What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Short-term IDP production (1 Viewer)

trader jake

Footballguy
Wanted to start a thread where IDP GMs could go to quickly find some cheap, short-term IDP production in-season.  Most likely as a result of injuries to starters, but also possible due to slight changes in defensive schemes or a specific weekly matchup.

The players mentioned would ideally be widely available on most waiver wires or on the benches of teams in really deep leagues.  If injuries, bye weeks, or general IDP desperation has led you to this thread...I'm hopeful the community here can point out some overlooked gems.

Recent example: the injury to MIN LB Anthony Barr a few weeks ago opened the door for Nick Vigil.  He produced short-term (and maybe longer?).  In a few leagues I'm now starting these players:

SEA DE Darrell Taylor - He was widely available a few weeks ago, but would have been a good player to previously list (probably a bit late now and they played Thursday) but exactly the type of player I'd hope someone would mention here.

DAL DE Randy Gregory - All the talent in the world, but there is no floor when starting him.

IND DE Muhammad Al-Quadin - Mystery box player with some snaps.

NYG LB Tae Crowder - Opportunity due to Blake Martinez injury.  Anything to see other than that?

NYJ LB Quincy Williams - Guided missile, but will he continue to get snaps for the Jets or will his pass coverage skills sink him?

DET LB Alex Anzalone / Derrick Barnes - Vet v rook). Both have some upside now that Jamie Collins has been cut.  Anzalone until he suffers his yearly injury and Barnes as a kid learning the ropes.

LAC LB Drive Tranquill - He appears to be getting increased snaps again, does it matter?

BUF LB AJ Klein - With Matt Milano dinged up, he could be a one week fill-in if you're super desperate.

DAL CB Anthony Brown - Producing across from Diggs, should continue to see targets his way.

KC S Daniel Sorensen - Love the matchup against the Bills passing game this week.  Ditto with Honeybadger because he don't give a ####.   Like the GMs in this thread looking for anything that could work IDP wise. :)

The SEA D-Line has been difficult to figure out for a couple of years now.  I grabbed Taylor in a league where I had space for him.  Hard to say what his value will be long-term, but I read enough positive comments about him to warrant the move.  

I agree with your thoughts on Gregory..... stashed him in a few leagues.  The DAL defense in general seems to be making more big plays this year.  I just don't know if he's somebody I can trust weekly, but how many truly dependable DL starters are there these days?  Certainly not enough, so I'll take the upside.

Al-Quadin is this year's "scoring consistently until I grab him in several leagues, at which point he does nothing" player for me.  There are always a couple of those head-scratchers.  Maybe he'll bounce back tonight.

Crowder is somebody to keep an eye on.  Stash him if you have space, just in case.  Probably gone already, other than in shallow leagues.

Quincy is frustrating to me.  Drafted him in almost all of my dynasty leagues, held him on taxi squads for as long as I could, then dropped him almost everywhere after he did nothing for the first couple of years.  Now, he's a beast in NYJ.  From what I've read, the coaching staff is very high on him, so there may be more there than just temporary production.  We'll see.  I did manage to reacquire him in a league or two.

I drafted Barnes in a few leagues this year.  Interested to see how the rest of this season plays out, with Collins gone.

I have a few shares of Tranquill and Kyzer White here and there.  Start them while you can, but your guess is as good as mine as to how long it will last.  I guess as long as Murray is shelved?

With Diggs becoming an absolute stud, Brown should put up solid numbers for as long as he plays.  That is, until DAL finds a better alternative.  He's the epitome of a not very good player (relatively speaking) which makes him a FF stud, at least in the short-term.

Sorensen is a guy who I love to have as depth, but counting on him weekly can be risky.  He'll throw up a dud week now and then, but the upside weeks make him worth having.

A few others, off the top of my head....

Michael Danna KC DE - Putting up decent numbers in the absence of Clark.

Everson Griffin MIN DE - Appears to be back to regular production.  Four sacks in the last three games.

David Long TEN LB - Jayon Brown continues to be dinged up, it appears.  Solid snap count four weeks in a row, and a huge game yesterday.

Alec Ogletree CHI LB - Filling in for Trevathan.

Azeez Al-Shaair SF LB - Off week this week, but had a couple of good weeks in a row after Greenlaw went down.

Dane Cruikshank TEN S - With Hooker and McDougald out the past three weeks, he's putting up solid numbers.

DJ Reed SEA CB - Four solid games through five weeks.

Darious Williams LAR CB - Playing opposite of Ramsey.

With the news about David in TB, I'd add Kevin Minter to this list, at least in deeper leagues.  If you're desperate for a LB who MAY put up double-digit points for a couple of weeks, Minter could be that guy.  

A couple of updates on the guys I mentioned above....

Darious Williams suffered a significant ankle injury, and is out indefinitely (may go to IR).

Trevathan is back, but Ogletree still managed a decent game this week.  Just be cautious with him going forward.

Also, in WAS, Jamin Davis does not appear to be the benefactor of Jon Bostic's injury.  WAS played a lot of 3CB/3S snaps with Holcomb being the only real 3-down LB.  

David Long may be short term but with a potential for long term.  With Jayon Brown and Evans both hurt he is playing almost every down but he seems to be a favorite of the coaching staff ( @Bri may have more info on that) to turn into a long term option. 

David Long may be short term but with a potential for long term.  With Jayon Brown and Evans both hurt he is playing almost every down but he seems to be a favorite of the coaching staff ( @Bri may have more info on that) to turn into a long term option. 
Good point.  

I think David Long is the kind of player that will always get replaced during the offseason by someone more legitimate in terms of raw athletic potential. He is a great pickup when he gets a starting role due to injuries though. Just wouldn't count too much on him for 2022. He plays very aggressively against the run which is always good for fantasy production. Just be carefull with players with no pedigrees and nothing special about their athleticism.

With the news about David in TB, I'd add Kevin Minter to this list, at least in deeper leagues.  If you're desperate for a LB who MAY put up double-digit points for a couple of weeks, Minter could be that guy.  
Good call.  TB LB Kevin Minter went in and filled Lavonte David’s role when he got hurt.  Not sure the matchup on TNF against the run averse Eagles is great, but desperate times may lead a GM that way.

Darious Williams suffered a significant ankle injury, and is out indefinitely (may go to IR).

Also, in WAS, Jamin Davis does not appear to be the benefactor of Jon Bostic's injury.  WAS played a lot of 3CB/3S snaps with Holcomb being the only real 3-down LB.  
Williams has been placed on IR.  Is there another Rams corner that could see the targets by QBs avoiding Ramsey?

The WFT is definitely playing DB heavy.  Keep waiting for Landon Collins to make some big plays.  He is, just not for Washington.

I think David Long is the kind of player that will always get replaced during the offseason by someone more legitimate in terms of raw athletic potential. He is a great pickup when he gets a starting role due to injuries though. Just wouldn't count too much on him for 2022. He plays very aggressively against the run which is always good for fantasy production. Just be carefull with players with no pedigrees and nothing special about their athleticism.
TEN LB David Long seems to be the hot add.  If he’s still available, I’d toss some FABB on him.

I would definitely temper expectations beyond this year, as he's certainly no lock to do anything long-term.  That said, it doesn't seem like TEN is thrilled with their LB situation, particularly Evans (it seems like he's as good as gone after this year).  Combine that with Brown's injuries, and Long COULD be more than just a short-term fantasy fix.  Worst case, you get a few games out of him.  Best case, he ends up playing more than the others because one or the other is out.  

I would definitely temper expectations beyond this year, as he's certainly no lock to do anything long-term.  That said, it doesn't seem like TEN is thrilled with their LB situation, particularly Evans (it seems like he's as good as gone after this year).  Combine that with Brown's injuries, and Long COULD be more than just a short-term fantasy fix.  Worst case, you get a few games out of him.  Best case, he ends up playing more than the others because one or the other is out.  
Don't forget about Monty Rice who they drafted this year.  I see him more of a possible play next year over this year but I think he is in their plans for the future. 

Don't forget about Monty Rice who they drafted this year.  I see him more of a possible play next year over this year but I think he is in their plans for the future. 
Yep.  I've got him stashed on a couple of taxi squads for that exact reason.  

Long and Avery Williamson are probably the ILB duo. Rice hasn't been good. Avery has to get used to the system. Simon knows it and can fill in at ILB but he's lowest tier here.

Titans have been playing Bledsoe at DE and moving Landry around(often middle) presnap. Byard and Evans cheat towards Landry's vacant spot and still have Bledsoe's athleticism- not to cover just he can really run if a team runs right, he's been excellent for these few plays. The Jags and Jets ran up the middle real well. Landry isn't a good run stopper and surely not in inside traffic, Evans would have to fend off a lineman because the DTs were creating a gap for Landry and...it kinda backfires against the run. The OC has to have some stones to call a run on third and 6/7 but they couldn't block Landry's speed so it was a good counter.

The Titans normal zone D allows WRs to catch easy passes right by the ILBs that have no business covering them. I expect the go back to this and Landry can't move around. Avery can't cover a big area like Evans.

The weakside ILB has been Long and that's the guy getting idp stats. The strong side is ...not used well as above. 

To move Landry, Long has to switch because he can cover the big area so...I'm not sure which they do. I think Rice should be an OLB and they're still figuring that out.

I'd sit on one for IDP and see what happens. Vrabel mentioned Avery's run stopping ability if that helps

Rookies
MIA S Eric Rowe may be getting phased out, especially if the Dolphins continue to lose.  Time to move to younger Jevon Holland instead?
NO LB Pete Werner seems like a full-time player now, and out of bye week he’s full systems go.

I’m also intrigued by KC LB Nick Bolton, but haven’t been able to click the start box with him yet.
Injuries
PHI LB Eric Wilson got banged up, are any Eagles depth linebackers are worth looking at?
Same with PIT LB Robert Spillane.  If Devin Bush aggravated his injury, maybe he’s a good play against the Geno Smith led Seahawk offense?  The Steelers then have a bye, so (if open) that may only be a one week window.
DL
MIN DE Everson Griffen is still available in one of my leagues at least, so I’ll mention him here.  I know, “Not in my league!”
DET DE Trey Flowers was active again.  If an impatient GM cut him, he’s worth a pick up.  Better in tackle heavy leagues.  In big-play leagues his teammate Charles Harris keeps getting to the QB.
Other players in that same mold would be MIA DT Christian Wilkins or GB DT Kenny Clark in tackle heavy or KC DE Michael Danna or HOU DE Whitney Mercilus in big-play scoring (read the Texans have yet to blitz on a 3rd down this year.  WTH?).  I kind of have my eye on CHI DE Trevis Gipson as well.  He should be available in all leagues, and he just looks like a legit talent.  Deep watch list for now.
LB
HOU LB Zach Cunningham keeps losing snaps?  Man, he was a beast just last season!? Kamu Grugier-Hill seems worth picking up.  The Texans defense is always on the field and he could be a season-long grab.  Not sure there’s much upside though.
NYJ LB Quincy Williams is so fun to watch.  He’s just aggressive, but apparently Jarrad Davis is going to start when he comes back after the bye?  Uh, ok.  Jets gonna Jets I guess.
NYG LB Reggie Ragland seems like a decent plug and play.  I have Tae Crowder as the LB to have there, but it may be both are just okay.
JAX LB Myles Jack lost the green dot.  Does it matter?  Maybe not right away, but I’d be looking to move him if anyone if buying.  Damien Wilson is on watch at least.
LAR LB Troy Reeder may be interesting, but team could stay with Kenny Young.  I have no feel for that situation.  Not sure the Rams know either.  Worth monitoring.
NE LB Jamie Collins only played a few snaps, but he did get a ½ sack.  He may be rostered, but if available he could be useful in big play leagues.  Probably needs an injury in front of him to get enough snaps to be an IDP starter though.
DB
SEA S Quandre Diggs is still available in one of my leagues at least, so I’ll mention him here.  I know, “Not in my league!”  As a GM that drafted Bobby Wagner out of Utah St and has started him for the last decade, the Seattle crew still assigns less tackles and more assists than most home field stat crews.  It’s just their thing and can be frustrating.  Speaking of which, Wagner did get banged up.  He’s higher profile than most IDPs, but wanted to mention it at least.
Every IDP league I’m in there are a million other DBs available.  As always.  Not sure many are that interesting, but it appears that the Texans have multiple players worth looking at.  Or not.  When in doubt, this is the position to cut from.  Are there any box safeties, with an increased snap count, languishing on a few waiver wires?

Thursday Night Football opens this week with some point possibilities right out of the gate with injuries to the Broncos and Browns linebackers.

• CLE LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah suffered an injury, creating a great opportunity for Anthony Walker to produce immediately.  GMs remember his production from his time with the Colts, so he was surprisingly rostered in many of my leagues, but he’s an easy pick-up if available.  Maybe Mack Wilson is now worth a watch in large roster leagues?
  • DEN LB AJ Johnson tore his pec and is out for the season.  Josey Jewel is already out, so there are tackles to be had.  Not sure how it plays out with rookie Baron Browning having the highest upside.  He’s in the concussion protocol though, so he may have to wait.  So it will probably be Micah Kiser and Justin Strnad with the first cracks at it this week.  Not sure how this shakes out, but I’d roll with Browning if I’m speculating long-term and he’s out there.
  • In CB required leagues, Kyle Fuller saw his snaps cut to almost nothing and he could be traded.  Makes Ronald Darby really interesting there.  Also like what I'm seeing from S Kareem Jackson.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few tidbits before week 7:
DE

• HOU DE Jonathan Greenard has been a beast of late and is/was available in several of my leagues.  Big play potential and growing playing time is a decent combo.  I’d snatch him up if a spot is available.
  • GB DE Whitney Mercilus was mentioned in this thread a recently, now he’s signed with the Packers.  With Za’Darius Smith out (for the year?) and Preston Smith dinged up, he could be in for some immediate playing time.  Decent upside in big-play leagues.
LB

• Mentioned CLE and DEN situations and options,  Tonight we get the first results.  Based on those, any players that spike tonight may be the big pick-ups next week if not already scooped up.  Or they could be shopped if you already snapped one up.
  • BAL LB Patrick Queen hasn’t been playing well.  Now he’s starting to lose more snaps.  Chuck Clark already wears the green dot, so there’s nothing keeping Queen’s snaps from dropping even more.  Just last week Josh Bynes took quite a few of those snaps and played well.  He could be in line for even more work.  He’s 32, so we’re not talking long-term, but is a decent dice roll this season.
  • The Eagles linebackers have been all over the place this season.  Inconsistent production, odd snap totals, and weird numbers vs. those snap totals.  May be nothing but I preemptively picked-up PHI LB Davion Taylor in one large roster league hoping he steals a bigger role sometime soon.  Worth a watch at least.
DB

• ARI DB Budda Baker is a personal fav, but he had a really poor point total last week.  Looking into it, seems like nothing.  He played 100% of the snaps, but the game wasn’t competitive and the lower than average opportunity totals went elsewhere.  Just one odd week (I hope).  Nothing to see there.
  • DAL S Jayron Kearse has been remarkably consistent, notching a minimum of 3 tackles and an assist in every game (never just 3 and 1).  The big plays haven’t been there, but if you need a high floor safety he’s available in a decent number of leagues.
  • The ride may be over for KC DB Daniel Sorensen.  He was exposed two weeks ago against the Bills (I started him that week and was cringing watching him).  Of course, you don’t have to be a great DB to be productive in fake football, but Sorensen pushed that too far and has now lost reps to Juan Thornhill.  The younger Thornhill may be worth starting if bye weeks are an issue.  Sorensen is a cut.
  • TEN CB Kristian Fulton and LAR CB Darious Williams have been placed on IR.  TEN CB Elijah Molden could be a nice pick-up while LAR CB Robert Rochell is now the target starting across from Jalen Ramsey.  Great short-term players to snag.
As always, looking for homer input on any of these situations that you may have the local info on.  As always, appreciate the confirmation or wild speculation regarding any of these situations.

Is Jarrod Davis really moving back to starter role this week(7)?  He's a FA in my league, and I could use a LB.
Sounds like it, Davis is worth a pickup if you need someone.

CJ Mosley got banged up two weeks ago but coming off the bye he doesn't sound like a guarantee to play (we'll find out today I'd guess), so there's still hope for Quincy Williams.  Even if Mosley & Davis both start this weekend I'm holding Williams in most leagues because it seems unlikely both Mosley & Davis will stay healthy in front of him.

quick note on LB Queen.  Twitter has been all over him losing snaps to Bynes (I own both now), but Athletic beat writer indicated that the new plan was to move Queen to weakside, insert Bynes on "base" downs and make Bynes responsible for lining up the defense (Clark still with dot, apparently), and have Board sub in for Bynes in passing situations.  Supposedly to take things off Queen's plate and allow him to focus on his own responsibilities.

Doesn't change the recommendation of Bynes for short term production, but was a useful nugget I hadn't seen elsewhere

Need a bye week cover (possibly more) at DB this week - 2 pt. tackle, 2 pt. INT, 1.5 pt Pass Defense

Guys without a week 7 bye (Jayron Kearse is available but doesn't help this week) include:

Kendall Fuller - scored 9 or more in 5 of 6 weeks, including 17 or more in 3 weeks, currently DB12 in our league

Jaquiski Tartt - dropped last week, has scored between 6 and 12 points each week thus far

Those are probably the top 2 on my list, but a lot of CBs are available that are in that 9-12 PPG range right now. Top ones based on the site projections beyond those 2 are Terrance Mitchell, L'Jarius Sneed, AJ Bouye and Anthony Averett.

Anyone jump out as the one I should snag?

Need a bye week cover (possibly more) at DB this week - 2 pt. tackle, 2 pt. INT, 1.5 pt Pass Defense

Guys without a week 7 bye (Jayron Kearse is available but doesn't help this week) include:

Kendall Fuller - scored 9 or more in 5 of 6 weeks, including 17 or more in 3 weeks, currently DB12 in our league

Jaquiski Tartt - dropped last week, has scored between 6 and 12 points each week thus far

Those are probably the top 2 on my list, but a lot of CBs are available that are in that 9-12 PPG range right now. Top ones based on the site projections beyond those 2 are Terrance Mitchell, L'Jarius Sneed, AJ Bouye and Anthony Averett.

Anyone jump out as the one I should snag?
Fuller is a very nice, consistent player.  Probably your safest choice.  I tent to avoid Tartt... he has a low tackle floor, lack big plays, and (unfortunately) has a long enough injury history for me to shy away from him.  Nothing wrong with starting him if you feel differently though.

The only downside to Fuller and Averett this week is their opponents tend to spread the ball around and play at a slow pace of play (Packers & Bengals).  This certainly isn't a huge deal but will probably cap the number of snaps they'll see.  I kind of like Bouye this week if you're feeling frisky.

All that said, these corner matchups can be as bad as picking kickers. Just make your best guess and be cool with your most well reasoned choices being completely wrong.  Check to see if TEN CB Elijah Molden or LAR CB Robert Rochell are available...I'd lean them over everyone (except Fuller?).  Good luck.

Fuller is a very nice, consistent player.  Probably your safest choice.  I tent to avoid Tartt... he has a low tackle floor, lack big plays, and (unfortunately) has a long enough injury history for me to shy away from him.  Nothing wrong with starting him if you feel differently though.

The only downside to Fuller and Averett this week is their opponents tend to spread the ball around and play at a slow pace of play (Packers & Bengals).  This certainly isn't a huge deal but will probably cap the number of snaps they'll see.  I kind of like Bouye this week if you're feeling frisky.

All that said, these corner matchups can be as bad as picking kickers. Just make your best guess and be cool with your most well reasoned choices being completely wrong.  Check to see if TEN CB Elijah Molden or LAR CB Robert Rochell are available...I'd lean them over everyone (except Fuller?).  Good luck.

The bolded seems to be the story of my season.

Both Molden and Rochell are available as well. Rochell I could actually add to my taxi squad as I have one opening there for a rookie. Will "research" these guys a little more and come to a decision. Appreciate the input.

Not sure how many weeks I'll continue to post IDP info, but I'm enjoying it for now...so why not?  We'll see how it goes.  Feel free to provide any commentary you have regarding a situation I'm clearly incorrect on or provide a take on some of the ambiguous defensive situations out there.  Thanks.

Rookies

• DET LB Derrick Barnes still isn’t getting enough snaps to play, but the Lions would be smart to start giving him more snaps, no?  Until (if?) that happens Jalen Reeves-Maybin remains an okay option to stream.
  • KC LB Nick Bolton has a breakout performance, but that was with Anthony Hitchens out and the Titans pounding Derrick Henry.  Decent play, but still match-up based.
  • WAS LB Jamin Davis is now getting the snaps, could be in for a rise in production.  Buy if you can.
  • ATL S Richie Grant keeps seeing his playing time increase.  Could be close to being a starter for IDP squads.
  • MIA S Jevon Holland playing 100% of snaps.  Decent start now.
  • LV S Trevon Moehrig is getting all the snaps, but he’s the deep safety most of the time with Jonathan Abram playing in the box.  Moehrig’s numbers have been solid, but I’d move him if another GM is interested in buying his upside/youth.
  • MIA DL Jaelan Phillips is a big talent that has flashed but his role seems inconsistent.  Watch list for now.
DL

• NO DE Marcus Davenport has been reinstated from IR.  The Saints get after the passer, so he’s worth a watch at minimum.
  • GB DE Whitney Mercilus played almost half the snaps in his first week as a Packer.  He looked disruptive and is worth a pick-up if still available for depth.  I really thought he looked good.  Dean Lowry may also be worth a pick-up if you’re desperate.
  • DET DE Julian Okwara has some upside in the right games.  Is this week against the Eagles one of them?
  • Is LV DE Ngakoue Yannick a thing again?  He’s available is some of my leagues, is only 26, and has been productive in the past.  I may take a swing at his upside.
LB

• The fiasco that is the NYJ LBs. :deep breath:  CJ Mosley was out, Jarrad Davis didn’t get activated from short-term IR, Jamien Sherwood was given the green dot but left the game injured, Quincy Williams suffered a concussion early, and Blake Cashman even exited stage left with an injury.   Mosley will be back and productive and Davis should be back with an opportunity to produce.  After that I’m cutting bait on all the rest.  If you feel differently….good luck.  At least one of them will probably hit at some point.
  • CIN LB Akeem Davis-Gainther is worth a watch.  Ourlads lists Germaine Pratt as the starter alongside Logan Wilson, but is that changing?  ADG is a decent speculative pick-up if you have a roster spot.
  • NYG LB Benardrick McKinney was called up from the practice squad last weekend and a made a few tackles.  I believe Tae Crowder is safe at MLB, but I have him everywhere and I’m now monitoring here.
  • LAR LB Troy Reeder becomes rosterable again with Kenny Young getting moved to the Broncos.  Speaking of, DEN LB Micah Kiser got dinged up last week and is on IR and they used Justin Strnad 100% of snaps.  I did have rookie Baron Browning as an interesting player to watch, but then the Broncos made that deal for Young.  Situation to watch, but Strnad is the best guess to produce short-term.
  • If available, I’m looking at JAX LB Damien Wilson after the Jaguars bye last weekend to spot start.  After watching the Seahawks on MNF, something tells me Pete Carroll will be looking to run the ball a lot against Jacksonville this week.
DB

• A few FBGs were talking about CLE S Grant Delpit in another thread, so I took a look at him.  He’s cutting into Ronnie Harrison’s snaps at across from John Johnson, but I don’t see anything to get excited about…including Johnson.  He got a pick, but I’d sell if anyone is buying.
  • WAS S Landon Collins should be benched (or traded if you can).  He put up good numbers this week, but was noticeably on the sidelines for half the game against the Packers after being discussed as a LB fill-in in the media last week.  Not sure what to make of it all.  Kamren Curl is at 100% of snaps and is the DB to have on the WFT.
  • NYJ S Ashtyn Davis has grabbed playing time.  Unsure if it will stick but worth a pick-up if available.  I’d also be comfortable playing CB Bryce Hall if needed.
  • TB CB Jamel Dean is seeing a huge number of targets thrown his way.  Boom/bust…is he worth a pick-up?
  • GB CB Eric Stokes is a great spot start this week.  The Cardinals passing game will likely target the rookie and he should have plenty of opportunities to make some tackles and PBUs.
  • As mentioned last week, KC S Juan Thornhill is officially the S to have in KC.  I’d go with CB L’Jarius Sneed before S Daniel Sorensen at this point.
Injury Watch

• CAR S Sean Chandler is a deep reach spot start if Juston Burris stays on IR (he’s eligible to come off).
  • TEN DB Dane Cruikshank is a nice fill-in if Amani Hooker remains out.
  • CLE LB Anthony Walker remains a very good start until JOK returns.

Agreed. Good reads each time. 

Any additional info on CLE LB with Walker/JOK as to why you think Walker will see decreased snaps when JOK is healthy? Are they not both on the field? Who wears the green dot? 

Asking for a friend. ;)

Agreed. Good reads each time. 

Any additional info on CLE LB with Walker/JOK as to why you think Walker will see decreased snaps when JOK is healthy? Are they not both on the field? Who wears the green dot? 

Asking for a friend. ;)
The green dot has been all over for the Browns this season.  It started with Anthony Walker, then he got hurt and it went to Malcolm Smith, then it went to John Johnson (who had that responsibility for the Rams last season) and he currently has it.

Its possible Walker stays on the field as much when JOK returns, but I'm hesitant.  Mainly because of the defensive scheme the Browns run and how they work in so many players for specific situations.  THIS article from the beginning of the season does a much better job of explaining Cleveland's preferred 4-2-5 alignment than I can.

Walker is a solid player, but some holes in his game were evident in Indy and are still exploited at times in Cleveland.  He's still a really solid LB, but JOK can be special... especially with his speed on 3rd downs.  With some of the problems the Browns have had on the back end of their defense this season they may elect to get that upside on the field more.  That could simply be alongside Walker.   Or something else entirely.  Just enough ambiguity with Walker to have me hesitant that he'll continue to be an automatic IDP start once JOK returns.

Note: Walker was on the field for 100% of snaps last game.  So zero worries at all right now.  Even if his snap percentage does drop when JOK returns, he'll still be a decent IDP.

A few FBGs were talking about CLE S Grant Delpit in another thread, so I took a look at him.  He’s cutting into Ronnie Harrison’s snaps at across from John Johnson, but I don’t see anything to get excited about…including Johnson.  He got a pick, but I’d sell if anyone is buying.
Their was an even-split in reps between Harrison and Delpit with  29.  Harrison was playing more-up and had 'better' stats with 3 solos and 2  assists to Delpit's 1 PD but they were playing Delpit back.  Leading up to the Bronco game their was major communication issues in the secondary where up up to 3 different coverages were being played by individual  players on any one-play (see Charger game and busted coverages).  S John Johnson had his best game by far but he wasn't being lined up as deep as he had been and 'shock' made plays getting his first INT of the  season. 

I would expect more of the same making Delpit the deep safety in a split with Harrison making him a non-starter.

major communication issues in the secondary where up up to 3 different coverages were being played by individual  players on any one-play
Great breakdown Bracie, thanks.  The snip quoted above is mind-boggling.  Maybe at some mid-level D3 school, but in the NFL?  That's just crazy.  Thankfully for the Browns, Myles Garrett keeps some of those problems on the All22 vs scoring highlights.

Debating adding another DL this week in advance of covering byes next week/ being able to bench Chase Young

Currently only have Danielle Hunter, Chase Young and Darrell Taylor.

For perspective, our DL is generally a fairly low scoring position - top DL YTD is Haasan Reddick with 79 points (Hunter is DL4 with 71). Chase Young is about DL40 with 41 points YTD.

Top guys I'm considering, in no particular order:

Randy Gregory

Marcus Davenport

Josh Sweat

Al-Quadin Muhammad

Charles Harris

Thoughts on these guys for at least the next few weeks/rest of season. I have one open roster spot, and if I decide to add 2, have some dead weight I can trim taking a minimal contract cap hit.

major communication issues in the secondary where up up to 3 different coverages were being played by individual  players on any one-play
Great breakdown Bracie, thanks.  The snip quoted above is mind-boggling.  Maybe at some mid-level D3 school, but in the NFL?  That's just crazy.
Have to note how much of an anomaly the Charger game was.  Heading into that game the Browns had 2 CBs OUT.  12 plays-in starting CB Denzel Ward went out.  His replacement lasted one play before he went OUT so the  Browns were starting a street FA guy at CB who had 2 NFL plays in his entire NFL resume.  ADD, Grant Delpit played zero games last year so he is basically a rookie and was injured ALL of the offseason, TC, and preseason.  He had zero real-game NFL experience and was thrust into a starting role because Harrison got injured so the Browns HAD to play their top FA S John Johnson further back off the LOS to cover for all sorts of secondary issues making him LESS effective.

The saving grace in the mess has been Greedy Williams who has really looked good.  Delpit is coming along 's-l-o-w-l-y' and Denzel is hurt again but Cleveland has loads of talent and it could/should come together and be extremely tough  with that pass rush.  For all of the secondary issues the Browns rank 4th defensively in the league so...

Debating adding another DL this week in advance of covering byes next week/ being able to bench Chase Young

For perspective, our DL is generally a fairly low scoring position - top DL YTD is Haasan Reddick with 79 points (Hunter is DL4 with 71). Chase Young is about DL40 with 41 points YTD.

Randy Gregory

Marcus Davenport

Josh Sweat

Al-Quadin Muhammad

Charles Harris

Thoughts on these guys for at least the next few weeks/rest of season. I have one open roster spot, and if I decide to add 2, have some dead weight I can trim taking a minimal contract cap hit.
I picked up C.Harris for bye week coverage so I do like his outlook. 

Randy Gregory

Marcus Davenport

Josh Sweat

Al-Quadin Muhammad

Charles Harris

I like Gregory.  With Dallas scoring so much Gregory can pin his ears back.  I expect 1 sack per game average as long as he stays healthy.

Well, I picked up Gregory and started him in place of Young (who of course decided to be my highest scoring DL for the week, not that any did a ton).

And of course just lost Hunter for the season, so right back in the boat of needing to add another DL. At least once Hunter is officially on IR in MFL I can IR him and open up the roster spot.

Will probably add Harris or Davenport, even though Sweat is coming off a bigger game, I think one of those first 2 is likely to be a bit more consistent

Well, I picked up Gregory and started him in place of Young (who of course decided to be my highest scoring DL for the week, not that any did a ton).

And of course just lost Hunter for the season, so right back in the boat of needing to add another DL. At least once Hunter is officially on IR in MFL I can IR him and open up the roster spot.

Will probably add Harris or Davenport, even though Sweat is coming off a bigger game, I think one of those first 2 is likely to be a bit more consistent
Well, at least he got you a sack so even if he wasn't as good as Young he didn't really hurt you. 

Well, at least he got you a sack so even if he wasn't as good as Young he didn't really hurt you. 
Exactly - was only a 2 point difference and had no bearing on the game as I won handily. With how the season has been going, I kind of knew that Young would lead my team this week on my bench

Exactly - was only a 2 point difference and had no bearing on the game as I won handily. With how the season has been going, I kind of knew that Young would lead my team this week on my bench
I have had the same issue all year.  No matter who I start the bench guys always perform better.  It has cost me about 3 wins.  Ugh

Writing some items up this week before the trade deadline, we’ll see how moves effect playing time.  Please post any trades and the expected effect on other players. 👍

DL

• DAL DE Randy Gregory should be picked-up, if available.  His production has been okay, but he really looked good on SNF.  Not sure I'd bench Chase Young for him @acarey50, but he's ready to produce if he can keep his head straight.  I know, “He’s not available in my league!”  I’d also put DT Justin Hamilton on the watch list for those of you in deep, DT required leagues.  He could be a one-week fill-in if you are desperate.
  • ARE DE Zach Allen seems to be the beneficiary of the JJ Watt injury.  Got a sack and is now worth a watch.  Pick-up if you’re desperate I guess.  Ditto with JAX DE Dawuane Smoot or PIT DE Chris Worley in certain match-ups.
  • CHI LB Khalil Mack was out last week and the Bears had zero sacks.  If he’s out in the future I’m leaning away from starting everyone except LB Roquan Smith.  Just not enough pressure/double teams to free others up when he’s inactive.  Putting this with DL items, because that seems to be the group of players more on the start/bench line here.
LB

• If he’s still available, NYJ LB Jarrad Davis is a must pick-up. @steelcityman  He didn’t play 100% yet, but that seems likely and the Jets are typically an IDP opportunity wonder land.
  • PHI LB TJ Edwards appeared to supplant Alex Singleton.  I’m picking him up everywhere and hoping for the best.  Could be a total fluke, but Singleton was crazy productive on much less than 100% snaps, so why not Edwards?  I’m still interested in Davion Taylor as well.
  • LAR LB Earnest Jones had a nice game against the Lions.  He’s worth a pick-up if available, but the player to have could end up being Troy Reeder.  We’ll see how it shakes out.
  • Same with the Saints where NO LB Kwon Alexander has been cutting into Pete Werner’s snaps.  Not sure why, but this probably takes Werner out of your starting lineup for the immediate future.
  • CLE LBs had some stuffed stat lines this week, but I watched that entire game and it was just the Steelers offense running the ball and Big Ben only throwing it short.  That match-up against the Steelers looks like a great one for IDP LBs.
  • GB LB Jaylon Smith was inactive last week, not sure he’s worth a roster spot unless it’s a rebuilding team in large roster leagues and you’re swinging at his upside.  Update:  the Packers have cut Smith.  Seems like he should be cut from your IDP roster as well.
  • Mea culpa is in order to those of you that started Justin Strnad because of my previous weekly guesses. The Broncos had the newly acquired Kenny Young play about half the snaps at LB.  Apparently he will displace Strand because rookie Baron Browning got almost all the other ILB reps.  Johnathan Cooper is also in the mix.  I’m suggesting going after Browning first, then guessing Young if you want to gamble.  Cutting Strnad outright myself.  In IDP world I’m quick to move on, which may not be your style.  Set your waivers accordingly.  Also, with Von Miller getting traded we should see an increase in snaps for Malik Reed.  Worth a look in big play leagues.
DB

• Is this another “my bad”?  The magic 8-ball says, "Signs point to yes" if you benched WAS S Landon Collins last week based on anything I’ve posted here.  Had him on my bench in multiple leagues and his box score tells me I was wrong.  His snaps were at almost 90%...maybe it’s just a match-up thing where he’ll fluctuate between 50-90%?  After the WFT bye they play the Bucs.  Is that a decent start?  You tell me.  Arghhh.  His playing time does seem to somewhat effect Jamin Davis.  I like the rookie’s upside, but he’s unplayable at the moment.
  • ARI DB Jalen Thompson is becoming more reliable.  If not rostered, he probably should be.
  • PHI S Marcus Epps is worth a look in bigger leagues.
  • ATl S Richie Grant played very few snaps this week.  He’s cutable in all big the largest dynasty leagues.  Ditto with LAC LB Kenneth Murray.  I see him on quite a few teams and he just strikes me as a roster clogger except in those dynasty leagues with big rosters.
  • I started TEN CB Elijah Molden in one league (and was rewarded with a pick6!), but his snaps were down for some reason and he only ended up with 2 tackles.  I’m taking my short-term profit and cutting him for another DB. If a CB isn’t getting near 100% of snaps I’m just moving on.
👨‍🦽 Injury Replacements worth a watch, pick-up if needed, short-term start possibility against right match-ups.  A few FBGs were tagged here for any input they may be able to provide.

• MIN DE DJ Wonnum partially replaced the injured Danielle Hunter. @Golden Gopher
  • TEN LB Monty Rice replaced the injured Rashaan Evans. @Gally  Of note, the Titans have also released Avery Williamson. @Bri
  • MIA LB Duke Riley replaced the injured Jerome Baker.  Not sure what to make of him (I’d probably avoid), but you could do worse if Baker is out.
  • CHI S DeAndre Houston-Carson replaced the injured Eddie Jackson.
  • SF S Talanoa Hufanga replaced the injured Jaquiski Tartt.  As we talked about a few weeks ago, Tartt always seems to get hurt.
  • IND S George Odum replaced the injured Khari Willis.  I’ll mention it now, Willis always seems to get hurt.
  • If CLE S John Johnson is out…our never ending watch of Malik Jackson & Grant Delpit could get interesting. @Bracie Smathers 😎

Sorry, after that loss on Sunday night, I really have avoided looking at anything Vikings-related for the past 36 hours.  I will say that Hunter is special, so I would temper expectations for whoever takes his place.  In fact, when he's been out in the past, the entire D-Line looks different.  So, it wouldn't surprise me at all if others (Griffin, etc.) take a slight hit in production as a result of not having DH around.  

Totally agree about Gregory, by the way.  Stats may not have been there (for him, or for the DAL defense in general), but it felt like they were very disruptive in that game, and a lot of that can be credited to Gregory.  As mentioned, he just needs to keep his head on straight (he had multiple personal foul penalties in the 4th quarter that almost/should have cost the Cowboys).

Rice hasn't done squat. We're all waiting on him as Titans fans. I hear ya, maybe this is the time. I hope y'all get to see what I see- he's an OLB playing ILB.

How did he look Sunday?
I didn't notice him. I had work to do and wasn't as attentive as usual but haven't noticed him on any game review either.

Texted a friend- couldn't shed a block all day. Hit the wrong gap. Typical rookie nerves

Mid-season note: Detroit, Miami, and New England are teams to be leery of.  The Pats are a good example because we all know Bill Belichick’s penchant for running out different schemes each week (this week, no IDP for the Pats had more than 3 solo tackles).  Which is good for his NFL defenses, but not great for IDP projections.  Ditto with the Dolphins and Lions.  If you’re 50/50 to start a player on one of those three teams and someone else…I’d lean away from the Lion, Dolphin, or Patriot.  Just a preference by me though.  I’m leaning that way with the Rams LBs as well.  With that, here's what I've read/thought entering week 10.  Al always, feel free to post any homer notes that may be helpful for other FBG's.  Thanks.

DL

• NO DE Marcus Davenport should be on someone’s roster in your league.  Ditto with DT David Onyemata.  If your league is DT required, spend your FABB on him. I know, “Not in my league!”
  • Mentioned him as a pick-up a few weeks ago, but if LV DE Yannick Ngakoue is still available he’ll probably be a pick-up by someone this week on waivers.
  • DET DE Julian Okwara is worth a look and the Lions are now coming off their bye week.  Decent bye week fill-in when the match-up is right.
  • TEN DL Jeffrey Simmons made the Pro-Bowl on SNF.  Some GM saw that and now feels he’s the next Aaron Donald.  Find that GM and see if they’re interested in paying those prices for him.  Simmons isn’t a flash in the pan by any means, but this may be a sell high moment.  Worth exploring at least.
  • Ditto with JAX DE Dawuane Smoot.  We mentioned him before and now he’s getting over 80% of snaps and has produced.  Pick-up if you need a DL.
LB

• MIA LB Jerome Baker is back and played near 100% of snaps.  Start with confidence moving forward.
  • GB LB Krys Barnes had a good game in his first after the Pack cut Jaylon Smith.  Worth a pick-up and start in the right match-ups.
  • TEN LB Jayon Brown returned from IR and was productive.  Rashaan Evans was out last week though, so this situation is one to watch.  It appears David Long will be keeping one spot, but we’ll see for sure when all three are back.  Monty Rice is now a cut.
  • As we talked about last week, TJ Edwards is now the LB to have in Philly.  He’s at almost 100% of snaps…grab him now if available.  “Not in my league!”
  • DAL LB Micah Parsons has already locked-up the Defensive Rookie award.  In rookie drafts three or four LBs were high picks, but Parsons is already the clear winner.  Congrats if you drafted him.  The rest of those Cowboy linebackers were on the field a lot this weekend as they got blown out.  Don’t be a sucker for Leighton Vander Esch.
  • Speaking of situations to be aware of, KC LB Anthony Hitchens returned for the Chiefs and he played about half the snaps.  So did LB’s Nick Bolton, Willie Gay, and Ben Niemann.  Until that clears up I don’t believe any of them are a good gamble to start right now.
  • Watching CIN LB Germaine Pratt.  Good playing time against the Browns, but how long will Akeem Davis-Gaither remain out?
  • ARI LB Isaiah Simmons played every snap.  If that sticks, he could become a player to click as your starter every week.
  • NO LB Pete Werner continues to lose playing time to Kwon Alexander.  Neither is probably worth starting right now, and not worth keeping in small roster leagues.
DB

• NYJ S Ashtyn Davis got almost 100% of the snaps, looks good as a pick-up and starter if your DBs are flailing.  In the same secondary, Marcus Maye was injured and will be out for the remainder of the year.  Sharrod Neasman looks to get the first shot in Maye’s safety spot.
  • JAC S Johnathan Ford played almost 100% of snaps and had a big stat line.  I got excited, but was it a game plan specific thing against the Bills 3 wide set?  He’s on a watch list for now…we’ll see.
  • ATL S Erik Harris has been a solid floor player.  A safe play, especially in tackle heavy scoring systems.
  • IND S George Odum is still available all over if you’re desperate.
  • Since Jabril Peppers exited stage left a few weeks ago, Xavier McKinney has been going crazy.  If available, he’s a solid starter with some big-play potential. "Not in my leagues!"
Injury Replacements

• MIN CB (on MFL) Camryn Bynum played 100% of snaps and seemed to be the DB that played for Harrison Smith (unvaxxed covid player that will miss another game).
  • DEN LB Jonathan Cooper filled-in for LB Malik Reed.  Big-play leagues only if Reed is out again.
  • In DT required leagues, SF DT DJ Jones is playing for Javon Kinlaw.
  • HOU LB Christian Kirksey (stop me if you’ve read this in past seasons) is injured.  That got Zach Cunningham back on the field and into line-ups until Kirksey returns from short-term IR.  LB Neville Hewitt put up nice stats this week, but that production was with under 40% of snaps.  I’d pass on him for now.
  • BAL S DeShon Elliott is out for the year, and it sounds like BAL CB (on MFL) Brandon Stephens may get the first crack to replace him.  On the watch list.
  • SF S Tavon Wilson (who many will remember producing for the Lions in the past) looks like the fill-in when S Jimmy Ward is out.  Ward was inactive last week, but not on IR.  Worth a look in large roster leagues if you’re desperate on game day.

"MIA LB Jerome Baker is back and played near 100% of snaps.  Start with confidence moving forward."

Just a note regarding the above. Baker was listed as "Limited" by the Dolphins for Tuesday's practice. Miami plays on TNF this week.

• ARI LB Isaiah Simmons played every snap.  If that sticks, he could become a player to click as your starter every week.
  •  

Simmons has averaged about 93% of the snaps all season.  I think he has "stuck" already.  He has been solid but is sitting at LB25 (big play scoring) and LB23 (tackle heavy scoring) in my two leagues.  Basically a high end LB3 for the year.   I think he has a lot of room for improvement for the IDP community and has actually disappointed me based on the snaps he is getting.  He should be better.  Hicks is actually the LB I would start in Arizona of the two.  He has just been a bit better on average.

Mid-season note: Detroit, Miami, and New England are teams to be leery of.  The Pats are a good example because we all know Bill Belichick’s penchant for running out different schemes each week (this week, no IDP for the Pats had more than 3 solo tackles).  Which is good for his NFL defenses, but not great for IDP projections.  Ditto with the Dolphins and Lions.  If you’re 50/50 to start a player on one of those three teams and someone else…I’d lean away from the Lion, Dolphin, or Patriot.  Just a preference by me though.  I’m leaning that way with the Rams LBs as well.  With that, here's what I've read/thought entering week 10.  Al always, feel free to post any homer notes that may be helpful for other FBG's.  Thanks.

DL

• NO DE Marcus Davenport should be on someone’s roster in your league.  Ditto with DT David Onyemata.  If your league is DT required, spend your FABB on him. I know, “Not in my league!”
  • Mentioned him as a pick-up a few weeks ago, but if LV DE Yannick Ngakoue is still available he’ll probably be a pick-up by someone this week on waivers.
  • DET DE Julian Okwara is worth a look and the Lions are now coming off their bye week.  Decent bye week fill-in when the match-up is right.
  • TEN DL Jeffrey Simmons made the Pro-Bowl on SNF.  Some GM saw that and now feels he’s the next Aaron Donald.  Find that GM and see if they’re interested in paying those prices for him.  Simmons isn’t a flash in the pan by any means, but this may be a sell high moment.  Worth exploring at least.
  • Ditto with JAX DE Dawuane Smoot.  We mentioned him before and now he’s getting over 80% of snaps and has produced.  Pick-up if you need a DL.
LB

• MIA LB Jerome Baker is back and played near 100% of snaps.  Start with confidence moving forward.
  • GB LB Krys Barnes had a good game in his first after the Pack cut Jaylon Smith.  Worth a pick-up and start in the right match-ups.
  • TEN LB Jayon Brown returned from IR and was productive.  Rashaan Evans was out last week though, so this situation is one to watch.  It appears David Long will be keeping one spot, but we’ll see for sure when all three are back.  Monty Rice is now a cut.
  • As we talked about last week, TJ Edwards is now the LB to have in Philly.  He’s at almost 100% of snaps…grab him now if available.  “Not in my league!”
  • DAL LB Micah Parsons has already locked-up the Defensive Rookie award.  In rookie drafts three or four LBs were high picks, but Parsons is already the clear winner.  Congrats if you drafted him.  The rest of those Cowboy linebackers were on the field a lot this weekend as they got blown out.  Don’t be a sucker for Leighton Vander Esch.
  • Speaking of situations to be aware of, KC LB Anthony Hitchens returned for the Chiefs and he played about half the snaps.  So did LB’s Nick Bolton, Willie Gay, and Ben Niemann.  Until that clears up I don’t believe any of them are a good gamble to start right now.
  • Watching CIN LB Germaine Pratt.  Good playing time against the Browns, but how long will Akeem Davis-Gaither remain out?
  • NO LB Pete Werner continues to lose playing time to Kwon Alexander.  Neither is probably worth starting right now, and not worth keeping in small roster leagues.
DB

• NYJ S Ashtyn Davis got almost 100% of the snaps, looks good as a pick-up and starter if your DBs are flailing.  In the same secondary, Marcus Maye was injured and will be out for the remainder of the year.  Sharrod Neasman looks to get the first shot in Maye’s safety spot.
  • JAC S Johnathan Ford played almost 100% of snaps and had a big stat line.  I got excited, but was it a game plan specific thing against the Bills 3 wide set?  He’s on a watch list for now…we’ll see.
  • ATL S Erik Harris has been a solid floor player.  A safe play, especially in tackle heavy scoring systems.
  • IND S George Odum is still available all over if you’re desperate.
  • Since Jabril Peppers exited stage left a few weeks ago, Xavier McKinney has been going crazy.  If available, he’s a solid starter with some big-play potential. "Not in my leagues!"
Injury Replacements

• MIN CB (on MFL) Camryn Bynum played 100% of snaps and seemed to be the DB that played for Harrison Smith (unvaxxed covid player that will miss another game).
  • DEN LB Jonathan Cooper filled-in for LB Malik Reed.  Big-play leagues only if Reed is out again.
  • In DT required leagues, SF DT DJ Jones is playing for Javon Kinlaw.
  • HOU LB Christian Kirksey (stop me if you’ve read this in past seasons) is injured.  That got Zach Cunningham back on the field and into line-ups until Kirksey returns from short-term IR.  LB Neville Hewitt put up nice stats this week, but that production was with under 40% of snaps.  I’d pass on him for now.
  • BAL S DeShon Elliott is out for the year, and it sounds like BAL CB (on MFL) Brandon Stephens may get the first crack to replace him.  On the watch list.
  • SF S Tavon Wilson (who many will remember producing for the Lions in the past) looks like the fill-in when S Jimmy Ward is out.  Ward was inactive last week, but not on IR.  Worth a look in large roster leagues if you’re desperate on game day.
thanks for writing these up, it is a big help! Maybe FBG can hire you.

Gally said:
Simmons has averaged about 93% of the snaps all season.  I think he has "stuck" already.  He has been solid but is sitting at LB25 (big play scoring) and LB23 (tackle heavy scoring) in my two leagues.  Basically a high end LB3 for the year.   I think he has a lot of room for improvement for the IDP community and has actually disappointed me based on the snaps he is getting.  He should be better.  Hicks is actually the LB I would start in Arizona of the two.  He has just been a bit better on average.
Great points.  I agree Hicks is the top fake football LB in Arizona right now.  How many GMs drafted Simmons last year and then drafted Jamin Davis this season (I'd say Zaven Collins, but if a GM went through the Simmons saga last year, I'm guessing they were shy about taking another LB with the Cardinals 😄)?  Hopefully Collins makes that jump as well.

I was just excited Simmons is at that 100% mark.  The difference between 90% and 100% may only be a handful of snaps in any game, but I take that 100% as a sign the coaching staff is comfortable with the player in all game situations, the player stays healthy enough to not miss plays, and/or the other players at the position aren't good/healthy enough to compel the coaches to work them in at the expense of the player at 100%.

With Simmons the real question was where would he fit in on defense?  He had that versatility in college, but would that translate?  Skill wise he seemed good to go, but could a defensive staff find ways to maximize his diverse skill set?  Simmons isn't maximizing on his opportunities yet, but the Cardinals are moving him all over the field each weekend.  That's a huge jump from last year where he seemed to be swimming in his own head.  Small steps.

I was asked about the “Not in my leagues!” line.  I’ll type that after a suggested player pick-up as a way to acknowledge that player is probably not available in large roster or highly competitive leagues.  It also serves as a pre-emptive slap toward the inevitable GM that will post this type of thing and/or start mumbling about their own team.  If Progressive made a “don’t become your parents” commercial with fantasy football, Dr. Rick would be gently tell this person, “Nobody cares about your fake football team.”  😆  Admittedly, this is more of a Shark Pool thing - the FBGs working the IDP threads tend to get it.  As always, props to those that take some of the non-sense I spin below and offer their own insights on the players in question. 🤜🤛

DL

• PHI DL Derek Barnett may be available in some of your leagues.  He’s gotten to the QB two of the last three weeks, so he’s worth a bench spot if available.  I lean toward Josh Sweat’s consistent activity each week, but he’s been on a snap count and relatively unproductive of late.  There will be better opportunities for these guys soon enough with the Eagles matching up with the Jets in week 13 as well as two games against the Giants and Football Team remaining.
  • NO DE Marcus Davenport went HAM again.  I’ve previously mentioned him, but if he’s out there pick him up.  “Not in my leagues!”
  • GB DE Whitney Mercilus and LB Rashan Gary were both injured on Sunday.  That means more snaps will be available for other pass rushers.  Dean Lowry becomes a streaming option at DE and we’ll watch for others.  Speaking of Green Bay…
LB

• Last week I listed GB LB Krys Barnes as a pick-up and start in the right match-ups.  That may be true, but thinking about it I’m not sure how many games the Packers will be down and facing a steady stream of run attempts.  Against the Seahawks I watched the snow globe game ❄️ from Lambeau Field and he wasn’t even out there for half the snaps.  Match-ups in weeks 15-17 vs the Ravens, Browns, and Vikings is enticing though.
  • TEN LB Jayon Brown and Monty Rice had decent point totals last weekend with David Long and Rashaan Evans out.  Landry was out there the whole game and Rice was at ~70%. This suggests Brown will be the other ILB next to David Long when he returns, making him a must add where available.  “Not in my leagues!”
  • Last week we discussed ARI LB Jordan Hicks and Isaiah Simmons in this thread.  Simmons had a decent game and was all over the defensive scheme, but Hicks continued to be the stat producer.  There’s no reason to think that is going to change this season.  That said, I’m going to go after Zaven Collins in a few of my leagues this week.  His value is as low as it’s going to be with that 1st round draft capital and that Hicks role could be his next season.  Hicks is under contract in 2022, but that’s the last year of the deal and his dead cap hit would only be $3 million.  I could see the Cards squeezing him out if they like what they’re seeing from Collins behind the scenes.
  • What’s up with NYJ LB Jarrad Davis?  I was starting Quincy Williams all over the place earlier this year and he was productive.  Davis now has that ILB spot next to CJ Mosley but he’s not doing much with it.  Anyone have any info on this?  Davis looks like a cut to me in smaller roster leagues.
  • I took a look at the Chiefs linebackers against the Raiders and it was still a mess.    I’d avoid them all until a clear playing time winner emerges or injuries thin the herd.
  • LAR LB Von Miller got some snaps on Monday night vs the 49ers.  It was a rough night for LA overall, but it was great to see Miller in uniform.  The Rams are on bye week 11, but Von should be all systems go after that and could be a start in big-play leagues again.
  • BAL LB Patrick Queen put up big numbers last Thursday, but he still only played about half the snaps.  Worth spot starts in the right match-ups…at best.  In that same game MIA LB Elandon Roberts had a good game too.  Took a look at him but he’s well below 50% of snaps, so I’m passing on him.  I’m still relatively high on Jerome Baker though, still rollin’ him out there weekly despite a down game.
  • DAL LB Leighton Vander Esch is droppable.  After his big game two weeks ago, he did nothing again.  If he’s still hanging on one of your rosters it may be time to search the waiver wire. ♻️
  • If you’re desperate PIT LB Alex Highsmith gets the snaps and just had a great outing against the Lions.  Not sure he’s worth rostering, but he has upside against certain opponents.  Worth a mention at least.  The same could be said for PIT S Terrell Edmunds I guess.  Or maybe the lesson here is to start your IDPs against the Lions?  Speaking of DB’s…
DB

• If ATL DB Erik Harris is still available, he’s a pick-up due to his consistency at a position largely devoid of it.  The same general thought process applies to JAX S Rayshawn Jenkins as well.  Neither is superstar material, but they should both be rostered by someone in your league.
  • Are LAR DB’s Taylor Rapp, Jordan Fuller, and Jalen Ramsey weekly starters?  I’m in leagues where they tend to be started, but I’m not sure they should be in all leagues.  If passes defensed is scored higher than tackles Ramsey is a weekly starter (and certainly in CB required leagues).  Overall, the inconsistency of the safeties frustrates me and I tend to look elsewhere.  Or I’ve moved them to another GM when possible.  Am I alone here on this Rams safety group?
Injury replacements 🪂

• The big IDP injury of the week was WAS DE Chase Young blowing out his ACL… a week after Montez Sweat fractured his jaw.  Looking at playing time it appears DE James Smith-Williams and LB Casey Toohill were next up to play some snaps.  Both were 7th round picks in 2020 and don’t seem to have much upside.  I’d pass on that situation altogether.
  • DAL DE Dorance Armstrong filled in for the injured Randy Gregory (and DeMarcus Lawrence).  The Cowboys success on offense can lead to opportunities for the dline to pin their ears back some weeks. You could do worse.
  • DEN LB Baron Browning tweaked his back and his full-time ILB role went to Kenny Young.  Young’s 2/3 role then went to Curtis Robinson.  Can’t say I know much about Robinson and he wasn’t real productive.  If Browning is out week 12 (Broncos are on bye this week) it does bump Kenny Young up the LB rankings and makes him a startable option.
  • BUF LB Tremaine Edwards was out, so AJ Klein filled-in and stuffed the stat sheet.  Unless the match-up is horrible, Klein is a streamer anytime Edmunds (or Milano) is out.
  • LAC LB Kyzir White replaced Drue Tranquil (covid list) and was productive.  I’d start him without hesitation if Tranquil is out again in week 11 vs the Steelers.  Only note long-term on this situation is the return of Kenneth Murray.  In theory he could make the Chargers LB group a mess moving forward.  Anyone have more concrete info to go on here?
  • MIN LB Nick Vigil was again the replacement for Anthony Barr.  He only put up a tackle and an assist, but I’d have no issue starting him whenever Barr (or Kendricks) is out.  The same can be said for the player mentioned last week, MIN CB (on MFL) Camryn Bynum if Harrison Smith doesn’t get activated from the covid list.  Speaking of DB’s…
  • PIT S Minkah Fitzpatrick is unlikely to be cleared (covid) in time to play this week.  Sounds like a mess with Miles Killebrew and Tre Norwood getting some snaps.  Nothing to see there yet.
  • Mentioned IND S George Odum last week, this week I’ll add IND S Andrew Sendejo to the mix.  He’s the bigger head hunter at least.
  • Also previously mentioned NYJ S Sharrod Neasman as a replacement for Marcus Maye, but It appears that Jarrod Wilson will be that guy.  He’s worth a watch at this point.
Other

• Noticed PIT PN Pressley Harvin had an assist.  I had to look up “PN” on MFL…apparently that’s a punter.  Who knew? Congrats to those of you starting punters with the bonus assist.
  • Ditto with those of you that rolled the dice on OBJ – he looked great on his post-INT tackle at least!  Who’s the OBJ of IDPs? ❓

Other

• Noticed PIT PN Pressley Harvin had an assist.  I had to look up “PN” on MFL…apparently that’s a punter.  Who knew? Congrats to those of you starting punters with the bonus assist.
We use punters and it's awesome.  Our scoring puts them on par with other positions and the good ones put up double digit points and can get into the 20-'s.  They get points for inside the 20 (4 pts), total punting yards (gross), and punting average yds (gross).  I actually will search out my punter's game when they are up to punt. 

Users who are viewing this thread