What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots Trade Stephon Gilmore to Panthers (1 Viewer)

Feel bad about how that played out but not much to be said except thank you for the good years and good luck at your next stop i hope he's healthy and still able to play at a high level. 

Looking forward to hearing from the Currans of the world as to why this happened because unless the injury is that bad this doesn't seem to make sense...you should have been able to get something for him...maybe not as much as you would like due to his probable contract demands but to let him walk for zero seems like a bad move unless this opens the door to add O line help or another WR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to hearing from the Currans of the world as to why this happened because unless the injury is that bad this doesn't seem to make sense...you should have been able to get something for him...maybe not as much as you would like due to his probable contract demands but to let him walk for zero seems like a bad move unless this opens the door to add O line help or another WR.
Rumored that they will ship him today and try to get a Day 3 draft pick if they can. Said to take the money to sign Collins. 

I would think the 49ers will be in the mix too

In GB he makes that defense instantly a difference maker.  They already have a great dline

The Chargers and Seahawks could both use CB help, and have a bunch of cap space. 

Tampa just seems too much like just wishful thinking to me. They just signed Sherman, and Dean and Murphy-Bunting should both be back eventually. 

Packers make some sense. I don't think KC has the money, unless Gilmore is taking a small contract, which is unlikely as that was most of his problem in NE.

My 2 cents:

Could be wrong, but been obvious for some time now he was "almost certainly" doing an in house hold out (faux inj ) and wanted new contract else he sits and protects himself for next yr and his last contract.

Myself and others hoped they would offer and he would be happy with a ~5mil salary bump for this year and figured there was no way NE would go higher (maybe not even that high). I am interested to find out if they offered him something and it wasn't enough or if they didn't offer anything. Either way we have known for many months he wouldn't be here next yr so this scenario has been a fait accompli for a while now.

It would be a shame with all the money they had and spent (on questionable talent imho) if they didn't offer him a solid one year bump.  If they offered him the bump and he turned it down so be it, I don't blame them at all for not wanting to guarantee him a huge pile of money for future years. I thought there was a good chance he would get traded and was hoping it would be Tampa. Pretty surprising if they couldn't find a trade partner to at least give them something.

TB and KC seem like spots that would fit need wise and his desire to be high profile. But they both have under $4M in cap space left. 

My first thought was TB as well - but would you really want a multi year deal there?  Expecting he doesn't just sign for remainder of this year.  GB out with Rodgers uncertainty.

Better options for multi year deal and shot at SB win:  KC, Balt, Dal, Buf

All of this is without cap considerations

Multi year deal would rule out GB for cap reasons (unless they somehow convince Rodgers to restructure and stay to help make cap space to make such a move).  I don't see that happening.

Only way to come to GB is a one year thing...supposedly he is on the list of teams he said he would be interested in (according to Breer)

Carolina have $19 MM in cap space and a huge need at CB with JayCee Horn out. Gilmore is also from the area so it would be a homecoming. Gotta figure this is the most likely destination, IF he actually gets released today, rather than traded.
This makes a lot of sense. 

Anyone think that Gilmore would be leaving if Brady was still in NE? Whole different world for NE now without Brady. Players aren’t going to stick around or take smaller deals to play there anymore IMO.

Huge get for the Panthers if he's healthy. That D is absolutely loaded for end-of-season if Horn returns to full health by then.

Anyone think that Gilmore would be leaving if Brady was still in NE? Whole different world for NE now without Brady. Players aren’t going to stick around or take smaller deals to play there anymore IMO.
True it is different now for sure, but Brady or no Brady, for Gilmore it has obviously been about the money and his last contract. It is his right to protect himself for next year and it is NEs right to expect him to play for the 60mil or so they had already paid him. Wish they could have kept him for this yr but glad they didn't give him a boatload of guaranteed money to stay.

A little surprising. I guess not stunning. would have expected more like a 4th? But the prices are what they are.

FWIW as a fan, the run D was has been (so far) more troubling than the secondary without Gilmore so whatever. Don't think the Pats are on a trajectory for a deep run this year so not sure anything other than gelling and making it interesting is in the cards this year. Get what you can and move on from the player. 

Still, a 6th rounder? Sheesh.

Gilmore wanted to be paid. It will be interesting to see what the Panthers do with him. It was rumored his starting off point was 3 years, $51 million (or more per year if a shorter term deal). NE was in a pinch. Gilmore was only due $7M in salary but carried a cap hit $10M more than that because of prior reworking of his deal. Since this is the last year of his contract, NE wanted him to reduce his cap number while SG want a lot guaranteed and future years. I don't think Brady had anything to do with this . . . not even a little bit.

Man a cheap price...disappointing as a Packers fan...but with our history never really got all that hyped that they would actually pull it off.

Thrilled he isn’t going to Green Bay or Kansas City or something like that, as a Bucs fan. Carolina isn’t a real contender. 

Does he make the Panthers DST an every week start?
As just posted, certainly not the next two weeks (not eligible to play). There has been talk in NE that he still isn't healthy and that's one of the reasons the Patriots didn't budge in terms of giving him more money or a new contract. He can be taken off the PUP list Week 7 at the earliest or Week 9 at the latest (at which point he could be moved to IR if not placed on the main roster).

Carolina isn’t a real contender. 

I only agree with this if Darnold turns back into a pumpkin. He might.

Otherwise, they now have a sleeping dragon if the threesome of McCaffrey, Horn and Gillmore return to full health later this season. And if Darnold has indeed recovered from his case of the Gase, then the sky is the limit for these guys.

I only agree with this if Darnold turns back into a pumpkin. He might.

Otherwise, they now have a sleeping dragon if the threesome of McCaffrey, Horn and Gillmore return to full health later this season. And if Darnold has indeed recovered from his case of the Gase, then the sky is the limit for these guys.
They’re a playoff team maybe, but nowhere near the level of the Packers, Chiefs, and a few others. As a Bucs fan that’s all I care about this year. Absolutely thrilled he didn’t end up in Green Bay, that front office is clueless. 

They’re a playoff team maybe, but nowhere near the level of the Packers, Chiefs, and a few others. As a Bucs fan that’s all I care about this year. Absolutely thrilled he didn’t end up in Green Bay, that front office is clueless. 
GB went after him...absorbing his contract seems where there was a sticking point on how much cap space they have vs how much it would take (and what other restructuring was needed).  Rumor seems to be they were the ones who would have signed him immediately if he was released.  NE wasn't getting the offers even after Gilmore backed off of needing a new deal to be traded even.  NE then leaks GB is going to sign him (maybe they were...maybe not)...generates a little more interest and Carolina with the better cap position pounced.

https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1445809417442656262?s=20

Small little 3 string thread here.

Their D seems leaps better than GB/KC, and their running game with McCaffrey makes their offense good enough to make noise, with the X factor, both to the up and downsides, being Darnold IMO. Just checked the schedule and they play the Bucs twice in the final three weeks. Could be interesting for the division and the conference.

Users who are viewing this thread