Not saying I agree with it but it's just how a lot of them do things now.

Not to an old school 'stros fan. AL is still strange.

Was talking to somebody the other day when the Braves won the NL East - they have the most all time but like 3rd is the Pirates or something.  It's still weird to me - Braves started in NL West after they moved from Milwaukee and then with the expansion and changes they were going to go I think to the central but Pirates were willing to move so the Braves could have the rivalry with the Marlins.  I think I have all that correct but the basic premise is for long-time baseball guys it's all kind of weird for a lot of teams.  I think of the Brewers as AL and Astros as NL.

From what I've seen it's become the in thing to not let a started face a guy a third time.  Not saying I agree with it but it's just how a lot of them do things now.
It is even worse in the playoffs.  There is evidence that starters lose effectiveness the third time through the lineup but that is based on generic data across all starting pitchers so over the long haul this has merit.  In playoffs there are other things at play and it shouldn't be used as gospel yet many managers to because the stats say so.  Those type of stats work well over the course of a 162 game season where its just a long haul and not every pitch matters.  You also aren't playing a 7 game series against a specific team where your bullpen gets seen many times over a short period of time (7 games).  

Most of the reason that relievers are the most effective is because they aren't seen a lot by specific batters.  If they get used once or twice over the course of a four game regular season series they aren't likely seeing the same batters and it's mixed into the gruel of the regular season.  When managers go to the pen too early in the playoffs every game the relievers lose that lack of familiarity and by game 6 or 7 the offense gains the advantage back.  

Mangers need to have some feel for a specific game in the playoffs and let starters go longer than normal (especially early in a series) if they are effective (think Snell in the WS - he was dominate and taking him out gave the Dodgers life).    Sometimes a starter is on and completely demoralizing the other team.  Taking them out breathes life in the other offense.  Mangers need to be able to see that.  It's a big flaw in the 100% stat driven decision making.  Stats are based on long haul not one game specific.  Managers need to see that there is a difference and be able to make that "gut" feel move in the moment.  

If Wainwright beats the Dodgers tonight we will see a Brewers - TB World Series!

The "lowest rated WS ratings" articles will write themselves.  

Users who are viewing this thread