What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gruden resigning (1 Viewer)

Wow. If what I'm seeing on Twitter reporting is accurate. 

His team seemed to have his back, so not sure what pushed him over the edge. And yes, cancel culture will eventually begin to eat its own if left unimpeded. 

This just came out: 

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-jon-gruden-repeatedly-used-homophobic-misogynist-language-in-email-exchanges-involving-bruce-allen-003823476.html

it’s not cancel culture. It’s consequences culture.  Apparently a slew of emails containing language that modern workplaces don’t tolerate were sent by Gruden, including calling Roger Goodell some very unflattering things. 

I would fire him from my company, too. 

People are getting soft. Unless it's a lot worse than what I've read, firing someone over some dumb comments in private emails is weak.

People are getting soft. Unless it's a lot worse than what I've read, firing someone over some dumb comments in private emails is weak.
It’s not about whether people are soft or not. That seems like blame shifting. 

Gruden is responsible for the things Gruden said. He is now facing consequences fir the things he chose to put in writing. 

That’s nothing new - it’s how the world has always been. 

This just came out: 

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-jon-gruden-repeatedly-used-homophobic-misogynist-language-in-email-exchanges-involving-bruce-allen-003823476.html

it’s not cancel culture. It’s consequences culture.  Apparently a slew of emails containing language that modern workplaces don’t tolerate were sent by Gruden, including calling Roger Goodell some very unflattering things. 

I would fire him from my company, too. 
They've had these emails at ESPN for over a decade. This supposedly holier than thou righteous company and never said a word about it but now they will act as if they are shocked and appalled. Gtfo. So sick of this society acting like church going nannies clutching their pearls while shoving their own skeletons deeper into their closet. 

I'm wondering if that's the big reason he's gone. That and he hasn't exactly done a great job running the raiders.
Right. They did just lose to da bears

It’s not about whether people are soft or not. That seems like blame shifting. 

Gruden is responsible for the things Gruden said. He is now facing consequences fir the things he chose to put in writing. 

That’s nothing new - it’s how the world has always been. 
It’s how it should be, but let’s not pretend we (meaning society) didn’t ignore or condone  this kind of stuff for many years. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. They did just lose you to

It’s how it should be, but let’s not pretend we (meaning society) didn’t ignore or condone  this kind of stuff for many years. 
Oh for sure - and guaranteed if it wasn’t in writing he’d still be working. But he broke the Cardinal rule & documented it. 

Tony Dungy was just running interference for him on SNF.  That’s a bad look just 24 hours later. 

How much of this was the Raiders owner seeing the writing on the wall in year 4 of a 10 year, $100m contract and telling Goodell to give him a get out of jail free card. Saved a cool $65m. And I guarantee Mark Davis agreed with and said every same damn thing himself that Gruden has. 

They've had these emails at ESPN for over a decade. This supposedly holier than thou righteous company and never said a word about it but now they will act as if they are shocked and appalled. Gtfo. So sick of this society acting like church going nannies clutching their pearls while shoving their own skeletons deeper into their closet. 
:goodposting:  This is a complete joke and my hatred for ESPN has grown tenfold.  

Think about it. If a subject you believed in was considered taboo by the powers-that-be, and you expressed righteous dissent from the side of the subject not considered taboo, how would you feel if your work terminated your employment in an entirely different industry.

I don't like this at all because I think it has really far-reaching consequences.

For instance, I've been called "anti-trans" on this board by people who take radical positions about the issue. I would not want them controlling my employment in another industry.

It's not how it should be. Expressing private opinions should not be cause for workplace terminating employment. It's a slippery slope that points toward too much power being in the hands of capital.

Why? What if the Raiders think he's a detriment to the team because of this? What if they don't want their team associated with that homophobic and racist and misogynistic language? What if the players don't want to be around it?

They can't fire him then? Or they shouldn't?  

Think about it. If a subject you believed in was considered taboo by the powers-that-be, and you expressed righteous dissent from the side of the subject not considered taboo, how would you feel if your work terminated your employment in an entirely different industry.

I don't like this at all because I think it has really far-reaching consequences.

For instance, I've been called "anti-trans" on this board by people who take radical positions about the issue. I would not want them controlling my employment in another industry.

Have you read the article tonight?

It's not how it should be. Expressing private opinions should not be cause for workplace terminating employment. It's a slippery slope that points toward too much power being in the hands of capital.
Oh, bull####.  It's got nothing to do with power in anyone's hands.  It about not denigrating others, being a decent human being, and not trying to blame anyone else if you are a complete ####up. 

The man has proven his character is crap, and he shouldn't be running a Dairy Queen, let alone a football team. 

"Among the 650,000 emails that were reviewed included several from Gruden starting in 2010 when he worked for ESPN as a "Monday Night Football" analyst. "
If I read a 2010 email written by Jon Gruden today, that does not mean that I had his email for a decade.

Why? What if the Raiders think he's a detriment to the team because of this? What if they don't want their team associated with that homophobic and racist and misogynistic language? What if the players don't want to be around it?

They can't fire him then? Or they shouldn't?  
I didn't say they can't fire him. As far as I know, employment is pretty much at-will in the NFL. Should they? I don't like the precedent it sets, that's all. This sounds like someone submarined him.

I hear you, but email is not private, and it's a mistake to believe that it is.
The only thing un-private about those emails is the degree to which the recipients decide it is, is how it oughta be.

This was gathered from another investigation and is ancillary to it. It should have remained private.

And I guarantee Mark Davis agreed with and said every same damn thing himself that Gruden has. 
I highly doubt that.

The Raiders have been the most inclusive of all NFL franchises, which has made them unpopular with most of the other team owners. 

The Oakland Raiders had the 1st black coach, the first woman to work a front office job, and the 1st Latin American coach in the NFL.

I do not believe they would condone racist, misogynistic or bigoted language from anyone in their organization, much less agree with it. That would be the opposite of everything that team has stood for. 

Oh, bull####.  It's got nothing to do with power in anyone's hands.  It about not denigrating others, being a decent human being, and not trying to blame anyone else if you are a complete ####up. 

The man has proven his character is crap, and he shouldn't be running a Dairy Queen, let alone a football team. 
It's who is deciding what is appropriate and what is not. Wait, this culture is coming for you.

I highly doubt that.

The Raiders have been the most inclusive of all NFL franchises, which has made them unpopular with most of the other team owners. 

The Oakland Raiders had the 1st black coach, the first woman to work a front office job, and the 1st Latin American coach in the NFL.

I do not believe they would condone racist, misogynistic or bigoted language from anyone in their organization, much less agree with it. That would be the opposite of everything that team has stood for. 

They apparently have condoned it twice by hiring Gruden because "Just Win Baby." You can't tell me the guy didn't say anything like this in his multiple stints without the owner hearing it. 

If true that these came from work emails, that’s different though. 

work email is basically company property. 

How much of this was the Raiders owner seeing the writing on the wall in year 4 of a 10 year, $100m contract and telling Goodell to give him a get out of jail free card. Saved a cool $65m. And I guarantee Mark Davis agreed with and said every same damn thing himself that Gruden has. 
A lot. This is a godsend for them. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had a hand in getting these emails. They had to get out of that mess. Also remember, The Raiders are maybe the poorest team in the league. Davis doesn’t have that much money and it’s all tied to the Raiders. 

Users who are viewing this thread