What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would you do in this hypothetical situation? (1 Viewer)

WWYD?

• Sell both boxes for a total of $40,000

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • Sell one box for $20,000 and hold on to the other one

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Hold on to both boxes

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters

Willie Neslon

Footballguy
A mysterious old man hands you two boxes. He says "At this moment, each box is worth $20,000. You can decide to cash one or both of them in right now and I'll give you $20,000 for one or $40,000 for the both. You also have the option of not cashing in one or both in which case I will return some time in the not so distant future with a new and unique offer for each box that you still possess. For example, if you held on to both there is a chance my future offer will be something like $2,000 for one box and $4,000 for the other. Maybe I will offer close to the same amount I am offering now. There is a small chance I may offer you $100,000 for one of them and maybe even more, or less, for the other. There is even a much smaller chance I will offer you a million dollars or more for the right box. I'm not exactly sure what I will offer when I return but right now I'll give you $20,000 for one or $40,000 for the both. You can sell one and hold one if you like, or sell both, or hold both."

- Assume that it is 100% definite that the man will return and make another offer if you do not sell now.

- If you hold one or both boxes the lowest offer the man will make upon returning is $1,000 per box.

- Both boxes are worth exactly the same amount right now but once the man leaves the prices of each box could fluctuate greatly. If you cash one box right now in you may be cashing in the box that could have wildly increased in value upon the man's return.

- You can not look inside the boxes unless you decide to hold on to them. After the man leaves you can open them and see what is inside. At that time you may or may not see something valuable inside (and thus be able to anticipate what the man's offer will be when he returns).

WWYD?

Holding. While $40K is a large amount of money, its not life changing for me (LOOK AT ME. I MAKE A PRETTY GOOD LIVING ). I'd just put it in the bank and keep on living exactly as I am now.

So while it would be a bummer to lose out on $38K, the chance of making a million (which WOULD be life changing) is worth it to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holding. While $40K is a large amount of money, its not life changing for me (LOOK AT ME. I MAKE A PRETTY GOOD LIVING ). I'd just put it in the bank and keep on living exactly as I am now.

So while it would be a bummer to lose out on $38K, the chance of making a million (which WOULD be life changing) is worth it to me.
Careful. This is exactly the pitch used on my wife to try and convince her to open an ETSY store and sell essential oils.

Door number 2.  Could use an extra $20K.  An additional extra $20K would help but not make a big difference in my day to day, so I’d be willing to gamble on a big payday 

also realize I just put up the math nerd symbol for someone  to tell me the +EV play is to take the $40K because invested in [bitcoin, Amazon, mutual funds, cobalt, etc] would pay back over $1M in X Years…

Dude wasn't clear on what would make his offer go up or down.  It's not like "if so so technology takes off, my offer will most likely be quite a bit higher". I don't like this guy. I bet he uses steak sauce.

Take the $40k.

I would smoke some weed, put some Goldenplane on the stereo, and throw some cornhole.

Two bags in the hand on a chill evening means more than 40k in pretend money.

Trying to decide whether to sell half of your bitcoin, the entire bitcoin, or to hold onto it, I see. 

Within knowing the actual odds to calculate the rational choice I’m taking the guaranteed money. 

Users who are viewing this thread