What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dog guys need some help.... (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
Long story short.  7 years ago this dog was my MiL and lived with us for a few months. MiL goes back to her father's house, passes away. The father (wife's grandfather) passed away last week.  

My SiL and wife bring dog home from Puerto Rico.  Dog will be staying with SiL but staying with us tonight due to acclimation issues with her other dog.   Dog is about 9-10 years old.

I've been around dogs my whole life, but haven't owned one in my house,  my parents and sister have one so I'm around them all the time, same with growing up, just not here

I know she's been through a lot with travel and all.

Here is my issue.....  She won't stop panting, I mean it's non stop.  Has drank water. Other than that seems to be in good spirits....

Is this normal for dogs in a new environment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be stress from the new environment 
That was my thought. 

Excitement or Stress

Panting may have nothing to do with body temperature. Many dogs will pant when they experience fear, anxiety, or stress.2 Examples include car rides, fireworks, separation anxiety, vet visits, and other stressful events. Look at your dog's body language to help you determine if your dog is showing signs of fear or any other type of distress. Understanding the cause of fear or anxiety in your dog can help you minimize these incidents. If panting seems to be related to fear, anxiety or stress, it's best to remove your dog from the situation as soon as you can.

We had an American bulldog who would get like this. Try to keep it cool for them (lower AC) with some comfy bedding.  Unfortunately, you sort of have to let them relax on their own.

dogs try different tricks to calm themselves down when stressed, including panting or yawning a lot. I wouldn't worry too much about it. just make sure she has food and water available, and maybe see if she wants to go for a walk to sniff out the neighborhood, which will also help to calm her down.

Thanks all. She's laying down now next to me. It's a shame, we would take her but we travel every weekend for the next 5 weeks so we definitely are not around enough to be raising this dog right now. If things don't work out at SiL house we will have to make it work but my wife is not a dog person at all.   And I don't want to have to put her in a kennel every weekend since she's just been through a lot.

If you have any of the bedding she came with, that might help.  (It would smell like her territory.)

A emergency vet might be able to prescribe some medication for the short term.

Or Dog TV, if you have it?

She's a cutie and she's super stressed out.  She's moved to a new place, full of strangers, she lost her human, all this stuff happened to her at once and she's having a rough go of it. Hell I pant if someone moves my beer off the countertop! :)

it’s stress, the pup needs head rubs and small treats to calm down. think a 5 foot putt with right to left break down hill for the best round of your life and times it by 5 and that’s what the dog is going through. 

Make no mistake, I love the pup, it's just a huge undertaking at the moment. Luckily she is calm, older and trained

If she starts panting or gets stressed, etc, CBD for animals really has a calming effect on the pets I've encountered.   Definitely something I'd look into. 

Long story short.  7 years ago this dog was my MiL and lived with us for a few months. MiL goes back to her father's house, passes away. The father (wife's grandfather) passed away last week.  

My SiL and wife bring dog home from Puerto Rico.  Dog will be staying with SiL but staying with us tonight due to acclimation issues with her other dog.   Dog is about 9-10 years old.

I've been around dogs my whole life, but haven't owned one in my house,  my parents and sister have one so I'm around them all the time, same with growing up, just not here

I know she's been through a lot with travel and all.

Here is my issue.....  She won't stop panting, I mean it's non stop.  Has drank water. Other than that seems to be in good spirits....

Is this normal for dogs in a new environment?
My dog pants almost constantly.  Originally thought he had a condition called Laryngeal Paralysis but the vet now thinks it's not a lock that's the case, could be a heart murmur causing it etc.  One thing for certain, it got worse with age and he's 12 now.  But yes a new environment and anxiety would make this much worse.  Dogs are often creatures of habit and uprooting an older dog is a tough thing for her.  I'm sure she misses your MIL and is very uncertain.  Awesome update though :)

Users who are viewing this thread